Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 12th November 2019, 23:18   #57761  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
For some reason are 10 bit videos more demanding to upscale than an 8 bit ones? Both files full HD and scaling to 4K, using the same profiles and there are some huge differences here between the rendering times which I've confirmed on the OSD.
Showing the renderingsteps only shows that the bulk of it is going to chroma and NGU doubling. Is this normal? First time I've seen it.
I wouldn't expect scaling to be any different, as I would expect madVR to use high bitdepth textures in all cases already.

Timing info can be treacherous, it might be influenced by another step entirely and only show there.
Old 12th November 2019, 23:26   #57762  |  Link
d3rd3vil

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
i personally not aware of a situation where NGU sharp is better then NGU aa for chroma i would generally use NGU AA or super xbr for chroma. this is totally different from image doubling chroma where the same algorithm is preferred and that what madVR trys to use.

you find add grain under upscale refinements in the past it was only usable for NGU sharp i know it works for NGU AA too now but not sure about the rest of the scaler. the grain is added before scaling this somehow help NGU sharp in upscaling beware at a low resolution the grain can get quite big.

RCA and RRN have heavy effects on the image quality even on good source that's why it should be set depending on the source.
the results of NGU sharp change heavily if they are used because NGU sharp can't handle low image quality/compression artifacts and often enhance them.
RCA and RRN make the image pretty soft so using some sharpening filter to counter this is a good idea in such a situation but again heavily depends on the content so i can't do a recommendation here.
God bless you I will try the good stuff
d3rd3vil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2019, 09:43   #57763  |  Link
Msarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by toki View Post
I don't know if this is a madVR question or MPC-HC, but I can't get subtitles to show no matter what I do and I'm unsure of what's going on.
One reason I can think of is subtitles set to render too far below the frame.
You can find it under MPC options > Subtitles -> Override placement -> Vertical.
Set it to 95% or lower and see if that helps.

It's also possible that you have Default Style for subtitles enabled in MPC, which can do the same thing. Try fiddling with it under "Screen Alighnment & Margins".
Msarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2019, 13:15   #57764  |  Link
toki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msarc View Post
One reason I can think of is subtitles set to render too far below the frame.
You can find it under MPC options > Subtitles -> Override placement -> Vertical.
Set it to 95% or lower and see if that helps.

It's also possible that you have Default Style for subtitles enabled in MPC, which can do the same thing. Try fiddling with it under "Screen Alighnment & Margins".
I figured out what the problem was. Thank you for your help.

Last edited by toki; 13th November 2019 at 13:31.
toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2019, 16:48   #57765  |  Link
Klaus1189

What was the problem? On forums you should always post the reason if you know it.
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2019, 01:57   #57766  |  Link
Furgiuele

Hi all and sorry for my bad English! I have a (clock deviation) issue. I use Jriver MC25 and Madvr .17, on htpc with I5 9600 cpu - Nvidia 2060 gpu. When I start watching a movie I have a big clock deviation with a frame drop every second or littlemore, but the cd decreases and frame drop time increases continuously. Then, after one hour, really I won't have any frame dropped and I won't have any stuttering or artifacts. I try to use custom resolution in Madvr, but my gpu driver didn't accept. Can someone help my to solve the strange issue? Thanks
Furgiuele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2019, 06:07   #57767  |  Link
Klaus1189

Use the suggested settings of madVR for custom refresh rate and create it with CRU:
https://www.monitortests.com/forum/T...on-Utility-CRU
Old 14th November 2019, 10:51   #57768  |  Link
jeffk

Hi,

Is there any trouble with the tone mapping ?

Here the screenshoot of the 1080p SDR version versus the 4K HDR tone mapped to SDR (using "Let MadVR decide" and "Pixelshader", they both have the same result)

1080p SDR :
https://reho.st/view/self/631eef439c...004bf6a411.jpg

4k HDR to SDR (downscaled to 1080 using Jinc)
https://reho.st/view/self/8319a1c769...516a19b141.jpg

Thanks,
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2019, 11:15   #57769  |  Link
mclingo

they look different to me, the first one is definately brighter and has a bit more red at low IRE, blacks arent as deep as the second, but this could be a personal preference thing, the second looks more natural to me.

I watched it in HDR and it looked much the same for me to using MADVR, the series is very rogue one easque so muted colours, washed out greys and blacks.
Old 14th November 2019, 12:06   #57770  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
Hi,

Is there any trouble with the tone mapping ?

Here the screenshoot of the 1080p SDR version versus the 4K HDR tone mapped to SDR (using "Let MadVR decide" and "Pixelshader", they both have the same result)

1080p SDR :
https://reho.st/view/self/631eef439c...004bf6a411.jpg

4k HDR to SDR (downscaled to 1080 using Jinc)
https://reho.st/view/self/8319a1c769...516a19b141.jpg

Thanks,
You are complaining about the tone mapping quality for a shitty HDR torrent that was captured using an HDMI capture card? Is that not from a newly released Disney+ TV show?

It is your source and not the tone mapping. Check the original stream before complaining about a the quality of a low-grade torrent file on these forums.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2019, 12:19   #57771  |  Link
huhn

wow i except something like this from me but not from you.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2019, 12:44   #57772  |  Link
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
You are complaining about the tone mapping quality for a shitty HDR torrent that was captured using an HDMI capture card? Is that not from a newly released Disney+ TV show?

It is your source and not the tone mapping. Check the original stream before complaining about a the quality of a low-grade torrent file on these forums.
Well you may do some research because its pure downloaded from the source, not capture

I'll be not deviate to piracy talk but you may check again

I can test with a proper UHD Bluray I own, it will be the same.

And i'm not complaining at all, just reporting something, so madshi can check if the tone mapping is ok are not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by jeffk; 14th November 2019 at 12:47.
Old 14th November 2019, 13:24   #57773  |  Link
el Filou

If you're talking about the tone mapping in the latest official release, it hasn't seen changes for more than a year now and frankly is starting to show its age.
Unfortunately the HDR test builds over at AVS Forum are changing constantly so it's difficult to recommend a specific one, but the gains in quality are really amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furgiuele View Post
I have a (clock deviation) issue. I use Jriver MC25. When I start watching a movie I have a big clock deviation with a frame drop every second or littlemore, but the cd decreases and frame drop time increases continuously. Then, after one hour, really I won't have any frame dropped and I won't have any stuttering or artifacts.
Are you using JRMC's 'reclocking' feature? I don't know what it's called but I know it has one and this sounds like the situation when ReClock is 'learning' the clock.
If you can't solve your issue by creating a custom refresh rate with CRU, maybe the JRiver forums will help you better.

Last edited by el Filou; 14th November 2019 at 13:27.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2019, 14:04   #57774  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
Well you may do some research because its pure downloaded from the source, not capture

I'll be not deviate to piracy talk but you may check again

I can test with a proper UHD Bluray I own, it will be the same.

And i'm not complaining at all, just reporting something, so madshi can check if the tone mapping is ok are not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Can you download Disney+ shows already? That picture looks absolutely terrible. UHD Blu-rays actually look really good when tone mapped. I question the quality of the source.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2019, 14:13   #57775  |  Link
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
That picture looks absolutely terrible.
I compressed my screenshot from full sized BMP to JPG, because I didnt find any hoster that accept 6MB+ files...

I was questioning about the "light" and "greyness/darkeness" the quality is fine but yes the compression destroy the quality.

I can upload the BMP but I dont know where.
Old 14th November 2019, 14:13   #57776  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Please remember rule #6 and cease discussion of illegally obtained materials.
Old 15th November 2019, 00:31   #57777  |  Link
Furgiuele

Hi.
I solved my issue erasing 2160p23 and 2160p29 in device-display mode. Now Madvr uses p24 or p30 for all movies without any significant clock deviation. I have 1 frame repeat every one ore two days!
Furgiuele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2019, 06:09   #57778  |  Link
Klaus1189

What is now left in the line of displaymodes in madVR? Sounds wrong to me, because you must use 23 for 23.976 and 24 for 24.000 movies/files. Check the files you tested with the 24Hz mode with MediaInfo for framerate.
Old 17th November 2019, 14:40   #57779  |  Link
Bryanhoop

More and more of my sources are using 10-bit encoding. My TV's HDR is absolute crap so I disable HDR completely on the set and in the Windows video output settings. However, this causes a lot of my 10-bit sources to look funny (too dark or an orange tint).

Is there any foolproof way to get my 10-bit sources to just look like a normal 8-bit source?
Bryanhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2019, 21:26   #57780  |  Link
mclingo

Ive been having another look at HDR, just dont think my first gen 4k can cut it at all, some stuff looks ok but more SDR than HDR and some stuff looks awful, kind of flat and washed out. MPC-BE does a pretty good SDR conversion though which makes stuff look pretty good, do we know if we'll be getting HDR to SDR conversion back at some point in MADVR?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling