Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 10th March 2006, 01:20   #1  |  Link
mikemcc

Audio delay / lip sync

Can anyone please tell me the best way to measure audio delay accurately during / before a DVD rip ? I'd happily use DVD Decrypter but, eg, it says the delay is 371 ms whereas I have to enter a 200 ms adjustment in Tmpg Xpress to create an mpeg2 file which has perfect lip sync using PowerDvd or WMP.

Perhaps I need to understand what audio delay is a function of. Thanks for any help.
mikemcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2006, 05:25   #2  |  Link
plomon
123kid

rip a small part of audio using Rejig(download here). it tells you the audio delay in it's file name itself.
Old 11th March 2006, 13:49   #3  |  Link
mikemcc

Thanks Plomon. Looks like good advice; I've used ReJig once and it worked fine. You don't even have to start the rip - it specifies the delay immediately you specify the VOB. I'll update this thread only if I find it doesn't work all the time. Hope you're enjoying the cricket.
Old 12th April 2006, 21:24   #4  |  Link
j7n

I have the same problem. Audio is usually delayed by 2-8 video frames or smth like that. Where does exactly ReJig display the delay? Do I need the full DVD to detect it, is there a way I can do it from MPEG2 without the *.ifo files?
j7n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2006, 21:38   #5  |  Link
mikemcc

Sorry, I should have posted back, saying that ReJig *doesn't always* provide the answer, but did help me. I can't get back into it now, but my notes tell me that in ReJig I selected:
File mode, add, select VOB, done
and it showed me the audio delay.

I have always *imagined* that you need to read from the DVD to find the delay, as the delay "emerges" only when you rip from a DVD. But I'm no great expert.

Hope that helps a bit.

Last edited by mikemcc; 12th April 2006 at 21:41.
Old 12th April 2006, 22:03   #6  |  Link
j7n

Forgive me if I missed something but I can't see the delay value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcc
I have always *imagined* that you need to read from the DVD to find the delay, as the delay "emerges" only when you rip from a DVD.
The VOB files I have play fine with Elecard + AC3Filter. So I assume all the required information is already in the MPEG-2 stream.

After conversion to X264 with VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2.2542 a random negative audio delay is introduced. It's like there was no audio for a few frames at the beginning. There was one example where no delay ocurred (I don't know why), AC3 bitrate was 192 kBit/s in this case.

I don't mind using a hex editor and a calculator rather than a one click solution. It'll be alot faster that delaying the audio a bit, testing carefully, delaying again, etc.

Thanks for any comments in this matter.

Last edited by j7n; 12th April 2006 at 22:07.
Old 3rd May 2006, 13:56   #7  |  Link
mikemcc

Sorry not to get back sooner. In ReJig:
Select file mode, add
Select VOB with audio, done
See the audio delay
Hope that helps
Old 20th June 2006, 23:11   #8  |  Link
j7n

You were right, MikeMCC.
It appears that the delay I was talking about was caused by VFW compatibility mode for H.264. I read about it here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=99033