Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th January 2014, 23:41   #21261  |  Link
Plutotype

Why do ANY madVR/LAV/Reclock based guide needs ffdshow video, ffdshow audio and Autofrequency?
Old 5th January 2014, 23:53   #21262  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutotype View Post
Why do ANY madVR/LAV/Reclock based guide needs ffdshow video, ffdshow audio and Autofrequency?
Not sure. People seem to make this stuff more complicated than it needs to be. Having said that, I do use ffdshow for post-processing because MediaPortal's implementation of EVR is terrible at scaling and they haven't (and likely won't) add MadVR as a renderer.
Old 6th January 2014, 00:21   #21263  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Indeed. Guide is too much complicated. You only need madVR, LAV filters and MPC.

What we really need is a wiki for madVR (explaining each option).
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 00:28   #21264  |  Link
Razoola

Reclock is still a valid tool but I think that guide is too much for an average user. AutoFrequency is not needed and it can be argued the same for ffdshow.

All that said its still a very good effort.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 00:33   #21265  |  Link
jeremy33

The guide is made to obtain the best quality, like madVR. However several parts are optional (even madvr is optionnal) and I explain why each time.
The link I have provided is only for madvr, if readers do not want to read more they can

Here is an an overview of the result of my guide Before / After

It's just a link on the first post to help people too reach their goal, that's all. I think if they want to use madVR they want the best quality

Last edited by jeremy33; 6th January 2014 at 00:38.
jeremy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 00:45   #21266  |  Link
jeremy33

Quote:
ffdshow video is useful for postprocessing and avisynth
ffdshow audio is useful for audio mixing
Autofrequency was released before madvr auto frequency change feature and has others features

But I repeat it's optional
Old 6th January 2014, 00:48   #21267  |  Link
jeremy33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
Indeed. Guide is too much complicated. You only need madVR, LAV filters and MPC.
Thank you for your opinion. Of course you can use only madVR and MPC. You can even use MPCHC alone but a lot of people want to enhance the video quality. it's in french but look here how many people don't think like you http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/m...t29935240.html

Last edited by jeremy33; 6th January 2014 at 00:58.
Old 6th January 2014, 00:55   #21268  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy33 View Post
It is not because you think that it is the word of god
madshi asked for opinions, pirlouy is entitled to his.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 00:58   #21269  |  Link
jeremy33

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I'm not sure about this. There are several guides out there. I'd have to add links to other guides, too, unless everybody agreed that yours would be best. I'm not in a position to judge which guide is best. I don't have the time to compare.
I don't know if my guide is the best but I know I spend 4 years to improve it and my french readers like it a lot

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/m...t29935240.html

Anyway it's up to you

Last edited by jeremy33; 6th January 2014 at 01:07.
Old 6th January 2014, 01:01   #21270  |  Link
jeremy33

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
madshi asked for opinions, pirlouy is entitled to his.
You are right sorry, I changed it. Sorry pirouly I just defends my work

Last edited by jeremy33; 6th January 2014 at 01:05.
Old 6th January 2014, 01:07   #21271  |  Link
vivan
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Quote:
Because destroying video by denoising and sharpening is fun.
vivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 01:13   #21272  |  Link
jeremy33

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivan View Post
Some years ago, before I test it, I though you can't improve a video because you can't add more data or retrieve lost details.

But look at this sample the postprocessed image is far better than the original. It's from a 720p trailer.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/39304

Some algorithms adjusted properly can do wonders !

Last edited by jeremy33; 6th January 2014 at 01:16.
Old 6th January 2014, 01:17   #21273  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivan View Post
Exactly. Anyone with moderate knowledge of home cinemas knows to disable all of that crap on TVs they buy. Why would you want to replace that with all sorts of crap done by the PC? Chroma upscaling is necessary due to 4:2:0 being ubiquitous, and MadVR does it better than other renderers. Player is down to personal choice generally, then all you need is a splitter/codec pack that will handle everything with minimal issues, and that is LAV Filters.

Surely anything else is usually superfluous and/or damaging. Maybe it's just cos I always try to have the best possible sources, which look great to begin with, so I don't need anything else. SDTV is pretty much the only exception, and even then I avoid it like the plague.
Old 6th January 2014, 01:23   #21274  |  Link
jeremy33

Of course on 1080p source, postprocessing is almost useless, that's why it is very light on 1080p source on my guide.
This is the result on a 1080p trailer. As you can see it is very light and don't destroy anything

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/39301

But on a 720p video upscaled on 1080p TV it's really not useless

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/39304

Here you have the result for 1080p / 720p / 480p (DVD & DivX)

http://www.ezoden.com/684/tutorial-htpc/18

Last edited by jeremy33; 6th January 2014 at 01:26.
Old 6th January 2014, 01:26   #21275  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

FWIW, I like the idea of sharpening images as the last step of an upscaling operation (e.g. DVD -> FullHD, or FullHD -> UHD), because upscaling with large scaling factors without sharpening usually produces rather soft results. In this situation sharpening would almost be a part of the upscaling algorithm. Anyway, I don't want to get into the middle of a fight about the usefulness of sharpening, or the lack thereof.

For me the problem with linking to a guide is that doing so would mean that I fully endorse the contents of the guide. For that I'd have to fully read it, double check every recommended setting etc. Furthermore I'd have to constantly recheck to make sure the guide stays up-to-date, when I release new madVR builds with new features. And I don't really have the time for all that. So unless the madVR users here in this thread come to the conclusion that one specific guide is good and recommended over all other guides, I'm not comfortable with picking out one guide over the others and linking to it. I'm sorry...
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 01:27   #21276  |  Link
jeremy33

Guys before giving your opinion can you have a look at my guide please

Last edited by jeremy33; 6th January 2014 at 01:53.
Old 6th January 2014, 01:31   #21277  |  Link
jeremy33

Quote:
For me the problem with linking to a guide is that doing so would mean that I fully endorse the contents of the guide. For that I'd have to fully read it, double check every recommended setting etc. Furthermore I'd have to constantly recheck to make sure the guide stays up-to-date, when I release new madVR builds with new features. And I don't really have the time for all that. So unless the madVR users here in this thread come to the conclusion that one specific guide is good and recommended over all other guides, I'm not comfortable with picking out one guide over the others and linking to it. I'm sorry...
Ok madshi I understood but you can put a link and explicitly point out that it is not you who wrote it to clear you no ?
Like you do for eac3to http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=125966

Quote:
wiki:

Not written by me, not finished yet, but definitely worth a look:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Eac3to

Last edited by jeremy33; 6th January 2014 at 01:34.
Old 6th January 2014, 02:05   #21278  |  Link

Quote:
I'm not sure about this. There are several guides out there. I'd have to add links to other guides, too, unless everybody agreed that yours would be best. I'm not in a position to judge which guide is best. I don't have the time to compare.
I will save you the time - you should clearly be endorsing my guide.
My unbiased opinion is that it is obviously the best one.

(never mind that it's aimed at JRiver Media Center users, that there are already pending changes "tomorrow", that it's more like a manual than a guide, and that it will have to be updated again soon, since you insist on adding new features... )

Quote:
But look at this sample the postprocessed image is far better than the original. It's from a 720p trailer.
I disagree. That looks oversharpened to me, resulting in an artificial-looking image.
Quote:
This is the result on a 1080p trailer. As you can see it is very light and don't destroy anything
Aside from the fact that there are now smoothed-over patches in the image right next to obviously sharpened patches of the image?

The source is already bit-starved, and the post-processing makes it look worse than before - to my eyes at least.

Last edited by 6233638; 6th January 2014 at 02:11.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 02:09   #21279  |  Link
jeremy33

madshi maybe you can put a little list of guides on the first post ?
Old 6th January 2014, 02:23   #21280  |  Link
Soukyuu

I'm actually with madshi on this - let the users find the guides themselves, and judge for themselves. I think it's in our interest as well if madshi spends time working on madvr (or get a break) instead of having to maintain a list of guides.
Soukyuu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling