Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 15th September 2011, 15:57   #12921  |  Link
RobertM

Hi JDobbs,

Kudos on this new feature set in 39.01. BDRB just gets better and better.

Some initial observations; minor stuff (do you want this f/b here, in the "bugs" thread, or should this maybe in the "features" thread?).

1. When I manually blank an item there is sometimes no visual indication that anything has changed until I move off that item and can then see the new, grey background. Not a problem when there are sibling playlist items nearby, because they "grey-out" right away and I can see immediately that something has changed. Perhaps you could change the blanked item's "film" icon to a red X, which would be consistent with what you do when you de-select audio and subtitle items.

2. When I expand (double-click) a blanked video item the associated audio and subtitle content is not greyed out. Perhaps they should be greyed-out too, to reinforce the fact that this content will also also blanked.

3. I like seeing the "this clip is set to be blanked" subtitle when previewing a blanked item -- neat. But there is no indication in the preview window of which item is currently being viewed, and the hi-light in the BDRB window disappears when the preview window takes focus; I have to click on the BDRB window again to remind myself which clip is playing. Can BDRB retain its hi-light when it looses focus, or is there a Windows limitation here?

4. How about allowing resizing of the app window -- especially vertically. It would be nice to see more of the list of streams, now that we will be playing around with these items more often.

5. In your description of how the new features work you state:
Quote:
if you select "Full Backup" mode, and then enter edit mode and blank the feature -- you can create a disc that contains only the feature.
That last word seems wrong.

6. Entering "edit" mode by double-clicking the title felt a little non-intuitive at first. I wonder if there really needs to be an "edit mode" at all. Maybe you could allow stream blanking at all times, and just have a "Show blanked streams" checkbox at the top of the "Stream" tab. I dunno.

Anyway, thanks again, and keep up the good work.
RobertM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 17:09   #12922  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
1. When I manually blank an item there is sometimes no visual indication that anything has changed until I move off that item and can then see the new, grey background. Not a problem when there are sibling playlist items nearby, because they "grey-out" right away and I can see immediately that something has changed. Perhaps you could change the blanked item's "film" icon to a red X, which would be consistent with what you do when you de-select audio and subtitle items.
The red X makes perfect sense. I'm asking myself why I didn't think of that to make it consistent.
Quote:
2. When I expand (double-click) a blanked video item the associated audio and subtitle content is not greyed out. Perhaps they should be greyed-out too, to reinforce the fact that this content will also also blanked.
I'll look at this and see how hard it will be.
Quote:
3. I like seeing the "this clip is set to be blanked" subtitle when previewing a blanked item -- neat. But there is no indication in the preview window of which item is currently being viewed, and the hi-light in the BDRB window disappears when the preview window takes focus; I have to click on the BDRB window again to remind myself which clip is playing. Can BDRB retain its hi-light when it looses focus, or is there a Windows limitation here?
Good idea. That probably should have been added long ago.
Quote:
4. How about allowing resizing of the app window -- especially vertically. It would be nice to see more of the list of streams, now that we will be playing around with these items more often.
I'll look at that as well.
Quote:
5. In your description...
Yep, that statement was ass-backwards. I'll edit it.
Quote:
6. Entering "edit" mode by double-clicking the title felt a little non-intuitive at first. I wonder if there really needs to be an "edit mode" at all. Maybe you could allow stream blanking at all times, and just have a "Show blanked streams" checkbox at the top of the "Stream" tab. I dunno.
I don't really like the idea of leaving them on by default. It clutters the screen and makes things look too complicated for those who aren't into "advanced features". I agree that the double-click is a little goofy -- I need to come up with something else (either a small button or a menu item).

Last edited by jdobbs; 15th September 2011 at 17:12.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 19:13   #12923  |  Link
MrT.

Thank you for the update and new features.
I'm trying to blank some angles, there is 10 of them and are 500mb ish.
"Blank this item" is greyed out. I have enabled test.
I have output set to bd25, and full backup.
Is it because it is angle? and not possible?
MrT. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 19:43   #12924  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT. View Post
Thank you for the update and new features.
I'm trying to blank some angles, there is 10 of them and are 500mb ish.
"Blank this item" is greyed out. I have enabled test.
I have output set to bd25, and full backup.
Is it because it is angle? and not possible?
Are you in "Edit Mode"? You can blank an angle -- but unfortunately since it is typically linked to other playback items which have a common playlist, they must all be blanked. If you are in "Edit Mode" and it is still disabled, it may be connected to a menu and isn't really an "angle". Sometimes there are short video sequences that appear to be angles -- but they are actually transition videos for selection actions from a menu.

Last edited by jdobbs; 15th September 2011 at 19:47.
Old 15th September 2011, 19:46   #12925  |  Link
MrT.

how do I enter Edit mode? I looked around but could not figure it out.
Old 15th September 2011, 19:48   #12926  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
how do I enter Edit mode? I looked around but could not figure it out.
It's outlined in my post about "ENABLE_TEST". You double-click on the name of the selected disc at the top of the streams list. A small "Edit" box will appear when it is enabled.

You cannot enter "edit" when "Movie-Only" is selected.
Old 15th September 2011, 20:28   #12927  |  Link
MrT.

thanks jdobbs
when I blank an angle, it blanks all the other angles and movie.
Old 15th September 2011, 20:34   #12928  |  Link
Sharc

@jdobbs
Thanks for the Edit feature
I normally do my backups on BD5@720, movie only, or perhaps from now on possibly movie + menu. I notice that menus are not resized to 720. I use crf prediction mode, and some of the menu clips get a crf of say 35 and turn out to be blocky (reminds me on the mpeg2 days...). I wonder whether the blockyness would be less if menus would also be resized to 720 (i.e. same as feature)? Is there a good reason why menus are not getting resized?
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 21:28   #12929  |  Link
k-c-ksum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Just wanted to give you an update. I did BOURNE SUPREMACY and for me the secondary channels encoded correctly (23.976, progressive). Are you sure your source isn't corrupted or has been modified by any preprocessing?
done fast five and that comes out progressive

i'll get back to the bournes soon., dont know if makes any diffrence but fast five was avc were as Bourne was vc1
Old 15th September 2011, 21:29   #12930  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
thanks jdobbs
when I blank an angle, it blanks all the other angles and movie.
It's supposed to. Otherwise the authoring will fail.
Old 15th September 2011, 21:35   #12931  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
@jdobbs
Thanks for the Edit feature
I normally do my backups on BD5@720, movie only, or perhaps from now on possibly movie + menu. I notice that menus are not resized to 720. I use crf prediction mode, and some of the menu clips get a crf of say 35 and turn out to be blocky (reminds me on the mpeg2 days...). I wonder whether the blockyness would be less if menus would also be resized to 720 (i.e. same as feature)? Is there a good reason why menus are not getting resized?
You can't resize the menu. Otherwise the HDMV or BD-J menuing action/positioning will fail. They are generally done out-of-mux.
Old 15th September 2011, 21:37   #12932  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-c-ksum View Post
done fast five and that comes out progressive

i'll get back to the bournes soon., dont know if makes any diffrence but fast five was avc were as Bourne was vc1
I just looked at "Bourne Supremacy" and the one I did (that came out correctly) was also VC-1.
Old 15th September 2011, 21:40   #12933  |  Link
acki

Hi,

I'm running version v0.38.09 (beta), windows 7 home premium 64 bit, with everything "Ok" when running inspect. I created a batch for 6 blurays and I got exactly the same error message in every one of them:

Quote:
-----------------------
[18:43:04] BD Rebuilder v0.38.09 (beta)
- Source: QUE_ME_IMPORTA
- Input BD size: 35,32 GB
- Approximate total content: [02:08:07.846]
- Target BD size: 22,95 GB
- Windows Version: 6.1 [7601]
- Quality: Highest (Very Slow), Two Pass
- Audio Settings: AC3=1 DTS=1 HD=0 Kbs=448
[18:43:04] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [18:43:04] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00009]
- [18:43:27] Reencoding: VID_00009 (1 of 3)
- [18:43:27] Collecting video information
- Source Video: MPEG-4 (AVC), 1920x1080
- Rate/Length: 23,976fps, 2.416 frames
- Bitrate: 15.660 Kbs
- [18:43:27] Reencoding: VID_00009, Pass 1 of 2
- [18:44:52] Reencoding: VID_00009, Pass 2 of 2
- [18:50:56] Video Encode complete
- [18:50:56] Reencoding audio tracks (if req'd)
- ERROR in attempt to reencode audio (AFTEN) [AUD_00009_4352.AVS]
[18:50:57] - Failed to reencode audio, aborted
Contents of AUD_00009_4352.AVS
Code:
#Created by BD Rebuilder - v0.38.09 (beta)
LoadPlugin("C:\BD-RBV03809\BD_Rebuilder\tools\nicaudio.dll")
audio=NicAC3Source("00009.track_4352.ac3").Amplify(1.2)
ConvertAudioTo16bit(ResampleAudio(audio, 48000))

It seems that Aften doesn't like the "DTS-HD XLL" reported tracks. Any clue ?

And the million dollar question... is there an easy way to take advantage of the already compressed video and not have to re-compress again? I guess that playing with tsmuxer and bdedit I could get somewhere... but if there is an easier way, I'd love to hear.

Thanks.

Last edited by acki; 16th September 2011 at 00:13.
acki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 21:48   #12934  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
You can't resize the menu. Otherwise the HDMV or BD-J menuing action/positioning will fail. They are generally done out-of-mux.
I see, thank you.
Anyway, 2-pass encoding solved the problem as these critical menu files got more bitrate allocated compared to the crf prediction mode.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 23:02   #12935  |  Link
xterminater

worked great on a bd50 to bd9 backup non java bluray! jdobbs, if there is an asterik (*) beside the stream number, ie.. IVD_00388* does that mean those are dependent of another playlist? Is it ok to blank these out, or will it mess with the bluray structure? The reason why I want to blank them is for unecessary ads and logos of a bluray.
xterminater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 23:03   #12936  |  Link
MrT.

Quote:
It's supposed to. Otherwise the authoring will fail.
I don't understand. When I block one thing, the entire Blu-ray is grayed out and blocked, leaving nothing to shrink.
Old 15th September 2011, 23:21   #12937  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I don't understand. When I block one thing, the entire Blu-ray is grayed out and blocked, leaving nothing to shrink.
It's complicated. The way a disc plays back anything is determined by playlists. A playlist can consist of multiple parts (M2TS/CLPI combinations). In addition, an M2TS/CLPI combination might be a part of more than one playlist. You can't just blank one part of a playlist, you have to do it as a whole -- if you didn't you might get a movie or extra that has a hole right in the middle of it.

So when you decide to blank something -- the decision has to ripple through every sibling in that playlist, and any other linked playlists.

In other words, if you decide to blank an angle for a main feature -- you are also deciding to blank the entire main feature, and therefore angles aren't really "ripe" for blanking.

Last edited by jdobbs; 15th September 2011 at 23:23.
Old 15th September 2011, 23:27   #12938  |  Link
MrT.

ok, thank you for the explanation.

Would "quicker encode for extras" be good to enable in this case? The main feature film is 33 GB and all the extras, angle parts are around 500mb. Would BD-RB see those 500mb parts as extras? and does this do anything to aid the main features video quality?
Old 15th September 2011, 23:32   #12939  |  Link
xterminater

Jdobbs, many bluray now comes out with dvd copy and digital copy on the bluray itself, including several that I own. Is there a feature in bd-rb that let us remove those unecessary video files to save bitrate?
xterminater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 00:32   #12940  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
ok, thank you for the explanation.

Would "quicker encode for extras" be good to enable in this case? The main feature film is 33 GB and all the extras, angle parts are around 500mb. Would BD-RB see those 500mb parts as extras? and does this do anything to aid the main features video quality?
Now that I think about it, though, you could redirect the alternate angles so they point to the primary angle. But that'd be a project for another day.

500MB isn't going to get you much. In a case like that you're probably better to do a just full backup and possibly blank any annoying trailors, warnings or other items that happen automatically at startup.

Last edited by jdobbs; 16th September 2011 at 00:35.