Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th February 2003, 02:02   #1  |  Link
headless chicken

Help burning 99min SVCDs

I have two files, one just under 90 minutes and the other one just over 90 minutes that I want to burn. I used DVD2SVCD to rip the DVD to MPEG2, but I also have bin/cue files which the guide at doom9.org recommended burning instead.

I used the Nero's overburn and burned 1 of the bin/cue sheets. The disc will play on my DVD player, but it's very choppy. Every second the sound and audio pause about five times (although it never stops...each second takes about 1.5 seconds to play), but there are a few seconds when it will play smoothly.

Is there another program that I could use to burn onto 99 minute media?

The website where I bought the media from warns that the process doesn't work if using Nero on a Liton drive (what I have), but their other recommended programs are crashing on me.

http://www.allmediaoutlet.com/9099minutes.html

They recommend using CDRWIN, Discjuggler, Discsafe, Simdisc. Which of these would be best to burn a cue sheet onto 99 minute disc? I'd really appreciate any help you can give me!
headless chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2003, 14:12   #2  |  Link
htc10825
Gladiator

many DVD player cannot read the 99min media error free. So at fir make sure that your dvd player can read such media smoothly. To verify it just put a "good" burned 99min cd-r with svcd video into a new cd-rom driver.
How to burn a 99min cd-r to get maximal quality:
1. burning speed at 4x or 2x
2. burn from image files (.bin/.cue) produced by VCDEasy,
3. mux the mpeg file file with bbMpeg, for NTSC-Film use pulldown
4. use only good burner(Plextor etc.) and good media (verbatim etc.)
Old 16th February 2003, 04:01   #3  |  Link
headless chicken

I don't think it was the media. I have a good DVD player (Panasonic RV31) and a great burner (Liteon 48246S).

I cut a clip of the muxed file that DVD2SVCD generated and put it on CDRW to test on the standalone. I had the same problems with freezing up...

Someone suggested that I should lower my max average bitrate and increase the max and min bitrates...any thoughts or suggestions on that?

(My standalone player doesn't play SVCDs without the VCD header trick or in this case, I used MPGAV instead of MPEG2)
Old 17th February 2003, 16:18   #4  |  Link
htc10825
Gladiator

Aha... "cut a clip"!!!
If you cut a clip the cutter(cutting utility) does usally a demux and remux the mpeg files(intern, invisable for user). In many cases the cutting utility did a bad job and the result was unusable(jerky playback). So it is necessary to demux(TMPG) and then remux(bbMpeg) them again.
It is important to learn the fine arts of bbMpeg(for muxing) and NOT RELY on the newbie progie such as "DVD2SVCD".
Old 17th February 2003, 19:04   #5  |  Link
Bubba

headless chicken,

I have 3 similar point likes you:
1. I also used DVD2SVCD to convert DVD to a huge Cue/Bin that need 99min CD (I specifically change the rate bit tab in DVD2SVCD to produce 99min CD by enter 990 instead 740 or 800)
2. I also bought 99min CDR from AllMediaOutlet
3. I also have a LiteOn burner (mine is a 32x10x40).

If DVD2SVCD doesn't complain anything, and create me a huge Cue/Bin file, than my experience is that I always have a successful overburn with Nero. While burning, I always used 8x speed, and I usually don't touch my computer to ensure a good burn (because 99min CDs are not cheap and I don't to waste any).

I guess I really don't have a good answer for you, but Nero should be able to do an overburn for 99min CDR, just slow it down. By the way, the only difference I have with you are the DVD players (I have a SAMPO 611, and an APEX 1500), and both play my 99min CDs just fine.
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2003, 19:09   #6  |  Link
Bubba

headless chicken,

To follow up, the last time I did this 99min conversion is last week, when I ripped the first episode of Band Of Brothers (I think it's CURRAHEE) which is about 1hr13min, which force me to use a 99min CD, and it comes out just fine. I chose the audio to 192, and 1 subtitle (French).
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2003, 20:37   #7  |  Link
headless chicken

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I've done some more testing with sample clips on CDRW, and found that it wasn't the 99 minute media that's giving me a problem, but the SVCD format. Although I checked "use MPEGAV" when converting with DVD2SVCD, I think that only applied to the final bin/cue image. I decided to simple multiplex the muxed file in TMPGEnc into MPEG-1 VCD format, and now my burner plays the file fine.
Old 18th February 2003, 16:10   #8  |  Link
htc10825
Gladiator

99min cd-r: not necessary

recently I've encoded a SVCD "Shakespeare in Love" 1h55min mit two language tracks(engl./germ.) and two switchable subtitles (en/ge)on one 80 CD-R. Encoder: CCESP v2.50 1-Pass VBR with many optimization.
htc10825 is offline   Reply With Quote