Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd December 2001, 07:08   #1  |  Link
n3wt

Swordfish audio sync

i just ripped and encoded swordfish with gknot...and the audio is out of sync, the ac3 filename says 83 ms but i put that in for the delay and it isnt right.. anyone know the right delay, or how to fix it?
n3wt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2001, 07:28   #2  |  Link
mustaneekeri

Are u sure it supposed to be 83ms not -83ms?
mustaneekeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2001, 12:52   #3  |  Link
Fridgearaider

I've been having the same problem with Swordfish and basically anything new by WB (warner bros).. it has something to do with the blue rated-R screen popping up just before the 'INTRO' credits that is throwing off the audio timing. Also having the same problem with Angel Eyes (JLo movie). I thought I could get around it during the DVD2AVI process by setting the start marker after the blue screen and demuxing/saving project from there. But still no luck, the movie comes a few seconds off synch, right off the bat and thru the whole movie. I've also followed all the audio synch guides without any luck. If someone out there has done these movies with luck, I'd like to know how you got around it for future divx rips. And yes the delay for swordfish is negative 83. If i set the DVD2AVI start marker after the blue screen and demux Swordfish, the delay varies from negative 96 to 102ms. FYI, I also tried it in Flask which does not have a problem with the audio syncing but the visual quality is garbage compared to gknot/nandub.

Last edited by Fridgearaider; 22nd December 2001 at 12:58.
Fridgearaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2001, 13:42   #4  |  Link
FSB-SPY

I've done Swordfish, a perfect rip with everything intact. On my DVD, no 'Rated R' screen showed up... are there two versions of the DVD?
FSB-SPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2001, 16:56   #5  |  Link
manono

Yea-no problems here either with Swordfish. So you didn't decrypt the .vobs using Smart Ripper in Movie Mode (instead of File Mode)? There shouldn't be anything before the movie itself. And maybe it is supposed to be -83ms. Negative numbers are much more common, but I forget what it was for that movie. Check your INFO file-it'll tell you (it's also in the AC3 Stream title).

As for fixing it, make sure Audio and Video are set to Direct Stream Copy, go Audio-Interleaving-Audio Skew Correction, and start fooling around until you get it right. If you did put 83ms instead of -83ms, just put -166ms and that should do it.

Last edited by manono; 22nd December 2001 at 17:04.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2001, 20:59   #6  |  Link
n3wt

I have the rated r screen in my copy... thats the problem.. how can I cut it out? I ripped in file mode and i dont have the dvd around anymore. I can get it from my friends house if thats the only way but I would rather just cut out the rated r screen.
n3wt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2001, 00:25   #7  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

how did you guys rip? vstrip?
Old 23rd December 2001, 02:40   #8  |  Link
Fridgearaider

-I ripped using smartripper 2.4
-dvd2avi 1.76 demux

Last edited by Fridgearaider; 23rd December 2001 at 02:49.
Fridgearaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2001, 03:39   #9  |  Link
manono

Hi-it looks as if both of you ripped in File Mode. So, now you know better. As for cutting out the blue screen, go to the Guides area of Doom9's site, and find the Virtual Dub Guide. There's a section on cutting .avis. It's real easy.

Unless there's a keyframe at the scene change (and there should be), you may still have problems with synching the audio, and you'll have to adjust the Audio Skew. But if it cuts in the right place, then put the sound back in with -83ms. The Virtual Dub Guide also has more complete instructions on fixing audio asynch.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote