Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Programming and Hacking > Development

Old 18th May 2011, 21:14   #261  |  Link
Dogway

Thanks! Hope a stable release soon. Maybe is not your intention, but would be cool to acept .avs sources in a future I have like 5 different programs only for audio lol
Old 18th May 2011, 21:29   #262  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogway View Post
Thanks! Hope a stable release soon. Maybe is not your intention, but would be cool to acept .avs sources in a future I have like 5 different programs only for audio lol
Well, Avisyth is mainly a video editor and frame-server, so it's a bit out of scope for my little audio converter.

But if you can name a simple CLI tool that can dump the audio stream from an Avisynth file to an uncompressed Wave file, I will look into it

[EDIT]

Okay, found "avs2wav.exe". So you can expect AVS input soon...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 18th May 2011 at 22:20.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 23:26   #263  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

New experimental snapshot available:

This version adds support for Avisynth input (of course audio only!). I'm using a stripped-down/cleaned-up version of avs2wav for this purpose. I also updated avs2wav to support Unicode file names (src), but unfortunately there is a strange issue with AVIFileOpenW(). When passing a Unicode file name, it will succeed to open the AVS file (even when file doesn't exist!), but will later fail to find any streams. I don't know if this is a bug in Windows or some mistake on my side. I also checked out the native Avisynth API, but apparently it doesn't support Unicode strings at all. Looks like a lost cause...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 21st May 2011 at 15:05.
Old 21st May 2011, 15:05   #264  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

New experimental snapshot available:

This is a bugfix release: Before the Nero AAC options was not grayed out correctly, if the Nero AAC encoder is missing and Nero AAC notifications are disabled.
As a result the user could select Nero AAC as encoder even if it wasn't available. In this case LameXP would crash after starting the encode...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 29th May 2011 at 17:19.
Old 25th May 2011, 19:19   #265  |  Link
Dogway

Its strange I tried loading an .avs and when encoding the process stayed idle at decoding stage. My script is nice because it could play on MPC...
but even a
nicac3source("source.ac3")
didn't work. Do I need huge spare memory on my HDD?

Last edited by Dogway; 25th May 2011 at 19:38.
Dogway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 19:53   #266  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Its strange I tried loading an .avs and when encoding the process stayed idle at decoding stage. My script is nice because it could play on MPC... but even a nicac3source("source.ac3") didn't work.
Can you post your complete Avisynth script and provide a link to the source audio file that was used in the script?

In my tests I did use NiceAC3Source() too and it worked fine for me

Quote:
Do I need huge spare memory on my HDD
You will, of course, need enough HDD space to dump the complete audio track to an uncompressed Wave file.

However the maximum size you will ever need is 4 GB, simply because RIFF/Wave files cannot grow larger than 4 GB and my tool will fail in that case

(I know that there is the RF64 format, which can be used to circumvent the 4 GB limit, but I current have no plans to support it)
Old 25th May 2011, 20:12   #267  |  Link
Dogway

Its strange because I tested with megui too and it also failed. This never happened to me so I think the cause could be I recently upgraded to avisynth 2.58, by some reason I always sticked to 2.57, maybe this is why.
Now Im back to 2.57 and uninstalled megui, I will install it again and recheck. Source is a 2h ac3 so I think in this case lameXP wont work.
Old 25th May 2011, 20:21   #268  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Its strange because I tested with megui too and it also failed. This never happened to me so I think the cause could be I recently upgraded to avisynth 2.58, by some reason I always sticked to 2.57, maybe this is why.
This sounds like something is wrong with your Avisynth. I highly suggest to make a clean un-install of Avisynth and all the plug-in's!

Then re-install the latest stable Avisynth (v2.58) and add only the plug-in you need for the test...

Quote:
Now Im back to 2.57 and uninstalled megui, I will install it again and recheck. Source is a 2h ac3 so I think in this case lameXP wont work.
If that's a 5.1 channel source, then it can be problematic. Two hours of uncompressed 6 channel audio may easily exceed the 4 GB limit.

Still 'avs2wav' wouldn't simply stall in that situation. It would dump to the end of the stream and then fail to close/finalize the Wave file properly...

(It seems many applications will actually ignore the size field in the RIFF/Wave header and play all the way to the end of the physical file)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 25th May 2011 at 20:34.
Old 25th May 2011, 20:36   #269  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

LoRd_MuldeR, have you seen this topic started by Kurtnoise: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=161383

Cheers
Old 25th May 2011, 20:41   #270  |  Link
Dogway

yep, there's something bad going on. Fresh Megui Install didn't work with .avs, instead it worked with the .ac3 but I normally prefer to tell the encoder how to downmix the channels than being it done blindly.
That depicts an error with avisynth probably.
BeHappy also triggered an error: Error: System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

Last edited by Dogway; 25th May 2011 at 21:08.
Dogway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 21:10   #271  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
LoRd_MuldeR, have you seen this topic started by Kurtnoise: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=161383
Interesting. But the 'libav' patch alone isn't much of a use for me. If somebody makes a lightweight CLI en/decoder from that, I'd be happy to include it...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 27th May 2011 at 14:16.
Old 27th May 2011, 06:47   #272  |  Link
nitinpushpan

Found a bug. (I think)

I'm using v4.01 Final-1, Build 418 [2011-04-04] of LameXP. Recently while dragging & dropping a folder (containing flac files), I got a files rejected message (which is normal because it contained a album art jpg). I then noticed that the explorer window that I dragged the folder from would remain frozen until I clicked OK on the 'Files Rejected' message box.

I'm using 64 bit version of Windows OS. The output folders setting was set to same as the input folder & compression settings was set to lame with variable bitrate settings.
nitinpushpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 10:41   #273  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinpushpan View Post
I'm using v4.01 Final-1, Build 418 [2011-04-04] of LameXP. Recently while dragging & dropping a folder (containing flac files), I got a files rejected message (which is normal because it contained a album art jpg). I then noticed that the explorer window that I dragged the folder from would remain frozen until I clicked OK on the 'Files Rejected' message box.
It's not really a bug. It's by design

The files are added from the Drag&Drop event handler routine. Obviously the Explorer doesn't respond until the event handler has returned.

Didn't know that this is an issue, but it was easy to implement a workaround. The files are now added in an asynchronous way, so the event handler can return ASAP.

Please try build #552, which will be available from build #540 (or any other post-#418 build) via Auto-Update shortly. [UPDATE] It is available now. [/UPDATE]

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 27th May 2011 at 13:29.
Old 29th May 2011, 17:17   #274  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.02 Beta-5:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lame...A)/2011-05-29/

Probably the last v4.02 beta release. Please report any problems as soon as possible
Old 29th May 2011, 18:46   #275  |  Link
digitaltoast

Now this is strange. A while back, I had this problem with the "output directory" taking a long time to come up. With this new static binary, where the command prompt is in the background window, this is happening again.
You click "output directory", it hangs, empty, for exactly 15 seconds, then directories appear and there is a spinner for 5 seconds, then you can use that tab.

Fast PC, plenty of RAM, nothing else running. Is there anything I can do to help diagnose why this is?
digitaltoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 19:03   #276  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaltoast View Post
Now this is strange. A while back, I had this problem with the "output directory" taking a long time to come up. With this new static binary, where the command prompt is in the background window, this is happening again.
You click "output directory", it hangs, empty, for exactly 15 seconds, then directories appear and there is a spinner for 5 seconds, then you can use that tab.

Fast PC, plenty of RAM, nothing else running. Is there anything I can do to help diagnose why this is?
This is because the QFileSystemModel takes a moment to initialize. It probably depends on the number of files/subdirs in the initial directory.

As QFileSystemModel is part of the Qt Framework (not my own code!) there is not much I can do about it, unfortunately

Seem the problem is known though:
http://www.qtcentre.org/threads/3893...ndows-machines

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 29th May 2011 at 19:10.
Old 30th May 2011, 20:12   #277  |  Link
Raen

Hey there! Been a loyal user of LameXP for some years now and glad that you continue to regularly update it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
I could make the "add files" dialog remember the last folder used, yes! Yet another entry on my TODO list
Yes, that would be some useful thing to have

Quote:
The Cue Sheet import wizard was added
Glad you added full CUE support, because I experienced some bizarre things with CUE files.
Supposedly they are supported by LameXP, but dragging one CUE file to LameXP gives an error.

Or LameXP (v4.01) doesn't support CUE files of FLAC files?
If not, are they supported with the new Cue Sheet import wizard?

I am using CUETools for this splitting job (mostly with FLAC files), and converting with LameXP afterwards.

I also have some slowness when opening the "Output Directory" tab for the 1st time after running LameXP, about 3-5 seconds until it opens.
Then, every time I click "+" to explore a folder, to see its sub-folders, another 3-5 seconds of hanging.
But if I go to a folder that i explored before in the same LameXP session, no hanging happens, it shows the sub-folders instantly.

At least I'm happy that the "Output Directory" tab remembers the last folder used, even in the previous LameXP session.

Now, I've some bug reports and requests (some of them, features that should return from the v3.18 version):
  • M3U playlists in "Artist - Album.m3u" format.

Something that v3.18 was cool at, and LameXP v4.01 is creating M3U playlists in "Album.m3u" format.
  • ":" should be converted to " - " in the M3U's filename.

LameXP v4.01 is replacing ":" with space or simply eliminating it.
    (Also featured in v3.18)
  • M3U playlists made by LameXP after converting don't recognize/open files with special characters like accents ("é", "ã", "ö", ...), "ß", "ø", etc in their filename.

Maybe creating M3U8 (unicode) playlists instead of M3U solves the problem?
  • Button to copy file's album information to "Metadata" tab, like v3.18 had.
  • "Genre" in the "Metadata" tab should be editable/writable if pretended, just like "artist" or "album" field.

Some tracks have more than 1 genre or genres that are not listed.
  • Option to hide/disable the DropBox (maybe under "Tools"->"Configuration" similar to the other options there).

Sometimes the DropBox gets in the way when you have multiple windows open for example.
  • Option to edit destination filenames.

In "Source Files" tab you have the "Title" column, then the "Full Path" column.
    Maybe putting a new "Destination File" column between these already existing two, would do the trick.

It could be directly editable/writable or should have some formula/parameters, like if the track title is "X", then the destination file name would be "01. X.mp3", where "01" is the track number.

The destination filename creation parameters should be editable, like for example EAC (Exact Audio Copy) has, or something like LameXP has in the "Advanced Options" tab in "Custom Encoder Parameters"

I suggest this because I often edit beforehand one by one the filenames of the files I want to convert, so LameXP converts and playlists them with the filenames that I pretend, because LameXP names the converted files according to the original filenames by default.

If this feature was implemented, users like me that like to have files by a certain filename standard, would save a lot of work.
  • Track details window should have FULL bitrate, encoder, etc info just like v3.18 had.

v3.18 VS v4.01
    VS
  • If minimized, LameXP goes back to the "Source Files" tab when you open/restore its window.
    It should remember which tab you were using before minimizing.

Also, when I have the time, I'm looking forward to do a Portuguese (PT-PT) translation for LameXP

Keep up the good work!
Raen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 21:21   #278  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raen View Post
Glad you added full CUE support, because I experienced some bizarre things with CUE files.
Supposedly they are supported by LameXP, but dragging one CUE file to LameXP gives an error.

Or LameXP (v4.01) doesn't support CUE files of FLAC files?
If not, are they supported with the new Cue Sheet import wizard?

I am using CUETools for this splitting job (mostly with FLAC files), and converting with LameXP afterwards.
LameXP v4.01 does not support CUE files. LameXP v3.xx only had very limited/bad support for CUE files - splitting was not implemented at all!

Starting with LameXP v4.02 there is a CUE import wizard, which finally supports splitting the input files according to the information from CUE sheet.

Also LameXP does support any type of input file from CUE sheets, including Wave, MP3 and FLAC files.

However I don't know what the correct syntax for FLAC files in a CUE sheet is. Actaully I think using FLAC files as a source in a CUE sheet is non-standard!

Nonetheless currently LameXP will accept FLAC files from "FILE <Path> WAVE" as well as "FILE <Path> MP3".

Quote:
I also have some slowness when opening the "Output Directory" tab for the 1st time after running LameXP, about 3-5 seconds until it opens.
Then, every time I click "+" to explore a folder, to see its sub-folders, another 3-5 seconds of hanging.
But if I go to a folder that i explored before in the same LameXP session, no hanging happens, it shows the sub-folders instantly.
Obviously the first time a folder is accessed there is a delay, because the folder has to be scanned.

If you access the folder again, the info is already in the cache...

Quote:
M3U playlists in "Artist - Album.m3u" format.

Something that v3.18 was cool at, and LameXP v4.01 is creating M3U playlists in "Album.m3u" format.
Actually the format should be "<Artist> - <Album>.m3u", but only if both, the album artist and the album name, are known.

Are you sure you entered this info on the "Meta Data" tab?

Quote:
M3U playlists made by LameXP after converting don't recognize/open files with special characters like accents ("é", "ã", "ö", ...), "ß", "ø", etc in their filename.

Maybe creating M3U8 (unicode) playlists instead of M3U solves the problem?
LameXP v4.xx offers full Unicode support. Playlists are exported in the UTF-8 format. Probably the extension should be .m3u8 though...

Quote:
Button to copy file's album information to "Metadata" tab, like v3.18 had.
Added to my "TODO" list

Quote:
"Genre" in the "Metadata" tab should be editable/writable if pretended, just like "artist" or "album" field.
The "genre" field on the "Meta Data" tab is editable, isn't it?

Quote:
Some tracks have more than 1 genre or genres that are not listed.
The available genres are pre-defined. I simply used the ones that are supported by LAME. I think these are the ones defined by ID3.

Quote:
Option to hide/disable the DropBox (maybe under "Tools"->"Configuration" similar to the other options there).
You can close the Dropbox by right-click, as is indicated by the tool tip.

Quote:
Sometimes the DropBox gets in the way when you have multiple windows open for example.
LameXP should hide the Dropbox when a modal dialog pops up. I think there were some improvements in v4.02.

This of course applies only to LameXP's own dialogs. The Dropbox will stay on top of all other apps...

Quote:
Option to edit destination filenames.

In "Source Files" tab you have the "Title" column, then the "Full Path" column.
Maybe putting a new "Destination File" column between these already existing two, would do the trick.
Renaming the input files is not currently planned. Would require quite some changes - maybe in a later version

Quote:
Track details window should have FULL bitrate, encoder, etc info just like v3.18 had.
That info is currently not detected in LameXP v4.xx, but I may have a look at this.

Quote:
If minimized, LameXP goes back to the "Source Files" tab when you open/restore its window.
Not quite sure why that happens, but I can reproduce. Investigating...

[UPDATE] If found the cause: The 'show' event is not only triggered when the window is shown, but also when the window is restored!

I have just implemented a workaround. So from now on we only go back to the "Source Files" tab when the window is shown. [/UPDATE]

Quote:
Also, when I have the time, I'm looking forward to do a Portuguese (PT-PT) translation for LameXP
New translations are always welcome

Please have a look at the translator guidelines before you start:
http://lamexp.git.sourceforge.net/gi...Translate.html

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 30th May 2011 at 23:52.
Old 31st May 2011, 18:30   #279  |  Link
Raen

Quote:
Obviously the first time a folder is accessed there is a delay, because the folder has to be scanned.

If you access the folder again, the info is already in the cache...
That was my thought, but when comparing to v3.18, it is very slow.
When browsing through folders in v3.18, they open instantly, there is no waiting time.

This delay, is it something related to Qt?

Quote:
Actually the format should be "<Artist> - <Album>.m3u", but only if both, the album artist and the album name, are known.

Are you sure you entered this info on the "Meta Data" tab?
Yes, still LameXP v4.xx is outputting the playlists with "<Album>.m3u" format, the "<Artist> - " part in the filename is missing. Something must be broken along the way.

Only rarely I do not enter an Artist into the "Meta Data" tab, and every time I use LameXP v4 I've to add "<Artist> - " into the M3U filename manually after converting, so I'm sure of this.

Quote:
LameXP v4.xx offers full Unicode support. Playlists are exported in the UTF-8 format. Probably the extension should be .m3u8 though...
Yes, that's correct. I did a test and converted a track with special characters in the filename and generated a .m3u playlist.
Then tried to run the playlist file and nothing, so I renamed the extension to .m3u8 and it went nicely, recognizing and playing the track.

You should fix this playlist extension problem then

Quote:
The "genre" field on the "Meta Data" tab is editable, isn't it?

The available genres are pre-defined. I simply used the ones that are supported by LAME. I think these are the ones defined by ID3.
Yes, it is editable, I meant it more like "writable", just like "Artist" and "Album" meta fields where you can type on them, you are not forced to choose between some pre-defined values or leave it empty.

I use a workaround for this: edit the source files' genre outside of LameXP, and then leave it blank ("unspecified") on LameXP's "Meta Data" tab, it copies the source file's info when converting.

It's just that some genres like "Doom Metal", "Grindcore", etc are not present in the pre-defined list and if one could type them in the field, that would be great.
It was always a thing that bothered me, even in the older releases before v4.xx.

Quote:
Renaming the input files is not currently planned. Would require quite some changes - maybe in a later version
When you say "Renaming the input files", you are saying "naming output files", right? That was the idea.

Last edited by Raen; 31st May 2011 at 18:35.
Raen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 19:02   #280  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Build #558 should fix many of your issues:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lame...A)/2011-05-31/

Please note the new context menu in the "Meta Info" dialog window!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raen View Post
That was my thought, but when comparing to v3.18, it is very slow.
When browsing through folders in v3.18, they open instantly, there is no waiting time.

This delay, is it something related to Qt?
Well, it's not related to Qt in general. But to the QFileSystemModel provided by the Qt Framework - which is a bit slow (on Windows).

Of course I could implement my own (stripped down and hopefully faster) Qt-based model for this purpose. But it would be like re-inventing the wheel.

Implementing a file system model unavoidable means that you have to deal with low-level functions of the OS.

Doing this for a single platform (e.g. Windows only) shouldn't be that hard. But the existing QFileSytemModel already works on ALL platforms...

Quote:
Yes, still LameXP v4.xx is outputting the playlists with "<Album>.m3u" format, the "<Artist> - " part in the filename is missing. Something must be broken along the way.

Only rarely I do not enter an Artist into the "Meta Data" tab, and every time I use LameXP v4 I've to add "<Artist> - " into the M3U filename manually after converting, so I'm sure of this.
I will check this again...

Quote:
Yes, that's correct. I did a test and converted a track with special characters in the filename and generated a .m3u playlist.
Then tried to run the playlist file and nothing, so I renamed the extension to .m3u8 and it went nicely, recognizing and playing the track.

You should fix this playlist extension problem then
If other applications don't read the file correctly, then I cannot do much.

IMHO these applications should check for the UTF-8 BOM and treat the file like UTF-8, if the BOM is present.

But if changing the file extension helps, I might do.

However people that only know M3U files will surely be confused about M3U8 files

Quote:
Yes, it is editable, I meant it more like "writable", just like "Artist" and "Album" meta fields where you can type on them, you are not forced to choose between some pre-defined values or leave it empty.

I use a workaround for this: edit the source files' genre outside of LameXP, and then leave it blank ("unspecified") on LameXP's "Meta Data" tab, it copies the source file's info when converting.

It's just that some genres like "Doom Metal", "Grindcore", etc are not present in the pre-defined list and if one could type them in the field, that would be great.
It was always a thing that bothered me, even in the older releases before v4.xx.
I cannot support "custom" genres. As explained above, there are a number of pre-defined genres and you can only choose from these.

AFAIK the OGG and MP4 containers are more flexible here. But plain MP3 files use the more restricted ID3 tags to embed meta info...

See also:
http://pastie.org/private/tef4onaqdxvccj7riuecw

Quote:
When you say "Renaming the input files", you are saying "naming output files", right? That was the idea.
Correct.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 31st May 2011 at 21:20.

Tags
aac, aotuv, flac, lame, lamexp, mp3, mp4, ogg, oggenc, opus, vorbis