Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 30th May 2004, 16:19   #1  |  Link
FoboldFKY

VirtualDub[Mod] crashing on encode (AviSynth 2.5, XviD 1.0)

Hi, I'm trying to backup some dvds, and I've hit a snag with encoding the video.

Basically, I have gotten as far as getting Gordian Knot to generate an .avs file. I can load this into both VirtualDub 1.5.4 and VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.1. I can play the video in both. I then set it up to do a Fast Recompress to XviD 1.0 (two pass). After I've gotten both encodes batched, I hit go and...

VirtualDub just dies; no error message, nothing. VirtualDubMod causes that "This program has screwed up, and we're awfully sorry, please forgive us" dialog in XP.

I've tried downloading new versions of the plugins that Gordian Knot is using, but to no avail. I'm at a complete loss since I can't even be sure WHAT the problem is (could be VDub, AviSynth or XviD for all I know).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

System:
  • Windows XP Professional
  • AthlonXP 2800+
  • 512 MB RAM
  • ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
  • VirtualDub 1.5.4
  • VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.1
  • XviD 1.0-09052004 (koepi's build)
  • AviSynth 2.5 (2.52?? Latest build of 2.5 I could get off sourceforge)

Below is the .avs script I'm using (I cleaned out all the commented-out stuff that Gordian Knot generated).

Code:
#
# Created with Gordian Knot
#
# http://gknot.doom9.org
#

#  PLUGINS
LoadPlugin("E:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\MPEG2Dec3dg.dll")
LoadPlugin("E:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\UnDot.dll")
LoadPlugin("E:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\Decomb511.dll")

#  SOURCE
mpeg2source("F:\Scratch\FMP_01\vts_02.d2v")

#  CROPPING
crop(2,4,716,568)

#  DEINTERLACING (1)
FieldDeinterlace(blend=false)

#  RESIZING
BicubicResize(560,400,0,0.5)

Undot()
FoboldFKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2004, 16:40   #2  |  Link
Angelus

Hi and welcome to the forum! One thing you could do is post your Gordian Knot log file and see if it states any type of error in there (it will be in the working directory of GK).
Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2004, 18:22   #3  |  Link
FoboldFKY

I checked, and there is no Gordian Knot log file. I'm assuming that one is created if you encode the movie through GK. In actual fact, I'm only using it for generating the .avs script (and cropping, etc. It's also handy that it has all the other bits'n'pieces I need). The reason I don't encode w/ GK is that I want to output OGMs with dual OGG audio streams, subtitles and chapters (I use OggMux for combining it all together).

I would use DVDtoOGM, but I couldn't seem to get it to do what I wanted, so I ended up doing it manually anyway.

Also, if it helps, this is a relatively (last couple of days) install of XP.
Old 30th May 2004, 18:22   #4  |  Link
killingspree
Newbie Forum Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Angelus
Hi and welcome to the forum! One thing you could do is post your Gordian Knot log file and see if it states any type of error in there (it will be in the working directory of GK).
@Angelus: As i understand FoboldFKY he doesn't use gknot for encoding! he just let's it create the *.avs script and then does the encoding manually in gknot!

@FoboldFKY: Did i understand this right? Anyway, does Vdub(mod) crash immediately, or after some encoding time?

To narrow down the problem:
-did you try encoding with divx 5.1.1?
-the latest version of avisynth should be 2.54 (iirc), pls check that with a version() script
- Do you have any other versions of Xvid (old ones of course) installed...
- Do you have any codec packs installed? (like Nimo)
- Did you overclock your CPU? encoding is a very cpu heavy task... too much overclocking can easily make your cpu unstable!

cheers
steVe
Old 30th May 2004, 18:32   #5  |  Link
FoboldFKY

@killingspree:

DivX 5.1.1: No, not yet. I'll download it and give it a shot.
AviSynth: Checked, and it was 2.53. Update that, too
XviD: No old versions, just 1.0
Codec Packs: Nope again. Fresh install. Just ffdshow, XviD 1.0, and the OGG stuff
Overclock: Nope.

I'll give DivX 5.1.1 and the new AviSynth (that's funny; I only downloaded it the other day!) a try. But tomorrow. It is 3:47 AM over here, and I am about ready to fall asleep where I sits. But thanks for the advice.
Old 31st May 2004, 08:12   #6  |  Link
killingspree
Newbie Forum Mod

ok let's see if divx encoding works...
Old 1st June 2004, 15:32   #7  |  Link
niamh
Dismembered

does it work with full processing mode enabled? you said you used fast recompress
niamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2004, 16:58   #8  |  Link
FoboldFKY

Ok, I think I've narrowed the problem. It appears to be VirtualDub and VirtualDubMod.

I have tested with XviD, DivX 5.1.1 (free version downloaded off their site about half an hour ago), both under Fast Recompress and Full Processing.

If I simply save as an AVI and do the processing immediately... works fine (or at least appears to; with Uni exams coming up, I'm not in the mood to `test' a full compress under all circumstances atm :P), but the INSTANT I try and run a list of batched jobs, VDub crashes out.

As you can imagine, this is really aggrevating.

