Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 1st January 2012, 01:12   #1  |  Link
glc650

Radeon 6570 with madVR

Hi,

Upgraded from a GeForce 520 to a Radeon 6570. Was using LAV and madVR before so I just continued using them (minus CUVID h/w acceleration now, of course). I'm guessing now with a Radeon card madVR will use the GPU while LAV video will use the CPU? Is this the only real difference?

Anyway, my media plays back smoothly this way (even with ESVR disabled in the CCC) but I was wondering about all the settings in the CCC. What should they be set at when using this software combo (madVR + LAV)?

Thanks,

->g.
glc650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2012, 19:12   #2  |  Link
fairchild

All settings under Video Settings in CCC set to disabled except for Use Automatic Deinterlacing and Pulldown detection.

Also leave the 3D Application settings at defaults when not gaming.
Old 1st January 2012, 23:41   #3  |  Link
glc650

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild View Post
I've never touched these settings (I don't game) so I should be good here.

Quote:
All settings under Video Settings in CCC set to disabled except for Use Automatic Deinterlacing and Pulldown detection.

So If I disable everything here then video players that don't use/can't be reconfigured to use madVR (like web video) are SOL right?

Anyway, as a test I went ahead and disabled all the settings except I left pull down detection and auto deinterlace "on" and my interlaced content was full of artifacts so it looks like madVR is ignoring that setting. Now I'm wondering if all CCC settings are ignored or just some/the deinterlacing? Ideally, it would be great if madVR ignored everything in the CCC because then I could tweak those settings for best quality for all non-madVR playback.
Old 2nd January 2012, 00:00   #4  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

madVR does ignore those video settings for non-interlaced playback. You can test this yourself by playing with the settings and seeing how it does nothing to the image. To Catalyst, madVR is a game not a video.

QB
Old 2nd January 2012, 00:38   #5  |  Link
fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by glc650 View Post
Anyway, as a test I went ahead and disabled all the settings except I left pull down detection and auto deinterlace "on" and my interlaced content was full of artifacts so it looks like madVR is ignoring that setting. Now I'm wondering if all CCC settings are ignored or just some/the deinterlacing? Ideally, it would be great if madVR ignored everything in the CCC because then I could tweak those settings for best quality for all non-madVR playback.
Are you using MadVR to deinterlace or YADIF through Lav Filters? I personally prefer the quality of YADIF over MadVR for deinterlace. I have so few content that is interlaced that it doesn't affect me much.

Also on my other PC which uses a lowly HD 5450, I can't even get MadVR's deinterlacing to work so I use YADIF on that one as well.
Old 2nd January 2012, 02:20   #6  |  Link
glc650

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
madVR does ignore those video settings for non-interlaced playback. You can test this yourself by playing with the settings and seeing how it does nothing to the image. To Catalyst, madVR is a game not a video.

QB
What about for playing back interlaced content? In my test above I was playing back 1080i60 videos with deinterlacing disabled in both madVR and LAV (but left on in the CCC) and there was still lots of artifacts. Soon as I enabled YADIF in LAV the artifacts disappeared. So I know madVR is ignoring at least the CCC deinterlaced settings.
Old 2nd January 2012, 02:41   #7  |  Link
glc650

Quote:
Are you using MadVR to deinterlace or YADIF through Lav Filters?
I started using YADIF through LAV once I realized it produced a better image for me than madVR (and once I realized the CCC settings were ignored by madVR) but I may just switch the renderer to EVR CP so I can use the CCC settings if I find AMD's vector adaptive to be better than YADIF.

Quote:
I personally prefer the quality of YADIF over MadVR for deinterlace. I have so few content that is interlaced that it doesn't affect me much.
I do as well just trying to see how well that compares to AMD's vector adpative now. Unfortunately, I have almost 200 interlaced videos from an older camcorder so deinterlacing quality if pretty important to me which is why I was hoping I could use vector adaptive with madVR.
Old 2nd January 2012, 03:07   #8  |  Link
noee

You can use h/w deint with madVR. In CCC, just turn on Use Automatic Deinterlacing and turn YADIF off in LAVVideo and then check OSD with madVR (you should be able to tell).
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2012, 03:31   #9  |  Link
glc650

Quote:
Originally Posted by noee View Post
You can use h/w deint with madVR. In CCC, just turn on Use Automatic Deinterlacing and turn YADIF off in LAVVideo and then check OSD with madVR (you should be able to tell).
Only way I can use the deinterlace settings in the CCC is if I select another renderer (like EVR CP). If I select madVR as my renderer I have to enable deinterlacing in madVR or enable YADIF in LAV (this looks much better than madVR deinterlacing) otherwise it doesn't appear to deinterlace my video at all.
Old 3rd January 2012, 03:40   #10  |  Link
glc650

What about the image scaling settings in the CCC? By default the display is handling the scaling. Do I need to put a check next to "Enable GPU Scaling" to make sure madVR scales to the display's native res?
Old 3rd January 2012, 05:32   #11  |  Link
fairchild

I have mine unchecked (Enable ITC also unchecked). I just make sure that there is 0% overscan going on when I install new drivers in the Scaling Options.
Old 3rd January 2012, 06:48   #12  |  Link
glc650

Quote:
I have mine unchecked (Enable ITC also unchecked). I just make sure that there is 0% overscan going on when I install new drivers in the Scaling Options.
So with yours setup that way (and assuming you have a 1080p display) what happens when you play a 720p video? Does madVR send it as 720p and let the monitor scale it up?
Old 3rd January 2012, 16:50   #13  |  Link
fairchild

No, MadVR upscales to 1080p. That's one of the primary benefits of using MadVR since then it uses it's higher quality chroma/luma upsampling algorithms.
Old 3rd January 2012, 18:47   #14  |  Link
glc650

Quote:
No, MadVR upscales to 1080p. That's one of the primary benefits of using MadVR since then it uses it's higher quality chroma/luma upsampling algorithms.
Does it always upscale to 1080p regardless of the desktop/windows resolution? How does the device > display modes section in the madVR config affect this?
Old 3rd January 2012, 19:33   #15  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glc650 View Post
Does it always upscale to 1080p regardless of the desktop/windows resolution? How does the device > display modes section in the madVR config affect this?
It scales to whatever the size of the player is. If you have it full screen, always to your desktop resolution.