Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 25th July 2016, 21:39   #38881  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMD View Post
OSD control
Using Notebook Lenovo IdeaPad Z510
Type Mobile QuadCore processor Intel Core i7-4702MQ, 800 MHz (8 x 100)
video card NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M
System Memory 8108 MB (DDR3-1600 DDR3 SDRAM)

thank you
Thanks, your present seems too slow. First I would turn the buffers down, try 6 for GPU gueue size, then 4 if you still have problems.

Try 4 for "how many video frames shale be presented in advance" as well.

You can also try turning on "use Direct3D 11 for presentation" or "enable windowed overlay" instead (but not both, DX11 overrides overlay).

After that, it might be an issue with DXVA, which I don't have any experiance with, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
Warner Im a bit confused, if you turn off 2x supersampling you cant run Image Doubling as Always, the only other setting is Always if upscaling is needed.

I thought running Image Doubling as ALWAYS was the best thing that one could do if you had the power to do so? Even ripped BDs I thought would be better with Image Doubling Always....?
I usually like sharpening done after SS unless applying too much sharpening anyway.

That said it is not always better to run Image Doubling, if I was watching a bluray on a 1080p screen (or UHD on a 4K screen) I would not use image doubling, unless I wanted to apply sharpening for some reason.

Last edited by Asmodian; 25th July 2016 at 21:43.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2016, 22:27   #38882  |  Link
egandt

madTestPatternSource, I installed the filter, then tried opening a ytp file (well I tried 4), both Zoom Player and PotPlayer stated they could not play the video, potplayer at least understood it was a video file but said there was no video, which makes some sense as all the ytp files are 0 bytes in size.

I verified twice that these files are actually 0 bytes in the zip.

Thanks,
ERIC
egandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2016, 22:30   #38883  |  Link
Uoppi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMD View Post
Good morning
I noticed that with 4K files from smartphones, playback is choppy, to get a reproduction without problems I have to turn off the madVR.
Maybe I have to act on some parameters, but do not know which one.
This is the medianfo of the file
Part of the problem is the inherent jerkiness of variable frame rate. It results in both occasional drops and repeats. My Galaxy Note 4 4K videos are watchable but the videos from my wife's LG G3 are a lot choppier. I also need to specify the target framerate manually in Reclock for some videos to avoid audio drop outs.

Also, I don't use smooth motion, which you seem to have enabled. Does the jerkiness persist when watching at the native 30 fps?
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2016, 23:28   #38884  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Warner Im a bit confused, if you turn off 2x supersampling you cant run Image Doubling as Always, the only other setting is Always if upscaling is needed.

I thought running Image Doubling as ALWAYS was the best thing that one could do if you had the power to do so? Even ripped BDs I thought would be better with Image Doubling Always....?
Image doubling is the best option when something needs to be upscaled 2x. At 1080p -> 1080p, it is completely up to preference as you are upscaling something that does not need upscaling.

You can also get more effective image sharpening by applying image enhancements to a native source than upscaling, applying upscaling refinements and downscaling the result. It is possible to make an image appear worse by over-processing it.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2016, 23:52   #38885  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Image doubling is the best option when something needs to be upscaled 2x. At 1080p -> 1080p, it is completely up to preference as you are upscaling something that does not need upscaling.

You can also get more effective image sharpening by applying image enhancements to a native source than upscaling, applying upscaling refinements and downscaling the result. It is possible to make an image appear worse by over-processing it.
Ok it sounds like then for BD rips its better to keep it all clean and just use 1080 > 1080 and no image doubling at all. Ive turned it off!

Now I know that you always get a few frame drops at the start of a film until things settle down. I always get one or two presentation glitches at the same time on start up. But should we be trying to never get another presentation glitch after those first initial ones on startup?

What actually are presentation glitches, where do they come from and what does one do to prevent them? I find I can get the odd one popping up even though all the upload, present and render cues show 7-8/8
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2016, 00:15   #38886  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Ok it sounds like then for BD rips its better to keep it all clean and just use 1080 > 1080 and no image doubling at all. Ive turned it off!

Now I know that you always get a few frame drops at the start of a film until things settle down. I always get one or two presentation glitches at the same time on start up. But should we be trying to never get another presentation glitch after those first initial ones on startup?

What actually are presentation glitches, where do they come from and what does one do to prevent them? I find I can get the odd one popping up even though all the upload, present and render cues show 7-8/8
The ones that show up when a video is started are worse on Kodi DSPlayer than MPC-HC. With MPC-HC, I can get zero dropped frames when starting a video. I know you are using JRiver, so maybe there is a connection?
Old 26th July 2016, 00:39   #38887  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Quote:
The ones that show up when a video is started are worse on Kodi DSPlayer than MPC-HC. With MPC-HC, I can get zero dropped frames when starting a video. I know you are using JRiver, so maybe there is a connection?
Ok Im testing now and this BD rip has been running for 40mins, I have four dropped frames that happened at the start and that remains the same... I had two presentation glitches at the start and got one more only a few minutes later but no more.... Are these results ok?

I don't mind if I get the few dropped frames/glitches at the start as Ive read that happens with most people. It might be a JRiver thing I have no idea, but as long as it settles it should be ok, do you think I'm right?

BTW with all the Doubling now turned off I've been able to set Chrome Upscaling to NNED13, 128 neurons and SR +2, is this better than using super-xbr like I was?

All the rendering upload, render and present queues remain on 7-8/8
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2016, 01:16   #38888  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uoppi View Post
Also, I don't use smooth motion, which you seem to have enabled. Does the jerkiness persist when watching at the native 30 fps?
Smooth motion does not change the frame rate. It is not frame interpolation and will never be responsible for jerkiness unless the GPU is not powerful enough to run it.
Old 26th July 2016, 07:58   #38889  |  Link
DMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Thanks, your present seems too slow. First I would turn the buffers down, try 6 for GPU gueue size, then 4 if you still have problems.

Try 4 for "how many video frames shale be presented in advance" as well.

You can also try turning on "use Direct3D 11 for presentation" or "enable windowed overlay" instead (but not both, DX11 overrides overlay).

After that, it might be an issue with DXVA, which I don't have any experiance with, sorry. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uoppi View Post
Part of the problem is the inherent jerkiness of variable frame rate. It results in both occasional drops and repeats. My Galaxy Note 4 4K videos are watchable but the videos from my wife's LG G3 are a lot choppier. I also need to specify the target framerate manually in Reclock for some videos to avoid audio drop outs.

I think it's a problem with my hardware.
I was reading the requirements for HTPC with madVR for 4K.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-hom...tpc-madvr.html

Regards

Last edited by DMD; 26th July 2016 at 08:05.
DMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2016, 11:33   #38890  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhoech View Post
Is it possible to disable HDR processing without disabling 3D LUT processing? If so, how? I'd like to use my own BT.2020 HDR tone mapping 3D LUT for HDR content.
I'm afriad it's not in the current versions from v0.90.22:
Code:
* HDR: disabled HDR processing now disables 3dlut, color and gamma tweaks
You can try v0.90.20: if it's working there you can ask madshi to revert/modify that change.
Old 26th July 2016, 13:32   #38891  |  Link
ionutm80

Hi guys, need your help for an issue that I've recently encountered.
So far I was playing all my movies (23,976 blu-ray rips and 25fps dvd-rips) on my 60Hz TV using SVP which was interpolating frames to match the resolution of the TV.
However recently I've discovered that my TV can also provide other refresh rates when is not in PC mode (not very usefull since I;m not gaming on it). Consequently I have input in madVR display mode the refresh rates reported by the GPU driver in Windows (Intel HD 4400).
Everything seems ok for the 23,976 blu-ray rips since the GPU and TV can display almost perfectly. However I have a problem, or at least I think so but I might be wrong, regarding 25 fps PAL DVD rips. The 25Hz rezolution is not supported by TV and so these movies are displayed at 50 Hz. madVR stats are reporting 1 frame drop every 8-9 hrs or even 1.2 days (i have very light up-scaling options) but shows a huge number of repeated frames and the counter does not stop. Is it because the 25 fps movie in order to be displayed on 50 Hz screen the number of frames need to be doubled? Is this something normal or am I doing something wrong here?

Please excuse the noobish character of the question and any flavor of stupidity that it might imply.
ionutm80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2016, 14:08   #38892  |  Link
Sunset1982

I'm trying to find the best quality settings for my new gtx1060, which is connected to a LG E6 (UHD OLED).

I got some question. (I tried to find a answer in this thread for myself, but there are too much sites and also some outdated posts, so I hope you guys can give me some short answers to my questions...

Most files of my collection are high quality 1080p bluray rips.

My settings right now:

Chroma upscale: SuperXBR 100, AR
Image Downscale: SSIM 1D 100 AR, relaxed
Image Doubling: double luma, if sclaing factor is 2.0 or bigger
Image Upscale: Jinc AR
Upscaling Refinement: Luma Sharpen 0.65, SuperRes 3

1. Is luma sharpen a good quality sharpener or is there a better alternative in terms of quality? Should I use it under image enhancements or up-scaling refinement? Should I use it with anti-bloating and anti-ringing filter option?

2. I'm using SuperRes 3 under up-scaling refinement. Should I use SuperRes under chroma up-scaling too?

3. Do you guys use the AR, scale in linear light and anti bloating filter options with SSIM?

4. Should I activate the reduce ringing artifacts option in artifact removal? what are the downsides of this option?
Old 26th July 2016, 16:48   #38893  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhoech View Post
Is it possible to disable HDR processing without disabling 3D LUT processing? If so, how? I'd like to use my own BT.2020 HDR tone mapping 3D LUT for HDR content.
how does your 3d lut know the brightness of the file?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2016, 17:19   #38894  |  Link
robl45

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
Was this subtitle issue ever fixed and maybe I'm doing it wrong?
For anyone who cares, Subtitles do work properly in 3d with madvr and MPC-BE. You set stereoscopic subtitles side by side and they pop out. Not perfect and sometimes they should be out more, but much better than being flat.
robl45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2016, 18:57   #38895  |  Link
ShiftyFella

Quote:

Quote:
I usually like sharpening done after SS unless applying too much sharpening anyway.

That said it is not always better to run Image Doubling, if I was watching a bluray on a 1080p screen (or UHD on a 4K screen) I would not use image doubling, unless I wanted to apply sharpening for some reason.
I guess its a personal preference but I just can't without SS, to me benefits are worth using it even for 1080p content on 1080p screen. BluRays are not really that sharp, so it does help alot and using image enhancements not always achieves needed effect for 720p and up vs plain doubling, SS with CE is even better, especially for anime content. SS on 4k file scaled down to 1440p is much better then just plain 4k->1440p, difference is night and day really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
Most files of my collection are high quality 1080p bluray rips.

My settings right now:

Chroma upscale: SuperXBR 100, AR
Image Downscale: SSIM 1D 100 AR, relaxed
Image Doubling: double luma, if sclaing factor is 2.0 or bigger
Image Upscale: Jinc AR
Upscaling Refinement: Luma Sharpen 0.65, SuperRes 3

1. Is luma sharpen a good quality sharpener or is there a better alternative in terms of quality? Should I use it under image enhancements or up-scaling refinement? Should I use it with anti-bloating and anti-ringing filter option?

2. I'm using SuperRes 3 under up-scaling refinement. Should I use SuperRes under chroma up-scaling too?

3. Do you guys use the AR, scale in linear light and anti bloating filter options with SSIM?

4. Should I activate the reduce ringing artifacts option in artifact removal? what are the downsides of this option?
I don't know how can you handle SuperRes @ 3, too me it's way too aggressive, I would not go over SR@1 if I use super-xbr for doubling, nnedi3 does not need SR as it does a good on its own without producing any aliasing that SR adds back if you use it with nnedi3. I generally prefer not to use SR and spent my resources elsewhere. YMMV as I watch it on 1440p monitor and 1080p plasma not 4k tv

For chroma upscaling I like the look of Reconstruction SharpAR but its too damn resource heavy, so I just stick with ReconSoft, also sometimes I feel like ReconSoft is more accurate and produces less artifacts then ReconSharpAR. Using SR @ 1 or 2 here feel like it helps but for most part I barely can tell if its on, because performance impact is so low I just keep it on

LumaSharpen is good sharper and I prefer it over AdaptiveSharpen but saying that I'm not big fan of LumaSharpen as using low values does nothing for me and with bigger values I noticed it sharpens noise as well, so I prefer to use Crispen Edges with Enhance detail instead as it achieves better result for my taste without really amplifying noise\film grain

For SSIM 1D downscaling I use AR relaxed and LL, I don't use anti-bloat as I don't feel like it does any bloating on its own but I do notice anti bloat filter making image touch softer, so I just prefer to have it off, as AB 25% makes no real difference and going higher makes image softer
ShiftyFella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2016, 19:51   #38896  |  Link
AntonP

Quote:
At this point it is not possible, do you have some real 24Hz 3D content?
Nvidia has 23.971 instead of 23.976 and reclock doesnt work with 23.971.
in 2D mode i set 24Hz + reclock (23.976 -> 24) in 3D want to do the same, but cant set 24Hz refresh rate
AntonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2016, 20:01   #38897  |  Link
robl45

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonP View Post
Nvidia has 23.971 instead of 23.976 and reclock doesnt work with 23.971.
in 2D mode i set 24Hz + reclock (23.976 -> 24) in 3D want to do the same, but cant set 24Hz refresh rate
You can't, you get the 3d refresh rate that you get and for nvidia that is 23.971 or so. Reclock certainly works fine with this, I have used it for years, but you aren't going to get bitstreaming like that so I have switched to using the internal intel graphics. Heck of a waste on a GTX950, but oh well.

At any rate. Reclock will take and speed up the video to 24 fps and match the audio. You should set your refresh at the nvidia 23hz setting which is 23.971 and let reclock do its thing.
robl45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2016, 20:32   #38898  |  Link
Warner306

Today, I noticed I am missing a couple of features in my madVR guide.

Could someone define the following under screen config?

move OSD into active video area

madVR's OSD or the video player?

anamorphic lens

stretch factor:

Does this set the vertical stretch applied by madVR?

If you projector is doing the vertical resizing, should this be disabled?

Last edited by Warner306; 26th July 2016 at 20:37.
Old 26th July 2016, 21:16   #38899  |  Link
Warner306

I'd also like feedback on this. I'm not especially confident I understand tone/gamut mapping:

enable HDR processing
When selected, madVR will apply its own mapping algorithms to HDR10 content. If unselected, this metadata is passed untouched to the display for processing. Pass-through support is waiting on driver updates from the GPU manufacturers.

preserve hue in ...
Out of gamut colors require mapping to fit inside the display gamut. A color in xyY color space is comprised of its hue, saturation and luminance. Desaturating a color outside the display gamut will produce a color with an incorrect hue. madVR will desaturate out of gamut colors while trying to preserve the correct hue. Two methods are available: low quality and high quality, which are ranked by processing resources used.
  • fix too bright & saturated pixels by:
compress highlights
Two options are available to deal with luminance values greater than the display brightness: tone mapping or highlight clipping. When checked, any values greater than the display peak luminance (100% brightness) are compressed according to a tone mapping curve. If unchecked, values larger than the display peak luminance value are simply clipped and ignored. Values 0 to 100 nits are left unaltered either way. Compressing highlights is likely to be more accurate than clipping them.
  • measure each frame's peak luminance
    madVR can measure the brightness of each pixel in each frame. This overcomes the limitation of HDR metadata, which provides a single value for peak luminance but no dynamic metadata. The brightness range of a video will vary during playback. By measuring the peak luminance of each pixel, madVR is able to offer on-demand tone mapping that is adjustable per frame.
  • restore details in compressed highlights
    Compressing highlight image areas into a smaller data set will lead to a loss of detail as values are stacked on top of each other. madVR selectively restores some of the detail lost in compressed areas by employing image sharpening. This added sharpening can introduce bloating and ringing, so appropriate anti-bloating and anti-ringing filters are also provided.
This display's peak luminance capability
The display peak luminance specifies 100% display brightness. This defines the upper range of the tone mapping curve or the point where values are clipped. There is no such thing as a correct setting, so experiment with this value. A display configured to Rec.709 (BT.709) should start with a value of 265 nits even if it is calibrated to 100 nits. Higher peak luminance values will progressively darken the image.

Last edited by Warner306; 1st August 2016 at 20:28.
Old 26th July 2016, 21:29   #38900  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
You do not need to turn off dithering! To keep the background still simply turn off "change dither for every frame".

Dithering is very important for anime! Doesn't the banding bother you without it?
Sorry for a delayed response.

I don't get any banding, since I am also using reduce banding artifacts with high / high on processing -> artifact removal.

I also use reduce ringing artifacts too from there!

Since the question has been posed, I think that adding dithering adds some sort of noisy pattern to the image, which is visible. Very visible to my eye (?)

I don't know why it doesn't bother other people, but to me, it just looks like surfaces that should not have a texture suddenly have one, and it affects / changes the texture of surfaces that have a texture.

I haven't noticed any other pluses that dithering added so far (?)
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling