Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 12th September 2017, 23:21   #45561  |  Link
mrmarioman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Are you sure your HDMI inputs just aren't configured differently? This is all down to your setup.. It ain't a madvr or mpc thing. May not be applicable to this thread.
Try other renderer or media player, shouldn't make a difference though unless things have been tutooed with.
I don't think it's the hdmi input. The TV switches to HDR mode when I run madVR. The setup is simple: 980Ti connected directly to the HDR-compatible hdmi port.

Sorry for asking here, but what other renderers support HDR?
mrmarioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 23:43   #45562  |  Link
mrmarioman

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
How do you know what Mars looks like, have you been there?

A change in colours is typically due to settings on the TV, like a different colour space is used with your PC and on your Blu-ray player (e.g. Rec.709 on the PC input and "native"/"vibrant"/"wide"/DCI-P3 on the BDP).
Not sure. Maybe I should tell the TV that the PC is a blu ray player --The PC is set as a 'game console', for input lag. But I get a wide colour gamut in the very few PC games that have HDR... The rest of the settings are identical.
Old 12th September 2017, 23:47   #45563  |  Link
ryrynz

so you're playing a 4k hdr disc on a non hdr TV? Well there's conversion done on hdr output by windows/the driver I believe regardless of support by media player and renderer, it will just look a bit different to how madvr converts it. Look at your bluray players picture options. You may find there what is what's making the picture "pop".
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 00:25   #45564  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarioman View Post
Not sure. Maybe I should tell the TV that the PC is a blu ray player --The PC is set as a 'game console', for input lag. But I get a wide colour gamut in the very few PC games that have HDR... The rest of the settings are identical.
You're saying your TV isn't HDR10 but switches to HDR with games and madVR? What HDR standard does it support?
In your first post you said you tried "12 bit 4:4:4, 10 bit 4:2:2, 4:2:0" etc. was that YCbCr? Did you try setting the output to RGB Full?
You'll need to provide more information so other people who know more about HDR can help you, like: TV model, OS version and display output config, etc.
Old 13th September 2017, 05:15   #45565  |  Link
ryrynz

FYI for those using W10.
KB4038788 (OS Build 15063.608) Updated HDR feature to be turned off by default in the OS.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 07:20   #45566  |  Link
mrmarioman

Quote:
You're saying your TV isn't HDR10 but switches to HDR with games and madVR? What HDR standard does it support?
In your first post you said you tried "12 bit 4:4:4, 10 bit 4:2:2, 4:2:0" etc. was that YCbCr? Did you try setting the output to RGB Full?
You'll need to provide more information so other people who know more about HDR can help you, like: TV model, OS version and display output config, etc.
Yes. It's a Samsung KU7000. Not HDR10 (1.000 nits) but it does have a wide color gamut and up to 400 nits.

I tried all those settings, including RGB 444 12 bit.

Windows 10 with HDR off (Using a 980Ti). And madVR settings are 0-255 10bit. DX11 enabled. Chroma Ups NGU. And "let madVR decide best setting".

Latest madVR version and Lav filters.

It's probably something I'm doing wrong but that's all I can think of.
Old 13th September 2017, 07:58   #45567  |  Link
huhn

the ku7000 is a HDR10 TV. the real brightness has nothing todo with HDR10 support.

and never forget the max brightness for SDR is only usable with max out settings like brightness and contrast which is generally not a good idea.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 09:50   #45568  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidz View Post
Hi guys, i'm getting slight pauses in playback that last for approx 1-2 seconds, it happens once every few minutes.

Madvr 0.91.11 , Jriver Media Player 21, Windows 10, 1080ti - 385.41

This has only started to happen recently but I can't put my finger on whats causing it.
Hard to say what it is. Do you have your GPU set to Adaptive Power? If not, try that. Also try disabling any 3rd party applications that might affect the GPU like GPU-Z or f.lux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
madshi, playback of my video files sometimes start paused and i have to resume it by hitting "space". It only happens sometimes... Any idea what error this could be?
Not really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceX View Post
After getting frustrated with MPC-BE, I dusted out PotPlayer (blasphemy. I know) to give it a try and to my utter rage, it works fine. I now feel like an idiot for wasting so much time tinkering madVR on MPC-BE.
Not sure how/why MPC-BE should make trouble here when PotPlayer doesn't. Usually with problems like this the media player isn't at fault. But I suppose there's always an exception to every rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawns1234 View Post
I have Windows 10 with CU. An AMD 480, madvr and Lab Filters are the latest available. I use a 4k Vizio m70. I am now using D3D11 in LAV now and it has been so much better, but I still have an issue where my PC locks up if I use NGU or any "doubling" algorithm. I can use xbr and cubic for chroma. The only option I can use for the other is cubic. Anything else, along with many other sharpening settings, and my PC locks up immediately after going full screen. I have tried every combo of settings, but this happens on my 480 and my 460 video card. If I use EVR, I do not have this issue. This has been going on for at least 6 months now. Any ideas?
What exactly does "lock up" mean in detail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oguignant View Post
Hi. I have problems with the latest version (0.92.2) . When I want to watch a HDR movie in full screen exclusive mode, the Tv HDR mode is disabled. I already tried to make changes to the configuration, but I can not fix it. With the previous version (0.92.1) works perfect. Any ideas?
Known problem, to be fixed in 0.92.3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetA13 View Post
finally got around testing the new build..
so far works nice, even got some performance improvements here and there.. instead of 50 - 60% Gpu usage im around 32% now.

i only habe one wierd problem. when i seek in fullscreen (FSE) the movie beginns to stutter, the buffers dont fill up and the gpu usage plus render times go way high...
After restarting the player everything is fine again..
Are you using the new native D3D11 decoding option in LAV?

Quote:
I just watched 'The Martian' with a blu-ray player and with MadVR+MPC-HC, and man the difference is big. With the blu-ray player the Martian landscape, soil, looks vibrant red, and the colours of the space suits pop. It looks great. With madVR the desert colours are brownish -doesn't even look like Mars, more like Arizona or something. And the colours don't pop.
I've tried many different configurations: 12 bit 4:4:4, 10 bit 4:2:2, 4:2:0 etc. And nothing. I am seeing the extra brightness, but the colours are just not right. Might be something about my TV - it's not a HDR10 model. It supports a wide colour gamut though, but it just reaches 400-450 nits.
There are many possible reasons why this could happen. Here are a couple of questions and comments:

1) When you say "blu-ray player" do you mean a 1080p Blu-Ray player and a 1080p Blu-Ray, or are we talking about UHD Blu-Ray? This is a really important difference, and missing in your post.

2) In your blu-ray player, can you choose different output settings, like RGB vs 4:2:0 vs 4:2:2 vs 4:4:4 etc? Can you try to see if any of them looks different, maybe nearer to what the PC outputs? If so, that might indicate that your TV might not handle one specific type of input as well as another. Otherwise, if all looks the same, we can probably rule out the TV as the guilty party here.

3) For a fair test, use the same HDMI port with the identical TV settings for both the blu-ray player and the PC.

4) In your PC, I (always) strongly recommend to use RGB output with 0-255 (Full) range. Try the madVR "use D3D11 for presentation" option and in the display properties tell madVR that your display supports 10bit. Finally, make sure that in your GPU control panel there are no funny color modifications, skin tone optimizations or other crap enabled.

5) Have you tried resetting madVR to default settings, just to be safe?

6) Do you have the OS setting "HDR and Advanced Color" turned on or off? Please make sure it's turned OFF, because it's a really bad option.

7) If all else fails, you could also try to let madVR convert the HDR content to SDR for you (using pixel shader math). It could look better or worse than what the Samsung does internally, when receiving HDR content. You can also try different "display peak nits" values.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 10:14   #45569  |  Link
BetA13
cosmic entity

Quote:
finally got around testing the new build..
so far works nice, even got some performance improvements here and there.. instead of 50 - 60% Gpu usage im around 32% now.

i only habe one wierd problem. when i seek in fullscreen (FSE) the movie beginns to stutter, the buffers dont fill up and the gpu usage plus render times go way high...
After restarting the player everything is fine again..
Quote:
nope, using windows 7 here, so this option wouldnt work here anyway.
im using:

LAV: DXVA2 CB
MadVR: direct3D 11 presentation, present a frame for every sync, FSE Mode, enable windows overlay, with an CPU queue of 16 and GPU at 10.

The Problem does not go away when playing with these settings.. well, i could be thats its better in d3d9 mode.. not shure really, didnt have enough time to test it more..

not shure if this has something to do with it, but i get 1 frame repeat every 40 - 50 seconds, and NO matter what i try, this NEVER changes. looking at some different screenshots in here, 50 sec. is really bad..

But also, like i sayd, im very happy with the perf. increase. (finally i can use NGU AA at med. without going over teh 40% GPU usage mark)

greetz

EDIT:

allmost forgot, The stuttering and such also happens when i just move the mouse down to the seekbar, but do NOT actually seek..just bringing the seekbar up, most of the times makes the Video start to stutter and the above described things start to happen.. (in my last post).

Last edited by BetA13; 13th September 2017 at 10:19.
BetA13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 12:20   #45570  |  Link
imhh11

Quote:
I just watched 'The Martian' with a blu-ray player and with MadVR+MPC-HC, and man the difference is big. With the blu-ray player the Martian landscape, soil, looks vibrant red, and the colours of the space suits pop. It looks great. With madVR the desert colours are brownish -doesn't even look like Mars, more like Arizona or something. And the colours don't pop.
I've tried many different configurations: 12 bit 4:4:4, 10 bit 4:2:2, 4:2:0 etc. And nothing. I am seeing the extra brightness, but the colours are just not right. Might be something about my TV - it's not a HDR10 model. It supports a wide colour gamut though, but it just reaches 400-450 nits.
Does it look like this:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/117264
imhh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 14:10   #45571  |  Link
kalston

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhh11 View Post
I like the sharpness of the UHD pic but the red tint not so much. Guess the HDR to SDR conversion isn't perfect. Or maybe it's supposed to look like that
kalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 14:14   #45572  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
nope, using windows 7 here, so this option wouldnt work here anyway.
im using:

LAV: DXVA2 CB
MadVR: direct3D 11 presentation, present a frame for every sync, FSE Mode, enable windows overlay, with an CPU queue of 16 and GPU at 10.

The Problem does not go away when playing with these settings.. well, i could be thats its better in d3d9 mode.. not shure really, didnt have enough time to test it more..

not shure if this has something to do with it, but i get 1 frame repeat every 40 - 50 seconds, and NO matter what i try, this NEVER changes. looking at some different screenshots in here, 50 sec. is really bad..

But also, like i sayd, im very happy with the perf. increase. (finally i can use NGU AA at med. without going over teh 40% GPU usage mark)

greetz

EDIT:

allmost forgot, The stuttering and such also happens when i just move the mouse down to the seekbar, but do NOT actually seek..just bringing the seekbar up, most of the times makes the Video start to stutter and the above described things start to happen.. (in my last post).
Bringing up the seekbar makes madVR enter low-latency mode. It's not nice but possible that it might stutter there, but when the seekbar goes away, it should also at least then get back to smooth. Not sure why that doesn't seem to work for you. How are the queues looking in the OSD (Ctrl+J) after the seekbar is hidden again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalston View Post
I like the sharpness of the UHD pic but the red tint not so much. Guess the HDR to SDR conversion isn't perfect. Or maybe it's supposed to look like that
Mars is the red planet, after all. But seriously, it's hard to say how it's supposed to look like exactly.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 15:45   #45573  |  Link
enctac

Maybe problem with madVR 0.92.2. (Intel GPU only?)
"D3D11 fullscreen windowed" doesn't switch to 10bit.

Spec: i7-4702MQ(HD4600), Win10 Anniversary(not CU) https://pastebin.com/c2gKPbuA
(I know my display is 6bit+FRC.)
MPC-BE x86/x64 1.5.1 (build 2755) beta
LAV Filters 0.72.2.66-git (HW decode : none)

1. restore default settings.bat
2. "devices->properties->the native display bitdepth is:" : [10bit (or higher)]
3. "rendering->general settings->enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode" : [OFF]
4. "rendering->general settings->use Direct3D 11 for presentation(Windows 7 and newer)" : [ON]
5. play movie
6. switch to fullscreen
7. see OSD

Result:
madVR 0.92.1 -> D3D11 fullscreen windowed (10bit)
madVR 0.92.2 -> D3D11 fullscreen windowed (8bit) <- doesn't switch to 10bit

(But in this post, madVR0.92.2/Win10CU/GTX1080 works fine.)
enctac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 16:20   #45574  |  Link
mrmarioman

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Hard to say what it is. Do you have your GPU set to Adaptive Power? If not, try that. Also try disabling any 3rd party applications that might affect the GPU like GPU-Z or f.lux.

Not really.

Not sure how/why MPC-BE should make trouble here when PotPlayer doesn't. Usually with problems like this the media player isn't at fault. But I suppose there's always an exception to every rule.

What exactly does "lock up" mean in detail?

Known problem, to be fixed in 0.92.3.

There are many possible reasons why this could happen. Here are a couple of questions and comments:

1) When you say "blu-ray player" do you mean a 1080p Blu-Ray player and a 1080p Blu-Ray, or are we talking about UHD Blu-Ray? This is a really important difference, and missing in your post.

2) In your blu-ray player, can you choose different output settings, like RGB vs 4:2:0 vs 4:2:2 vs 4:4:4 etc? Can you try to see if any of them looks different, maybe nearer to what the PC outputs? If so, that might indicate that your TV might not handle one specific type of input as well as another. Otherwise, if all looks the same, we can probably rule out the TV as the guilty party here.

3) For a fair test, use the same HDMI port with the identical TV settings for both the blu-ray player and the PC.

4) In your PC, I (always) strongly recommend to use RGB output with 0-255 (Full) range. Try the madVR "use D3D11 for presentation" option and in the display properties tell madVR that your display supports 10bit. Finally, make sure that in your GPU control panel there are no funny color modifications, skin tone optimizations or other crap enabled.

5) Have you tried resetting madVR to default settings, just to be safe?

6) Do you have the OS setting "HDR and Advanced Color" turned on or off? Please make sure it's turned OFF, because it's a really bad option.

7) If all else fails, you could also try to let madVR convert the HDR content to SDR for you (using pixel shader math). It could look better or worse than what the Samsung does internally, when receiving HDR content. You can also try different "display peak nits" values.
I think I've tried most of that. I haven't set madvr to default values yet. I'll give it try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhh11 View Post
More or less. I've tried to capture it. But it doesn't show how it really looks.

Screenshot on PC, and my phone for the blu ray shot.

madVR (it looks much better than this, this looks washed out).

https://abload.de/img/mediaplayerclassicscrzlsx6.png

And this is blu ray.

https://imgur.com/flswrGb
Old 13th September 2017, 17:06   #45575  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Looks to me like you're playing a HDR movie without it actually being handled like HDR.
Old 13th September 2017, 19:28   #45576  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
I think I've tried most of that. I haven't set madvr to default values yet. I'll give it try.

More or less. I've tried to capture it. But it doesn't show how it really looks.

Screenshot on PC, and my phone for the blu ray shot.

madVR (it looks much better than this, this looks washed out).

https://abload.de/img/mediaplayerclassicscrzlsx6.png

And this is blu ray.

https://imgur.com/flswrGb
It's not possible to take HDR screen captures of movies/tv at the moment.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 20:12   #45577  |  Link
el Filou

Sorry for the slight off-topic, but has anyone ever had any issues with RGB Full over HDMI with NVIDIA and Creators Update?
I just updated to Windows 1703 and everything was fine until my display first changed from 59 to 50 Hz to watch some PAL TV. From that moment on, I couldn't get RGB Full to display correctly again no matter what: blacks are washed out and whites are clipped at the same time, and this happens everywhere in every app and content. It makes no sense, it looks like the GPU is applying some kind of positive offset to the values, how can blacks we washed out but whites clipped?
When I set the display to YCC or RGB Limited everything is fine again so this is really coming from the GPU display output stage.

I've searched all over the Web but I can't find descriptions of problems that match this specific behaviour.
I've deleted every trace of any NVIDIA driver and registry key using DDU, rebooted, and installed latest driver 385.41 (was using 384.94 before), but it's still exhibiting the same behaviour.
I haven't touched my TV or AVR settings, the only thing that has changed is Creators Update, and it's really weird that this only started the first time I changed refresh rate, up until that moment everything was displayed properly.
I'm using HDMI out, 8-bit, to an SDR TV via an HDMI 1.4 AVR setup as passthrough (no video processing).

If anyone has encountered this, it would be really nice to know what you did to fix it. I'm running with RGB Limited in the meantime but this is giving me a headache...
Old 13th September 2017, 20:20   #45578  |  Link
Asmodian

I am running the Creators Update with Nvidia and use HDMI out to my TV. RGB Full works well for me.
Old 13th September 2017, 23:01   #45579  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Sorry for the slight off-topic, but has anyone ever had any issues with RGB Full over HDMI with NVIDIA and Creators Update?
I just updated to Windows 1703 and everything was fine until my display first changed from 59 to 50 Hz to watch some PAL TV. From that moment on, I couldn't get RGB Full to display correctly again no matter what: blacks are washed out and whites are clipped at the same time, and this happens everywhere in every app and content. It makes no sense, it looks like the GPU is applying some kind of positive offset to the values, how can blacks we washed out but whites clipped?
When I set the display to YCC or RGB Limited everything is fine again so this is really coming from the GPU display output stage.

I've searched all over the Web but I can't find descriptions of problems that match this specific behaviour.
I've deleted every trace of any NVIDIA driver and registry key using DDU, rebooted, and installed latest driver 385.41 (was using 384.94 before), but it's still exhibiting the same behaviour.
I haven't touched my TV or AVR settings, the only thing that has changed is Creators Update, and it's really weird that this only started the first time I changed refresh rate, up until that moment everything was displayed properly.
I'm using HDMI out, 8-bit, to an SDR TV via an HDMI 1.4 AVR setup as passthrough (no video processing).

If anyone has encountered this, it would be really nice to know what you did to fix it. I'm running with RGB Limited in the meantime but this is giving me a headache...
There are some issues with 385.41 (no 12bits in custom modes), so I reverted to 385.28. I suggest you try that version and see if it helps.

Even if you use DDU, select custom install during installation of 385.28 and check the option to clean install.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 23:18   #45580  |  Link
el Filou

I did that.
When I updated from Windows 1607 I was running 384.94, which I never had any problem with, and the issue started with that same driver. Afterwards I tried updating to 385.41 which didn't fix it, then I cleaned everything with DDU and then reinstalled 385.41 using "Perform clean install".
As the problem first happened with 384.94, I don't think 385.41 is the cause.

Will try 385.28 anyway tomorrow when I have time.

Edit: also, the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" doesn't show the issue, which means the card is correctly outputting in RGB Full when Windows is using its basic "software" video driver.

Last edited by el Filou; 13th September 2017 at 23:23.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling