Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th October 2004, 03:03   #21  |  Link
jeanl

Quote:
BTW, you may not kill playback on a menu with buttons. Have you checked that?
Oh my, I forgot about that! That would certainly break playback. But wouldn't vobblanker scream at you? It warns you if there are cell commands or buttons.... I'm puzzled.
I also found the quote from the user who got an unplayable DVD with vobblanker. It's here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83701
Quote:
Originally posted by J-Wo
okay, so I used VobBlanker to remove one company logo from the VTS menu, 2 warning screens from the VMG menu, and an entire VTS of trailers. The result plays perfectly thru PowerDVD and on my Sony DVP-NS315, so that on DVD insert it goes straight to the transition animation to the main menu. BUT on my newer Panasonic DVP-S25 it's a different story. When I put in my disc, it reads it for a second and then just stops -- it doesn't autoplay into anything. When I press play, it starts playing Movie 1. If I press menu, it goes to the main menu but doesn't play the transition.

I'm going to give PgcEdit a try to remove those trailers. But does anyone know why my Panasonic is giving me so much trouble? (it also doesn't seem to like DVD+RWs as much as DVD+Rs, but I do most of my playback on RWs until I know the encoding went okay.)
Jeanl
jeanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2004, 04:18   #22  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

Quote:
Originally posted by jeanl
Oh my, I forgot about that!
Remember your second post in this thread?

Last edited by 2COOL; 15th October 2004 at 05:42.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2004, 04:32   #23  |  Link
jeanl

no, I don't remember, and I can't find it!
In any case, remember it's blutach who's having the playback problem. I yet have to find a case where pgcedit's kill playback hasn't worked for me...
Jeanl
jeanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2004, 05:43   #24  |  Link
2COOL

Besides the disclaimers on what I had with the thread, PgcEdit's Kill Playback works for me!
Old 15th October 2004, 07:12   #25  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

I have managed to look at how VOBBlanker works compared to PGCEdit in relation converting post commands to pres.

PGCEdit - which also works well for me - converts its post commands to pre commands in exactly the same way EXCEPT that it leaves the post commands in.

VOBBlanker, on the other hand, converts the commands the result being NO post commands.

Example follows showing number of commands from VMGM, LU1, VOBID1, no buttons:

Now, if, for some reason, the cell is executed, under PGCEdit there is no problems. The post commands are still there and can be executed.

However, under VOBBlanker, there are no post commands, which may spell death to playback.

Solution: jsoto, when converting posts to pre commands, retain the post commands.

Hope this is a help.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2004, 08:34   #26  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

Yue're right. PgcEdit mode of commands processing is more, let's say "elegant".
I can do it, but I've to move the tables inside the IFO, because the command area grows. But this part of code is a little bit dirty in VobBlanker, so I prefer to keep it as it is.

But, I'm curious, why you cell is executed?

jsoto
jsoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2004, 09:05   #27  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

@jsoto

See what 2Cool says above about cell execution if Link commands present.

Old 15th October 2004, 09:08   #28  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

@Everybody

Is a viable strategy then to blank a cell using VOBBlanker (not changing post into pre commands) and then use PGCEdit to kill playback?

Old 15th October 2004, 09:25   #29  |  Link
wlj101

What is the meaning of "Kill Playback on Titles"

I am a DVD newbies and I read every single page here.

I want to enable the "Navigational Slider" on PowerDVD. What can I do with pcgedit? Is there any a guide for this? I know how to use the IfoEdit to edit the PUO command in VTS_PCGITI before. But some DVD doesn't work. I hope someone can tell me how to do it with pcgedit.

Thanz
wlj101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2004, 20:25   #30  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

Quote:
Is a viable strategy then to blank a cell using VOBBlanker (not changing post into pre commands) and then use PGCEdit to kill playback?
Sure. And... seems to me that a different order in the execution of the tools will produce the same result, because pgcEdit do not touch the PGC itself.

@wlj101
Quote:
What is the meaning of "Kill Playback on Titles"
The goal is to do NOT play the unwanted titles, just bypassing them.

Quote:
I want to enable the "Navigational Slider" on PowerDVD. What can I do with pcgedit? Is there any a guide for this? I know how to use the IfoEdit to edit the PUO command in VTS_PCGITI before. But some DVD doesn't work. I hope someone can tell me how to do it with pcgedit.
Mmmm. This is out of scope of this thread, I can give you some different reasons..., but I think it's better to do a search and/or start other thread about this topic.

Possible causes of non working "Navigational Slider" on PowerDVD
- A PUOP in the IFO or the VOB.
- No TMAPTI table in the IFO.
And, in menu domain, I think it never works because there is not an equivalent TMAPTI table in this domain..

jsoto
Old 15th October 2004, 21:43   #31  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

@blutach
If you want, we can continue the discussion in this thread but my question is still open
why you cell is executed?
were you using VobBlanker 1.5.0.4 or higher?

I'd like to know if your case is a bug in the code or if it is an "unsupported" case. You can see the algorithm I'm using in the thread I've pointed out. This algorithm tries to find the link commands

jsoto

Last edited by jsoto; 15th October 2004 at 21:46.
Old 18th October 2004, 19:16   #32  |  Link
CoNS
reMember

Hiya 2COOL,

I've been using some of your guides, both some of the older ones and the newer ones for PgcEdit. Thank you very much for taking the time to make those guides. They're extremely useful I must say, and very detailed. They work like a charm.

Can you (or any other fellow user) give me a hint on the best way of removing audio (and/or subtitle) streams from a DVD. I have a DVD with the original audio dubbed in other languages, which I want to get rid of in order to save space for the video.

There're also subtitles in a lot of (for me) unuseful languages, but they don't take up so much space, but if I remove the obsolete audio and subtitle streams, this specific dvd will probably fit into a 4.7 gb DVDR without doing any video compression.

If video compression had been involved, I could have used DVD-Rebuilder to remove the streams (even though there seems to be an error in DVD-Rebuilder as it somehow doesn't remove all of the obsolete subtitle streams that I checked in the options menu and that is also marked in the DVD-RB ini file).

But how do I do it without DVD-RB, if I don't want to reauthor the DVD all the way from scratch, and if I only want to use freeware software?

I've tried two different methods, without success:

1) Using DVD-Shrink, full backup. Set it to no video compression and uncheck the unwanted audio and subtitle streams. However, last time I tried to do it (a few months ago), DVD-Shrink moved up all the audio/subtitle streams. So the language selection menus didn't worked properly thereafter

2) Demux the DVD with VobEdit and remux it again with IfoEdit, leaving out the unwanted audio and subtitle streams. This would give me the same problem as described under 1) - the streams aren't in "the right place" anymore. I could then fill up the slots by replacing the unwanted streams with empty streams, but this method involves too much trouble and too many steps and harddisk space in my book!

Do you have a different and easier way of doing it? Perhaps the DVD-Shrink method is alright if I only then knew how to correct the .ifo files with PgcEdit or IfoEdit, so that the language menus would work, too...

Thanks in advance

/ CoNS
CoNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2004, 01:29   #33  |  Link
DMagic1

Interesting topic.
DMagic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2004, 07:33   #34  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

@CoNS
Ifoedit strip (VOB extras) and VobBlanker are able to strip audio languages keeping the other ones in their original place.
DVDShrink is also able, just uncheck "Logical remapping of enabled streams." in Edit> preferences, output files tab.

Ah!, there are also some 2COOL's guides about how remap the streams.

jsoto

EDIT:
Quote:
Demux the DVD with VobEdit and remux it again with IfoEdit
This is not a good practice. VobEdit does not know nothing about the PGCs inside the VOB (It does not open the IFO), so you will get bad results in the case of a multi-PGC VOB.

Last edited by jsoto; 19th October 2004 at 07:37.
Old 19th October 2004, 08:01   #35  |  Link
CoNS
reMember

jsoto, thanks for the tips! I'll try 'em out.

How do you partly strip the audio (remove unwanted streams completely) using VobBlanker?
Old 19th October 2004, 08:13   #36  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

@CoNS
Quote:
How do you partly strip the audio (remove unwanted streams completely) using VobBlanker?
Select the PGC in main dlg and push "strip" button. A new dialog will pop up to select the streams

jsoto
Old 19th October 2004, 10:40   #37  |  Link
2COOL

@CoNS

Quote:
Originally posted by jsoto
DVDShrink is also able, just uncheck "Logical remapping of enabled streams." in Edit> preferences, output files tab.
If you want to know more about this option, I've documented it here, “Logical remapping of enabled streams” option explained.

Quote:
Ah!, there are also some 2COOL's guides about how remap the streams.
Correcting Stripped Stream Attributes Left AFTER DVDShrink Transcoding
Old 19th October 2004, 19:42   #38  |  Link
CoNS
reMember

Ahh, you guys, jsoto and 2COOL...! Thanks for your help, it was exactly the info I needed

jsoto, does your strip function in VobBlanker change the IFOs? In other words: Does it work like having "Logical remapping of enabled streams" checked or unchecked in DVD-Shrink?
Old 19th October 2004, 21:56   #39  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

VobBlanker disables the stripped audios. In other words, acts (once again 2COOL has clearly described the scenarios) as Logical remapping UNchecked in dvdshrink
jsoto
Old 19th October 2004, 22:27   #40  |  Link
CoNS
reMember

Does both methods (stripping audio streams using VobBlanker or DVD-Shrink) take around the same time?

As I'm going to edit the menu buttons afterwards (delete the buttons for the removed audio languages in the selection menu) with MenuEdit, it looks like the best solution for me is checking the option on DVD-Shrink, because this leaves me with fewer streams to cycle through with my remote control?

The default setting in DVD-Shrink is that the option is not checked. And I haven't played with that option until now. But as I desribed in my first post, I've had bad luck using DVD-Shrink (v3.1) for removing the first and last audio streams on a DVD and keeping some audio streams in bewteen.

What happened was that when I - after stripping some audio tracks with DVD-Shrink before and after the trakcs I wanted to keep - played the DVD and selected the language of one the audio streams that I kept on the DVD, the order of the audio streams was somehow messed up, playing a different one of the audio streams that I kept. I didn't use any other DVD editing tool other than DVD-Shrink on that particular DVD....

Judging from 2COOL's examples in the above mentioned post, this problem shouldn't occur in any of the methods?

Last edited by CoNS; 19th October 2004 at 22:31.