Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 30th November 2015, 12:46   #34441  |  Link
xabregas

Hi,

So i have tested the new xysubfilter and new madvr and i was almost amazed when i saw that in 2.35 movies the subtitlees now can go to the black bars outside the movie window. But it was a matter of minutes until they went back to the front of the movie while playing. Anyone knows how to fix it, i.e making the subtitles stay in the black bars??
xabregas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 16:07   #34442  |  Link
adhara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
It is the deinterlacing likely causing the issue. madVR uses some of the GPU's muscle to deinterlace. You would have to reduce your settings. Start with using Ordered Dithering and then reducing chroma upscaling to something like Lanczos3 + AR.

You can create separate profiles for deinterlaced content (srcInterlaced) using madVR profile rules, which what I would recommend. Then, you could turn down your settings when deinterlacing is encountered, and turn them back up when it is not.

Also, I realize you are likely using image quadrupling at 720p -> 2160p. You could simplify things by disabling image quadrupling and using image doubling + image upscaling instead. I think I would still go with the separate profile for deinterlaced content, but that would probably provide immediate relief to your graphics card.

The moral of the story is your settings are likely too aggressive for your card.
Thanks,

Question, if I put "activate deinterlacing" off on MadVr, is the display reponsible for doing this stuff ?
I see no différences between on and off regarding this setting.

This will avoid me to add some new filters on my MadVR profiles and I could let my current setting like that...

When you says: "Also, I realize you are likely using image quadrupling at 720p -> 2160p. You could simplify things by disabling image quadrupling and using image doubling + image upscaling instead."

Can you please explain a little more ? How achieve this ?
Same quality ? (I have few 720p videos).

Regards.

PS: here my Jriver settings in terme of video:

Last edited by adhara; 30th November 2015 at 16:22.
adhara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 16:18   #34443  |  Link
foozoor

Hey madshi! It's been a while we did not see you here.
What do you prepare for this December?
I can't wait for the future amazing things.

Hey Warner306! It's so sad that DSPlayer is discontinued again.
Do you plan to create another guide with mpc-hc or PotPlayer somewhere soon?
foozoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 16:25   #34444  |  Link
MSL_DK

Quote:
Originally Posted by foozoor View Post
Hey madshi!
Like what?
MSL_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 17:22   #34445  |  Link
Aktan

Hi All, I have a problem that hopefully someone can help me fix. I'm thinking I'm just missing something silly in some settings. I'm using MPC-HC Version 1.7.9 opening an analog capture device. I use ffdshow tryouts to change the output colorspace (to avoid the forced load of MPC-HC internal Deinterlacer filter on 4:2:2 color spaces) and to deinterlace the source. I use madVR Version 0.89.9 as the renderer. The problem I have is if I use ffdshow to double the frame rate for deinterlacing, madVR seems to drop all those extra frames. I see this in stats and it only happens if I double the frame rate. This problem doesn't exist with other renderers like EVR as it is a lot smoother when the frame rate is doubled. I didn't use madVR's own deinterlacing becuase it wasn't deinterlacing well. I'm guessing this is probably due to the fact that the queues are stuck at 0-1 in stats. I'm also guessing this is why madVR keeps dropping frames. The combination of ffdshow deinterlacing and madVR renderer does not have a problem if I use a MPEG2 source instead of an analog capture source probably since the queues can be filled properly then. Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to fix this?
Aktan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 22:07   #34446  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by foozoor View Post
Hey madshi! It's been a while we did not see you here.

Hey Warner306! It's so sad that DSPlayer is discontinued again.
Do you plan to create another guide with mpc-hc or PotPlayer somewhere soon?
This guide is for MPC-HC and remains current with recent versions of MPC-HC, MPC-BE and madVR: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=209596.

This was the method I used previously to use madVR with Kodi.

FYI, the possibility of integrating madVR into Kodi main branch has at least been discussed. However, it could take one or two more versions for this to ever happen. But at least something productive came out of DSPlayer's demise.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015, 00:42   #34447  |  Link
Della

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
This guide is for MPC-HC and remains current with recent versions of MPC-HC, MPC-BE and madVR: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=209596.

This was the method I used previously to use madVR with Kodi.

FYI, the possibility of integrating madVR into Kodi main branch has at least been discussed. However, it could take one or two more versions for this to ever happen. But at least something productive came out of DSPlayer's demise.
I've often referred to this guide, VERY well done Warner.
Thanks for your effort
Della is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015, 01:34   #34448  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uoppi View Post
Hi, here goes first post! A little confused about madVR tags, so could someone please help and clarify which tags should be used in each of the following three cases:

1) Progressive segmented frame, i.e. 25 progressive frames divided/segmented into 50 fields. Meaning the video ought to be weaved into 25p. Does simply "deint=Off" do it? The auto deinterlacing seems to erroneously detect the material as interlaced, as per the container tag.

2) Progressive film stored on DVD as interlaced. Simply "deint=Off"?

3) Pal speedup removal of 25p content or film stored as interlaced on DVD (using Reclock). I'm guessing simply "frameRate=24" or "frameRate=23.976" (which one?)
1) No, deint=film is what you want. Film means progressive content and madVR can detect what it needs to do to get it.

2) No, again deint=film.

3) I am less sure about this one (NTSC here) but I believe you don't need anything, reclock should take care of it.
Old 1st December 2015, 22:24   #34449  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Della View Post
I've often referred to this guide, VERY well done Warner.
Thanks for your effort
Thanks, that document is still changing as my understanding of the software improves. A few fact checkers have helped, but most has come from personal experience alone.

Lately, I have been experimenting with settings. I find I am over-reporting the abilities of super-xbr and image doubling in general. super-xbr does ring a lot in certain situations, making it very distracting. Recommending settings is the most difficult part of writing a guide.

I have described image doubling as the ideal upscaler. But any upscaler that rings more than a simple linear upscaler is not perfect. It has its own pros and cons.

Are there any people here who use superxbr with SuperRes(3) or higher to scale from 1080p -> 2160p? Does this look good to you? At 540p -> 1080p, superxbr100 + AR with SuperRes(3) creates a very unnatural picture on my display.

Last edited by Warner306; 2nd December 2015 at 04:33.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 05:06   #34450  |  Link
gmail123

my englishe is poor..
madVR v0.89.14---madVR v0.89.17 can not pass through the DVD .ifo file, the AR video stream couldnt be read,the scale of the images is not proportional;if the .vob files are opened directly, it can be recongnised accordingly. this problem would only occur if PAL DVD,NTSC DVD are running and functioning normally。
gmail123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 10:03   #34451  |  Link
j5627429

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
Im about to start using madvr with Jriver. Im only needing it for up to 1080p (no higher scaling) and wonder what the best settings I should be using for 1080p. I have a Sony 4k projector yet I don't want to scale to 4k as Im about to sell the projector for a new JVC which is still only 1080p. Im only using the system for ripped BDs on MKV 1:1 copy and a number of video files. Im using the Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 with 4GB ram card.

Many thanks!
I'm curious, why do you want to give up on scaling to 4K? Your video card is plenty capable of doing it.

I have a JVC RS57 and send it 2160p input from the computer. Even though it is a 1080p projector, the e-shift adds real resolution (equivalent to about 3K, IMO).

The JVC projector's internal "MPC" sharpening tricks on 1080p input are quite inferior to the quality achievable with MadVR scaling to 4K. I'm actually moving in the opposite direction as you. Now that I've found out what magic madVR can do with scaling and sharpening of 1080p content, I want a true 4K projector to maximize the benefit. That's why I'm curious why you don't want to upscale.
j5627429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 10:48   #34452  |  Link
huhn

pixel alone doesn't make a good device.
the jump from 1080p to 2160p is such an unimportant change.

HDR will make the huge difference and that needs a lot of ironing...

how to get an HDR10 image on an that supports only Dolby vision for example?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 19:08   #34453  |  Link
TheElix

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElix View Post
What might be preventing Fullscreen Exclusive mode from activating on my computer? I have fresh-installed MPC-HC and madVR and it doesn't help.

Windows 10 x64
MPC-HC 1.7.10
madVR 0.89.17
Anyone?
TheElix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 21:27   #34454  |  Link
xabregas

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabregas View Post
Hi,

So i have tested the new xysubfilter and new madvr and i was almost amazed when i saw that in 2.35 movies the subtitlees now can go to the black bars outside the movie window. But it was a matter of minutes until they went back to the front of the movie while playing. Anyone knows how to fix it, i.e making the subtitles stay in the black bars??
anyone?

T.I.A.
xabregas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 23:44   #34455  |  Link
j5627429

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
pixel alone doesn't make a good device.
the jump from 1080p to 2160p is such an unimportant change.

HDR will make the huge difference and that needs a lot of ironing...

how to get an HDR10 image on an that supports only Dolby vision for example?
Well we are talking about projectors here, not direct-view.

With projectors, the screen size can be much bigger, so the resolution is more important (not to mention the fact that you can sit closer to the screen with 4K, regardless of screen size).

Additionally with projectors, from what I read at AVSforum, the consensus seems to be that HDR on projectors will be more of a gimmick than a real feature, since the limited brightness will simply not result in much of a dynamic range differential.
j5627429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 23:45   #34456  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Does anyone know if you can do a non linier stretch with madvr?
Can you stretch a 16:9 image to scope 2.35 screen. Where the centre is correct shape but the sides slightly stretched to fill the scope ratio?
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 01:26   #34457  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Can you stretch a 16:9 image to scope 2.35 screen. Where the centre is correct shape but the sides slightly stretched to fill the scope ratio?
This is not possible with madVR.
Old 3rd December 2015, 01:34   #34458  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
This is not possible with madVR.
Should be possible with a shader (provided MadVR allows you to set the output size in the first place, I thought something like that was added, but I haven't checked). It's somewhat complicated though, because you can't use MadVRs scaling algorithms to do the work for you, you'll have to make your own scaling algorithm to do it.
Shiandow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 01:42   #34459  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiandow View Post
Should be possible with a shader (provided MadVR allows you to set the output size in the first place, I thought something like that was added, but I haven't checked). It's somewhat complicated though, because you can't use MadVRs scaling algorithms to do the work for you, you'll have to make your own scaling algorithm to do it.
Ah yes, I meant there wasn't a non-linear stretch option in madVR, not that it was technically impossible while using madVR.
Old 3rd December 2015, 03:38   #34460  |  Link
Arm3nian

How do I get madVR and smooth motion to play nicely with gsync? If I have gsync set to fullscreen, then going fullscreen in madVR causes the render and present queue to drop to 0-3 from 24 and 16 and I get visual glitches, and the presentation glitches rises by 100/second. With gsync off everything works fine. Do I have to disable it everytime I want to watch a video? Thanks
Arm3nian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling