Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 4th March 2016, 23:47   #36661  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Are you limiting your frames to 3 or less in your AMD control panel? Does it ONLY affect FSE?
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2016, 07:54   #36662  |  Link
har3inger

Only affects FSE. It's not possible to limit frames to anything in AMD control panel. This problem with weird queues is the entire reason madshi rolled out a new fix for the d3d11 render code.
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2016, 09:10   #36663  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolfy View Post
Sure, here you go

Original
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by har3inger View Post
The A/V delay is probably on the order of 25-75 ms. It's slight, but it's there. Has anyone else noticed this problem? Only exists when you use very high present queues in FSE.
Weird. If the queue only fills to 4 frames with the "old" D3D11 mode, then a desync of maybe 15-4 = 11 frames would have been logical.

Quote:
Radeonpro doesn't actually work on my computer. It can't find the ATI card.
There are a bunch of ATI tweak tools, this was just one which had a nice picture to it, showing the flip queue size GUI element. I suppose most/all of them will have the setting, so you could try a different tool. But if the desync is that small, I've kinda changed my mind and doesn't really expect this tweak to produce a difference. If you had a delay of ~11 frames then it would be a different situation.

Quote:
For now, I might just go back to using a 3 frame queue for present queue. Honestly, I don't really see any difference between 3 and something huge like 12, and FRC behavior doesn't seem to change based on the queue size. I've read before that you need more frames in present queue for FRC, but haven't actually found this to be the case. What would I be looking for, if it's not working properly at low queue sizes?
If you neither get frame drops nor presentation glitches, and if everything looks smooth to your eyes, too, then all is fine and you can just continue using the small queue size.

Quote:
This problem with weird queues is the entire reason madshi rolled out a new fix for the d3d11 render code.
The original reason I implemented that was to fix shaky 3D playback. But after I implemented it, I thought it might help with non-filling presentation queues, too.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2016, 15:11   #36664  |  Link
Werewolfy

I've found a really weird issue, I don't know if it has been reported.

The queues are not filling (all of them) when I upscale a video in 2160p using D3D11 exclusive mode (10 bit).
It's the only situation when this issue happens. I have no issues with D3D11 windowed mode or with D3D11 exclusive mode (8bit) or when I select 1080p for the desktop (whatever the resolution of the movie).

I was using Windows 7 x64 and never saw this issue. I've noticed it since I installed Windows 8.1 x64.
Old 5th March 2016, 15:29   #36665  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolfy View Post
I've found a really weird issue, I don't know if it has been reported.

The queues are not filling (all of them) when I upscale a video in 2160p using D3D11 exclusive mode (10 bit).
It's the only situation when this issue happens. I have no issues with D3D11 windowed mode or with D3D11 exclusive mode (8bit) or when I select 1080p for the desktop (whatever the resolution of the movie).

I was using Windows 7 x64 and never saw this issue. I've noticed it since I installed Windows 8.1 x64.
That has been reported a couple of times. The usual workaround in the past has been to reduce the number of prepresented frames to 3 or 4 frames. But please try the new "alternative glitch handling mode", maybe that fixes the issue for you? If it does, please double check that you don't get audio/video desync issues. I don't think you should, but since it's a brand new feature, double checking that might make sense.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2016, 19:57   #36666  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
That has been reported a couple of times. The usual workaround in the past has been to reduce the number of prepresented frames to 3 or 4 frames. But please try the new "alternative glitch handling mode", maybe that fixes the issue for you? If it does, please double check that you don't get audio/video desync issues. I don't think you should, but since it's a brand new feature, double checking that might make sense.
For what it's worth, the new glitch handling mode didn't help for me with a GTX 960. I still have to keep my present queue set to 6.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2016, 20:04   #36667  |  Link
Werewolfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I tried the "alternative glitch handling mode" but it didn't really help. Sometimes when I move forward or backward (I don't mean when displyaing the seekbar) into the video the queues filled but it's pretty rare.

If I reduce the prepresented frames to 4 frames, the queues fill correctly but I don't really want to modify that... The only combination that doesn't give me dropped frames with interlaced DVD are :
- CPU queue size : 23
- GPU queue size : 14
- Frames presented in advance : 6

Deinterlacing seems to be pretty erratic most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
For what it's worth, the new glitch handling mode didn't help for me with a GTX 960. I still have to keep my present queue set to 6.
Strange, 6 doesn't work for me. I have to use 4.
Old 5th March 2016, 20:57   #36668  |  Link
har3inger

Okay, this is weird. I tried turning off FSE and just using windowed FS for longer queues, and D3D11 windowed full screen has a delay, but windowed (downsized 1080p-> 1080p plus window frames) has no delay.

Whatever. Back to tiny queue sizes it is :P
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 00:10   #36669  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Jump to time (by clicking on the time scale in MPC-HC) is broken since 0.90.4 (WinXP). To be precise, the first click works but the second one is not and the player may hang after it.
Sample: http://mir.cr/2XNEHWTK

Magically yours
Raistlin
GCRaistlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 01:27   #36670  |  Link
CarlosCaco

with d3d11 "old" my queues donīt fill, with the new alternate now my queues fill and the a/v are perfect synced, but i have a slight perfomance loss because the present a frame for every vsync option

i donīt output 10 bit and 3d, so there any advantage for me to use d3d11 ? or should i stay on d3d9?

iīm usinf FSE with the standard settings:

- CPU queue size : 16
- GPU queue size : 8
- Frames presented in advance :8

theres any advantage if i increase my queues? i have the trade quality option donīt render frames when fade... checked
CarlosCaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 01:43   #36671  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
I have a 960 also. For what content and settings? Upscaling to 4k using d3d11 10-bit?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 06:17   #36672  |  Link
Dlget

something wrong with fullscreen scaling.
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/164548

Tested with Zoom control disabled & Only move subtitle to inactive video area.
Video is not cropped.I can decrease width with "Num4" & it looks perfect then.
Why in fullscreen width is increased????hence some content in both side is lost.
How to fix this.

I'm using MadVR 0.9.12 with MPC-BE
Asus Gtx 960 strix OC
Dlget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 07:05   #36673  |  Link
huhn

can you make a screen with the osd (control+j)?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 09:53   #36674  |  Link
Dlget

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
can you make a screen with the osd (control+j)?
ahh.forgot basic setting.
Anyway solved now.
Thanks
Asus Gtx 960 strix OC
Dlget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 11:32   #36675  |  Link
Aikibana

A more general question: Does anyone know how to fix the display number ID's?

I'd like my pc monitor to be number one, so it's ID number will STAY UNCHANGED when my second display (tv) is turned on for movie viewing.
My tv is connected via HDMI to the graphics card and always hijacks the ID number one spot when turned on.

The problem, however small, is that I always have to reconfigure the fullscreen options in MPC-HC because the display numbers have changed.

PS: This has no negative impact on my desktop positioning or icons, because I set my pc monitor as the primary default screen in win 10.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by Aikibana; 6th March 2016 at 11:34.
Aikibana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 15:27   #36676  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikibana View Post
A more general question: Does anyone know how to fix the display number ID's?
Windows seems to be a power on to itself for display ID's. I've had occasional problems with this and I've never been able to find a solution other than to have all monitors on all the time.
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 16:05   #36677  |  Link
aufkrawall

madshi, have you already taken a look at the latest super-xbr update? Seems like a big deal to me.
There are new versions of Adaptive Sharpen and SuperRes too.

Edit: Latest version on Github is from February:
https://github.com/bacondither/Adaptive-sharpen/

Last edited by aufkrawall; 6th March 2016 at 16:54.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 19:33   #36678  |  Link
Sunset1982

Quote:
madshi, have you already taken a look at the latest super-xbr update? Seems like a big deal to me.

https://github.com/libretro/common-s...-multipass.cgp

You're right. It looks nice. Maybe Madshi could use it in madVR...
Old 6th March 2016, 20:09   #36679  |  Link
Hyllian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
https://github.com/libretro/common-s...-multipass.cgp

You're right. It looks nice. Maybe Madshi could use it in madVR...
I think you two are a bit mistaken. Those updates are for the xBR shaders, not for the super-xbr ones. They're very different shaders.

Though the new color distance code I'm using on standard xbr might some way improve other filters (including sxbr).

Instead using just luma, I found a source that presents a different way to calc distance between colors. See the source here (thanks to Sp00kyfox): http://www.compuphase.com/cmetric.htm

I played a bit with that formula and modified it a bit for my needs. So, the new xBR shaders are using that and it improves color, specially in sharp red/blue transitions. I don't know if these sharp color transitions are critical in movies as they are for games, maybe cartoons could benefit.

My color distance (a bit different from that source):
Code:
// Originally, these are the values
//#define XBR_RED_COEF  2.0
//#define XBR_GREEN_COEF 4.0
//#define XBR_BLUE_COEF  3.0

// These are better for my tastes. Other good combination is (3, 6, 1).
#define XBR_RED_COEF  17.0
#define XBR_GREEN_COEF 20.0
#define XBR_BLUE_COEF  3.0

float df(float3 A, float3 B)
{
	float rmean = (A.r+B.r)/2.0;
	float3 diff = A - B;
	float3 K = float3(XBR_RED_COEF+rmean, XBR_GREEN_COEF, XBR_BLUE_COEF-rmean);

return sqrt(dot(K*diff, diff));
}
I have a CIECAM02-UCS shader implementation, which are considered the best way to calc color distances. It's just too much calculations for my needs. The results with that new color distance algo are very comparable with this ciecam02-ucs, at least on my tests. I think it's very good performance for much less computation.

Here's a comparison where it's easy to see how the new color distance algo fixes red/blue sharp transitions when compared to the standard color distance algo based only on luma: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comp...4239/picture:0

Last edited by Hyllian; 6th March 2016 at 20:29.
Hyllian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 20:30   #36680  |  Link
aufkrawall

I think with the reduced ringing, super-xbr is almost as good as NNEDI3, but with much lower performance impact. NNEDI3 is still a bit better regarding aliasing (however, it also seems to remove some of the source on the other hand).
Kudos for your work!
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling