Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > PC Hard & Software

Old 22nd March 2007, 15:38   #1  |  Link
clsid

Since rev 1059, I am not able to compile ffdshow anymore on my main PC, because Windows XP and Visual Studio 2005 or newer are required.

So this is a good excuse to build a new system. I was thinking about getting these components:

Case: Chieftec BH-01B-B-B
PSU: Seasonic S12-500
Mobo: Asus P5B-E
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 (2,13 GHz) (will be oc'ed)
Mem: Kingston KHX6400D2LLK2/2GN 2048 MB DDR2 PC6400 CAS4
HDD: 2x Western Digital Caviar SE16 320 GB
CPU fan: Scythe SCNJ-1100P Ninja Rev. B
DVD Burner: Asus DRW1814BLT
GC: Asus EAX1650PRO SILENT/TD

Edit: updated component list with better stuff

Last edited by clsid; 22nd March 2007 at 21:14.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 15:49   #2  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

haha, I'm planing to build my new system at the same time.
Which should I buy vista64 or Xp64?
Does mingw-GCC run on vista64?
Old 22nd March 2007, 16:20   #3  |  Link
clsid

I am probably going to create a dual-boot system XP32 + XP64.

Is there a 64-bit mingw yet?
Old 22nd March 2007, 16:26   #4  |  Link
fastplayer

Way off-topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 600 Watt
Get anything from Enermax, Antec, OCZ (GameXStream) or Seasonic (S12).
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid
Mobo: Asus P5N-E SLI
Have you looked at the nvidia's chipset driver support? Abysmal...
Pair the Conroe up with Intel's P965 chipset: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 or ASUS P5B-E.
Quote:
HDD: 2x Samsung Spinpoint T166 500 GB 7200RPM SATAII
Awesome price, good performance and vibrate like hell... Get something from Seagate or WD like the "Caviar SE16". If you want it really quiet, then get one of WD's "WDxxxxAAJS" drives.
Quote:
DVD Burner: Samsung SH-S183A SATA
I have the predecessor SH-W163A and it just burns
Quote:
Any suggestions for which mid-range graphics card I should get?
Can you wait till ATI and NVIDIA release their mid-range DX10 offerings? The 8600GT(S) looks promising.
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 16:34   #5  |  Link
Px
>>^^__^^<<

Quote:
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 600 Watt
Too high price, not low noise, better to buy Seasonic S-12 SS-500HT or FSP Epsilon FSP500-80GLN. There is no really need in high wattages....if you not planning to build quad crossfire system on R600
Quote:
Mobo: Asus P5N-E SLI
Only if you want to create SLI system, set up linux in near future (not in year/two) or use IDE HDD/ODD. In other case Asus P5B-E Plus is better.
Quote:
HDD: 2x Samsung Spinpoint T166 500 GB 7200RPM SATAII
From point of noise, it's not a good decision, better to buy hdds with 300-320 GB capacity
Quote:
DVD Burner: Samsung SH-S183A SATA
Good reader, not good writer, better Asus 1612BLT/1814BLT, they also SATA....
Quote:
Any suggestions for which mid-range graphics card I should get?
Now it's not a very good time for buying videocard, because in middle of april NVIDIA presents new GeForce 8600/8400/8300 cards with DX10 support, also AMD (ATI) near to that show new R600 middlerange products.
From current point - better AMD (ATI) Radeon X1950 PRO, but I don't know what prices you rate as mid-range, maybe in your country NVIDIA 8800GTS 320 MB gets in that range....
Px is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 19:09   #6  |  Link
clsid

Thanks for the tips guys.

I'll change to the Seasonic PSU and the Asus burner.

I assumed the Samsung drives to be quiet. Maybe I'll get some 250GB ones of the older Spinpoint model instead. Those are famous for their low noise. I'll have a look at the WD ones too.

The reason I chose for the Asus P5N-E SLI mobo is its low price and compatibility with the upcoming Intel CPUs (with 1333 FSB). I know the nVidia drivers for Vista are crap. I'll have a better look at some alternatives. Perhaps an Asus P5B-E or an Asus P5B-V (with onboard graphics, so that I can wait for a DX10 card).

I know it is a bad time for getting a graphics card. So maybe I'll just get a cheap one and replace it later.

Last edited by clsid; 22nd March 2007 at 19:30.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 19:20   #7  |  Link
Episode
n00b

@clsid, I'd suggest ATI's 1950 series since Nvidia doesn't seem to care about XP-users anymore. Last official beta driver for other than 8800 series cards was released last november :-/ ATI on the other hand releases new drivers every month.
Episode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 22:59   #8  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Episode View Post
@clsid, I'd suggest ATI's 1950 series since Nvidia doesn't seem to care about XP-users anymore. Last official beta driver for other than 8800 series cards was released last november :-/ ATI on the other hand releases new drivers every month.
Don't hold your breath... ATI/AMD isn't any more likely to keep up with XP support, especially with new features such as DXVA 2.0 and DirectX 10 which require Vista.
zambelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 23:59   #9  |  Link
Px
>>^^__^^<<

Quote:
The problems with NV drivers came from no competition with ATI, they see no competitor (long R600 launch) and think that there is no need to fix bugs, users anyway buy their product....
Also, now them focused on vista drivers......
Old 23rd March 2007, 03:22   #10  |  Link
Gord

Quote:
The 100.95 betas released a few weeks ago would refute your claims I would think.
Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2007, 08:51   #11  |  Link
tekNerd
just noobing around

100.95 betas?
tekNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2007, 10:42   #12  |  Link
Px
>>^^__^^<<

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekNerd View Post
100.95 betas?
Also 100.87, 100.65, 101.41......
Old 23rd March 2007, 10:44   #13  |  Link
dragongodz

Quote:
The 100.95 betas released a few weeks ago would refute your claims I would think.
no 100.95 were 8 series only aswell. however you can get a modded inf to install to 6 and 7 series cards aswell. relevant information here
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Quote:
Nvidia doesn't seem to care about XP-users anymore.
Quote:
ATI on the other hand releases new drivers every month.
hmm pity they dont seem to be able to release hardware then isnt it ?
i mean come on. i know people are constantly wanting new drivers but unless you have some major problem older drivers are generally fine for series 6 and7 cards on XP.
also you have no idea what ati's drivers are going to be like. any claim that they will be perfect is refuted by their current drivers. you mention they keep releasing drivers, why is that do you think ? because they are perfect ? think again.
lets just stop the nvidia bashing or take it to some other forum like rage3d.

personally if you are thinking of going for one of the midrange dx10 capable cards in a few months there is little to no point going for a top end card now, thats from either nvidia or ati.

for HDD i would be tempted to go seagate insted of WD because traditionally the seagates are cooler. so long as you have plenty of air flow/cooling in your case though it probably wont make too much difference.
Old 23rd March 2007, 11:35   #14  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

People are mostly worried about card makers continuing support for older platforms and cards with new games, and I doubt that's going to change much in the future. Within a few months, the vista dust will settle down, and even if the drivers are never reunified they'll still release new xp drivers. Plus X1300s or 7300s for temp cards are dirt cheap and just as sellable in six months as now.

AMD's already written off the R600 as their version of the Geforce FX/NV30, and is putting most of their engineering toward the R700, for better or worse. They expect to compete in the holiday season or next year with a redesigned chip on a much smaller process instead. Don't expect miracles once X2900 comes out, even if it's more powerful than an 8800gtx when it's cranked up, it'll dim the lights and won't be long for this world.

Last edited by foxyshadis; 23rd March 2007 at 11:50.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2007, 12:17   #15  |  Link
shtef

Hi everyone. I just noticed that new processors from Intel are coming out. Specifically there's E6420 with same price as E6400 but with 4MB of L2 cache (E6400 has only 2MB).
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...duo-e6420.html

Regards.
shtef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2007, 13:09   #16  |  Link
check
phjbdpcrjlj2sb3h

I never liked kingston RAM, why not get some corsair TwinX 6400 CAS4 or 5 stuff?
check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2007, 20:15   #17  |  Link
nfm
MAGIK

It doesn't matter what brand, but what chips are on sticks if you're going to overclock.
nfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 09:56   #18  |  Link
diizzy

@ clsid
Perhaps a bit late but I woudn't go with the Asus P5B-E, first of all it uses an Attansic LAN-chip and they've been acquired which likely wont continue support on their products (I imagine) and I dont think performance isnt that great either. It also uses an ADI-chip for sound while being a rather good AD seems to be very slow or non existant when it comes to driver updates which may be interesting.
I would recommend you to go with Gigabyte Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 which uses Realtek HD Audio-chip and Marvell (Yukon) for LAN.
//Danne
diizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 11:44   #19  |  Link
Px
>>^^__^^<<

Quote:
Originally Posted by diizzy View Post
@ clsid
Perhaps a bit late but I woudn't go with the Asus P5B-E, first of all it uses an Attansic LAN-chip and they've been acquired which likely wont continue support on their products (I imagine) and I dont think performance isnt that great either.
Attansic were bought by Asus, you really think that they stop supporting Asus products?
Quote:
Originally Posted by diizzy View Post
It also uses an ADI-chip for sound while being a rather good AD seems to be very slow or non existant when it comes to driver updates which may be interesting.
I would recommend you to go with Gigabyte Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 which uses Realtek HD Audio-chip and Marvell (Yukon) for LAN.
//Danne
GG-byte () got problems with overclock, stability and BIOS, some of my friends try both mainboards in their PC, and choose Asus....
Old 27th March 2007, 12:36   #20  |  Link
diizzy

No, you're wrong
http://www.dailywireless.com/press-r...aquire-102306/
http://www.atheros.com/news/attansic.html

The Gigabyte is solid as a rock, you have a lot of users that can confirm that. Your friends most likely got HW rev 1 which is being replaced by HW rev 3.3

I would personally go for a ViiV platform (due to stability) but they arent OC friendly.
//Danne
diizzy is offline   Reply With Quote