Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Linux, Mac OS X, & Co

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 1st November 2007, 22:25   #1  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Location: Lowestoft, UK (but visit lots of places with bribes [beer])
Minimalist Linux server install - suggestions?

Firstly, my requirements. The ideal is that it's accessible through the web, so I don't have to carry my media with me to uni and can just access my read-only server remotely and listen to music or watch videos during boring lectures. OK, not quite the last part, but you get the picture. I guess it's sort-of like a file server, but remotely accessible. The acceptable is that it's a file server that I can plug my laptop into so that it can access the music and videos that are on the hard drive.

Secondly, I know Linux can do this, but should it be Linux at all? What about BSD?

Thirdly, exactly how would I go about doing this, i.e what software do I need? As an afterthough, an MP3 decoder would be good so it can be played back locally, but what's good in that regard? I know of mpg123, but have never used it?

Lastly, my intention is to keep the Windows XP install on the server just in case I really need access to something, and replace the Windows 98 SE install I have on there with this Linux server install. Having multi-booted Linux in the past, and knowing it can be done relatively easily, is it possible with the 98 install on C:?

Help with this would be much appreciated. I'm going in almost blind with the server stuff, but I have used Linux in the past and consider myself competent.