Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2nd July 2016, 14:08   #1  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Deshaker Comparison

I've been doing some comparison between Deshaker and Mercalli ProDad v4. I wanted to share my results.

First, Deshaker is a VirtualDub plugin and is hard to use. I'm trying to program it within my own software to automate the process but am encountering a few challenges.

Mercalli ProDad is a commercial software. It used to integrate within Adobe Premiere but v3 and v4 are stand-alone software.

So here are the results, for those interested.

Deshaker
Pros:
- Cleaner image
- Better efforts at reconstructing borders and not zooming unecessarily
Cons:
- Difficult to configure and use
- Slow
- Some wobble or jello effects

Mercalli ProDad
Pros:
- Much easier to use
- Much faster
- Wobble and jello effects are still there but weaker
Cons:
- Image is blurrier
- It zooms a lot more
- Requires a lossy re-encoding of the file -- not ideal in a video processing chain

I am aware that some of the settings can be tweaked in both software to improve the results. Here I have gone mostly with default settings with just minor customization.

I would have expected Mercalli ProDad to do a much better job because it analyzes the movements in 3D and is a lot more sophisticated.

Overall, Deshaker wins. It will be worth spending more time to program its easy integration within an AviSynth script.

However, whenever I use "fill borders with previous or future frames", it fails to render the video. First the video processes, then the output jams on a frame, and after being jammed on the same frame for a while, it aborts the encoding. Will have to investigate.

There was a bug in AviSynth+ where it crashed in the destructor and I fixed it. You need this updated VDubFilter.dll.

I'll have to keep testing whether the issues I'm seeing are related to AviSynth+ or I'm doing something wrong.

Last edited by MysteryX; 2nd July 2016 at 14:17.
MysteryX is offline   Reply With Quote