I suppose now I'll just have to encode them one stage at a time. So much for setting them all up and running them in one go, eh?

Thanks to everyone for the advice thus far. Any other suggestions would be welcome
Old 1st June 2004, 20:24   #9  |  Link
killingspree
Newbie Forum Mod

just a guess, but do you have the warpsharp.dll in your plugins directory of avisynth?

or another question: does it only happen if frameserving from with avisynth or also if reecoding another avi??

kr
steVe
Old 2nd June 2004, 06:52   #10  |  Link
FoboldFKY

Just a quick response...

@killingspree: Yes, I have WarpSharp.dll in there... I believe I got it for the mfToon script, but haven't used it or mfToon since I wanted basic encoding to work :P

As for transcoding, haven't tried that. I'll give it a shot (and removing WarpSharp.dll, and all the other plugins I don't use) later. Must study CSCI212...
Old 2nd June 2004, 07:52   #11  |  Link
killingspree
Newbie Forum Mod

simply moving warpsharp to another directory should actually help! somehow warsharp causes complications when in the plugins directory!

hth
steVe
Old 3rd June 2004, 07:26   #12  |  Link
FoboldFKY

Yay! I removed WarpSharp from the plugins directory (moved the whole lot to plugin-backup just to be safe) and... it batch encodes once more! To think, all that trouble because I downloaded mfToon... <grumble>

Oh well. It just finished the encoding, and it looks great. One small problem, tho. For some reason, ffdshow has decided it doesn't like showing this at 25 fps, and wants to show it at around 19. Not pretty. I disabled ffdshow, and let XviD do the decoding, but now it has a habit of stalling every so often, which causes the video to stop until the next keyframe. <sigh> Everything else I have seems to playback fine... I think I'll try updating to the newest ffdshow (I have a relatively oldish version, and I used qpel in the encode, so maybe that's what it's got a problem with <shrugs), and try again.

Anyway, thanks for all your help. Now if only the playback worked properly, and I could OCR the subtitles properly ("l w as so g lad to ha ve met y ou" is NOT how to spell "I was so glad to have met you" Subrip!).
Old 3rd June 2004, 10:00   #13  |  Link
killingspree
Newbie Forum Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by FoboldFKY
Yay! I removed WarpSharp from the plugins directory (moved the whole lot to plugin-backup just to be safe) and... it batch encodes once more! To think, all that trouble because I downloaded mfToon... <grumble>
lol... well that's life great to see that we could work it out!
Quote:
Oh well. It just finished the encoding, and it looks great. One small problem, tho. For some reason, ffdshow has decided it doesn't like showing this at 25 fps, and wants to show it at around 19. Not pretty. I disabled ffdshow, and let XviD do the decoding, but now it has a habit of stalling every so often, which causes the video to stop until the next keyframe. <sigh>
there's some known problems with older versions of ffdshow and xvid 1.0 playback... just upgrade ffshow and everything should be fine!

Quote:
I could OCR the subtitles properly ("l w as so g lad to ha ve met y ou" is NOT how to spell "I was so glad to have met you" Subrip!).
well subrip can be pretty painfull sometimes! have you ever considered using vobsub? - you know saving the original bitmaps instead of OCRing the whole lot...

kr
steVe
Old 3rd June 2004, 10:09   #14  |  Link
FoboldFKY

Quote:
there's some known problems with older versions of ffdshow and xvid 1.0 playback... just upgrade ffshow and everything should be fine!
Already downloaded it... just have to reboot since something's holding onto ffdshow.ax...

Quote:
well subrip can be pretty painfull sometimes! have you ever considered using vobsub? - you know saving the original bitmaps instead of OCRing the whole lot...
As yes, the "sensible" thing to do... bah. Besides, most of what I encode is Anime. I nearly always watch them as subbed Japanese, but sometimes the English isn't too bad, so I rip the subtitles to .srt files so that I can selectively turn them on and off. Plus, they don't end up with `gunk' around the text.

Guess that means I'm stuck fixing them by hand :P It's a pity, tho. I wouldn't have this problem if SubRip had an option to ignore x number of blank pixels before it counts it as a full space. Pretty much every erroneous space it inserts is just one measly pixel. Tried downloading the source, but it's in Delphi. That's on my list of "Things to learn" right after Scandenavian...

Once again, thanks for all your help.
Old 3rd June 2004, 11:05   #15  |  Link
killingspree
Newbie Forum Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by FoboldFKY
Delphi. That's on my list of "Things to learn" right after Scandenavian...
lol... cheers
Old 5th November 2004, 09:45   #16  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

I too just had the warpsharp problem... I was freaking out last night trying to do an encode and batch mode in vdub seemingly b0rked beyond recognition!! I was updating everything left and right and eventually found this thread. It fixed my problem

Thank god for doom9 eh folks?

~misfit
Old 6th November 2004, 07:56   #17  |  Link
manono

Yep, that was one of your better calls, killingspree (out of many good calls). I know about the Warpsharp problem, but it never occurred to me that might be FoboldFKY's problem. He never even mentioned anything about having it. You must be psychic. Good going.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote