Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th November 2017, 10:10   #47061  |  Link
Gopa

native resolution is best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
No! Using anything but the native resolution is a very bad idea. Nothing in madVR is worth running a non-native resolution and the results would not be similar at all.

Turning up NGU quality or high for reduce compression artifacts are very minor improvements compared to the terrible quality from running the wrong resolution. Resolution is absolutely the last thing you would ever touch to get playback working. Switch to EVR before dropping the resolution.
You are correct. even with lower settings, native resolution, has better image. I am still learning. Thank you very much!
Gopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2017, 12:45   #47062  |  Link
Ed Riffles

Changing the power settings doesn't do anything at all

My card is not down clocking itself when watching videos, it stays at 1150 mhz

Last edited by Ed Riffles; 6th November 2017 at 14:00.
Ed Riffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2017, 13:04   #47063  |  Link
VAMET
UTAVATU

Dear Friends

My system, Windows 10 and i5 4690K with GTX 1070.

I have a strange issue with madVR. I have enabled 10bit (it's only happend with 10bit enabled) in Settings and in the NVIDIA Control Panel. I watch movies with Fullscreen Exclusive mode enabled. So after few minutes (it's mostly random) my screen goes black during playback, but I still hear audio and the movie continues, after 1-2 seconds my screen backs to normal and I can watch my movie. It only happens once per movie. I have tried lots of settings and it always happens.

madVR 0.9.29 (the same problem was in earlier versions too), LAV Filters and MPC-HC the latest ones. File .mkv HEVC 10bit 3840x2160 HDR, but it happens with any .mkv file.

Maybe someone had such problem and know how to resolve it?

I would be glad for any help, clue and solution.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sincerely

ALLEGRO BLOG FACEBOOK

Last edited by VAMET; 6th November 2017 at 13:08.
VAMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2017, 14:06   #47064  |  Link
Cinemancave

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAMET View Post
...I have a strange issue with madVR. I have enabled 10bit (it's only happend with 10bit enabled) in Settings and in the NVIDIA Control Panel. I watch movies with Fullscreen Exclusive mode enabled. So after few minutes (it's mostly random) my screen goes black during playback, but I still hear audio and the movie continues, after 1-2 seconds my screen backs to normal and I can watch my movie....
This same exact problem happened to me last night also, but it doesn't occur on every film, it seems much more random. I was thinking it's an HDMI sync issue, but since I have quality cables and seeing your post I'm not so sure anymore.
Cinemancave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2017, 14:47   #47065  |  Link
VAMET
UTAVATU

Dear Cinemancave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemancave View Post
This same exact problem happened to me last night also, but it doesn't occur on every film, it seems much more random. I was thinking it's an HDMI sync issue, but since I have quality cables and seeing your post I'm not so sure anymore.
Nope, I don't think it is HDMI related issue. I have also good quality cables and device. And it's only happen, when 10bit is set in madVR and 12bit in NVIDIA Control Panel (there is no 10bit option there).

Maybe there is some options in madVR there should be enabled and I have them disabled, or disabled and I have them enabled. I don't know, why this black screen occurs for 1-2 seconds and then everything is OK. Yep, you are right, that sometimes it doesn't happen, not every movie, but most of them and it is random, but rather at the first minutes of movies.

If you will find a solution, please share it here. Maybe someone had such problem? Anybody?

Do you also have this problem, when 10bit in madVR and 12bit NVIDIA Control Panel is set? May you also make screenshot of every option set in Settings of madVR, I will compare to mine and maybe we will solve it once for all.

Sincerely

ALLEGRO BLOG FACEBOOK

Last edited by VAMET; 6th November 2017 at 14:49.
Old 6th November 2017, 20:12   #47066  |  Link
Anima123

RCA medium plus NGU standard or sharp produces very pleasant visual effect when playing good 720p materials, which is amazing.

I used to avoid NGU standard or sharp, due to the unnatural overly sharped border effect.
Anima123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2017, 23:37   #47067  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Riffles View Post
My card is not down clocking itself when watching videos, it stays at 1150 mhz
If it has performance problems in Prefer High Performance I think it will still have problems in Adaptive. Adaptive is just better for when you don't really need high clocks, but it's not the case here as your GPU seems to be maxed out.

Did you try simply lowering settings to see if it changes anything? For example, disable quadrupling just to see what the rendering times are.
I know it's counterintuitive, but in my experience you can have empty rendering queue and dropped frames even if the reported rendering times are not close to the frame time, if your GPU is at 100% load and max boost.
Old 7th November 2017, 00:51   #47068  |  Link
Ed Riffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
If it has performance problems in Prefer High Performance I think it will still have problems in Adaptive. Adaptive is just better for when you don't really need high clocks, but it's not the case here as your GPU seems to be maxed out.

Did you try simply lowering settings to see if it changes anything? For example, disable quadrupling just to see what the rendering times are.
I know it's counterintuitive, but in my experience you can have empty rendering queue and dropped frames even if the reported rendering times are not close to the frame time, if your GPU is at 100% load and max boost.
Yeah i did try this. The issue is that it is completely fine with only one monitor up and i get my queues at 7-8 in single monitor
Old 7th November 2017, 01:17   #47069  |  Link
huhn

multi screen is hit and miss on windows 10 maybe the fall update is another miss.

do both screen have the same resolution and most important refresh rate.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2017, 01:54   #47070  |  Link
Ed Riffles

My main monitor is a 4k display running at 60 hz and then i have my second monitor running at 1440x2560p at 60 hz.
Old 7th November 2017, 02:57   #47071  |  Link
jkauff

I'm watching one of my noisiest Blu-ray movies, Red River. Render times got too high using both RCA and RRN at 3, and I didn't see very much effect anyway (rig is GTX 1080 driving a 4K monitor), so I disabled RCA and upped RRN to 6. The effect is amazing, almost all the noise is gone and the picture looks great (maybe a slight loss in detail, haven't played around with that yet).

Excellent work, madshi! It's not quite up to NLMeans denoising, but it's in real time! madVR just gets better and better. Congratulations on yet another great algorithm.

EDIT: Applying Crispen Edges and Enhance Detail while doubling restored the detail.

Last edited by jkauff; 7th November 2017 at 12:57.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2017, 10:48   #47072  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
Dear Cinemancave

Nope, I don't think it is HDMI related issue. I have also good quality cables and device. And it's only happen, when 10bit is set in madVR and 12bit in NVIDIA Control Panel (there is no 10bit option there).

Maybe there is some options in madVR there should be enabled and I have them disabled, or disabled and I have them enabled. I don't know, why this black screen occurs for 1-2 seconds and then everything is OK. Yep, you are right, that sometimes it doesn't happen, not every movie, but most of them and it is random, but rather at the first minutes of movies.

If you will find a solution, please share it here. Maybe someone had such problem? Anybody?

Do you also have this problem, when 10bit in madVR and 12bit NVIDIA Control Panel is set? May you also make screenshot of every option set in Settings of madVR, I will compare to mine and maybe we will solve it once for all.

Sincerely
I think I can say with 95% certainty that what you are experiancing is related to the quality of the HDMI cable you are using. 10bit puts more bandwidth over the cable and 12bit will be even more, espicially if its a long length. I use 12bit in control panel and 10bit in madVR and only had a problem like that until I replaced the cable with a new one.

Last edited by Razoola; 7th November 2017 at 10:52.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2017, 10:51   #47073  |  Link
VAMET
UTAVATU

Dear Razoola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
I think I can say with 95% certainty that what you are experiancing is related to the quality of the HDMI cable you are using. 10bit puts more bandwidth over the cable and 12bit will be even more, espicially if its a long length.
If it was related with quality of HDMI cable, but it is not, the problem will be not only for 1-2 seconds (black screen) of whole movie.

Sincerely

ALLEGRO BLOG FACEBOOK
Old 7th November 2017, 11:07   #47074  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
Dear Razoola

If it was related with quality of HDMI cable, but it is not, the problem will be not only for 1-2 seconds (black screen) of whole movie.

Sincerely
I had the same problem with the screen going blank for a couple of seconds and then coming back when I first started using 12bit. Like I said though, it was related to the cable, I was using a high quality one but it was not enough and so the connection would drop out and come back (I guess due to data corruption).

My problem was a little worse given my TV is far away and I needed a long cable. Remember UHD with HDR (10bit) is not expected to work with a real long cables, it starts getting flaky at 7m plus.

Got a new cable and everything is now fine, I'm using this at a 6M length, not sure it can handle UHD at 60fps but I have no issues with 24fps movies at 12 bit with Dolby Atmos 7.1 HD audio...

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Razoola; 7th November 2017 at 11:18.
Old 7th November 2017, 11:14   #47075  |  Link
VAMET
UTAVATU

Dear Razoola

Quote:
I had the same problem with the screen going blank for a couple of seconds and then coming back when I first started using 12bit. Like I said though, it was related to the cable, I was using a high quality one but it was not enough and so the connection would drop out and come back.

My problem was a little worse given my TV is far away and I needed a long cable. Remember UHD with HDR (10bit) is not expected to work with a real long cable gets flaky at 7m plus.

Got a new cable and everything is now fine, I'm using this at a 6M length, not sure it can handle UHD at 60fps but I have no issues with 24FPS movies with Dolby Atmos...

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Like I said before it is not cable related. I have checked it with my best HDMI cable for UHD transfers and it's 1.0m long, I have checked UHD 60FPS Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk and problem still exist. I have also checked with 5 more HDMI cables the longest is 15.0m. If it is 1.0m or 15.0m the problem is still there.

Sincerely

ALLEGRO BLOG FACEBOOK
Old 7th November 2017, 12:05   #47076  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
Dear Razoola

Like I said before it is not cable related. I have checked it with my best HDMI cable for UHD transfers and it's 1.0m long, I have checked UHD 60FPS Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk and problem still exist. I have also checked with 5 more HDMI cables the longest is 15.0m. If it is 1.0m or 15.0m the problem is still there.

Sincerely
I'll let you get on with it then, there is no way you'll get any picture at UHD 60fps through a 15m cable though, thats well out of spec the last I checked.

Only other thing I can think is the picture is dropping as madVR goes from windowed to exclusive mode but really it should not.
Old 7th November 2017, 12:30   #47077  |  Link
VAMET
UTAVATU

Dear Razoola

Quote:
I'll let you get on with it then, there is no way you'll get any picture at UHD 60fps through a 15m cable though, thats well out of spec the last I checked.

Only other thing I can think is the picture is dropping as madVR goes from windowed to exclusive mode but really it should not.
I don't know, why you deny, that I am not able to watch Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, which is 3840x2160@60 with HDR, 10bit, BT.2020, Dolby Atmos 7.1. I assure you, that this movie works without any problems the same with 1.0m and 15.0m long HDMI cable.

The only problem is 1-2 seconds black screen, which is random, it shows even on AVC 1920x1080 without HDR, 10bit, but 10bit is enabled in madVR and 12bit in NVIDIA Control Panel.

As for Fullscreen Exclusive I have disabled 3 seconds delay automatic launch option, so it works from start directly, when I click to play the movie.

Sincerely

ALLEGRO BLOG FACEBOOK

Last edited by VAMET; 7th November 2017 at 12:33.
Old 7th November 2017, 16:41   #47078  |  Link
jeryll

Quote:
The only problem is 1-2 seconds black screen, which is random, it shows even on AVC 1920x1080 without HDR, 10bit, but 10bit is enabled in madVR and 12bit in NVIDIA Control Panel.
I can confirm that the problem with black screen exist (I was almost sure that it is somehow related to my old HD 7950), but now I am not so sure seeing it doing the same behavior on modern hardware ...
I am on win 8.1 with latest AMD crimson drivers and yes mostly it is when I watch something in 2160p 10bit (HEVC or AVC), not so sure about 8 bit though...
jeryll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2017, 19:17   #47079  |  Link
Razoola

I'm going to say if its not the cable the next most likley thing is some kind of grounding issue around the house. For example, in my home (because its old) turning off the FL light in the bathroom can cause the audio to drop out but not the picture. On my old TV it would cause the picture and audio to drop for a couple of seconds. So if your cases if you know its not something else your turning off or on around the house then it might be something like the fridge or freezer. Try plugging your PC and TV into a different socket and see if it helps.
Old 7th November 2017, 21:50   #47080  |  Link
njfoses

Quote:
Dear Friends

My system, Windows 10 and i5 4690K with GTX 1070.

I have a strange issue with madVR. I have enabled 10bit (it's only happend with 10bit enabled) in Settings and in the NVIDIA Control Panel. I watch movies with Fullscreen Exclusive mode enabled. So after few minutes (it's mostly random) my screen goes black during playback, but I still hear audio and the movie continues, after 1-2 seconds my screen backs to normal and I can watch my movie. It only happens once per movie. I have tried lots of settings and it always happens.

madVR 0.9.29 (the same problem was in earlier versions too), LAV Filters and MPC-HC the latest ones. File .mkv HEVC 10bit 3840x2160 HDR, but it happens with any .mkv file.

Maybe someone had such problem and know how to resolve it?

I would be glad for any help, clue and solution.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sincerely
Are you on 385.xx Nvidia drivers? All the newer versions are buggy as hell
njfoses is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling