Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 3rd May 2017, 14:13   #43581  |  Link
Tobiwan

I'm using a MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X with 6GB.
Tobiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2017, 15:00   #43582  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pose View Post
Is there any point in ticking "this display is already calibrated" if you only use an ICC profile for your monitor?
yes that's what it is made for you can set it to the target of your ICC file.

and don't use an ICC file to calibrate the output of madVR just saying you can get better results in term of quality.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2017, 17:00   #43583  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pose View Post
Is there any point in ticking "this display is already calibrated" if you only use an ICC profile for your monitor?
I think it enables some extra processing to yield more accurate colors. However, your ICC profile will do nothing in any program not written to process it (LUT loaded into your GPU aside), and that includes madVR. If you own a physical calibrator, you should consider making 3DLUTs for madVR instead.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2017, 21:22   #43584  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiwan View Post
The MPC runs at maximum power mode. I have reset all the settings and the problems are gone, I don't know why
madVR's config can get messy with upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiwan View Post
I also find good stats for me: chroma NGU AA high + xbr 100 double = ~16-27ms / 23.976fps smooth motion on
Don't worry about stats, as long as you're under the frame presentation time you're fine. Ideally you want the config to deal with the different content to get the most out of your performance headroom.
Having one config go from 16-27ms is not ideal.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 02:05   #43585  |  Link
Snowknight26

I can't tell where the issue is but I only see it happen with madVR so I assume that's it. When playing a 2160p 10-bit HEVC video in fullscreen mode on my GTX 950, the colors become completely messed up, almost like the RGB channels are mixed up, and the video is extremely dark (but whites are ok). This only happens with native DXVA - copy-back is ok. With EVR, it's not an issue. Anyone noticed this?

Last edited by Snowknight26; 4th May 2017 at 02:13.
Snowknight26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 02:41   #43586  |  Link
MS-DOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
Anyone noticed this?
It was reported multiple times here by a few people including myself. Unless I missed it there was no response from madshi yet.
MS-DOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 03:17   #43587  |  Link
XMonarchY

I didn't mess up my OS. I made a backup image to restore my current build later, but just to humor myself I formatted, and freshly installed Anniversary Edition, all latest drivers, all HTPC software I always use and there was no issue at 23.970Hz. Then I did another format and clean install of Creator's Update, all latest drivers, all HTPC software I use and once again - dropped frames at 23.970Hz and no dropped frames at 24.000Hz.

Why do people assume that if something works for them and not for someone else, then its got to be the user error? There are countless variations of hardware and software used with madVR for playback.

Many people with problems don't even know that they have problems until you show it to them. I am not saying its any of you, but some people say they get 0 dropped frames because their playback is smooth... to their eyes, but they haven't even heard of CTRL+J stats menu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mueslibrown View Post
Creators update applied yesterday - all working fine for me ...

JRiver MC22 22.0.97
Nvidia GTX 980
Madvr 0.91.8
Geforce 381.65
Lav Nightly 0.69.0-44

JRiver is 64bit and has its own Re-Clock-like feature that is also 64bit and made just for JRiver. I am on 32bit MPC-HC and there is only 32bit Re-Clock version. Maybe with your setup I would also have no problems. Thank you for letting me know - I will check it out and report.
Old 4th May 2017, 03:31   #43588  |  Link
huhn

can you make a screen of the OSD ?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 07:15   #43589  |  Link
mogli

And maybe check your ReClock log, too.
mogli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 07:28   #43590  |  Link
Oguignant

About Hdr metadata

Hi,

I have the "send hdr metadata to the display" option enabled. I tried both, "use nvidia private api" and "use Windows 10 Api", but neither option activates HDR from the Tv. If I active from the Windows 10 screen settings in "HDR and advanced color" the hdr mode on the tv is activated. I have the latest windows 10 update and the latest nvidia gtx 1070 drivers. My tv is a LG OLED ef9500. what am I doing wrong?
Old 4th May 2017, 08:13   #43591  |  Link
SamuelMaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
I think it enables some extra processing to yield more accurate colors. However, your ICC profile will do nothing in any program not written to process it (LUT loaded into your GPU aside), and that includes madVR. If you own a physical calibrator, you should consider making 3DLUTs for madVR instead.
MadVR works just fine with ICC profile, if you have a nvidia card and use the overlay-setting (like you should if you have a nvidia). For example I do not own a calibrator, yet I have an old .icc file which still works (close enough anyways, display quite awful without it). However the target was an sRGB, not sure what I should pick in the "display is already calibrated" point, so I leave it on "disable calibration controls".
SamuelMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 08:27   #43592  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelMaki View Post
MadVR works just fine with ICC profile, if you have a nvidia card and use the overlay-setting (like you should if you have a nvidia). For example I do not own a calibrator, yet I have an old .icc file which still works (close enough anyways, display quite awful without it). However the target was an sRGB, not sure what I should pick in the "display is already calibrated" point, so I leave it on "disable calibration controls".
I have an icc profile (lut matrix v4) for Windows and a 3DLut of 17000 points for madvr. There is a big difference with a 3dlut and an icc. With ICC it only improves a little bit. The big difference you'll notice with a 3DLut. The color is amazing with a 3DLut. To obtain excellent quality of colors, it is not enough with a colorimeter. You need a spectrophotometer to create a profile for your TV/monitor. I have an xrite i1display pro and an i1pro 2 (Calman 5 which does a better job than DisplayCal).

ORIGINAL

ICC Lut Matrix v4

3DLut 17000p

Last edited by Oguignant; 4th May 2017 at 08:56.
Oguignant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 08:43   #43593  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelMaki View Post
Like Windows, madVR uses the linear LUT part of an ICC profile (loaded into GPU hardware) but not the gamut and/or profile information which color managed programs like Photoshop could use. madVR uses the 3DLUT for that. It also doesn't matter which rendering mode or GPU hardware you have, this part of the ICC profile always works. With overlay on Nvidia madVR emulates the GPU hardware, because that mode bypasses it, but the calibration get applied correctly either way.

"disable calibration controls" is actually the same as the defaults for "this display is already calibrated" (which is what you should use as well). madVR has to display the video in some format and sRGB is the normal assumed Windows default.

Last edited by Asmodian; 4th May 2017 at 08:47.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 09:13   #43594  |  Link
Tobiwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Having one config go from 16-27ms is not ideal.
The 27ms happens at intensive scenes, I don't know why, is it more intensive to render maybe? It drops down back to a lower time after that. I mean its all better then a 40ms+ render time...
Old 4th May 2017, 13:03   #43595  |  Link
Snowknight26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS-DOS View Post
It was reported multiple times here by a few people including myself. Unless I missed it there was no response from madshi yet.
Though I saw those posts about black screens, I didn't think they were related as those all appear to be issues exclusive to the AMD RX 4x0 and 5x0 series. Plus, my video isn't completely black like those posts appear to suggest, just badly discolored.
Snowknight26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 17:46   #43596  |  Link
mcn

Since version 0.91.0 I have a noticeable delay (more than 10 seconds) before playback starts.
With the more recent versions the audio starts with a delay of about 5 seconds, but the video still waits about 10 seconds.
Version 0.90.24, and the previous ones, don't have this issue.

This also happens after resetting madVR settings.

Some details on my configuration (apart from the OS everything else is 32-bit):

Nvidia GTX 680 with drivers 381.89

Windows 8.1 x64

MPC-HC 1.7.11
LAV Filters 0.69.0
madVR 0.91.8

This also happens with DVB Viewer Pro 5.5.0.0 instead of MPC-HC.

I checked the changelog for 0.91.0 but I can't see anything that might cause this.
Any suggestions?
mcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 18:28   #43597  |  Link
Tobiwan

What makes delayed frames? Any setting? Should I worried about a few delayed frames at the windowed overlay mode?
Old 4th May 2017, 18:32   #43598  |  Link
Asmodian

Debanding fade detection is the only thing to watch in my opinion. Maybe set both debanding options to the same level, low/low or med/med?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oguignant View Post
I have an icc profile (lut matrix v4) for Windows and a 3DLut of 17000 points for madvr. There is a big difference with a 3dlut and an icc. With ICC it only improves a little bit. The big difference you'll notice with a 3DLut.
I suggest not posting screen shots to show the improvements of a 3DLUT, your 3DLUT image looks really bad on my display. Our displays obviously need very different corrections.

I do agree that i1pro2 is much better than my i1 display pro was, there are so many backlight technologies out there that I don't think colorimeters are reliable anymore.

Last edited by Asmodian; 4th May 2017 at 18:38.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 18:39   #43599  |  Link
Frexxia

I'm encountering some very strange behavior if I disable exclusive mode:

If I seek in the video and keep the seek bar active I'm getting comparable render times to exclusive mode
http://i.imgur.com/64UvGhM.jpg

As soon as the seek bar becomes inactive and madvr changes from D3D9 windowed to D3D9 windowed fullscreen I'm getting very high render times
http://i.imgur.com/MpJU5u0.jpg

But it isn't only related to D3D9 windowed fullscreen, because if I activate the seek bar without actually seeking I'm still getting very high render times
http://i.imgur.com/3nc7OAN.jpg

Edit:
Immediately after posting this I discovered that enabling the option "use Direct3D 11 for presentation" seems to be a solution for my problem.

I've always been able to use NGU Sharp (High) for upscaling, but not after updating to MadVR v0.91.9. I can't guarantee that the update is what did it, though.

Last edited by Frexxia; 4th May 2017 at 18:47. Reason: Found a temporary solution
Frexxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 18:39   #43600  |  Link
Tobiwan

@Asmodian I have the debanding complete off because performance...

What is better?

chroma NGU AA / image Lanczos upscaling or chroma Lanczos / NGU AA doubling

Or is it the same at the end?

Last edited by Tobiwan; 4th May 2017 at 19:27.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling