Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-2 Encoding
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th September 2009, 06:22   #1  |  Link
dookus
What's this then?

Tmpenc & fixing Audio problems unable to fix so far

I have a mpg file captured through an analogue capture device, unable to re-capture....so stuck wih he file I have ... when opened with Corel DVD movie factory 7 or Ulead dvd movie factory 3 to edit it has no audio and if edited the resultan file has no audio either.., I have demuxed and remuxed with Tempenc with no change to the problem, if I convert the whole file to an avi it is editable .. but this is no good as quality is pathetic after several lossy to lossy conversions.
The file plays ok in both VLC and media player.
anyone have any ideas?
I have the .m2v & .mp2 files from the demux.

the only info gspot gives on the file

(S) --> MPEG-2 Demultiplexer --> CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD8) --> Overlay Mixer2 --> (R)
&
(S) --> MPEG-2 Demultiplexer --> ffdshow Audio Decoder --> (R)

captured on an older Winfast hardware card using an older version of Winfast PVR through the analogue input .. this card / software sometimes produces a file broken in this way.

anyone have any ideas?
Old 17th September 2009, 20:07   #2  |  Link
Taurus

A little more information, please
Verify the bitrate and sampling frequency of your audio track.
May I suggest you use Mediainfo in text mode and show us the log file?
Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 20:12   #3  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

Take the original file and index it with DGIndex (fix with ProjectX first if necessary). Apply filters as desirable in Avisynth. Either convert to a lossless Lagarith or FFV1 intermediate video file (and PCM-in-WAV audio file) or encode both audio and video directly by passing avs scripts to your favorite encoders.
Inspector.Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 12:21   #4  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookus View Post
The file plays ok in both VLC and media player.
I have the .m2v & .mp2 files from the demux.
Which file plays ok, the captured/original one?
Does the audio file plays ok after demuxing?

What do you intend to do with the video? The reason for this question is to see if there is any software you can use for your purpose, other than Corel/Pegasys/etc.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 01:43   #5  |  Link
dookus
What's this then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Which file plays ok, the captured/original one?
Does the audio file plays ok after demuxing?

What do you intend to do with the video? The reason for this question is to see if there is any software you can use for your purpose, other than Corel/Pegasys/etc.
Both the original captured file and the file created from demux/remux play ok ... it's that they all play without audio and any editing creates a file without audio when edited in the editing programs I own, both video and audio play well when demuxed.

I ultimately, when I have the file edited will use either dr divx or avi.net to convert it then store it on a DVD with many other files for my family, perhaps host it on my web site with some others so remote relatives can view and download them. .. these are files captured from old dvd's etc of family stuff.. but the tape was in such a bad way and it needed repair twice and has now been thrown away it has decayed so badly.

Last edited by dookus; 21st September 2009 at 01:45.
dookus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 09:42   #6  |  Link
Ghitulescu

If you intend to keep the file anyway as AVI (I assume that are dr divx and/or avi.net for, as I personally never heard of) why do you edit it as MPEG-2?
What kind of edit do you perform on your file? Can't you do it in vdub (with frameserving or not)?
For audio I suggest to run the original file through Vdub, click Full audio processing and save as wave, this way Vdub will output you a decoded WAVE file, you can reencode with a tool of your choice. You can use this file (WAV or reencoded) in place of your original sound.
Old 22nd September 2009, 08:59   #7  |  Link
dookus
What's this then?

Used Video Cutter to trim the file at the end and the begging, the resultant file has some strange though acceptable background noise... used the file in Corel DVD movie factory and edited it to where i was happy with it.
Thanks for all your help.
I find it strange though that one member relied that they have never heard of Dr Divx or AVI.net ... well .. google search would help you there buddy.
Old 22nd September 2009, 13:28   #8  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookus View Post
I find it strange though that one member relied that they have never heard of Dr Divx or AVI.net ... well .. google search would help you there buddy.
Well, you see, here at Doom9.org people do not rely on dubious 1click software, like these you get on the first places in google.com since they pay or trick the ranking system, but on solid software like avisynth/virtualdub in combination with a solid codec. You don't need the help of google to find that avisynth has its own thread here ...

There are people like me that prefer to use only a handfull of tools, each in a perfect condition (few bugs, and you know how to circumvent them), instead of cheap commercial software, which is often full of bugs and/or adware.

And if one finds a software with a search engine, it does not automatically mean that he knows the software, it simply means that s/he has heard of.

Which Video Cutter did you use?

Quote:
I have a mpg file captured through an analogue capture device, unable to re-capture
Quote:
these are files captured from old dvd's etc of family stuff
By the way, I simply don't understand why on hell did you analoguely captured a DVD, when you could have used a DVD ripper, the simplest one, since your family DVDs are anyway unprotected ???

Last edited by Guest; 3rd June 2010 at 14:45. Reason: spam
Old 3rd June 2010, 10:42   #9  |  Link
dookus
What's this then?

It was not a capture of a DVD, it was a capture from a satellite receiver through the analogue line in on a hardware PCI encoder, home built PVR basically.

these problems have been fixed by the use of ProjextX and then remuxing.

Dr Divx (Dr Divx OSS) is a very good open source continuation of Divx's original Dr Divx 1 commercial product...sadly developemnet seemed to be ababdonded when vista appeared (did not run at all on Vista) and has created excellent AVI files with good control over the outcome .. Worked for 6 months with Windows 7 but now is broken. :_( it is definitely not 1 click.. it works well on my 6 yr old AMD XP based machine still (which is the machine with the PVR card these files came from .. this machine has been capturing reliably for 8 years, 6 on this mobo and CPU .. mobo broke forcing an upgrade) .. but a bunch of files I added two days ago are only half way through .. 3 to 6 frames per second is all it can manage.

Last edited by dookus; 3rd June 2010 at 10:46.
dookus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 10:53   #10  |  Link
dookus
What's this then?

It was not a capture of a DVD, it was a capture from a satellite receiver through the analogue line in on a hardware PCI encoder, home built PVR basically.

these problems have been fixed by the use of ProjextX and then remuxing.

Dr Divx (Dr Divx OSS) is a very good open source continuation of Divx's original Dr Divx 1 commercial product...sadly developemnet seemed to be abandoned when vista appeared (did not run at all on Vista) and has created excellent AVI files with good control over the outcome .. Worked for 6 months with Windows 7 but now is broken. :_(

Any DVD's that were captured this way were done so because they were damaged, I have a DVD player that manages to play them and get through to the end .. but ripping them was not possible. they were not encrypted but DVD's made from video and converted to DVD.

Also the analogue capture card (only the line in is used) is used to capture content from a satellite receiver... so that's another reason why the content cannot be captured again.