Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 9th March 2019, 15:06   #55241  |  Link
jorsan

Hi, just quick question: if you are in the market to spend up to 500,- in a gpu for HTPC only (no games or 3D movies) and get the most from madvr, what do you recomend?. Don't want to interrup the discussion but Im building a new HTPC, and your experience will help me to avoid mistakes. Thanks in avdance
jorsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2019, 15:21   #55242  |  Link
el Filou

madshi recommends GeForce RTX series.
500 what currency?
If 500 EUR and you search for the lowest prices, you can find the lowest priced RTX 2070s for just under that.

Last edited by el Filou; 9th March 2019 at 15:24.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2019, 15:30   #55243  |  Link
jorsan

thanks for your reply. US dollars, but if performace rise for something little bit over my price, I can move up to 650,- for expample
Old 9th March 2019, 16:46   #55244  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron2000 View Post
I too think this is it
I opened the casing while the video is going and heard it.

I turned it down to low but still hear it.

Ordered an external sound card, hope it will be better.

Thanks for the replies

External sound card will help with the noise that's dumping over on analog out if you connect to it via optical

if it's usb/ hdmi based input, then you have to make sure that the device has galvanic isolation couplers in its input circuit.

The PHYSICAL noise emitted from either the GPU or CPU due to Madvr, you can't do anything about that, except change to a different scaling setting.

You can also try using power modes on the cpu which force 100% or 50% peak frequency, which may help.

The same goes for the GPU, if you force one frequency, that sometimes fixes the noise.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 9th March 2019 at 16:58.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2019, 16:54   #55245  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorsan View Post
thanks for your reply. US dollars, but if performace rise for something little bit over my price, I can move up to 650,- for expample
Right now on the latest version of Madvr,

for 1080p material,

$150-170 used 1060gtx 6gb,

Ngu medium chroma,
Ngu very high luma,
Bicubic 2nd chroma

For 2.x : 1 ratio 1080p

Ngu high chroma
Ngu very high luma,
Ngu low 2nd chroma

for 4K w/ HDR, w/ highlight recover w/ tonemapping w/3dLut

Ngu low chroma

Going into the future, 1060 is clearly not going to cut the cheese if NGU is a priority.

I'm not totes sure the current higher GPU prices are worthwhile to pump that NGU, because you're really only getting better Chroma scaling on 4K, which you absolutely can not see the difference if the image is moving..

If you have alot of 1080p material, 1060 is more than adequate for that. You might consider a used 1070 for wiggle room..

1060 will give you a baseline. Everything below 1060 shouldn't be bought at this point.

Everything more expensive than the 1060 has QUESTIONABLE benefits. But the benefits ARE THERE.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 9th March 2019 at 17:29.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2019, 17:39   #55246  |  Link
Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
i got a system freeze when moving from 1080p60 to 1080p120 screen with your setting.

>if< the source for the freeze is madVR not one of the other possible candidates it should be fixed ASAP in my opinion.

i will try to create a debug log but that'S not a lot of fun when you have to freeze your system.
oh that's great! thank you so much for your help! I had tested it with mpc-hc and mpc-be and it only happened when it was using madVR not when using their own presenter, so I was pretty sure it was mad!

Last edited by Stan; 9th March 2019 at 18:42.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2019, 18:39   #55247  |  Link
iron2000
Questioning User

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
Unsure how a sound card will fix this if you can hear it inside the case tbh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
External sound card will help with the noise that's dumping over on analog out if you connect to it via optical

if it's usb/ hdmi based input, then you have to make sure that the device has galvanic isolation couplers in its input circuit.

The PHYSICAL noise emitted from either the GPU or CPU due to Madvr, you can't do anything about that, except change to a different scaling setting.

You can also try using power modes on the cpu which force 100% or 50% peak frequency, which may help.

The same goes for the GPU, if you force one frequency, that sometimes fixes the noise.
My PC case is padded so the physical whine is pretty silent from the outside.

The Xonar U7 MkII external sound card arrived.
Set it up and no more noise when using madVR.

Looks like the Xonar DX don't go well with a GTX 1060.
Old 9th March 2019, 20:24   #55248  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron2000 View Post
My PC case is padded so the physical whine is pretty silent from the outside.

The Xonar U7 MkII external sound card arrived.
Set it up and no more noise when using madVR.

Looks like the Xonar DX don't go well with a GTX 1060.
Um.. well if you're using optical spdif input , then there shouldn't be any noise.

But if you're still using copper, the noise might be still there, but the card could have better muting-transistor/detection than your old analog out.

Either way, it looks like the xonar mk2 has optical, GO OPTICAL. !!
Old 9th March 2019, 20:48   #55249  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Either way, it looks like the xonar mk2 has optical, GO OPTICAL. !!
Analog Output
4 x 3.5 mm jack (1/8") (Headphone out /Side out/Center-Subwoofer out/Rear out)
2 x RCA (Un-Balanced)
Analog Input
1 x 3.5 mm jack (1/8") (Line-in/ Mic-in combo)
Digital
1 x S/PDIF out (1 x Coaxial)

Errrr

Think it comes with an optical adapter, but I still don't get how an external sound card can make any difference, unless its to do with a different headphone port, ah well as long as it is better.

Sounds similar : https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...89#post1840489

http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=575

Last edited by madjock; 9th March 2019 at 21:36.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2019, 22:46   #55250  |  Link
jorsan

thanks for your replies
Old 10th March 2019, 01:36   #55251  |  Link
vanden

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
The recommended resolution isn't even 2048x1536 even though it's the highest listed, it's 1600x1200. LaCie also lists an aperture grille pitch of 0,24mm which for this tube size gives ~1690 lines.

(CRTs don't really have a 'native definition', btw)
You're right, I made an image with a white column and a black column repeated and indeed it is only in 1600 that we can tell the number of columns ... :
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/3055/QIngq0.jpg
Yet for me it's visually more beautiful in 1920 than in 1600 ...
vanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2019, 06:06   #55252  |  Link
TheProfosist

Trying to troubleshoot something. On my HTPC (Win10x64-1809v2, i7-4820K, 32GB ram, RTX2060, 4K HDR Sony TV) I cant seem to get pans to be smooth even though im withing the render times on a per frame basis. I can disable more things to lower it further and it doesn't seem to improve it. Yes smooth motion is on in the when needed but should be needed her 23fps content and display changed to 24fps. It doesnt show dropped or duplicated frames for how stuttery it is. Previously had the 1060 in there no real improvement going to the 2060.

Ideas on troubleshooting this would be helpful. I have tried:

using different decoders in lav filters. Anything other than CUVID just seems worse
MPC-HC versions 1.7.13 and 1.8.4
madVR versions 0.92.14 and now 0.92.17
upgraded the GPU
lower settings from NGU to superxbr to jinc
increasing buffer from 8 to 16 (though im not sure if 6GB vram is enough for this)

I have not completely wiped my madVR settings to see if it does it from scratch since I thought I would post here first to see if someone has ideas.
TheProfosist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2019, 07:36   #55253  |  Link
ryrynz

Are the pans even meant to be smooth though? Here's a test, copy your content on to a USB flash drive and play it back through the TV's USB port.
Worth taking note of the picture settings and make sure they're applied to your HDMI input you're using for the HTPC.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2019, 14:28   #55254  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfosist View Post
Trying to troubleshoot something. On my HTPC (Win10x64-1809v2, i7-4820K, 32GB ram, RTX2060, 4K HDR Sony TV) I cant seem to get pans to be smooth even though im withing the render times on a per frame basis.
Is the Nvidia control panel 3D setting "Power management mode" on Optimal Power? It should not be.

Is the Windows 10 Focus Assist enabled in anyway? Disable it, including the extra options, just the global disable is not enough.

Are you running F.lux?
Old 10th March 2019, 15:01   #55255  |  Link
austinminton

Quote:
I cant seem to get pans to be smooth even though im withing the render times on a per frame basis.
Try full screen exclusive. It fixed stuttering issues for me on my 2080ti.
austinminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2019, 17:33   #55256  |  Link
TheProfosist

Quote:
Trying to troubleshoot something. On my HTPC (Win10x64-1809v2, i7-4820K, 32GB ram, RTX2060, 4K HDR Sony TV) I cant seem to get pans to be smooth even though im withing the render times on a per frame basis. I can disable more things to lower it further and it doesn't seem to improve it. Yes smooth motion is on in the when needed but should be needed her 23fps content and display changed to 24fps. It doesnt show dropped or duplicated frames for how stuttery it is. Previously had the 1060 in there no real improvement going to the 2060.

Ideas on troubleshooting this would be helpful. I have tried:

using different decoders in lav filters. Anything other than CUVID just seems worse
MPC-HC versions 1.7.13 and 1.8.4
madVR versions 0.92.14 and now 0.92.17
upgraded the GPU
lower settings from NGU to superxbr to jinc
increasing buffer from 8 to 16 (though im not sure if 6GB vram is enough for this)

I have not completely wiped my madVR settings to see if it does it from scratch since I thought I would post here first to see if someone has ideas.
would like to add that I have also tried moving the source to an NVMe SSD
I have also tried turning off HDR
neither of these show improvement

Quote:
1060 will give you a baseline. Everything below 1060 shouldn't be bought at this point.

Everything more expensive than the 1060 has QUESTIONABLE benefits. But the benefits ARE THERE.
when going to 4K and using NGU I would have to agree. In some cases a 1060 is just enough which is why I went up to the 2060

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Are the pans even meant to be smooth though? Here's a test, copy your content on to a USB flash drive and play it back through the TV's USB port.
Worth taking note of the picture settings and make sure they're applied to your HDMI input you're using for the HTPC.

yes these should be smooth. Examples would be in live action Ghost In the Shell when they pan up the buildings to where she is standing.

Another would be in the beginning of blade runner 2049 or really any time they pan across a large area.

These pans happen in anime very often as well found some good ones in Hozuki's Coolheadedness and Mardock Scramble that I have been testing with.

These all are normally buttery smooth but now they have are stutters. Not like the normal judder you'd see displaying 24fps on 60fps screen but more hitching than anything like some frames kind of catch and hang more than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Is the Nvidia control panel 3D setting "Power management mode" on Optimal Power? It should not be.

Is the Windows 10 Focus Assist enabled in anyway? Disable it, including the extra options, just the global disable is not enough.

Are you running F.lux?
its on Prefer maximum performance

Focus assist is completely turned off

no I'm not running that and I have not yet calibrated the TV as I haven't had the time to look into that yet, especially for HDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinminton View Post
Try full screen exclusive. It fixed stuttering issues for me on my 2080ti.
I always run full screen exclusive on this system since it only has one display and watching is all I will be doing on it.
TheProfosist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2019, 19:58   #55257  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
These all are normally buttery smooth but now they have are stutters. Not like the normal judder you'd see displaying 24fps on 60fps screen but more hitching than anything like some frames kind of catch and hang more than others.
I read somewhere about a Windows 10 update that was affecting games and maybe video, did you just update ? change drivers etc...

The way you explain it is as if something has changed recently ?

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...ring-in-games/

Last edited by madjock; 10th March 2019 at 20:05.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2019, 20:58   #55258  |  Link
brazen1

Use D3D11 auto/native in LAV Filter.
Turn off SM in madVR.
Match refresh rates using madVR for all resolutions in 2160p only.
Add 2 blank folders to madVR install directory named ShowHdrMode and ShowRenderSteps.
Link a screen shot of your OSD.

Slow pans should be butter smooth with absolutely no hitches in the giddy up at all. No judder, no blur, no dropped/repeated frames. Nothing but bliss no matter the resolution. Opening scene of Cowboys and Aliens or opening credits of The Wrestler are my go to test subjects.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2019, 21:30   #55259  |  Link
ryrynz

Sounds like an OS/Driver issue. You should revert to your last good backup/System Restore point.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2019, 22:04   #55260  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Use D3D11 auto/native in LAV Filter.
Turn off SM in madVR.
Match refresh rates using madVR for all resolutions in 2160p only.
Add 2 blank folders to madVR install directory named ShowHdrMode and ShowRenderSteps.
Link a screen shot of your OSD.

Slow pans should be butter smooth with absolutely no hitches in the giddy up at all. No judder, no blur, no dropped/repeated frames. Nothing but bliss no matter the resolution. Opening scene of Cowboys and Aliens or opening credits of The Wrestler are my go to test subjects.
What does this mean, -match refresh rates using madvr for all resolutions- ?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling