Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 1st December 2016, 21:09   #41081  |  Link
Neo-XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalston View Post
Pretty sure that bicubic150 is bugging out here - there is no way in hell it should look that bad. Dunno if it's your setup or the algo though. Maybe you can share a short sample?
Post updated with source. I didn't change any other settings while testing, just switched the algos and saved.

Last edited by Neo-XP; 1st December 2016 at 21:32.
Neo-XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2016, 21:31   #41082  |  Link
Dodgexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I'd start with the system BIOS first. Reset it and test then look for an updated BIOS for the motherboard and GPU.
Thanks, I did a bit more troubleshooting and found it seems to go away if I set my memory to its lowest timing. I am using 4x2gb sticks which I think must be straining my northbridge (Hypertransport?? since I have an AMD board) so I am going to continue running with a low frequency on the ram and see how it goes. I may need to raise the northbridge clock and/or frequency to get stable at the rams normal timings. Its so strange because I ran memtest86 for 48 hours and prime and it found no faults. Usually it catches faults between the CPU and Memory but this time it doesn't. At least I have a way to test it that works 70% of the time! thanks very much for your help.

Edit* spoke to soon. I tested going in to standby manually several times and thought it was fixed, however again when I left my computer with video paused in mpc hc and madvr it bsod and rebooted with ntoskrnl.exe VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR

All of my BSODs seem to be related to 3 things causing it
watchdog.sys
nviddmkm.sys
ntoskrnl.exe

all are VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR

i'm starting to wonder if it is driver related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backflash View Post
I had DP to miniDP and screen always bugged on me if I left player on pause and left pc to switch screen off. Screen didn't wake up 3 out of 10 times. I got DP-DP cable it went away(for now), so I think it's driver issue in my case. It is also happening only on w10.
Just do not leave player running when you need to step away from PC.
Also it's generally bad to let PC go to sleep, it somewhat works for laptops because battery life, but there is no need to do that with PC. So many things can go wrong with modern GPU drivers, probably that's what happening, you are not saving word document into RAM, it's a bit more complicated with rendering I think.
Set it do disable display and never go to sleep, most safe option.
Leaving it on all the time is something I debated but I am on and off my PC all day so it would save a considerable amount of power in the long term if the PC would just turn itself into standby. At the moment that is what I keep having to do, just keep forgetting not to leave it playing.

[s]I'm not sure in my case it is a driver related problem though because reducing my memory frequency seems to have fixed it (so far)[/s]

turns out despite testing it doesn't help if I leave my computer. Seemed to work ok going in and out of standby manually though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burfadel View Post
I started a new thread here for specific issues like this:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1788137

I do call it an issue because it does not affect the R9-280X with all other things equal. It seems to only affect newer cards from Nvidia and AMD. If it is driver related then tracking down the cause will allow it to be reported via driver reporting .
In my case I use a geforce 660 and it happens, i'm not sure its specific to recent nvidia cards anyway. I will post in your thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
I think this is probably something that madshi can fix.

EVR-CP has similar issues after sleep/hibernate, which can be solved by turning on this option:
options > playback > output > reinitialize when changing display

Relevant code:
https://github.com/mpc-hc/mpc-hc/blo...rPresenter.cpp (starts at line 1627)
Thanks, that would be awesome!

Last edited by Dodgexander; 1st December 2016 at 22:35.
Dodgexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2016, 21:37   #41083  |  Link
har3inger

Your source is very obviously not larger than 1440p. You shouldn't compare downscales with it, unless you're using nnedi3 or ngu.

Edit: Didn't catch this at first, but you're using the algorithms to *upscale* according to the OSD. Bicubic 150 shouldn't be used to upscale, ever. It probably shouldn't even be selectable in madvr. Of course bicubic 150 looks like garbage on upscale.

Last edited by har3inger; 1st December 2016 at 23:12.
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 00:42   #41084  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

^^

Agreed, terrible method used for the given situation... That comparison makes zero sense

QB
Old 2nd December 2016, 03:45   #41085  |  Link
glass

Hi, I'm still getting a bug on the latest few versions where screenshots taken in MPC-HC just result in a white garbled mess. The only workaround is to scale the video first.

I'm using a GTX 1060, but it's been constant among driver versions also.
glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 06:53   #41086  |  Link
jerryleungwh

May I ask whether it will produce a better quality image if I use

-NGU-high chroma for upscaling to produce a 1080p image then use an AV-receiver to upscale it to 4K, or

-use Catmull-Rom for chroma upscaling and NGU-low for luma doubling to upscale a 1080p image to 4K?

