Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th April 2014, 15:04   #25681  |  Link
michkrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Here's a new test build:

http://madshi.net/madVRwindowedTest.rar

Give it a try and let me know how it works for you!
On a quick test, smooth motion seems to like this new windowed mode better than the old one on my Intel HD4000. I used to get some kind of judder in windowed (with SM), that's gone with the new mode. Render times seem lower, but it's within measurement error (like 4,30ms down to 4,15ms).
Overall it works as good or better than the old mode for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
Also, is something wrong with the official madVR.zip on the first post?
Its now a bad zip, I can't revert back to 87.9.
Just checked and it works correctly. There were reports of some false-positives with antivirus software, so be sure to check that.
michkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 15:53   #25682  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSunrise View Post
Must be a local problem then, because the 750Ti is widely available. And overpriced is like saying "better", it's all relative. If you like very low power consumption and good performance, there's not much else on the market right now that can rival it out of the box.
Oh, good point. I read some lenghty review stating it would only be available by this summer or a bit later.

So nobody took the plunge yet?

Overpriced as in "it will lose 50% of its value within 6 months so you're essentially paying a premium for being an early adopter".

Last edited by leeperry; 5th April 2014 at 17:40.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 16:21   #25683  |  Link
James Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by michkrol View Post
Just checked and it works correctly. There were reports of some false-positives with antivirus software, so be sure to check that.
Nope, its still a corrupt zip file.
But here everything is fine.

madshi can you please check it?
Old 5th April 2014, 16:30   #25684  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I downloaded the zip just now and it unpacks perfectly. Something must be screwy on your end.
Old 5th April 2014, 16:51   #25685  |  Link
John Carmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Is there any way you could recompile it with a less exotic VC++ runtime please? Or possibly add the required DLL's to the redist? I get a SideBySide error message even though I've got the VC++ 2005/2010/2012/2013 runtime libraries installed
I had it too. Here's what you must download. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=26347
John Carmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 17:05   #25686  |  Link
jdl

Quote:
Originally Posted by janderclander14 View Post
I'm currently using an anamorphic lens in my projection setup so I need to perform a vertical stretch of the picture (2.35 to 16:9) in order to maintain the aspect ratio after the horizontal stretch of 1.33x performed by the lens. I'm using the latest MadVR and MPC-HC as player.

Currently, I'm doing the vertical stretch (2.35 to 16:9) by using the MPC-HC option "video-frame->override aspect ratio->16:9", which correctly modifies the aspect ratio. The question is: with this option is MadVR doing the vertical stretch or it is the media player which stretches the picture a priori? If the latter was the case, is there any option to force MadVR to do the stretch in order to benefit from the high quality upscaling?
Definitely MadVR doing the work because I notice the rendering times increase for me when I'm playing 2.35:1 content vs 1.78/1.85:1 where I don't do that stretch.

I use the Pan&Scan>Scale to 16x9 to do the vertical stretch, however. Not sure there's any difference in the end result.
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 17:11   #25687  |  Link
fairchild

New windowed test works fine here. I still need to use FSE though, since sometimes the desktop composition stays stuck in a previous Hz which causes massive frame drops. Only FSE picks up the correct refresh rate of the monitor. Not sure why/how this bug happens or if there is a workaround. example: play a file that has a 23.976 frame rate, which causes the composition rate to be 23.976Hz, which then causes frame drops since the display device is actually at 60hz. So the desktop composition would need to be 60hz to prevent frame drops when playing a 23.976 fps file on the 60hz display. I know I've brought this up in the past, and the bug keeps happening so FSE for life.

Last edited by fairchild; 5th April 2014 at 17:20.
fairchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 17:47   #25688  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carmack View Post
I had it too. Here's what you must download. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=26347
Thanks but this won't install for some reason, I get an error message while installing assembly «Microsoft.VC80.ATL,type="win32",version="8.0.50727.6195",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="x86"».

That's too bad coz I'd love to put a figure on my interop lag.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 17:57   #25689  |  Link
burfadel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Thanks but this won't install for some reason, I get an error message while installing assembly «Microsoft.VC80.ATL,type="win32",version="8.0.50727.6195",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",processorArchitecture="x86"».

That's too bad coz I'd love to put a figure on my interop lag.
Open an elevated command prompt, and type:
fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\

then reboot. It should then work.
burfadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 18:10   #25690  |  Link
wolfman2791

@madshi. On the new test build, i get the message "madvr reports: -creating Direct3D device failed (8876086c)"when i enable windowed overlay. I'm running windows 8.1 x64 with a i5-3470 and a gtx 660 with 8gb RAM.

Edit: i don't think it has anything to do with the test build since the new feature is working. I just happened to check the windowed overlay box because i'd never tried it and i got this message. Not gonna miss it wince i never used this feature... but i thought i'd let you know.

Last edited by wolfman2791; 5th April 2014 at 18:40.
wolfman2791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 19:50   #25691  |  Link
nikola
Registered Developer

Quote:
Same error as others reported (Direct3D Device creation failed) when overlay is enabled, on a Haswell HD 4600 iGPU.

When switching off overlay, it works but with vsync issues, which I didn't notice in the latest stable release.
nikola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 20:03   #25692  |  Link
yok833

Is it possible to create a profil in madvr that takes the bit rate of the video in consideration? With bluray content I can't use 32 neurons chroma upscaling + error diffusion but I have no problem with any1080p MKV....

Envoyé de mon GT-I9300 en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited by yok833; 5th April 2014 at 20:06.
yok833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 20:54   #25693  |  Link
aufkrawall

New windowed mode works well here with every sample I got. I will definitely keep using it as long as no issues appear.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 21:37   #25694  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Visually unpleasing black flashes with madVRwindowedTest when resizing the video window, though I guess something like that is necessary side-effect of presenting in advance? If you could somehow mask what I assume is madVR flushing the present queue on resize, that would be nice.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 21:47   #25695  |  Link
turbojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild View Post
New windowed test works fine here. I still need to use FSE though, since sometimes the desktop composition stays stuck in a previous Hz which causes massive frame drops. Only FSE picks up the correct refresh rate of the monitor. Not sure why/how this bug happens or if there is a workaround. example: play a file that has a 23.976 frame rate, which causes the composition rate to be 23.976Hz, which then causes frame drops since the display device is actually at 60hz. So the desktop composition would need to be 60hz to prevent frame drops when playing a 23.976 fps file on the 60hz display. I know I've brought this up in the past, and the bug keeps happening so FSE for life.
Thought I was the only one that had this issue. The other workarounds that I found were disabling aero (madvr can do it) or restarting aero with admin rights: net stop uxsms & net start uxsms. Luckily it's not a problem with windows 8. Madvr osd doesn't even show composition rate, I wonder if the same could be applied with windows 7.

Same results as everyone else with the new test build, overlay broken but presenting frames in advance window mode finally 0 dropped frames over a 42 minute episode, never seen that before. Madvr was also using ivtc with 0 cadence breaks which is more impressive.
Old 5th April 2014, 21:51   #25696  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
Luckily it's not a problem with windows 8. Madvr osd doesn't even show composition rate, I wonder if the same could be applied with windows 7.
Desktop Composition was quite improved with Windows 8, I've personally encountered quite a few issues with the Windows 7 composition mode (which can be solved by restarting the compositor) that just went away when testing on Windows 8 instead.
Old 5th April 2014, 22:27   #25697  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Desktop Composition was quite improved with Windows 8, I've personally encountered quite a few issues with the Windows 7 composition mode (which can be solved by restarting the compositor) that just went away when testing on Windows 8 instead.
Agreed... I made the switch to 8.1 from 7 and now I only check "delay playback start until render queue is full" and "enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode". With Windows 7 I always needed to disable desktop composition, but not anymore with 8.1

QB
Old 5th April 2014, 22:49   #25698  |  Link
Anime Viewer
Troubleshooter

Quote:
Here's a new test build:

This test build implements a new windowed presentation path, which is pretty much identical to the way FSE works. Meaning, I'm presenting several frames in advance. This used to not work in windowed mode in older OSs. But beginning in Windows 7, with Aero turned on, it seems to work reasonably well. I'm getting slightly more reliable playback in windowed mode on Windows 8.1 x64 here with this new windowed mode presentation path, compared to the old path.

The new presentation path only works in Windows 8/8.1, or in Windows 7 with Aero/DesktopComposition enabled. You can detect which mode is used by looking at the debug OSD (Ctrl+J). The old windowed mode path shows a "backbuffer queue", the new path shows a "present queue". You can select which path to use by checking/unchecking the "present several frames in advance" in the windowed mode settings page.
So far its worked well in my testing on single screens, and when displaying on multiple monitors (notebook screen and tv) if I use an HDMI cable directly between them. However when I try to use Intel Widi/Miracast it drops frames quite quickly in both extend and duplicate modes whenever its set to present frames in advance (regardless of if its one or sixteen). I'll continue to experiment, and see if I can find a workaround for Widi/Miracast that doesn't involve shutting off the presenting frames in advance feature. Edit: Duplicate mode starts dropping them right at the start of the video, but Extend mode seems to go just short of 1 minute before it starts dropping frames.

(I was hoping the frames in advance feature might eliminate the issue of tearing on secondary monitors when using duplicate mode when using direct HDMI cables, but it looks like it unfortunately still exists).

Last edited by Anime Viewer; 5th April 2014 at 23:13.
Anime Viewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 00:16   #25699  |  Link
SecurityBunny

Quote:
Here's a new test build:

This test build implements a new windowed presentation path, which is pretty much identical to the way FSE works. Meaning, I'm presenting several frames in advance. This used to not work in windowed mode in older OSs. But beginning in Windows 7, with Aero turned on, it seems to work reasonably well. I'm getting slightly more reliable playback in windowed mode on Windows 8.1 x64 here with this new windowed mode presentation path, compared to the old path.

The new presentation path only works in Windows 8/8.1, or in Windows 7 with Aero/DesktopComposition enabled. You can detect which mode is used by looking at the debug OSD (Ctrl+J). The old windowed mode path shows a "backbuffer queue", the new path shows a "present queue". You can select which path to use by checking/unchecking the "present several frames in advance" in the windowed mode settings page.
Using windows 8.1, I seem to be getting slightly better performance than FSE mode with this build! Although, only marginally better by .20-40 ms.

Checking and unchecking 'use a separate device for presentation' didn't seem to affect performance either way, so leaving that disabled.

Bumped windowed mode 'frames in advance' to 16, so queues are respectfully 24/20/16. Queues remained full, didn't receive any dropped frames except when starting the playback and going fullscreen.

I didn't notice any visual glitches with smooth motion enabled. I'm loving the new build and windowed mode, just for the performance and a responsive seek bar!

Is there any specific advantage to FSE that it should be used instead of windowed mode? I also do not have 'windowed overlay' enabled. Is there any advantage to enabling that option?

Last edited by SecurityBunny; 6th April 2014 at 00:19.
SecurityBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 00:55   #25700  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

@madshi: With new windowed mode, either with SM FRC enabled or disabled madVR draw 60fps. I guess it's expected? Before without SM it was just drawing at movie framerat IIRC.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling