Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 25th February 2010, 21:35   #9781  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
It won't though. Lossy to lossless is a lossy process.
You're of course correct. I should have said will retain MORE of the mathematical quality of the original because there's no data discarded for compression purposes.
Old 26th February 2010, 20:35   #9782  |  Link
mrr19121970

I'll just go E-AC3 to PCM. It's quick & easy. Space is not an issue.

On a side note, I noticed the following:

Converting to DTSHD-MA saved about 40% in space over the .WAV produced by eac3to. For some strange reason converting to DTSHD actually produced files larger than DTSHD-MA.
Old 26th February 2010, 20:41   #9783  |  Link
jj666

DTS-HD HR is CBR, DTS-HD MA is VBR, I suppose the compression is better that's all.

Cheers,

-jj-
Old 5th March 2010, 01:28   #9784  |  Link
deado

With the Lord of the Rings trilogy just announced as DTS-HD MA 6.1, I'm guessing it will be just like the Harry Potters and The Number 23 where it has a DTS-ES core and the MA information is not extracted as 6.1 by eac3to, but only played properly when decoded by a player such as the PS3.

Is there any way that eac3to can convert such tracks to 6.1 FLAC? Or are we simply limited to 5.1 for those?
Old 5th March 2010, 02:41   #9785  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

deado - are you using the Arcsoft DTS decoder?
Old 5th March 2010, 03:13   #9786  |  Link
deado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector.Gadget View Post
deado - are you using the Arcsoft DTS decoder?
Yes I am, version 1.1.0.7. I just tried with Terminator 2 Skynet and eac3to only detects 5.1 channels, not 6.1. So there seems to be no way to properly extract the 6.1?

Last edited by deado; 5th March 2010 at 03:15.
Old 5th March 2010, 03:48   #9787  |  Link
Snowknight26

If eac3to detects it as having 5.1 channels, it's 5.1 channel audio. The ArcSoft decoder isn't used until you actually start decoding the audio.
Old 5th March 2010, 07:26   #9788  |  Link
deado

Hmm well that's false advertising stating 6.1 all over the back cover... that goes for both Lionsgate (T2 Skynet) and Warner (HP 1& 2 ultimate, Number 23, LOTR trilogy).

They should say 5.1 ES not 6.1. X-men 3 seems to be pretty much the only BD which is marked as 6.1 which is actually encoded as such.

Here I thought I might have been able to watch LOTR trilogy in 8-channel FLAC, rather than 6-channel FLAC
Old 5th March 2010, 12:18   #9789  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by deado View Post
Hmm well that's false advertising stating 6.1 all over the back cover... that goes for both Lionsgate (T2 Skynet) and Warner (HP 1& 2 ultimate, Number 23, LOTR trilogy).

They should say 5.1 ES not 6.1. X-men 3 seems to be pretty much the only BD which is marked as 6.1 which is actually encoded as such.

Here I thought I might have been able to watch LOTR trilogy in 8-channel FLAC, rather than 6-channel FLAC
There are two kinds of DTS-ES, and eac3to report like:

1) DTS-ES, 6.1 channels
Called DTS-ES discrete, and the Back Center is encoded digitally like a independent channel.
ArcSoft decode this like 6.1 channels

2) DTS-ES, 5.1 channels
Here the Back Center channel is encoded in Back Left/ Back Right channels in analog mode. This is DTS ES-matrixed.
When you send this stream (SPDIF or HDMI) to a receiver DTS-ES compliant you can obtain a 6.1 output.
ArcSoft decode this like 5.1 wav, but the Back Center channel is still matrixed in Back channels.
When you send this wav (or Flac decoded) to a receiver like PCM 5.1 (only by HDMI) you can obtain a phantom Back Center channel.
Old 5th March 2010, 15:02   #9790  |  Link
deado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
There are two kinds of DTS-ES, and eac3to report like:

1) DTS-ES, 6.1 channels
Called DTS-ES discrete, and the Back Center is encoded digitally like a independent channel.
ArcSoft decode this like 6.1 channels

2) DTS-ES, 5.1 channels
Here the Back Center channel is encoded in Back Left/ Back Right channels in analog mode. This is DTS ES-matrixed.
When you send this stream (SPDIF or HDMI) to a receiver DTS-ES compliant you can obtain a 6.1 output.
ArcSoft decode this like 5.1 wav, but the Back Center channel is still matrixed in Back channels.
When you send this wav (or Flac decoded) to a receiver like PCM 5.1 (only by HDMI) you can obtain a phantom Back Center channel.
Hm, damn well I'm just outputting over analog with madFLAC -> ffdshow -> Reclock WASAPI so is there anything in ffdshow that can do the same thing as receivers do to obtain that rear channel?
Old 5th March 2010, 20:57   #9791  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by deado View Post
Hm, damn well I'm just outputting over analog with madFLAC -> ffdshow -> Reclock WASAPI so is there anything in ffdshow that can do the same thing as receivers do to obtain that rear channel?
over analog? I don't know sound cards with 6.1 output (only 5.1 or 7.1)

AFAIK ffdshow can't extract the back center channel.
Old 6th March 2010, 00:26   #9792  |  Link
deado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
over analog? I don't know sound cards with 6.1 output (only 5.1 or 7.1)

AFAIK ffdshow can't extract the back center channel.
It's 7.1... but I was using the eac3to -double7 command to double the rear channel on the couple of 7-channel FLAC files I have (X-Men 3 and Crash Australian version), to get 8-channel FLAC.

But anything which isn't originally discrete 7-channel and only 6-channel with ES it seems I'm out of luck
Old 6th March 2010, 20:06   #9793  |  Link
Snowknight26

Hmm, after audio overlaps are detected, it seems that eac3to no longer runs audio encoding concurrently. Say extract and convert two DTS-HD MA tracks to FLAC and both of them have audio overlaps, you'd expect eac3to to run the 2nd pass, fix the overlaps, and do the conversion of both at the same time, but the 2nd track's conversion begins only after the first one has finished. :|
Old 7th March 2010, 10:41   #9794  |  Link
utenteanonimo64

DTS 96/24 decoding

Sorry if this has been covered already but this thread is overwhelming to search.

Code:
eac3to v3.17
command line: "c:\program files (x86)\eac3to\eac3to.exe"  track01.dts "01 - .flac"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DTS-96/24, 5.1 channels, 0:03:12, 24 bits, 1510kbps, 96khz
The ArcSoft and Sonic decoders don't seem to work, will use libav instead.
Decoding with libav/ffmpeg...
Remapping channels...
Reducing depth from 64 to 24 bits...
Encoding FLAC with libFlac...
Creating file "01 - .flac"...
eac3to processing took 24 seconds.
Done.
The FLAC file I get is 48KHz not 96KHz. Is this normal? Why? (I suppose because only the core DTS is decoded). Do I need one of the external decoders to decode the full DTS stream and maintain 96KHz?

Thanks.

Appendix: I have downloaded and installed a trial copy of ArcSoft TotalMedia. eac3to can't find the DTS decoder even after adding the ArcSoft decoder directory to the Windows PATH variable (which by the way it is not what the first post says but it's "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcSoft\TotalMedia Theatre 3\Codec".
Any help on this additional problem?

Last edited by utenteanonimo64; 7th March 2010 at 13:47. Reason: more problems!
Old 7th March 2010, 17:11   #9795  |  Link
TinTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by utenteanonimo64 View Post
The FLAC file I get is 48KHz not 96KHz. Is this normal? Why? (I suppose because only the core DTS is decoded). Do I need one of the external decoders to decode the full DTS stream and maintain 96KHz?
Yes. You need to use the ArcSoft or Sonic decoder for full 96/24 decoding.
Old 7th March 2010, 20:24   #9796  |  Link
utenteanonimo64

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTime View Post
Yes. You need to use the ArcSoft or Sonic decoder for full 96/24 decoding.
OK Thanks. So now I know I need to make this ArcSoft decoder work. Any suggestions? I am using Windows 7 64bit and I installed the trial version of TotalMedia Theatre 3. As far as I can see the DTS decoder is in this folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcSoft\TotalMedia Theatre 3\Codec

and

dtsdecoderdll.dll is version 1.1.0.7 which according to madshi's instructions should be compatible with eac3to.

As I said I have added the above directory to PATH enviroment variable and I have also copied all dts dlls into the eac3to directory. But if I run "eac3to -test" eac3to cannot find any external decoder. Is it because TMT is a trial version?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 7th March 2010, 20:33   #9797  |  Link
TinTime

Can't help you there I'm afraid - it just worked on my system (WinXP) without any fiddling about.

Try looking through this thread.
Old 7th March 2010, 20:33   #9798  |  Link
b66pak

look at this:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=148324
_
Old 7th March 2010, 23:24   #9799  |  Link
utenteanonimo64

Quote:
Originally Posted by b66pak View Post
Thanks! I followed the instructions in this message:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...99#post1255699

and it worked.

Old 9th March 2010, 17:15   #9800  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by honai View Post
A while back you mentioned that you were working or had implemented a plugin system for eac3to with support for plugging custom filters. Would that suit my needs (I'm a programmer myself)? Any documentation for it?
It's not ready yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambles View Post
i have the Freedom bluray set and i would like to remux the english versions but eac3to can't do it correctly, as the playlists use only parts of certain m2ts files. it's the only bluray where i've seen such playlists.
I was aware of that this in theory is possible, but I haven't seen such a Blu-Ray myself yet. Currently eac3to does not support this kind of Blu-Ray. I'd have to have such a full Blu-Ray myself, then I could add support for that. But honestly, just one Blu-Ray doing this is not enough to motivate me to work on implementing such a complicated thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtnoise View Post
any chance to update the lavc lib ? there are EAC3 Spectral & AAC LATM patches floating around in the FFmpeg-dev ML...
I should really do that, but I'm a bit afraid, because it will be quite a bit of work and I'll need to retest all libav decoders etc. Will come sooner or later, but not right now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorp View Post
A aesthetic bug I noticed is that eac3to reports the dialnorm setting different between Dolby and DTS. For a TrueHD track it might say -27dB (the DN setting), but for a DTS-MA track it says -4dB (the DN offset). It's unlikely the DTS-MA track was actually set 27dB lower than standard.
I've researched this. The AC3 and DTS specs are very kinda the opposite of each other in terms of dialnorm:

AC3: The dialnorm value tells us how much headroom there is between 100% volume and speech volume.
DTS: The dialnorm value tells us how much the decoder should lower volume.

Because of that a -27dB AC3 dialnorm value equals a -4dB DTS dialnorm value. Now of course eac3to could change the display of the dialnorm values, so that AC3 and DTS match. But I'm not sure if I should do that? What do you guys think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zn View Post
I was little bit inaccurate, libsox is library under LGPL, so it can be used
Oh, didn't know that - thanks! However, right now I don't feel the need to use sox, as eac3to's current resampling algorithm seems to work pretty well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACrowley View Post
Any News about the libav Lossless check failed on TrueHD Tracks with libavcodec ?
What news do you expect? Do a search in this thread. All has been explained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNein View Post
What is the status of the PGS subtitle issue regarding Decoder Time Stamp? Thanks.
Ehm, not fixed yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1ngp1ng View Post
i noticed that eac3to isn't capable of removing dialnorm from dts master tracks. is this a known issue?
eac3to can remove dialnorm from the core. However, eac3to at this point in time can not modify the DTS-HD data blocks, because there's no full DTS-HD specification available. I wouldn't know what to change and where. To my best knowledge, the Sonic DTS decoder ignores dialnorm, anyway. Not sure about ArcSoft, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyDog View Post
Due to Miramax giving lossless honours to the English dub only on their Hero blu-ray, I've remuxed the original Mandarin DTS-ES track from the R3 DVD with an x264 encode of the blu-ray video. However, I needed to add 7900ms of delay for the A/V to sync up and when I put the DTS track through eac3to for this the resulting track has 7900ms of 'noise' at the beginning instead of silence.
eac3to can not "create" new silent DTS frames which are needed for this delay. Instead eac3to simply repeats the very first frame of the audio track as often as necessary to achieve the wanted delay. Normally a DVD audio track begins silent, so this usually works. If your DVD audio track begins non-silent, then eac3to's way of delaying isn't silent, but results in ugly noise, sadly. If there was a free DTS encoder available, I could solve this, but there isn't. For AC3 I'm using Aften to do the audio delay properly and guaranteed-noise-free.

delaycut can do this better, but since it doesn't have a DTS encoder, either, it simply uses a default silent DTS frame - which doesn't have the DTS-ES flag set, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcordes View Post
I'm an old-school GNU/Linux command line junkie. Running eac3to inside
screen, the output comes out like this: [...]
eac3to was not written with Linux in mind. I've zero knowledge about Linux. But I thought Linux was quite good at emulating Windows? If so, why can't it even simulate colored command line output? eac3to isn't doing anything special, it's using the official win32 APIs for colored command line output. IMHO you should ask the Linux guys (wine?) to fix the problem.

Quote:
I'd also love to have an option to not play sound.
Just delete or rename the wav files.

Quote:
apparently, wine devs
don't want apps to detect wine
Great! So ask them to fix the problem with colored command line output. Done. Next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samepaul View Post
I think I found bug.
Code:
eac3to 00001.m2ts 1: chapters.txt 3: audio1.m4a -no2ndpass 6: audio2.m4a -quality=0.6 -no2ndpass 9: english.sup
It starts, spawns 2 nero encoders, processes whole input and then one Nero finishes, but 2nd does not and stays idle.
I'll add that to my to do list.
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to