Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th June 2016, 21:44   #38301  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahaa7 View Post
But if I turn off deinterlacing in madVR, I do get an interlaced signal out (I see combing), but my TV thinks it's progressive. I've tried setting the "display mode" in madVR to 1080i50, but still my TV reads it as "1080p". Which also begs the question when might adding interlaced options to "display modes" of a TV/display be useful...
madVR is still transforming this to RGB and by doing this the interlaced image can't be deinterlaced anymore because the chroma channel is ruined.

interlaced output works by taking an progressive image and turn this into an interlaced image in the GPU. so you are not winning anything from this.

if you want to send an interlaced image disable display modes and set your screen to an interlaced mode if available.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2016, 22:41   #38302  |  Link
Warner306

Can you explain these features:

- Preserve hue in...
- measure each frame's peak luminance
- Restore details in compressed highlights. Does this involve image upscaling, sharpening?
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2016, 22:58   #38303  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
- Preserve hue in...
Well, imagine an out of gamut highly saturated greenish color. It might have RGB values [50, 320, 40]. Now if you do nothing, 320 will at some point be clipped by someone to 255, so the color will mutate to [50, 255, 40]. This is a different hue than the original color, which is not good. A better method would be to either darken the color (divide all 3 components by 320/255). But we don't really want to darken colors, either. So we could try to desaturate the color. But in which color space? E.g. YCbCr or even XYZ or xyY are not hue linear. So desaturating colors in those color spaces will still change hue slightly (but not as much as naive clipping). So the "Preserve hue" option allows you to switch between different methods. Of course the "high quality" setting is the best, but also the slowest.

Quote:
- measure each frame's peak luminance
This measures each frame's peak luminance, and then uses these measurements to optimize the tone mapping curves to each frame in the video. Without those measurements there's currently only one global metadata per video available. But not all scenes in a movie are identical! In some scenes you have much higher peak luminance pixels than in other scenes. So one global peak number for the whole movie is not optimal. At some point we might get dynamic metadata to allow peak luminance metadata per scene. But it's not available yet, so these measurements are something I came up with to optimize quality right now as much as possible.

Quote:
- Restore details in compressed highlights.
When doing tone mapping, you're compressing highlight image areas into a smaller data range. Doing that is necessary, but results in lost details. So the "Restore details" option tries to restore the detail that was lost due to tone mapping. It does so by selectively sharpen the image (only where it's needed). This option is rather subtle, but in some scenes there's a visible difference. (Upscaling is not involved.)
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2016, 23:28   #38304  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Mixed scaling is broken again

QB
Old 13th June 2016, 00:19   #38305  |  Link
Vegekou

madVR v0.90.21

madVR v0.90.20

VLC 2.2.4
Vegekou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 01:05   #38306  |  Link
Warner306

Is Dolby Vision metadata now recognized and passed-through?
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 01:10   #38307  |  Link
castaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Oh well, you can use this header:
Thanks a lot Madshi.
I'll try to see if I figure out how to use it in my language. Tks for the hard work you put lately in madVR too
castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 01:52   #38308  |  Link
huhn

did you changed the HDR peak luminance to something low like 180?
Old 13th June 2016, 02:46   #38309  |  Link
robl45

So I updated my driver and it switches to stereoscopic resolution when I play mvc mkv file. But I'm not getting 3d. Its like it's switching to 3d and playing the 2d file and then when I exit, it stays in 3d resolution and I need to manually go to display panel and turn off 3d to get back to normal 1080p resolution.
robl45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 03:53   #38310  |  Link
EncodedMango

Quote:
If it occurs again, please describe in more detail how the video lags. I'm not fully sure what you mean. But if the problem is already gone, as is well, of course.
Hello, the issue has not reappeared so far after resetting, I think it might have been something because I had been using the same settings file since at least 0.85.5

But for the sake of explanation, the FSE lag I was experiencing is hard to describe - it was not smooth, like camera panning judder except it was happening in every single scene. The motions were not smooth, felt off, slightly delayed but not enough to have any audio syncing issues.
EncodedMango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 04:36   #38311  |  Link
amayra
Quality Checker

does madVR Support assFilterMod ?
Old 13th June 2016, 06:26   #38312  |  Link
Kotik

Morning guys,

Is it possible to use DXVA Chroma upscaling if u are not using DXVA Decoding or Deintrrlacing?

Also how does DXVA Chroma upscaling compares quality wise to bilinear.
Kotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 07:35   #38313  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotik View Post
Morning guys,

Is it possible to use DXVA Chroma upscaling if u are not using DXVA Decoding or Deintrrlacing?

Also how does DXVA Chroma upscaling compares quality wise to bilinear.
yes there is one additional way i know.

by using bilinear chroma scaling and DXVA image scaling dxva is used for chroma scaling if image scaling is needed else it is using your normal chroma scaler

i never heard a positve word about dxva chroma scaling and quality depends on the used hardware and/or driver.
Old 13th June 2016, 08:01   #38314  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
Yes, Windows 8.1 is currently more stable for video playback.
Stable as not crashing, or better video performance with Madvr?

Windows 10 is working nice on my PC, but if Madvr performes much better under Windows 8.1 I would very much like to know, and why, if you can spare the time explaining this to me. Thanx
Old 13th June 2016, 11:27   #38315  |  Link
SpoCk0nd0pe

If I remember right, I read AMD drivers sometimes cause the render queue to drop. Does anyone know if this has been fixed in certain driver versions?

I'm having frame drops from time to time, I dunno if they are a render queue issue or an SVP issue. It certainly is exacerbated with SVP but I dunno if that is the case because SVP takes too long for some frames or if the GPU just has more to do so I see the issue.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by SpoCk0nd0pe; 13th June 2016 at 11:45.
SpoCk0nd0pe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 12:01   #38316  |  Link
huhn

this doesn't sound like an AMD driver problem too me. r9 270 was working very well in the past. and yes of cause SVP could cause to high GPU usage from time to time so madVR has to drop frames.

but this is still a guess within the given information.
Old 13th June 2016, 12:29   #38317  |  Link
SpoCk0nd0pe

Thank you for the quick response!

Without SVP the queues sometimes empty themselves for no apparent reason, render time is about 6 ms. I do not get dropped frames in that instance.

With SVP the queues empty approximately just as often with the difference that I do get dropped frames.

If I enlarge the GPU queue size, the frame drops with SVP seize to happen (enlarging the present queue on the other hand gives me dropped frames). It seems I need about 16 frames in advance in my render queue. I'm on Catalyst 15.7.1 with an r9 290.

Last edited by SpoCk0nd0pe; 13th June 2016 at 12:35.
SpoCk0nd0pe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 14:06   #38318  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betroz View Post
Stable as not crashing, or better video performance with Madvr?

Windows 10 is working nice on my PC, but if Madvr performes much better under Windows 8.1 I would very much like to know, and why, if you can spare the time explaining this to me. Thanx
Haven't had a single issue with 10 and madVR. Stick with 10.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 17:48   #38319  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoCk0nd0pe View Post
If I enlarge the GPU queue size, the frame drops with SVP seize to happen (enlarging the present queue on the other hand gives me dropped frames). It seems I need about 16 frames in advance in my render queue. I'm on Catalyst 15.7.1 with an r9 290.
Do you need this old driver for SVP, or why are you still using it?
I'm not using SVP and latest Crimson 16.6.1 works very well for me in madVR (with software decoding). GPU is R9 390.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 19:59   #38320  |  Link
Vegekou

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
did you changed the HDR peak luminance to something low like 180?
In v0.90.20 display's peak luminance is set to 120 nits and it works like a charm.

In v0.90.21 The problem appear when the value is at 120 nits or 180 nits.

At 256 nits the images look good.

Another thing: if I set any value to display's peak luminance and then I disable the HDR processing, the display's value will not reset.

Last edited by Vegekou; 13th June 2016 at 20:03.
Vegekou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling