Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 22nd November 2007, 11:50   #1  |  Link
mba03jw

AVI to DVD with DVD2SVCD problem, please help

Newbie problem, hope someone can help. I tried to follow the doom9 guide on converting an AVI to DVD with DVD2SVCD. I left the process running overnight but it must have failed because the ISO image it was supposed to create had not been created. Instead there is a file in the movie folder called 'Encoded_Video_TMPGEnc_NTSC' that is 4.3Gb, ends .mpv and G-Spot says is an MPEG. I checked the log and it seems to have failed towards the end:

Executing DVDAuthor. Commandline:
"C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\DVDAuthor\dvdauthor.exe" -x "C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\Movie\DVDAuthor.xml"
DVDAuthor failed for unknown reasons!
For details open: "C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\Movie\DVDAuthor_log.txt"

The DVDAuthor log says:

INFO: Locale=C
INFO: Converting filenames to US-ASCII
INFO: dvdauthor creating VTS
STAT: Picking VTS 01

STAT: Processing C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\Movie\MPlex_Muxed_File00.mpg...
ERR: Error opening C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\Movie\MPlex_Muxed_File00.mpg: No such file or directory

I should mention, I just read the readme file of DVD2SVCD and it said you should 'Install ASPI drivers that fit your system' which is something I have not done - could this be the cause of the problem? Is there a way I can finish off where the process failed without having to run the whole thing again? Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by mba03jw; 22nd November 2007 at 14:14.
mba03jw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 14:05   #2  |  Link
manolito

Hi mba03jw and welcome to the forum!

First of all I believe that you posted in the wrong thread. There is another thread specifically for DVD2SVCD. Can a mod please move this post?

Your log indicates that muxing (the step after encoding) went wrong or did not take place at all. Mplex.exe is the default muxer for DVD2SVCD, so please locate the Mplex log file and post it here.

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 14:11   #3  |  Link
mba03jw

My appologies for posting in wrong place. Here is the log file for MPlex:

INFO: [???] mplex version 2.0.0 (dvd2svcd modified) (2.2.3 $Date: 2004/01/13 20:45:26 $)
INFO: [???] File C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\Movie\Encoded_Video_TMPGEnc_NTSC.mpv looks like an MPEG Video stream.
**ERROR: [???] File unrecogniseable!
**ERROR: [???] Unrecogniseable file(s)... exiting.
Old 22nd November 2007, 21:14   #4  |  Link
manolito

Yeah, we are getting closer...
Mplex does not recognize the audio stream, so no muxing takes place at all.

Now I can only speculate about the reason for this error because you did not provide enough information. What is the format of the audio stream of your source AVI? Did you check the "Do not convert audio" checkbox in DVD2SVCD?

The most common error probably is when a user checks "Do not convert audio" when the source audio format is not DVD compliant (e.g. MP3 audio). For AVI2DVD conversions you should only use this option if you are absolutely sure that your source audio is compliant.

Another possibility is that the audio extraction process went wrong. There is a nice sticky by Nick which covers the most common AVI2DVD problems. See here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=100328

Cheers
manolito
Old 22nd November 2007, 22:40   #5  |  Link
mba03jw

I think you might be correct because the 'Do not convert audio' box seems to be checked by default and the audio on my AVI file is mp3. Thanks for the link, I'll use Vdubmod as it suggests and I guess I'll have to run the conversion again overnight -AAAAHHHH, I hate doing AVI to DVD and i hate my noisy PC. Thanks for the help
Old 22nd November 2007, 22:58   #6  |  Link
manolito

No need to use VDubMod here. Just uncheck the "Do not convert audio" checkbox and let DVD2SVCD convert your MP3 audio to MP2 using BeSweet. Much faster...

Cheers
manolito
Old 23rd November 2007, 09:58   #7  |  Link
mba03jw

Just to let you know everything worked great. Thanks again for the help.
Old 6th April 2008, 09:45   #8  |  Link
ilikasip

I need a little help also please. (63 yr. old novice)
I have some avi's that I wished to convert to a DVD, used a program allowing me to do this, result three dvd's all okay except the completed job included a super imposed message (text) in centre of screen viewed throughout each of the dvd's (software used). Now, having remaining avi's on PC, and I wish to also make them a dvd, I used another program to do the job, bingo, did the job and I am very happy with the result (no super imposed message) used the newer program and imagburn to complete the task. At this point, is where I need your help..... Can I ..... with the first three dvd's I made that include the unwanted super imposed message, recopy the now existing dvd's using the build sequence in Imagburn to remove, or not include the unwanted message, if the answer is in the affirmative, can you point me in the right direction in advising how I go about selecting or do not include file(s) X,y or z.
I am more than happy to read further if, threads are available, please point me there and I would be most grateful. I have in the past got my answers reading and searching, but with this one I do need a little help.
Many thanks in advance if anybody can assist, cheers for now, ilikasip.
ilikasip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 14:16   #9  |  Link
Nick
One click is all it takes

Hi. This doesn't seem to be related to the problem the rest of this thread details, so you'd probably be better starting as new thread.

However, two points I would make are as follows:

Firstly it is unlikely your aim is achievable, I'm afraid, or if it is it is likiley to involve expert knowledge of the processes involved.

Secondly, the fact that you made the DVD's from AVI's you no longer have access to raises questions with respect to rule #6.

Please re-read the rules and, if you are sure this is an issue we can help with you, please start a new thread. Details of the software you actually used to create the DVD's would be very helpful.

Regards
Nick
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote