Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 24th November 2016, 10:15   #40681  |  Link
Sp00kyFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
same behavior. NNEDI is ignored and it only uses the normal image upscaler.
Sp00kyFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 10:19   #40682  |  Link
Backflash

Georgel lower queues to default 8, this might be why GPU is over spinning. It doesn't do anything performance wise anyway.

Coil whine is not dangerous, it's just annoying. Simply what happens is vibration of inductor it doesn't increase the temperature or lowers GPU life.
Backflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 10:20   #40683  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00kyFox View Post
same behavior. NNEDI is ignored and it only uses the normal image upscaler.
Switch from CUVID to DXVA2 CB In LAV.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 10:34   #40684  |  Link
pose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
Dig deeper, SVP team advises clearly to NOT install SVP with recent Nvidia drivers, they break the drivers, performance goes a lot down for the entire card.

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2671
There is literally nothing like what youre talking about in that old thread. You are clearly the only one having this problem. Probably because u f**ked up some settings again....
pose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 10:40   #40685  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pose View Post
There is literally nothing like what youre talking about in that old thread. You are clearly the only one having this problem. Probably because u f**ked up some settings again....
1st question: What do you mean by again?

2nd question: What's up with the aggressiveness?
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 10:42   #40686  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backflash View Post
Georgel lower queues to default 8, this might be why GPU is over spinning. It doesn't do anything performance wise anyway.

Coil whine is not dangerous, it's just annoying. Simply what happens is vibration of inductor it doesn't increase the temperature or lowers GPU life.
I will try to see what happens!

When I read that the coil whine is caused by the physical vibrations of a certain component, I feared that it might mean the component would degrade faster..
Old 24th November 2016, 10:43   #40687  |  Link
pose

Quote:
1st question: What do you mean by again?
From what ive seen you always use some weird settings that make no sense at all.

Quote:
2nd question: What's up with the aggressiveness?
What triggered you? Im not aggressive.
Old 24th November 2016, 10:51   #40688  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
From what ive seen you always use some weird settings that make no sense at all.

What triggered you? Im not aggressive.
I just posted a friendly advice that should be posted everywhere.

SVP will break Nvidia drivers and only fresh reinstall of drivers will fix it. This is what happened to me and could happen to anyone. It is a friendly advice, no need to attack me, if it works for you and you're 100% sure it does, good, but it might break some people's setup and it's hard to fix.
Old 24th November 2016, 11:05   #40689  |  Link
pose

Quote:
SVP will break Nvidia drivers and only fresh reinstall of drivers will fix it. .
Thats like... your opinion. You act like its a fact while there is nothing on the internet to support your claim. If someone disagrees with you it doesnt mean that they're attacking you, lul. Friendly advice: dont change setting you're not sure/know nothing about. Use DDU in safe mode to delete your old video driver if you want to reinstall or update it.
Old 24th November 2016, 11:31   #40690  |  Link
markanini

Quote:

When I read that the coil whine is caused by the physical vibrations of a certain component, I feared that it might mean the component would degrade faster..
How long do you plan to keep it?
markanini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 11:53   #40691  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Thats like... your opinion. You act like its a fact while there is nothing on the internet to support your claim. If someone disagrees with you it doesnt mean that they're attacking you, lul. Friendly advice: dont change setting you're not sure/know nothing about. Use DDU in safe mode to delete your old video driver if you want to reinstall or update it.
Thanks, but yes, I know how to use DDU, and I;m not exactly an un experienced user...

At the same time, I know for a fact that SVP broke my Nvidia drivers a few times, tried configuring it, still happens.

What happens is a video plays, but it crashes at random times. IT keeps on crashing even after uninstalling SVP.

This is a known problem over at SVP, whether you can find it or not is a matter of what you searched for. This happened to me on multiple configurations with multiple settings even on default settings(GTX 960M, GTX 1080), with or without any OC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markanini View Post
How long do you plan to keep it?
The card?

As long as possible, it does it's job just fine. 2-3 years would be great, maybe 4 if I won't need to push it more..

I'm not even close as enthused about Skylake 6700K tho..
Old 24th November 2016, 11:56   #40692  |  Link
Sp00kyFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Switch from CUVID to DXVA2 CB In LAV.
I wasn't using CUVID. DXVA2 CB is my standard setting.
Old 24th November 2016, 13:25   #40693  |  Link
hannes69

Quote:

Simply no. Nothing is degrading faster. Coil whine means there is a quality issue on the manufacturers side who decided to choose components which are cheap and more prone to such issues. Coil whine is not affecting performance, heat, stability, function and so on. It is simply going on your nerves when too loud. It can be dependant on the load (amount of load and sort of load) as seen here. NGU probably creates a sort of load that triggers this phenomenon easier than other algorithms. Sounds like esoteric but can be physically possible.
I have a R7 250 Radeon card, can use NGU low for my use case (720p files) and have NO coil whine (XFX card).
If I would have coil whine I would try to fix it as mentioned earlier in this thread.
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 14:07   #40694  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz

Quote:
Dig deeper, SVP team advises clearly to NOT install SVP with recent Nvidia drivers, they break the drivers, performance goes a lot down for the entire card.

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2671

It's something that I found on an easy search after I had a few black screens, but it gets worse, it can cause GPU to disconnect and eventually break down - this is known by SVP team and has been for a while, but they did NOT fix it yet.
I've not ever had that issue after upgrading to Win10.
For every update to NVidia, I've always chosen the Clean Install and rebooted to ensure things go smoothly.

I don't use Cuvid, not for a long time.
It's always been set to DXVA2 CB.

With current driver for NVidia on my GTX 750ti, I can use NGU-low on 1080p sources and SVP without frame drops.
The minute I try NGU-med, I get drops.
Maybe if I disable the Artifact Removal settings, I can use NGU-med.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @3.4GHz (6c/12th, I'm on AVX2 now!)
Sparktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 15:06   #40695  |  Link
Uoppi

Does "NGU = Jinc" etc. in the OSD mean madvr is reverting to Jinc instead of using NGU (for whatever reason)?
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 15:22   #40696  |  Link
pirlouy
_

This one thread for everything is boring to read, that's why there are some aggressive comments. It's difficult to find useful information/question between repetitive old questions from new/less advanced people or specific content from very advanced users.

I find this harder to read for everyone including Madshi, but he still prefers this so bad luck for guys like me.
I think I made a made a post with interesting (I think) stats which can allows users to verify if normal behavior or not. Already 10 pages away. Won't do this again.
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 15:37   #40697  |  Link
markanini

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannes69 View Post
Simply no. Nothing is degrading faster. Coil whine means there is a quality issue on the manufacturers side who decided to choose components which are cheap and more prone to such issues. Coil whine is not affecting performance, heat, stability, function and so on. It is simply going on your nerves when too loud. It can be dependant on the load (amount of load and sort of load) as seen here. NGU probably creates a sort of load that triggers this phenomenon easier than other algorithms. Sounds like esoteric but can be physically possible.
I have a R7 250 Radeon card, can use NGU low for my use case (720p files) and have NO coil whine (XFX card).
If I would have coil whine I would try to fix it as mentioned earlier in this thread.
Nice to hear from someone that understands electronics. I suspected these fears of coil whine were overblown. Especially now considering the fairly short practical lifespan of a graphics card.
markanini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 17:24   #40698  |  Link
Sp00kyFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
I think I made a made a post with interesting (I think) stats which can allows users to verify if normal behavior or not. Already 10 pages away. Won't do this again.
don't let this big thread discourage you. I'm pretty sure based on madshis posts that he reads everything. and many other users do also, it's just that somtimes there isn't anything to add or say to a post, even if it shares interesting information.
Old 24th November 2016, 18:40   #40699  |  Link
ROKUGAN

Quote:
Someone please sticky this!!!!!

DO NOT install SVP on Pascal GPUs based setups!!!!!!!

I made the ugly mistake of trying to use SVP on an 1080, madVR + mpcHC setup. That thing broke my drivers, I alost had to reinstall windows. After uninstalling it, madVR and MPC HC kept crashing, even reinstalling them, erasing all registry entries did not fix it.

Keep in mind, SVP breaks the Nvidia driver entirely!

On NGU, I don't use it until the coil whine will maybe get a fix. I'm scared of why no game and nothing else causes coil whine, but madVR w/ NGU does, so I'll just use it after this gets solved...
I have exactly that setup GTX 1080 + madVR + mpcHC/mpcBE + SVP4 and is working flawlessly
Both on 32&64 bits setups btw.
ROKUGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 20:37   #40700  |  Link
Q-the-STORM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uoppi View Post
Does "NGU = Jinc" etc. in the OSD mean madvr is reverting to Jinc instead of using NGU (for whatever reason)?
Do you mean "NGU > Jinc" ?
because that simply means you upscale to more than double resolution...
like a 720p video on a 2160p screen, you first double to 1440p with NGU and then upscale to 2160p with Jinc...

Last edited by Q-the-STORM; 25th November 2016 at 10:50.
Q-the-STORM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling