Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 21st February 2016, 13:02   #36301  |  Link
l0rdraiden

I'm using madVr and I have like 100 presentations glitches or more per second (no dropped frames)
Where is the issue?
I have tried everything, I have used the SVP4 installer, the KCP installer, I have installed and configure everything manually, I have change all the imaginable settings in madvr, I have tried with MPC BE/HC, I have spend hours in looking for a solution in google and still i have tons of presentation glitches despite I can not notice any degradation in the video.

I'm on win10 x64 i54670k and a raedon HD 7970 with latest version of the video drivers Crimson hotfix 1.1 (same issue with the stable version). I didn't have this issue on win 8.1 as far as I can remember.

Please can someone help me to troubleshot this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by l0rdraiden; 21st February 2016 at 13:09.
l0rdraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 13:06   #36302  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
I painted a test pattern with thin and thick lines of blue and red circles in 4:4:4.
Then video captured the screen with CamStudio (screen recording software).
Then compressed the RGB (4:4:4) video through x264 to YCbCr 4:2:0 lossless.

I simply compared the original 4:4:4 video with the 4:2:0 video and chose a chrome upscaler which looks closest to the original 4:4:4 video.

To my eyes Super-XBR 150 almost recreates the thin chroma data without touching much the thick circles.
Is this S-XBR 150 AR for chroma? or just plain S-XBR 150 for chroma? Is ask this, because on ryrynz's screenshot comparisons AR looks a little nasty.

QB
Old 21st February 2016, 13:23   #36303  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I've noticed that when anti-ringing is enabled with super-xbr and to a lesser degree Jinc (both with AR enabled and not along with some other scalers) can bring green tinges and possibly other colors if the source white contains some inside, which isn't ideal. This is only noticeable upon close inspection however.
Interesting, thanks. Can you make 1 more test with the same image using Jinc/AR? Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 13:35   #36304  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
All neuron counts with NNEDI3 for chroma look basically identical. It's pretty much a waste using more than 16 neurons on it for chroma IMO as
I Rolled a 16 neurons screenshot and a 256 neuron screenshot back and forward and I can't tell the difference viewing it 1 foot away.

I've noticed that when anti-ringing is enabled with super-xbr and to a lesser degree Jinc (both with AR enabled and not along with some other scalers) can bring green tinges and possibly other colors if the source white contains some inside, which isn't ideal. This is only noticeable upon close inspection however.

The below screenshot comparison shows how bad this can be but you'd be hard pressed to notice it while watching.

super-xbr 150 vs super-xbr 150 AR

Also for comparison NNEDi3-16 taps vs Reconstruction sharp

I'm actually really liking super-xbr 150 for chroma... I wonder if it'd be possible to make a combination of it and reconstruction?
So it looks like I've got a new preference for chroma..

James can you share your videos? Thanks for testing it BTW, I wouldn't have considered it useful for chroma if you hadn't mentioned it.
Thanks, I use NNEDI3 32 because I have the power to spare without raising fan noise. At 64, it raises the fan noise significantly for no visible improvements.

I kept 32 because I read a while ago that only 16 could be worse. I'm so far from maxing the CPU/GPU with 32 that really it doesn't make any difference to keep 32.

In any case, I'm going to try Super XBR 150 for chroma. No AR I guess given the artifacts with AR.
Denon X8500H>HD Fury Maestro>JVC RS2000
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 14:02   #36305  |  Link
huhn

this shows the color boosting from reconstruction and the ringing i reported some weeks ago.

super XBR 150 can go wrong. super XBR 75was the only save choice i found.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 14:27   #36306  |  Link
tObber166

Hmm, something's wrong with DXVA Upscale colors

DXVA vs Spline
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/162815

DXVA vs Jinc
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/162814

It seems to only affect upscale, not DXVA downscale.
Anyone else who experienced this?

Using madvr 0.90.10
Nvidia 361.91

Last edited by tObber166; 21st February 2016 at 14:31.
tObber166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 14:45   #36307  |  Link
markanini

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
this shows the color boosting from reconstruction and the ringing i reported some weeks ago.

super XBR 150 can go wrong. super XBR 75was the only save choice i found.
How does superXBR75 compare to reconstruction?
markanini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 15:11   #36308  |  Link
Unr3aL

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0rdraiden View Post
I'm using madVr and I have like 100 presentations glitches or more per second (no dropped frames)
Where is the issue?
I have tried everything, I have used the SVP4 installer, the KCP installer, I have installed and configure everything manually, I have change all the imaginable settings in madvr, I have tried with MPC BE/HC, I have spend hours in looking for a solution in google and still i have tons of presentation glitches despite I can not notice any degradation in the video.

I'm on win10 x64 i54670k and a raedon HD 7970 with latest version of the video drivers Crimson hotfix 1.1 (same issue with the stable version). I didn't have this issue on win 8.1 as far as I can remember.

Please can someone help me to troubleshot this problem?

Thanks in advance.
Are you, by any chance, running your screen at 120Hz or something? If yes try to use 60 Hz and see if that works...

MadVR never used to play nice with 120Hz in my case.

Greetz, Unr3aL67
Unr3aL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 16:46   #36309  |  Link
Werewolfy

@madshi

First, I'd like to thank you and Shiandow for SSIM downscaling. I've never been happy with downscaling in the past, always found it too blurry and now it's sharp and natural I don't agree with some statements that it looks artifical, it definitely doesn't.

I spent a long time playing with your upscaling refinement options but I can't find a correct setting for every contents. I admit that I'm not a fan of sharpening filters, it always sharpens the flaws in the picture (even if your edge enhancement is the best I've seen!) and the only one I can use is the Reality Creation from Sony. The thin edges option is quite good too on DVD anime but I don't want it on movies so it's still not a set and forget setting.

I have a question. I see that there is an option to move the subtitles. Would it be possible to allow the user to change the color and the font too? I know it's easy with .srt files but I can't find a way to do it with DVD and Blu-Ray subtitles. I found that your option to move the subtitles works with Blu-Ray so I immediately thought to ask you if it would be possible. It's not just a cosmetic change, it allows the local dimming on Edge Led not to get very bright when subtitles are displayed. I also have a simulation of HDR on my display called X-tended Dynamic range and it works wonderfully... but not with white bright subtitles. Dark yellow subtitles are really better with my TV.
Old 21st February 2016, 16:51   #36310  |  Link
Uoppi

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
And this occurred with Reconstruction sharp, not soft, if I recall correctly?
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 16:55   #36311  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolfy View Post
I have a question. I see that there is an option to move the subtitles. Would it be possible to allow the user to change the color and the font too? I know it's easy with .srt files but I can't find a way to do it with DVD and Blu-Ray subtitles. I found that your option to move the subtitles works with Blu-Ray so I immediately thought to ask you if it would be possible.
DVD and Blu-ray subtitles are bitmaps (images), to change their font you would need to OCR and re-render them, nothing I would ever expect to happen.
Old 21st February 2016, 17:03   #36312  |  Link
l0rdraiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unr3aL View Post
Are you, by any chance, running your screen at 120Hz or something? If yes try to use 60 Hz and see if that works...

MadVR never used to play nice with 120Hz in my case.

Greetz, Unr3aL67
Thanks a lot, as you pointed out at 60 Hz works fine, my monitor was at 144 Hz.

Is this a bug or known issue of Madvr? is there any plan or any way to fix it?

@madshi ?

Last edited by l0rdraiden; 21st February 2016 at 17:06.
l0rdraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 17:04   #36313  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
DVD and Blu-ray subtitles are bitmaps (images), to change their font you would need to OCR and re-render them, nothing I would ever expect to happen.
Seriously? Why would you ever use bitmaps for such a thing?
DragonQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 17:05   #36314  |  Link
leandronb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDisk80 View Post
I have the same problem if I use MPC-BE with internal filters.
But if I use MPC-BE with LAV filters the problem goes away.

Just tested and it's the same problem also with the latest madVR version.
Updated madvr and have the same problems too. I use LAV filters+madvr+ac3filter with MPC.
Black screen after skiping a video file to another in the same folder.
leandronb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 17:06   #36315  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
Seriously? Why would you ever use bitmaps for such a thing?
Because font rendering is an annoying topic, and it greatly simplifies the required playback capabilities to just show images. Blu-ray subtitles can even include small images for commentary tracks or interactive elements.
While you can't do some of the transformations that you could with text subtitles, bitmap subtitles instead generally just work out of the box without having to worry about having the proper font, supporting the language and encoding the text is in, etc etc.

Blu-rays can actually include text subtitles, but its an extremely rarely used feature. I don't think I have a single disc that uses it, out of hundreds.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 21st February 2016 at 17:10.
nevcairiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 17:40   #36316  |  Link
XMonarchY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
After 345 posts, I have a hard time believing any of your questions are serious? Do you really want an answer or are you trying to flood this forum with useless posts?

You must know what NNEDI3 is -- image doubling, not image upscaling. And of course not all of the downscaling options are Bicubic; they are no different than the image upscaling algorithms. Many probably use very similar approaches to image scaling, with similar math -- but they are not the same.
Yet I have it in Chroma Upscaling... So Chroma Upscaling is similar to Image Doubling? You're confusing me further. I visited this thread enough times to understand the most important aspect - the best image quality settings with flawless performance (no dropped/skipped/delay frames and/or no presentation glitches) on my rig and, generally speaking, how these settings compare against lower quality settings. Dithering, SuperRes, Sharpening, 3DLUT, color depth, 0-255/16-235 range, de-blocking/artifact reduction, smooth motion, Image Downscaling and Image Doubling/Quadrupling.

I know what Chroma is, what Luma is, what SuperRes does, but full understanding of Chroma Upscaling and Image Upscaling and the differences between them, as well as, differences between different types of processing for those functions is not yet present in my brain. I know what processing looks best (IMHO) and runs great on my rig.

Aside from my day-time job search, I get paid building, setting up, and optimizing Home-Theater Gaming PC's (which obviously includes settings up madVR!), as well as, calibrating displays/projectors for those interested in having a decent Home Theater with the best image quality their Home-Theater Gaming PC's can pull. The completely understanding of Chroma Upscaling and Image Upscaling is not necessary to perform the work I described above...

Do you really think most people visiting this thread have complete understanding of Chroma Upscaling and Image Upscaling and why there's NNEDI3 available for Chroma Upscaling, but not Image Upscaling, even though NNEDI3 is available for Image Doubling/Quadrupling??? I am sorry if my ignorance aggravated your mood....

I also asked about whether different processing names were equivalent to some form of Bicubic because some members reported little-to-no difference between SSIM and Bicubic 125/150 (whatever value). Thus, it possibly implies other processing types could also be equivalent to some Bicubic value.
Old 21st February 2016, 17:56   #36317  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
Yet I have it in Chroma Upscaling... So Chroma Upscaling is similar to Image Doubling?
Yes, it could just as well be called Chroma Doubling. It's only used for videos where the chroma channels are stored at a lower resolution than the luma channel (most videos, but not all, are stored with the chroma channels half as wide and half as tall as the luma channel). The chroma channel is doubled first (using data from the higher resolution luma channel in the case of Bilateral and Reconstruction), and then the other upscaling and downscaling options operate in (linear) RGB.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 19:08   #36318  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uoppi View Post
And this occurred with Reconstruction sharp, not soft, if I recall correctly?
yeah that should be the case not sure anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markanini View Post
How does superXBR75 compare to reconstruction?
it's not nearly as sharp but it doesn't really mess up.
Old 21st February 2016, 19:10   #36319  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tObber166 View Post
Hmm, something's wrong with DXVA Upscale colors

DXVA vs Spline
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/162815

DXVA vs Jinc
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/162814

It seems to only affect upscale, not DXVA downscale.
Anyone else who experienced this?

Using madvr 0.90.10
Nvidia 361.91
i guess checking your GPU settings is a start.

DXVA scaling can be affected by the GPU driver settings. which is a real problem.
Old 21st February 2016, 19:21   #36320  |  Link
JarrettH

If I had to visually judge between jinc, sxbr75, and reconstruction soft...

Reconstruction soft: softest of three, least artifacts

Jinc AR: middle sharpness, most aliasing

sxbr75: sharpest, low aliasing, most artifacts from ringing

Madshi said reconstruction sharp isn't something to rely on and soft is more performance optimized.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling