Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 30th December 2008, 21:11   #201  |  Link
Furiousflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
Well I just finished backing up The Scorpion King, NTSC, Full backup, 4.09GB and burned to DVD+RW. Not having much success here and I am not sure what the problem is. Let me clarify - the audio for the main movie just does not play when burned to a DVD+RW, as with previous attempts. The main menu only plays for about 33 seconds before pausing, and when it continues, there is only audio while the video remains a still image at the pause point. I can select the menu buttons for the disc, so all is still functioning. However, after selecting play, the movie starts and the video looks great, just no audio is heard. Also, as with other backup tests reported, I cannot select subtitles from the remote, no pop up or available subtitles are displayed. Same with audio button, no pop up to display other available tracks.
So I burn the same files to a BD-RE disc, and now the audio and subtitles play fine, with the ability to change both audio and subtitle tracks from the remote during playback of the movie.( There is only the 1 eng. AC3 audio file that plays of course, but the button on the remote brings up the options as if there were other tracks available). The menu video still does its pause at the same time interval as the DVD+RW. However, this is not a big concern since I usually press play before the menu loop anyway, but I just wanted to report my findings.
I only have the Sony BDP-BX1 to test with, so I don't know if it is player related or if it could be a BD-RB bug. I use only the default settings, and ImgBurn.
I have made numerous movie only backups, not with BD-RB, and never had a problem.BDP-BX1 plays back movie only perfectly. I hope these tests I have reported can help track down if there is a bug, or if I need to do or change something, I am open to any and all suggestions. I would like to be able to keep the menus and burn to DVD-R or DVD+R DL just like all of those succesful reports I have read!
A DVD+RW\-RW is NOT a good thing to use to make an a assertion that something doesn't work. Lots of standalone players have problems even with normal DVD-Video on them.

I suspect there are lots of Bluray players that are fine with a DVD9 in the bluray format but not with +RW\-RW media.

You shouldn't even be using RW for this sort of thing.
Furiousflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 23:49   #202  |  Link
jdobbs

I just updated the first post in this thread with an update. The newest beta is v0.17.12:

Code:
- Enabled alternate target sizes in the INI file.
- Corrected the ColorBoost option -- in previous
  versions it could cause the AVS to fail.
- Correct an error in which FieldDeinterlace() could
  be inserted out-of-order in the AVS file.
- Updated the version of Aften apparently the previous 
  version released can have issues on
  some computers.
- Added a hidden parmeter "MKV_INTERMEDIATE=1" - this
  sets the intermediate file format to ".MKV" rather
  than ".264".  It is meant to support a certain
  player that gradually goes out-of-sync (for some
  unknown reason).
- Other minor corrections and cosmetic fixes.
Old 31st December 2008, 00:40   #203  |  Link
Chefkoch_ico

In 0.17.12, was there also something fixed, that caused previously a movie not to start in full backup mode?

I have this problem with The Mummy 3. It starts normally, but when pressing play from the main menu, the screen gets black and nothing happens.

I was using Cyberlink filters but especially on this title, some VC1 m2ts did not decode properly, so i am running now with 0.17.11 the same test again but now with ffdshow.

Bye
Chefkoch_ico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 01:04   #204  |  Link
TBL

Not that it was supposed to be fixed but I thought to confirm that the crash resulting from different regional settings is present on v0.17.12.

I really like where this tool is heading, and can't wait to play with it more when I get my BD reader back
TBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 01:30   #205  |  Link
~bT~
н∂-ƒαиαтι¢

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I did that (changed CODEC to WMV9) in the example posted -- it still didn't play right (blockiness).
same issue here..
~bT~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 04:06   #206  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SLiM]D12 View Post
I can but we'll have to wait until tomorrow when my encode is complete.
Did you get a chance to try the new version of AFTEN? I'd like to keep up if it is working with your setup.
Old 31st December 2008, 04:17   #207  |  Link
Capsbackup

@Furiousflea
Quote:
A DVD+RW\-RW is NOT a good thing to use to make an a assertion that something doesn't work. Lots of standalone players have problems even with normal DVD-Video on them.

I suspect there are lots of Bluray players that are fine with a DVD9 in the bluray format but not with +RW\-RW media.

You shouldn't even be using RW for this sort of thing.
I see your point, well received. Just to rule this out I will try a Verbatim DVD-R. I was not implying the program doesn't work, just my experience and results. Quite the contrary, I am extremely pleased with this program and jdobbs efforts, and quite impressed with it's capabilities. Nowhere have I seen a program capable of complete backups of Blu-Ray discs, let alone free. Another donation is overdo!!
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 05:02   #208  |  Link
[SLiM]D12

Quote:
Did you get a chance to try the new version of AFTEN? I'd like to keep up if it is working with your setup.
no i haven't done it, totally forgot. I'll do it tomorrow night. Got some BD-RE 50 GB discs coming so i can do more testing. I'll do it tomorrow for sure and let you know.
Old 31st December 2008, 07:59   #209  |  Link
mochevolete

after a whooping 24+ hrs of encoding this morning I found an error caused by aften (from v0.17.11), the error log says: ReencodeAudio() 00006 ,
maybe this will be sorted out by the new version

a couple of questions, do you have any idea why it took so long ? I have a E6400 with 2GB of RAM, the reason could be that the BR folder was on an external USB drive ?
mochevolete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 11:02   #210  |  Link
turbojet

jdobbs thanks for the mkv_intermediate setting, it fixed my sync issue with mpc(hc).

I tried target_size=4470 on 2 different BD's so far, one came out to be 4506 MB, other came out to 4569 MB both used quick extras setting. I'm retrying without 'quick' now. But I notice that x264 comes very close to its target bitrate. Do you use for something like this for calculating main movie bitrate in quick extras mode: everything except stream directory on BD + extras after they are encoded + main movie bitrate + audio + subs + overhead = TARGET_SIZE?
Is the method different without using quick extras?
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 11:15   #211  |  Link
turbojet

mochevolete it could be the external USB drive, but during x264 encoding the drive should be able to provide enough speed to not be a bottleneck. But it'll be a bottleneck when you demux and mux. What encode speed do you get?
Old 31st December 2008, 11:42   #212  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet
Is the method different without using quick extras?
When encoding without quick extras a two pass encode is done on all files with a set reduction ratio. When using quick extras a single pass encode is done that uses a standard CRF that should get the size reasonably close (but not exact) as an average. Then when all the smaller files are completed, the remaining space is used to calculate bitrate needed for largest M2TS (main feature).
Old 31st December 2008, 12:24   #213  |  Link
Chefkoch_ico

Hi!

I have an issue with "The mummy 3". There are some problematic VC1 files. They play fine from the original disc with AnyDVD in PowerDVD, however, I get artefacts, crashs, or they simple dont play, when playing them (the m2ts) in MPC or via Avisynth.

So the encode also does not work.

I have read somewhere here, that with DGVC1DecNV, these files work. I have not NVidia card, but I plan to buy one.

It would be great if the AVS Scripts are all created at the beginning, so I can change the ones, which have problems to use DGVC1DecNV.

Bye
Old 31st December 2008, 13:15   #214  |  Link
turbojet

Quote:
When encoding without quick extras a two pass encode is done on all files with a set reduction ratio. When using quick extras a single pass encode is done that uses a standard CRF that should get the size reasonably close (but not exact) as an average. Then when all the smaller files are completed, the remaining space is used to calculate bitrate needed for largest M2TS (main feature).
hmm I wonder the issue has something to do with audio or subs overhead. I had first 2 hit target size, well good enough 4369 and 4375 MB, but since I've gotten 4225 MB and 4464 MB with the defualt DVD5 size of 4369 MB. Lots of variance and I can't see anything uncommon between them. The 4225 and 4375 results had ac3 audio, while 4369 and 4464 had DTS audio. All had 3 subtitles except 4375 MB only had 2.
Old 31st December 2008, 13:44   #215  |  Link
mochevolete

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
mochevolete it could be the external USB drive, but during x264 encoding the drive should be able to provide enough speed to not be a bottleneck. But it'll be a bottleneck when you demux and mux. What encode speed do you get?
I have copied the folder to the local drive, the encoding is in progress and in this very moment I have a 10,10fps (40% global process)
mochevolete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 13:45   #216  |  Link
Chefkoch_ico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkoch_ico View Post
It would be great if the AVS Scripts are all created at the beginning, so I can change the ones, which have problems to use DGVC1DecNV.
Just ordered the card. Should get it in 2 days.
@jdobbs:
Would be great, if you could create a version which creates the Video AVS scripts in the beginning or dont overwrite existing AVSscripts, when resume a job (maybe optional)

I would really enjoy, testing this.

Bye
Old 31st December 2008, 14:02   #217  |  Link
Furiousflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
@Furiousflea

I see your point, well received. Just to rule this out I will try a Verbatim DVD-R. I was not implying the program doesn't work, just my experience and results. Quite the contrary, I am extremely pleased with this program and jdobbs efforts, and quite impressed with it's capabilities. Nowhere have I seen a program capable of complete backups of Blu-Ray discs, let alone free. Another donation is overdo!!
I'm in the same boat as you, donated to DVD-RB a few years ago and it looks like another one will be truely deserved for this.

Sorry if I came across a bit coarse about DVD+RW, just my annoying internet manner For all I know it might not be a problem, best to rule it out though.
Furiousflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 14:54   #218  |  Link
vwpassion

Thanks jdobbs for the update. I've ran my first test now with a custom target size (set to 4475 MB), movie-only, and it came out 4290 MB. I had "Do not convert DTS to AC3" and "Do not reencode to AC3" checked, but nonetheless bd-rb encoded to AC3 from DTS HD Master audio (instead of using the DTS core).

Code:
[Status]
LABEL=MENSCH_DAVE
VERSION=v0.17.12 (beta)
SOURCE_SIZE=24469856256
SOURCE_VIDEO_SIZE=24469856256
TARGET_SIZE=4692377600
REDUCTION=.19176155147415
AUDIO_TO_KEEP=eng;
SUBS_TO_KEEP=all
BACKUP_MODE=1
QUICK=0
PASS=0
COMPLETED=1
REBUILD_COMPLETE=1
[00005]
M2TS_TARGET=4692377600
RATE=5734
NSIZE=4498900992
FLINK=0
MLINK=0
Btw, no more problems now with MKV_INTERMEDIATE=1 and mpc-hc.
vwpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 15:32   #219  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Thanks jdobbs for the update. I've ran my first test now with a custom target size (set to 4475 MB), movie-only, and it came out 4290 MB. I had "Do not convert DTS to AC3" and "Do not reencode to AC3" checked, but nonetheless bd-rb encoded to AC3 from DTS HD Master audio (instead of using the DTS core).
It encoded, yes, because it always does. But which did it use? Post the MUX_nnnnn.META file for the main movie so I can see which track was muxed into the stream.

Last edited by jdobbs; 31st December 2008 at 15:34.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 15:47   #220  |  Link
vwpassion

Quote:
It encoded, yes, because it always does. But which did it use? Post the MUX_nnnnn.META file for the main movie so I can see which track was muxed into the stream.
Sorry, the workfolder has already been overwritten now, since am running another test. But bd-rb used the AC3 that it encoded from the DTS Master HD audio (448 kbps).

Code:
Audio
ID                               : 4352 (0x1100)
Menu ID                          : 1 (0x1)
Format                           : AC-3
Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3
Duration                         : 1h 30mn
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 448 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
This is what MediaInfo reports on the movie m2ts.
vwpassion is offline   Reply With Quote