Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 20th April 2004, 21:30   #1  |  Link
danjx

Which title for main movie? Two are shown.

I just wanted to back up the main movie title, DVD: "How To Deal". However there are two titles listed as the movie, 3 and 4. Using the preview feature, I played each and they seem the same and both have the same audio. Both are complete from titles to credits. Both are the same length. So, I chose title 3.

Should I have checked further? What else should I have checked? When would further checking be most useful?

Later:
Well, I guess this is what they call a multiple angle movie. I read up on it (in other theads) and it seems I should not have a problem because I elected to make a movie only backup. Therefore, no menus were involved. To keep menus, you have to compress all the titles, even though they are mostly dupes.

-Dan

Last edited by danjx; 20th April 2004 at 21:55.
danjx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2004, 21:49   #2  |  Link
vaylon

Not sure about the movie but most of the time you see two movies on the same disc, one is widescreen the other is full frame. OR one is the theatrical version the other is a directors cut.
But if both movies were the same size, then probably they are the same. Just added to the disc to make it bigger and confuse some backup programs.
As long as it works and sounds good, you did good.
vaylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2004, 21:57   #3  |  Link
danjx

Yes, I thought about widescreen vs. full screen, but both previews seemed to be widescreen.
Old 21st April 2004, 03:11   #4  |  Link
wmansir

It's possible that it has multi-angles like some disney titles. check out the beginning/end credits and see if one of the versions has them in a different language (usually french). "Get Over It" was like that.
wmansir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2004, 03:16   #5  |  Link
writersblock29

@danjx

In some cases (Shrek's a good one) -- especially in instances where all titles are the same length -- each title is meant for a different language. Check your credits (both in front of and at the end of your movie) and see if they're in different languages. Of course, widescreen and full screen titles will also have the same running time.

If each title has different running times, then you're probably dealing with a Theatrical-Vs-Director's-Cut deal.

Since many backup programs such as DVD Shrink or DVD2ONE give you information on your disk via titlesets, all they know for certain is that you've got those options... but not necessarily what each option IS.

When in doubt, there's always our good buddy the ReWritable!
writersblock29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2004, 14:51   #6  |  Link
Digital_child

I’ve had this problem before. Just preview both titles and be sure to listen to the sound. If your using shrink 3.1.6 it will let you preview the sound. This is real important because like stated before, a lot of times one of them could be the directors commentary. I’ve had this happen before on several occasions. Don’t assume that the bigger file is the actual movie either. It’s a good idea to preview about 2 minutes of the movie at the beginning, somewhere in the middle, and at the end to see the end credits roll.
Digital_child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2004, 19:41   #7  |  Link
danjx

Good advice from all. Thanks very much for your suggestions.