Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > Forum / Site Suggestions & Help

Old 16th June 2002, 06:24   #1  |  Link
phrentec
waprout?

Doom9, can you please make a frameserving guide using xmpeg w/ dvd.mism?

Me and Im sure a lot more others on the forum would like to request for Doom9.org to please kindly make a frameserving guide using xmpeg. Thank You.
phrentec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2002, 06:48   #2  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

are people still using xmpeg? People doing DVD-R should be experienced enough to go the hard way, for the svcd and vcd folks there's dvd2svcd and for the divx people there's gknot.. all based on dvd2avi which is lightyears ahead of flask when it comes to quality and stability.

also.. everything that rips and encodes directly off the disc will NEVER make it into another guide. I have ruined one DVD-ROM myself and I will never explain any procedure that puts the life of your computer hardware in jeopardy anymore.
Old 18th June 2002, 06:33   #3  |  Link
phrentec
waprout?

aww that sucks. eh well I guess it's really up to you whether or not you want to make a guide. but ok so one not using xmpeg but how about using DVDx. yeah...could please make a guide for frameserving video AND audio through DVDx so that the DVD from the harddrive can be openned with cce, cleaner, nandub etc. I'm sure a whole lot others would love to see dvd (ac3) audio being frameserved into another editing program.
Thanks.

-Phren
Old 18th June 2002, 08:12   #4  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

hmm.. I thought I had written such guides already: http://www.doom9.org/mpg/dvdx-svcd.htm.

and for divx dvdx is most certainly not the program of choice.
Old 19th June 2002, 00:26   #5  |  Link
phrentec
waprout?

sorry about that, i guess that svcd guide didnt catch my eye. i tried it and i cant still get the audio to be frameserved. i'll have to post this problem of my in another section of the forums.

on the side note.
on 06-16-02, vidomi has been updated to version 0.469.
it's worth a few minutes of time to check out.
Old 19th June 2002, 07:46   #6  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

hmm... are you sure you configured the videoserver plugin properly? not all programs accept all types of frameserved audio.. the readme file for the videoserver should give you a compatibility list.
Old 7th April 2003, 17:08   #7  |  Link
mrbass

Quote:
Originally posted by Doom9

also.. everything that rips and encodes directly off the disc will NEVER make it into another guide. I have ruined one DVD-ROM myself and I will never explain any procedure that puts the life of your computer hardware in jeopardy anymore.
doom9 could you please, if possible, explain the theory behind it ruining the dvd-rom drive? DVDShrink does this but I can't really explain it well as to why.
Old 7th April 2003, 17:51   #8  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

well, every mechanical component has a limited lifetime, correct? I usually sell my computers long before they become low-end parts so normally device failures do not touch me (many PC parts are used in a corporate environment where a PC is used 4-5 years). Of course, you have to add a reasonable safety margin. Then you have to ensure that your drive can cope with the average user profile, also with a certain safety margin. So what's the average user profile? Installing a software every now and then, watching a DVD movie, but no heavy use). In fact, a reason for the 2x speed lock is that your drive does not spin up and down all the time while watching a DVD. It wouldn't be good for the noise level, but it would also put additional strain on the drive by constantly spinning up and down. Now, most drives can still cope with that, after all you're not watching DVDs all the time your computer is on (or let's put it like that: you're not watching DVDs 8h a day on 340 days a year). But, if you're constantly using your drive in a spin up, spin down scenario (mp3s have such a low bitrate that the drive will read a bit, then spin down, later spin up again), combine that with rather cheap CD-Rs that I was using at that time (those put additional strain on your drive, you can hear when your drive is frantically trying to read a sector) and make that several hours a day for a period of roughly 1.5 years, that has to take its toll and I bet I used it way beyond the estimated active lifetime.
Now, if you rip a DVD a week and use a tool that uses buffering (like DVDx, I haven't seen dvdshrink yet) it may not be too much of a problem if you don't overuse your drive in another way, but if you rip several DVDs a day and do that for a long period then your drive is more likely to fail than if you just ripped the DVD at full speed to an image and work off the image.
Old 8th April 2003, 01:31   #9  |  Link
mrbass

ok thanks for the explanation....please do check out dvdshrink when time permits (I know your stretched thin for time). And the thread about some of this stuff is at
http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=19027
Old 8th April 2003, 13:33   #10  |  Link
dragongodz

ok i will try to clear up this commen misconception which people love to carry on with. ok Doom9 has explained but i will try to make it simpler.

if you are encoding at realtime or greater (in other words the movies framerate) then decoding from the dvd drive (actually using a memory buffer to be exact) you do NOT do any more damage than you would by simply playing the dvd with powerdvd etc.

if encoding a film is going to take 8 hours or something then yes that will definatly harm the dvd drive. it will constantly be spinning up and down (causing ware) and generating a lot of heat which could theoretically damage (warp) a dvd and/or the drive. DVDx does have HD buffering and can work with pre-ripped films aswell for this very reason.

these facts are totally ignored though whenever people ask about this sort of thing. instead you get anacdotal responses like "i know someone whos dvd drive died". was he encoding realtime+, was he putting abnormal strain on the drive (constantly doing rips/encodes for 10 hours non stop), did it have any strange behaviour before he got in to encoding (possibly showing the drive had a problem already) ?

as Doom9 said, every mechanical part has a limited lifetime so everytime you watch a movie, rip to the harddrive, encode from dvd, whatever, its all causing ware. so if you are going to be doing lots of encoding (either from the dvd or ripping first) then you should not be surprised that your drive doesnt last forever.
dragongodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2003, 20:46   #11  |  Link
mrbass

cool thanks dragongodz
when doom9 said "tool that uses buffering (like DVDx,"
then I rememebered how it would read say 20MB buffer, spin dvd-rom down, then do it's encoding for awhile then, then spin up dvd-rom again and do it through the whole movie.

DVDShrink doesn't buffer it per se...it's constantly read the stream so it's not quite the same thing. Only thing is some have reported DVDShrink transcoding is using 70% CPU but when I use DVDShrink to transcode off the hd and it always around around 100% CPU usage so obviously it can't feed it just quite fast enough (which is good) and that means it's never stopping the dvd-rom (spinning it down).