I do not have a 4K monitor at the moment but I plan to get one in the near future but my GPU isn't quite powerful enough to use anything higher than NGU-low for luma doubling to upscale a 1080p image to 4K, so which is a better option?
jerryleungwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 15:43   #41087  |  Link
BluesFanUK

I've got a 1440p monitor and i'm struggling to tell the difference between any of the settings now (and no I don't need glasses).

Is this only beneficial to Anime or something?
BluesFanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 18:23   #41088  |  Link
Warner306

For those interested, Kodi DSPlayer has been updated to the latest version of Kodi (v17) and is now compatible with the new settings dialogs.

This is a surprise release. I'm not sure if it will continue to have support in the future.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 18:25   #41089  |  Link
omarank

Feedback on NGU Low:

NGU low is great in itself. I actually like its lesser sharpness as compared to the higher versions of NGU. I tend to get distracted by the disproportion that NGU high and NGU very high create in the image in terms of definition of the edges and the texture. Even “soften edges” doesn’t help much there. NGU low is better in that regard. The performance is great too.
omarank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 18:57   #41090  |  Link
TheElix

I'm sorry for bothering everyone with my petty problem, but what could be the cause of madVR not detecting any display device at all? I've noticed that madVR stopped switching frequencies, then I've noticed that the display that I was using isn't marked as active (bold) in madVR. Then I deleted all devices from the list. Tries resetting to defaults, installing/uninstalling madVR, checked my computer for any unnecessary codecs to no avail. The list is now still empty under "Devices" in madVR.

Log: https: //yadi .sk/d/6J1PmbAN3235Ek (sorry for spaces, won't let me post this otherwise)
I know it's completely off-topic, but I can't connect BlueSkyFRC filter with the playback chain. What's the standard troubleshooting procedure in that case?
TheElix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 23:27   #41091  |  Link
AngelGraves13

It's a shame that NGU isn't scalable and just doubles, requiring huge resources to downscale back to native resolution. If that could be changed, it would actually be useable for all content and not just content that needs to be doubled.

1080p->1440p uses a ton of GPU resources, so much so that I've decided against using it as it causes my GPU to get rather hot and the fans are just too loud to enjoy the movie.

Guess I'll stick with ReconSoft for Chroma and Jinc for all my scaling needs until something better comes along.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 00:52   #41092  |  Link
aufkrawall

Reconstruction for chroma is quite expensive too and has little benefit over jinc, imho.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 01:06   #41093  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

I've just tried to reply to all the recent posts, but I'm getting server error 500 if I try to quote anybody. So the replies will have to wait until the forum is fixed again.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 01:15   #41094  |  Link
optimist

@Warner306 Wow this is really good news even if aracnoz doesn't continue to support it. Maybe he will release an update for major Kodi release.

On topic: NGU is working nicely with my Nvidia 1070. Thank you madshi for this awesome algo. I have a Panasonic plasma TV and NGU doesn't seem overly sharp with very high setting. I mostly watch HD movies and tv series, not much anime. Like others I have some low quality SD content and I have to use softcubic for them to hide the compression artifact, NGU is not suitable for them. Some thing to mask the compression artifact would be much appreciated.
optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 01:38   #41095  |  Link
seiyafan

I can tell the difference from upscaling 1080 on 1440 monitor if I am sitting 15 inches from the screen, that's about it for me.
seiyafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 01:40   #41096  |  Link
Alamei

This might be a silly question, but how are you all getting that rendering time step-by-step breakdown to show up in the stats? Is it a recent feature that was added?
Alamei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 01:47   #41097  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Create an empty file "ShowRenderSteps" in the madvr folder.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 01:53   #41098  |  Link
Alamei

Excellent. Thank you for the quick response. I can normally just get the answers by searching the forum, but it currently seems to be glitching out and throwing 500 errors on half of the pages I look at (in addition to being upset with quote attempts, as madshi mentioned).
Alamei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 04:29   #41099  |  Link
Sp00kyFox

is the deringing filter of madvr under "processing/artifact removal" a custom filter or is there an avisynth implementation of it? I'd like to use it in a script of mine.
Sp00kyFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 06:59   #41100  |  Link
Asmodian

It is a custom filter.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling