Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 14th October 2004, 04:54   #1  |  Link
ape

stair stepping when using overlays other than vmr9

Whenever I play back any type of video, I get stair stepping/jagginess on the edges. It looks as if the renderer is using nearest pixel resize/discard deinterlacing instead of bilinear resizing. This only happens if I use a renderer other than vmr9, which means that I can't play back HDTV because VMR9 is so slow. This also limits which software I can use to play back dvds (powerdvd doesn't allow you choose which renderer to use.)

I can't seem to remember when this started happening, I didnt notice it until after I installed the sasser filters for playing back HDTV, at first I thought it was only happening with those filters, but it turns out it was happening with everything I played.

I've noticed Zoom Player has a "Fix VMR9 Scaling Bug" option, but this only fixes it on VMR9, not on the other types of overlays.

I tried going back to directx 8.1, but it didn't fix anything, so I've reinstalled DX9.

Anyone got any insight into how I can fix this? Sorry for the long post, I just want to be able to watch HDTV again without jaggies .
ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2004, 17:55   #2  |  Link
happy_harry

So....
Everything is fine, until you notice this, and then.... You know.
In my opinion vmr9 makes my movies blurred, so i choose stairs rather than blurring.
Luv M$.
happy_harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2004, 21:45   #3  |  Link
ape

Quote:
Originally posted by happy_harry
So....
Everything is fine, until you notice this, and then.... You know.
In my opinion vmr9 makes my movies blurred, so i choose stairs rather than blurring.
Luv M$.
you get this too? somebody needs to stab microsoft
Old 15th October 2004, 22:36   #4  |  Link
happy_harry

Quote:
Originally posted by ape
you get this too?
Not just me. I've seen this anomaly on many comps, but i just don't tell anybody. Everything is just fine until you see them, then it hurts hard.
happy_harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2004, 22:39   #5  |  Link
ape

Quote:
Originally posted by happy_harry
Not just me. I've seen this anomaly on many comps, but i just don't tell anybody. Everything is just fine until you see them, then it hurts hard.
yeah, it makes small res videos totally unwatchable cause they look like pixelated crap.