Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > Advanced authoring

Old 16th July 2002, 06:11   #1  |  Link
Tatjahna
The only one ~_^

Masters of branching in Maestro, need advice please!

Hi guys!

I have transcoded a dvd from PAL to NTSC. That's not the problem in there.

Its a dvd of Capitaine Flam (you remember?). So I would like to access the episodes in this way :

PLAY:
Opening
Episode 1
Ending
Opening
Episode 2
Ending
Opening
Episode 3
Ending

Here I have the Opening and the Ending that will be repeated between each Episodes. I am not familiar with the command sequence but I tried anyway to build that structure in it.

The fact is that my movie is structured in this way :

Publicities -- 8 episodes -- Opening -- Another Pub -- Ending

All theses are accessed by chapters. So I have build my command sequence in that way.

My problem : When I "skip forward" at the "Opening", it doesn't go to the 2nd listed item in com. seq., but instead jump at the "next" chapter point!

How the hell I can do this? This structure will be repeated in every dvd of that kind I will have to do so if you could help, it would be really great!

Thanx in advance!
Old 16th July 2002, 10:01   #2  |  Link
mikeathome

Hi,

First ensure you set the Sources to 'Show Standard Sources' in the Connections Table; right click the column heading 'All Sources' and check. Don't use the Next / Previous connections.

I would try creating a Playlist, this would be appropriate for your case.

mike
mikeathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2002, 01:46   #3  |  Link
Tatjahna
The only one ~_^

Thanks mike!

I have finally done what you suggest me and it works great. But what if I want to build a "playlist" between 2 or 3 movies? I guess I cannot huh?

Also, I have now another question.

My current project is presently 4.568 GB in Maestro. After the compile, it's in fact 4.22 GB.

Could anyone tell me if he or she had problems accessing episodes (chapters) near the end of the dvd while playing it back in a standalone player? I have often projects of 3h - 3h30 and they have problems near the end ( 20-50 min from the end )

I guess it's a problem with a certain maximum read capacity of the burned dvd by the player with home build projects. What do you think ?
Old 18th July 2002, 01:54   #4  |  Link
Arky

Hey, Tatjahna,

Are you using cheap "unbranded" DVD-Rs? I have seen many, many posts about cheap DVD-Rs failing towards the outer areas of the disk. I suggest you invest in a decent DVD-R and recompile one of your previously problematic projects, and burn it to the new high-quality DVD-R. If you STILL have the playback problem, then repost, but I suspect you may have success this time.

Regarding your other question:

[But what if I want to build a "playlist" between 2 or 3 movies?]

I am not entirely sure what you wish to achieve - can you be more detailed/specific please?

Arky ;o)
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2002, 04:07   #5  |  Link
Arky

lol, just noticed your post on the exact topic (cheap media problems):

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=29369

sorry about that

Arky ;o)
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2002, 05:39   #6  |  Link
Tatjahna
The only one ~_^

No problems Arky, It's me that I am sorry to have talk about my problem in 2 topic...

I have finally found verbatims at Trilight's suggested store (HyperMicro) and bought 25.

I am a little disapointed, as I have in my possession 75 Generic DVDs that won't work in my settop DVD Yayyhh! I will be able to make data backups!!

Well, I should have listened to you all, but the truth is hard to hear! I hope the medias will drop down soon!!!

@Arky : About my question about playlists.. Well let's see...

Structure :
MOVIE 1 -> Episodes 1 to 8, separated by chapter points
MOVIE 2 -> Opening
MOVIE 3 -> Ending

I would like to access the episodes this way ( with previous-next ) after having pressing the Play button :

Opening
Episode 1
Ending
Opening
Episode 2
Ending
... ( I know it don't seems funny to see so often the Opening and the Ending, but lots of people want to see them, so I will permit with Command Sequence what to use, with or without op./end. )

So using a playlist, I would only be able to access the movie chapters in the current movie of the playlist you know?

Is there a tricky way make it jump to a movie from another in a playlist? If it's not possible the only solution will be to put the opening and the ending at the end of the same movie as the episodes!

Thanx in advance!!

Last edited by Tatjahna; 18th July 2002 at 05:55.
Tatjahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2002, 08:20   #7  |  Link
TRILIGHT

What you are wanting to do will require the use of Command Sequences. DVD players have memory registers referred to as GPRM's (General Parameters). They can be set to certain values to control functions while the disc is in the player.

Setting these and controlling the player's function is very much like programming. If you have any programming experience this will make more sense to you. Although there is probably more than one "right way" to do this, I will offer a suggestion.

Start by creating a command sequence (let's call this first one "Main Start"). I will tell you what should be set and then list what the command list should look like. First, set the GPRM mode to "register" for GP0. Next, assign a value of 1 to GP0. Operation type "move" setting "immediate". Next, jump to Movie2 (as you listed this was the "opening"). The command list should look like this:
Code:
1  SetGPRMMD GP0 to Register
2  MOV GP0, 1
3  Jump To Movie2(#1)
Now you want to set this command sequence as the first thing that will play when you choose to start playback. Don't jump to the movies. All of this is done via the command sequences.

The next one is trickier. Let's call this one "Opening". You must set the END action of Movie2 to jump to this "Opening" command sequence. The "Opening" command sequence will check the GP0 register to know where to go when it ends. In order for this to work for each episode, we need to set a jump command for each one. Set them as jump target "movie" and click the "compare" box. Set the compare as "immediate" and "Equal". These will differ but you must include them all. (Assume "x" is the chapter you want to jump to):
Code:
1 Jump To Movie1(x) if (GP0 = 1)
2 Jump To Movie1(x) if (GP0 = 2)
3 Jump To Movie1(x) if (GP0 = 3)
4 Jump To Movie1(x) if (GP0 = 4)
5 Jump To Movie1(x) if (GP0 = 5)
6 Jump To Movie1(x) if (GP0 = 6)
7 Jump To Movie1(x) if (GP0 = 7)
8 Jump To Movie1(x) if (GP0 = 8)
Do you see where we're going with this? Set each END action for each and every episode to play the ending. Since they are set by chapter number, you need to set it as the end action for whatever the given chapter is that is the last for each episode you're working with.

Now, you need to have a command sequence as the end action for your "ending" movie clip. We're going to call this one "Ending". It's a bit more complex but keep thinking logically. This sequence has to be able to say that it is finished with whatever episode it just played, and able to know where to go afterwards. It looks as follows:
Code:
1  MOV GP0,2 if (GP0 = 1)
2  MOV GP0,3 if (GP0 = 2)
3  MOV GP0,4 if (GP0 = 3)
4  MOV GP0,5 if (GP0 = 4)
5  MOV GP0,6 if (GP0 = 5)
6  MOV GP0,7 if (GP0 = 6)
7  MOV GP0,8 if (GP0 = 7)
8  MOV GP0,1 if (GP0 = 8)
9  Jump To Menu1(#1) if (GP0 = 1)
10 Jump To Movie2(#1)
See what we did there? You have to leave it a way out. If you just got finished playing the 8th and final episode, it will set the register to 1 again and jump back to the main menu. Otherwise, it sets it to the next number, and then jumps to the "Opening" again to start the next episode.

Please bear in mind that this is just a simple example. All this does is allow you to play the intro, an episode, and the ending for each and then continue with the next episode. There are literally ENDLESS combinations of things you could do with the General Parameter registers. You could have it play, or not play, the beginning and ending depending on what you select in a main menu, or all sorts of things. Hopefully you will gain enough understanding of this functionality through this simple example to create more complex sequences.
Old 18th July 2002, 11:35   #8  |  Link
Tatjahna
The only one ~_^

Wow what a detailled little guide you gave me!

I have tested that, and the logic you used is perfect! Erm.. well almost.

As you said, I program so I can figure too what you have done. But there is something you missed:

Code:
1	MOV GP1 , GP0	<-- You have to store the content of GP0
        in a temp variable (GP1).
2	MOV GP0 , 2 if (GP1 = 1) <- Then do the compare with GP1
that will never be change by line #3,4 and 5 as your above code
would do. :)
3	MOV GP0 , 3 if (GP1 = 2)		
4	MOV GP0 , 4 if (GP1 = 3)		
5	MOV GP0 , 1 if (GP1 = 4)		
6	Jump To Menu1[#1] if (GP0 = 1)		
7	Jump To Op[#1]
Above, the conditionnal MOVs are done sequentially. So if you follow the value of GP0 (if you don't put the line 1), GP0 will always be 1.
( Wow, what a team ! )

I have tried it, and it works like it is supposed to. But the navigation (Previous-Next) isn't respected following the sequence I gave it (with the command sequences).. For example, while playing episode 1, following my will, it should skip directly to the Ending when pushing the "next" button. For the previous button, I know I would do another command sequence to get back the GP0 value and return back to where I came.

The command sequences works correctly only at the "end action". I have tried to add the call to the ending command sequence to "Next" in Movie too, but it is simply ignored

Any clues ?

Last edited by Tatjahna; 18th July 2002 at 11:39.
Tatjahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2002, 11:47   #9  |  Link
TRILIGHT

Unfortunately, I'll have to look at it again after I get some sleep. Suffering from a bit of insomnia. 5:47am and still no shut-eye. hehe I'll help you tomorrow when I'm better focused.
Old 18th July 2002, 22:18   #10  |  Link
Tatjahna
The only one ~_^

LOL!

I have tried to figure too by myself what should I do, but I was too tired too to even figure what was a MOV!!!

I have took a look today at all that, and the only thing I have to do is to separate all the episodes in different "movie" without any chapters in them to make your procedure to work. This will then work great. But what a work to transcode all thoses PAL dvds to NTSC keeping the menus and all stuff..

Thanx Trilight!