Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 31st December 2017, 07:53   #48001  |  Link
AttackSharply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
This is the drivers fault. The software says FSE mode please, and the drivers do something that crashes the system.

FSE mode uses parts of the drivers/hardware other modes do not. Software has to access the hardware via the drivers, it has no control at the IRQ level. Software can sometimes work around driver issues to avoid them crashing but not cause a blue screen itself, at worse the software crashes.
It may be premature to make the claim, but 92.10 seems to have solved the new BSOD issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
ive had similar issues, mine doesnt blue screen it just hangs, i get a black screen and the pc is dead, I have to power cycle it, nothing in events, no mini or memory dump, nada, at least if you are getting a BSOD you can check where its coming from.

I was also getting random black screens when coming out of movies for no reason, with identical settings I didnt get the same on my AMD card.

All the issues we are having awith win 10 t the moment seem to stem from the fall update, my system was stable before that.

Have you tried a full clean install of GFX drivers, LAV and MADVR?
MadVR 92.10 seems to have solved the 'attempted execute of noexecute memory' issue.
AttackSharply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 08:39   #48002  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
is there a way to quickly "convert" a few clips (which still amount to a few thousand frames) through madvr processing without manually screenshooting every single frame?
Nothing yet.. Sometime soon though.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 08:44   #48003  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
is there a way to quickly "convert" a few clips (which still amount to a few thousand frames) through madvr processing without manually screenshooting every single frame?
OBS game capture should be able to do it but don't expect perfect results.
huhn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 14:38   #48004  |  Link
Yoshi

@madshi: Since I suppose it got lost in this thread despite your announcement to pickup several posts content-wise - any comments on the remarks I had made a while ago?

Last edited by Yoshi; 31st December 2017 at 14:39. Reason: correction of formatting
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 16:16   #48005  |  Link
Ceremony

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
OBS game capture should be able to do it but don't expect perfect results.
wouldn't that record duplicate frames?
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 18:35   #48006  |  Link
heiseikiseki

Happy New Year And Thanks madshi for the developing in 2017!
heiseikiseki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 21:49   #48007  |  Link
Dorohedoro

Yeah madshi, happy new year, to you and all the members of this amazing community.

Madshi, this year me and my woman saw a lot of movies with the best video quality thank to you. Really, thank you so much my friend.
Dorohedoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 23:57   #48008  |  Link
mparade

3D decoding/rendering issue

Hello there,

I would need some help, if possible. I am totally got stuck with 3D playback (2D HD and SD is working as expected).

I have the following system without 3D working both using JRiver and Kodi for testing.

The system:
i5 7600K CPU,
16GB RAM,
Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti,
LG C6V HDR 3D TV.
Nvidia driver installed: 388.71.
Windows 10, 64-bit.

Problem: Both of my players are crashing when selecting "use Direct3D 11 for presentation..." under general settings of madVR. Black screen effect after selecting "enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode".
madVR version: 0.92.4.

I have a 3D capable system but 3D has never been working here using madVR and LAV filters. When I try to play back a "frame-packed" mkv container in Jriver/Kodi DSplayer, after being sure I am fulfilling all the requirements for 3D playback, madVR handles the decoded source as 2D (even no indiation of 3D among the "ctrl+J infos" while playing back), so I am pretty sure of that that something is wrong at the decoding stage already (LAV filters).

Please help. Maybe the expert guys here has already encountered with such problems regarding 3D.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Last edited by mparade; 1st January 2018 at 00:00.
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2018, 08:32   #48009  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
wouldn't that record duplicate frames?
yes and the trick is it to not show duplicated frames and duplicated frames are pretty easy to fix but don't worry there are even more problems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparade View Post
I have the following system without 3D working both using JRiver and Kodi for testing.
try it in MPC-HC
Quote:
Problem: Both of my players are crashing when selecting "use Direct3D 11 for presentation..." under general settings of madVR. Black screen effect after selecting "enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode".
madVR version: 0.92.4.
what now? does the player crash or do you get blackscreen or both?
be awaree that windows 10 pretty much hates FSE and it has changed alot in term of FSE and depending on the windows 10 version you are using you may have more or less problems.

don't except microsoft nvidia or AMD to test 3D properly test it. it is not used much... and they have way bigger problems.

what so ever 3D work fine for me.
i just need to run the nvidia 3d wizard and that it.
Quote:
I have a 3D capable system but 3D has never been working here using madVR and LAV filters. When I try to play back a "frame-packed" mkv container in Jriver/Kodi DSplayer, after being sure I am fulfilling all the requirements for 3D playback, madVR handles the decoded source as 2D (even no indiation of 3D among the "ctrl+J infos" while playing back), so I am pretty sure of that that something is wrong at the decoding stage already (LAV filters).
when installing lavfilter you need to install the extra intel 3D decoder that is not installed by default.
Old 1st January 2018, 16:31   #48010  |  Link
khanmein

The FSE with D3D11 is fixed by Microsoft Windows.
khanmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2018, 18:14   #48011  |  Link
Ben_Nicholls

With the exception of a few incredibly slow scripts (like MSRmod) NGU seems to do the job for me. Is there some simple resize function out there that could be made to use NGU in Avisynth? Have it working in madVR but no idea how to load it into Avisynth..... my 780Ti is just about powerful enough on the simplest settings (saving up for a 1070 Ti hoping in combination with an i7 4930K@4.2GHz and 16GB 2133MHz I should be able to crank up the settings a bit more).

Would be really nice however to be able to render videos in 1440p/2160p to watch on lower power devices like my tablet, phone and TV.
Ben_Nicholls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2018, 20:05   #48012  |  Link
mytbyte

Sorry if this has been covered before but the thread is huuge, the search found nothing.

I'm using HDR->SDR conversion via MadVR to a measured 180 nit monitor with cca 2.2 gamma...I have measured the post-MadVR gamma curve for it with a colorimeter, with "compress highlights" turned on...comparing it to the BT2084 curve, I find that the rolloff starts way too early, as low as 30% (10 nits) input while it should start at around 50% (or around 100 nits) since that's what color grading aims at as diffuse white. I know 200 nits peak brightness of an average monitor is not exactly HDR, but what I propose, there would still be 100 nits to do the rolloff and achieve more of the HDR effect...just a note: changing current options except turning off "compress highlights" made no difference...

I'd like to encourage the Great Madshi to look into this and hopefully adapt the behaviour of the conversion. Thanks.

Last edited by mytbyte; 2nd January 2018 at 10:52.
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2018, 22:23   #48013  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
what now? does the player crash or do you get blackscreen or both?
be awaree that windows 10 pretty much hates FSE and it has changed alot in term of FSE and depending on the windows 10 version you are using you may have more or less problems.
MPC-HC clearly is crashing when:

"use Direct3D 11 for presentation..." is enabled
or when "automatic fullscreen exclusive mode" is enabled
in case of any source I have but "frame-packed" 3D sources.

and of course frame-packed 3D rendering is only working as it expected when:

"use Direct3D 11 for presentation..."is enabled
and when "automatic fullscreen exclusive mode" is enabled, too.

So for a stable workflow I need to create separate profile for 3D sources and everything else currently. I have to give up with 10-bit processing as well due to lack of feature Direct3D 11.

Does anyone have some solution? Going back to a previous Nvidia driver would help? Or should I wait for a win10 repair/new driver from Nvidia?
Old 1st January 2018, 23:55   #48014  |  Link
AngelGraves13

madshi, there's a few UHD titles that madvr doesn't correctly recognize the HDR properties. One such title is Planet Earth II UHD Blu-ray. It says "HDR, unknown properties." Another title I encountered this with is Terminator 2: Judgment Day. Maybe it's just a cosmetic thing, but it does correctly measure the peak values.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 00:43   #48015  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
madshi, there's a few UHD titles that madvr doesn't correctly recognize the HDR properties. One such title is Planet Earth II UHD Blu-ray. It says "HDR, unknown properties." Another title I encountered this with is Terminator 2: Judgment Day. Maybe it's just a cosmetic thing, but it does correctly measure the peak values.
There is no HDR metadata for these titles. They have all fields set to zero. Nothing to do with MadVR, which is correctly reporting the absence of information.

Same for Life of Pi and the UK version of Dunkirk.
Denon X8500H>HD Fury Maestro>JVC RS2000

Last edited by Manni; 2nd January 2018 at 11:26.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 00:46   #48016  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
There is no HDR metadata for these titles. They have all fields set to zero. Nothing to do with MadVR, which correctly reporting the absence of information.

Same for Life of Pi and the UK version of Dunkirk.
Good catch. Didn't notice that at first.

Last edited by AngelGraves13; 2nd January 2018 at 02:07.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 07:13   #48017  |  Link
Clammerz

Quote:
I don't know about "quickly", but you can use something like AutoHotkey to issue the "next frame" key in the media player followed by the screenshot key. Decent players auto-increment the screenshot filename, and so long as you add enough delay between frames (or pixel peak the timeline/framecounter for perfect control) it should work fine for small clips.

You may need to check MadVRs screenshot options to make sure it's outputting the expected results (I believe there are options to use pre/post resize for example).
Clammerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 14:26   #48018  |  Link
mparade

In case of "frame-packed" 3D source, is it the correct behaviour of madVR not to double the source to 4K, even though the display is 4K with the refresh rates and resolution and a "3D" profile's doubling algorithm set properly? I expected 2 pcs of 4K image being sent to the display.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 2nd January 2018, 14:42   #48019  |  Link
huhn

3D is capped at 1080p that's the maximum HDMI supports there is no UHD 3D spec.
Old 2nd January 2018, 18:12   #48020  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
3D is capped at 1080p that's the maximum HDMI supports there is no UHD 3D spec.
Ok, thanks for the info!

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling