Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 14th March 2002, 03:43   #1  |  Link
Snake-Eyes

Mpeg-1 locks up my computer

I recently upgraded my PC. I'm now running Win98 on a AMD 1.4, IWill KK266+ motherboard (on board sound), GeForce 256.

My problem is that MPEG-1 movies seem to randomly lock up my computer. I don't have this problem with DivX or DVDs. I tried watching the same movie on different PCs and my computer was the only one that locked up. And I mean locked up. My mouse still works, but thats it. No Blue Screen O' Death, but I have to do a hard restart.

Anyone have any ideas what's with this?

TIA
Snake-Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2002, 17:54   #2  |  Link
Captain_Nipple

Hey,
Your problem is video driver. I had a similar setup a while back and had same kinda problems. Have you tried installing DetenatorXP drivers? What version? This at least fixed my problem.

Captain.
Old 15th March 2002, 20:18   #3  |  Link
Snake-Eyes

I updated my drivers when I rebuilt my computer, but I know that Nvidia has released at least one Detonator update since then. I'll try updating my drivers, but I'm not too optimistic about it. Isn't MPEG-1 old, like really old. I would think that any video drivers made in the last few years would have worked out any kinks with MPEG-1.

What about VIA 4-1 drivers? I updated those when I rebuilt my computer too, but I think they have come out with a newer version since too. I'm kinda hesitent to update the VIA 4-1 drivers since I keep hearing such horor stories about this VIA chipset. And since I have your attention, what exactly are the VIA 4-1 drivers. I imagine that they contatin the audio drivers for the onboard audio, but I don't know what else they are used for.

TIA
Old 15th March 2002, 20:22   #4  |  Link
Snake-Eyes

One more thing. I dont think I should be using the DetonatorXP drivers. I'm not sure what the "XP" stands for, but I'm thinking its either for the Athalon XP CPUs or for WinXp, and I'm using neither. I'm running Win98 and a Athalon T-bird. Or do I just not know what the hell I'm talking about and I should still get the DetonatorXP drivers.

TIA