Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th February 2012, 10:03   #12301  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
If I have a DVD that obviously does not need deinterlacing (I trust my eyes if it looks better with IVTC) is there something I can report?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Can you clarify? Do you mean this DVD does not need IVTC? Or do you mean it looks better with madVR's IVTC algorithm compared to DXVA deinterlacing? Or do you mean something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Small typo in changelog.
Thx.

Quote:
Madshi, When I have ffdshow RAW enabled and Avisynth active with buffered ahead frames I get a previously rendered frame displayed on the screen just as file playback stops and transitions to the next file in the playlist.
This has been mentioned before but I've just now discovered what causes it.
So this only occurs with ffdshow RAW + Avisynth? That's kinda weird. I'm not sure if it's my fault or ffdshow's fault. Anyway, I would consider that to be a cosmetical glitch and thus not extremely important at the moment. So many other things to do... Polishing, removing cosmetical glitches etc will probably be the last thing I do before I get to v1.0. But that's still quite some time away.

Quote:
Also I've noticed a couple of FSE mode initialization problems as I've been minimizing MPC thus switching from windowed mode to fullscreen a number of times on my i7 2600K.
When it comes up that initialization has failed it never appears to reattempt it until the player is restarted, I stay in windowed mode whilst in fullscreen even though FSE is enabled.
I never saw FSE issues with 0.80 but I'm having problems trying to reproduce it so I guess no big deal for now.
It is intentional that if FSE initialization fails, madVR won't try again. The reason for that is that trying to enter FSE mode can result in stuttering, even if it fails. So if I try to enter FSE mode once every couple of seconds, you may get stuttering once every couple of seconds.

Could you please double check whether this problem is new with v0.81 or whether it also occurs with v0.80 and v0.79? Thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Do you plan to support it when Windows 8 reach RTM then?
Sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
Since 0.80 there has been a problem of when I return from full screen to windowed mode that the window in MPC stays maximized

More to add:

Display rate shows 59.93hz
Composition rate shows 50hz
Movie fps 25.000 (says source filter)

Playing back the same DVD (Heat) with IVTC and no deinterlacing

Just saying that I expected the display rate to be my LCD refresh rate unless that is what composition rate is.
Are you using the Direct3D11 presentation option in madVR? Which OS and which GPU are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
madshi, just to double check, is this working for you?
Code:
* deint + ivtc is now auto activated for 60i movies which are tagged to 24 Hz
When I tag an ATSC .wtv 60i file with "23p" or "23Hz", interlacing is on and display switches to 23p, but it's not switched automatically to film mode.

EDIT: It seems I have to disable automatic source type detection. btw, is auto working yet?
I'm not sure if I ever tested this. My development PC LCD screen is so stupid that it only supports 60Hz. I have to test these kind of things on my HTPC. I'll put this on my list of things to test.

"auto" is not really working well yet. It basically is supposed to switch to film mode if the display refresh rate is 25Hz or less, and to switch to video mode in all other cases. A true auto detection (based on analyzing the video frames) is planned for a future version, but don't expect it any time soon.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 10:33   #12302  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I'm not sure if I ever tested this. My development PC LCD screen is so stupid that it only supports 60Hz. I have to test these kind of things on my HTPC. I'll put this on my list of things to test.
It seems enabling auto detection is overriding this other "semi auto" setting.

Thanks for this new feature, by the way!
Old 26th February 2012, 10:44   #12303  |  Link
Razoola

Everything is good for me so far with 081, my issue with 080 is gone.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 11:25   #12304  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
* fixed: v210 pitch/stride handling was broken
* fixed: YV24 had swapped chroma channels
Both seem to be working fine now, thanks.
Although i'm unsure if i should really switch to YV24 as default YUV 4:4:4 mode right away (to avoid EVR issues with AYUV), people might not upgrade madVR for whatever reasons.
I guess i'll let it "age" for a while.
Old 26th February 2012, 11:40   #12305  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Although i'm unsure if i should really switch to YV24 as default YUV 4:4:4 mode right away (to avoid EVR issues with AYUV), people might not upgrade madVR for whatever reasons.
I guess i'll let it "age" for a while.
Yeah, waiting a couple of weeks might be a good idea. Of course, if you really wanted, you could check the madVR file version resource...
Old 26th February 2012, 11:45   #12306  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
So this only occurs with ffdshow RAW + Avisynth? That's kinda weird. I'm not sure if it's my fault or ffdshow's fault. Anyway, I would consider that to be a cosmetical glitch and thus not extremely important at the moment.
Seems to, it's a little hard to reproduce, it looks like getting some extra flushing in there has fixed it. It only occurs in FSE mode and requires some jumping around. I'll look into which flush is fixing it later.

Quote:
Could you please double check whether this problem is new with v0.81 or whether it also occurs with v0.80 and v0.79? Thx.
If I can get it to do it again I most certainly will. In trying to reproduce this I found I can crash MPC consistently by keeping the MadVR config window open (either initial or second window) when MPC loads the next file in the folder.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 12:23   #12307  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

I think message "deinterlacing off (settings)" in OSD should be shown only when playing interlaced video and if we play progressive video that message should be "deinterlacing off (says bitstream)" because it is off anyway. It will help to know if we force to turn off deinterlacing or video doesn't need to be deinterlaced. I wish you understand what I trying to say
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 12:24   #12308  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Yeah, waiting a couple of weeks might be a good idea. Of course, if you really wanted, you could check the madVR file version resource...
The big problem here is that i have to decide this before i know what will be the renderer...
Old 26th February 2012, 12:27   #12309  |  Link
iSunrise

I just woke up, what a nice surprise on this sunday madshi.

Anyway, I already encountered some weird bug in the automatic switching of the display mode in 0.81 after testing some regular trailers and other files with a framerate of 23.976 with my display at 60Hz.

1) I checked "switch to matching display mode ... when media player goes fullscreen" and I´ve only listed 1080p24 in the list of display modes
2) I launch PotPlayer and open the movie
3) After I go fullscreen I can see that madVR switches the display to 1080p and 24Hz (23.977 to be exact), however:

- the OSD still shows "display 59.95253Hz" and (see screenshot #1)
- madVR doesn´t invoke exclusive mode (the OSD shows windowed in the upper left corner after the switch took place) and
- the picture is not centered anymore as it should be, but shifted down by quite a bit (see screenshots #1)

If I manually switch my display via NVIDIA´s custom resultion selection - 1920x1080 - 24Hz - and play the same movie, madVR perfectly switches to fullscreen and also shows "display 23.977" in the OSD (so everything as it should be).

I was using PotPlayer for this test, as always. If I use MPC-HC, the picture is centered (that one is different from the PotPlayer behaviour), but the picture is lagging constantly and the other issues are the same as with PotPlayer.

Here are some screenshots if you need them:
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 12:34   #12310  |  Link
pankov

iSunrise,
I think you should put 1080p23 in madVR's settings to get 23.976 refresh rate. Otherwise madVR tells Windows to switch to 1080p24 and if it doesn't have this mode it switches to a random one.
pankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 12:37   #12311  |  Link
iSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankov View Post
iSunrise,
I think you should put 1080p23 in madVR's settings to get 23.976 refresh rate. Otherwise madVR tells Windows to switch to 1080p24 and if it doesn't have this mode it switches to a random one.
I´ve also tried 1080p23 instead of 1080p24, but the result is the same, unfortunately.

This is how it looks in the NVIDIA resolution settings (I am using the custom resolution settings that were recommended in this thread to have almost perfect sync with 23.976 content and they work perfectly fine if I switch to them manually):

Last edited by iSunrise; 26th February 2012 at 12:42.
Old 26th February 2012, 12:42   #12312  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
If I can get it to do it again I most certainly will. In trying to reproduce this I found I can crash MPC consistently by keeping the MadVR config window open (either initial or second window) when MPC loads the next file in the folder.
A crash in MPC or in madVR? In the latter case send me a crash report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
I think message "deinterlacing off (settings)" in OSD should be shown only when playing interlaced video and if we play progressive video that message should be "deinterlacing off (says bitstream)" because it is off anyway. It will help to know if we force to turn off deinterlacing or video doesn't need to be deinterlaced. I wish you understand what I trying to say
To be honest, I don't really see the big benefit of the change you're suggesting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
The big problem here is that i have to decide this before i know what will be the renderer...
Oh yes, makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSunrise View Post
3) After I go fullscreen I can see that madVR switches the display to 1080p and 24Hz (23.977 to be exact), however:

- the OSD still shows "display 59.95253Hz" and (see screenshot #1)
Does the OSD still update itself regularly? If so, does the display refresh rate listed in the OSD change later to the correct 23.977? If not, does it change at all or is it "fixed" forever?

Quote:
- madVR doesn´t invoke exclusive mode (the OSD shows windowed in the upper left corner after the switch took place) and
There will be a reason for that. You can upload a log, then I may be able to see the reason. Please keep the OSD turned on when creating the log.

Quote:
- the picture is not centered anymore as it should be, but shifted down by quite a bit (see screenshots #1)
This is probably a PotPlayer bug. At least it's PotPlayer's responsibility to position and size the madVR rendering window.
Old 26th February 2012, 12:46   #12313  |  Link
pankov

Quote:
madVR v0.81 released
Code:
* added automatic exception catching functionality
* improved exclusive -> windowed mode behaviour slightly, mainly for ZoomPlayer
* fixed: frame stepping sometimes resulted in weird play/pause mixed state
* fixed: one case where "delay playback start..." resulted in paused state
madshi,
thank you very much for the new version - very nice new features and changes

sadly I have to report that one problem is still not fixed:
enabling "delay playback start..." is still resulting in "paused state" when I make excessive stream switching in ZoomPlayer (pressing and holding the Ctrl+B keyboard combo (switches subtitle streams)).
I've also got one exception when going out of FSE mode and sent you the report ... btw very nice feature.
I confirm that the frame step issue is fixed and that exclusive->window mode switch in Zoom Player do look better now.
pankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 12:46   #12314  |  Link
iSunrise

Quote:
Does the OSD still update itself regularly? If so, does the display refresh rate listed in the OSD change later to the correct 23.977? If not, does it change at all or is it "fixed" forever?
Nope, it doesn´t update at all. I´ve let a movie run for about 5 minutes just to be sure.

Quote:
There will be a reason for that. You can upload a log, then I may be able to see the reason. Please keep the OSD turned on when creating the log.
Ok, will do.

EDIT: And here it is:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ujm2dtcmnhevlv9

I´ve switched to fullscreen at approx. 5 seconds and let it run until 2:10 minutes and switched back to windowed.
One other thing that is really odd is that the display refresh rate listed doesn´t update at all (like I mentioned), but all other stats DO STILL update perfectly fine.

Last edited by iSunrise; 26th February 2012 at 12:56.
Old 26th February 2012, 13:05   #12315  |  Link
nlnl

madshi
Thank you for .81!

Please have a look:
The source is NTSC film in .mkv container (DVD). Mediainfo reports that video scan type: Progressive.
Madvr is in film mode (settings).

Display does not switch to 23, but switches to 59. If mediainfo reports that Scan type: Interlaced, everething is OK.
nlnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 13:10   #12316  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankov View Post
sadly I have to report that one problem is still not fixed:
enabling "delay playback start..." is still resulting in "paused state" when I make excessive stream switching in ZoomPlayer (pressing and holding the Ctrl+B keyboard combo (switches subtitle streams)).
I can't do much about this at the moment. I have this on my to do list, but it will be difficult to fix. If you have a big problem with this, you either have to switch only once at a time, until playback starts again, then you can switch another time. If you can't live with that, you'll have to disable the "delay playback start..." option.

Quote:
The log says that PotPlayer has set madVR to 1920x1200. I don't know why. This keeps madVR from entering FSE mode. The madVR window needs to be the exact size of the display width/height.

Quote:
One other thing that is really odd is that the display refresh rate listed doesn´t update at all (like I mentioned), but all other stats DO STILL update perfectly fine.
Ok, I guess I have to totally restart rendering after a display mode change. To be honest, I was hoping that wouldn't be necessary. Anyway, I'll change that for the next build. That should fix the display refresh rate problem. But it won't change the FSE problem. That's a PotPlayer bug, as far as I can see. I'm wondering, though: Does this really not occur with older madVR builds? I don't see why PotPlayer should set v0.81 to 1920x1200 and older builds to 1920x1080!?
Old 26th February 2012, 13:11   #12317  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlnl View Post
madshi
Thank you for .81!

Please have a look:
The source is NTSC film in .mkv container (DVD). Mediainfo reports that video scan type: Progressive.
Madvr is in film mode (settings).

Display does not switch to 23, but switches to 59. If mediainfo reports that Scan type: Interlaced, everething is OK.
A small sample might help. Just the first 50MB or so.
Old 26th February 2012, 13:25   #12318  |  Link
ryrynz

MPC generates a error saying it's stopped working, so I'm uncertain, I've created a log anyway if you're interested.

http://www.mediafire.com/?5a6o4g47fulerfs
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 13:39   #12319  |  Link
aufkrawall

With new version new exclusive mode is working fine now, at least I've not seen any stuttering yet.
Will you fix the issue with FRAPS videos not playing with FRAPS decoder in a future version?
It's still there with 81.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 13:51   #12320  |  Link
iSunrise

Quote:
The log says that PotPlayer has set madVR to 1920x1200. I don't know why. This keeps madVR from entering FSE mode. The madVR window needs to be the exact size of the display width/height.
I see what you´re saying. It seems to be the PotPlayer setting "Full screen settings - Resolution" under "Playback - Full screen settings", see my screenshot here:

Under "Full screen settings - Resolution" I´ve just changed my setting from "Current resolution (recommended)" to "1920x1080 (32bits, 60Hz)" and now I have THE SAME behaviour as under MPC-HC:

- picture IS centered now, but
- lagging picture (it´s constant, probably because the renderer wants to sync with 59.95xx (60Hz) but the actual refresh is 23.977, dropped frames are increasing very fast)
- wrong display refresh rate in the OSD

Quote:
Ok, I guess I have to totally restart rendering after a display mode change. To be honest, I was hoping that wouldn't be necessary. Anyway, I'll change that for the next build. That should fix the display refresh rate problem.
That would mean if you can fix this, the problem described above should be fixed in Potplayer, as well as in MPC-HC. Sounds good.

Quote:
But it won't change the FSE problem. That's a PotPlayer bug, as far as I can see. I'm wondering, though: Does this really not occur with older madVR builds? I don't see why PotPlayer should set v0.81 to 1920x1200 and older builds to 1920x1080!?
I didn´t check that, since I wanted to test the automatic switching again at 0.81 since by now it is a lot more refined. I guess 0.80 should behave similiarly, then.

I´m gonna wait for your fix and test again.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling