Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th June 2007, 05:26   #1  |  Link
homerpez

DTS-HD MASTER to AC3... how?

I am having a devil of a time with this, right from step 1 (or 2, depending on how it's read).

I have figured out how to demux a DTS-HD "Master" audio stream from a Blu-ray disc, now the question is "then what?"

I have read here that you need to "extract the DTS core" from the Master stream, and a program called "dtscore.exe" can do it.

Here's where I'm stuck. I can't find dtscore.exe anywhere. I even Google it, and the only pages that come up on the entire internet are mentions on this forum that refer to it, but not how to actually get this program.

Beyond that, am I to understand that once the "DTS core" is extracted, I can load this into something like Behappy, and convert from there?

I apologize for being so ignorant, but Blu-ray is somewhat new to me, plus I'm at the impasse of not being able to find dtscore.exe... thanks for any help!!!

EDIT: I have made the tiniest bit of headway since I posted this... I used tranzcode to get 6 individual wave files from the DTS-HD stream. However, whenever I try to merge them into a 6 channel WAV, or I try to encode them, it doesn't work... the resulting files always crash each program on load. If someone could explain how they are sucessfully encoding DTS-HD to 5.1 AC3 I would realy greatly appreciate it....

Last edited by homerpez; 7th June 2007 at 11:02.
homerpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 11:39   #2  |  Link
ACrowley

you can decode/extract the DTS HD Stream directly with Tranzcode 0.4 to wave

No need to use dtscore first.
Tranzcode decodes the dtscore 1536kbps 5.1 to 6 mono waves.

The use a AC3 encoder to encode it to AC3
ACrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 16:42   #3  |  Link
homerpez

Thanks for the reply...

I did manage to figure that out, and used Wavwizard to try and merge those 6 files into one FL/FR/C/LFE/SL/SR WAV... but now I'm stuck on that encoding step (any merged WAV or FLAC I make seems to crash all encoding programs/players instantly). This is using both Audacity as well as Wavwizard.

Thread for that is here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...32#post1011432

Is there a program that will let me import just the 6 WAV files into it, and encode to AC3 directly? So far I haven't found one... I think since I can open the 6 mono WAVS, I think I'm completely set once I do.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by homerpez; 7th June 2007 at 16:50.
homerpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 10:40   #4  |  Link
ACrowley

Prof. DolbyDigital Encoders
like Softencode/Sonic/Sony Vegas-Soundforge/Steinberg Nuendo are using 6 mono waves for import

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...ighlight=Vegas

Last edited by ACrowley; 8th June 2007 at 10:43.
Old 9th June 2007, 19:09   #5  |  Link
Austin Forgotten

Are you sure Tranzcode decoded DTS-HD? This is the new lossless dts format if I'm correct. I don't think it can decode this. The stream you have must be a regular dts stream. It would be a big surprise to me if it decode DTS-HD! I don't have any of the new dts format files to test with, nor can I check for other AMODE's below AMODE 9 (i.e. dts 1.0, 2.0, 3.0)

Sorry about the old old tranzbeta with all its bugz (damn multichannel wav header was bad - must have been high when I wrote that). Still working on it, fixed a trillion buz (added lots of things including encoding using 3rd party encoders - batch encoding via wild card characters '*' and '?'). Like a broken record... new ver not ready yet.. arhh..

-austin forgiveme
Austin Forgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 08:39   #6  |  Link
ACrowley

Tranzcode decodes not the DTS HD , it decodes only the included DTScore ,which is a standard 1536kbps 5.1 DTS

This DTS 1536kbps 5.1 "Core" ,to keep compatibility, is encoded in all DTSHD Tracks

So you need no dtscore.exe before you convert your waves

Theres no Method to decode the untouched DTS HD to wave at the moment

Last edited by ACrowley; 11th June 2007 at 07:29.
Old 10th June 2007, 11:25   #7  |  Link
xkodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerpez View Post
Here's where I'm stuck. I can't find dtscore.exe anywhere. I even Google it, and the only pages that come up on the entire internet are mentions on this forum that refer to it, but not how to actually get this program.
info about dtscore.exe and working download link:

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...&postcount=900

Last edited by xkodi; 10th June 2007 at 11:29.
xkodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 20:26   #8  |  Link
Austin Forgotten

@ ACrowley

Alright, I understand now. I was really surprised at 1st when I read the post, not reading it carefully - my bad.

So according to Orbitlee (http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...&postcount=900) dtscore is the regular dts stream as we knew before (well ok the core, not the extensions), which is demuxed together with the DTS-HD stream via evodemux/xport tools, and he also wrote a tool 'dtscore.exe' which separates or extracts the "core " (standard 1536kbps 5.1 DTS) from the new dts-hd which I've read is not necessarily lossless (only dts-hd master)

-AF
Austin Forgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 23:53   #9  |  Link
Arite

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkodi View Post
info about dtscore.exe and working download link:

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...&postcount=900
Thanks for that information (and program) - I was did not know that DTS-HD MA had a normal DTS track inside it.

Technically consumer DTS should be referred to as "DTS Coherent Acoustics" as original DTS is used for cinema surround sound. libdca (and programs based on it) only decode the "Core" section. This means that, for example, a DTS-ES (both 6.1 Dicrete and "5.1" Matrixed) audio track will only have the core section decoded - the "ES Extensions" are not recognised and so not processed.

So DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HRA, and in fact all other consumer DTS audio formats are similar to DTS-ES in that they all contain the basic "Core" DTS Coherent Acoustics audio section, and then have there respective "Extensions" which are recognised by supported players and devices.

Last edited by Arite; 14th June 2007 at 02:00. Reason: Spelling
Arite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2007, 03:54   #10  |  Link
dade49

For DTS-HD, extract your DTS file from your m2ts stream with TSremux (Right click on the DTS-HD and extract elementary). Name it something.dts. Then use Tranzcode 0.4 to decompress it into a multi-channel wav (Tranzcode.exe infile.dts outfile /mch). Then use Aften to compile it into an AC3 stream.
dade49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2007, 17:10   #11  |  Link
a1677c

Hi would there be any other utility to do this besdies Aften? I reading the help area http://aften.sourceforge.net/buildhelp.html and it seems to complicated for me. If there would be another program/utility to compile to an AC3 stream please let me know. I did decrompress using Tranzcode which was pretty straightforward.

Thanks,
WF
a1677c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2007, 23:53   #12  |  Link
Arite

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1677c View Post
Hi would there be any other utility to do this besdies Aften? I reading the help area http://aften.sourceforge.net/buildhelp.html and it seems to complicated for me. If there would be another program/utility to compile to an AC3 stream please let me know. I did decrompress using Tranzcode which was pretty straightforward.

Thanks,
WF
That is the help for compiling from source. If you don't want to compile from source, and are running Windows, then just get a Win32 compile from here.

Then just extract the *.exe, and open up Command Prompt. The easiest way is to drag and drop aften.exe into the CLI window, or navigate to the directory with aften.exe, and just use:

For help:
Code:
aften -h
And the usage is:
Code:
usage: aften [options] <input.wav> <output.ac3>
Alternatively, here is a link to a Win32 Aften GUI:
http://www.thefrontend.net/EncWAVtoAC3/index.html

EDIT: GUI uses Aften 0.06 - Aften 0.07 is the latest.

Cheers, Arite.

Last edited by Arite; 25th June 2007 at 00:03.
Arite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 14:39   #13  |  Link
a1677c

Arite thanks for this info. I think I have gotten it figured out! Now here is a stupid question once I get the AC3 compiled how do I combine it back into the m2ts file?

Thank You In Advance,
WF
a1677c is offline   Reply With Quote