Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 9th May 2009, 12:10   #1  |  Link
turbojet

BD-RB: Workarounds for 'reached retry limit. Aborting' error

If x264 crashes when you are encoding with BD-RB it's technically not a BD-RB bug.

If you are using Windows 7 RC build 7100+ the microsoft VC-1 decoder can't be used outside of WMP/WMC by default. Also the microsoft AVC/H.264 decoder is preferred over all other directshow filters when using DirectShowSource. There are 2 ways I know of to work around these issues. One way is to set VC-1 to WMV9 in ffdshow and use clsid's tool, this is a 'what is set is used' method but it doesn't let you use unsupported filters or graphs for directshowsource. If you prefer the XP/Vista way of handling directshow priorities with merits and allows all filters you can use the fix Atak_Snajpera found or if you don't feel comfortable editing the registry I wrote a one-click batch file that works for Windows 7 x86/x64.

Otherwise the problem is usually the file can't be decoded with the current decoder, this is a common problem with interlaced VC-1. An example of one of these streams can be found here

To see if the problematic stream in question is interlaced VC-1 check the stream window and look for one these:
VC-1 1080i
VC-1 720i
VC-1 576i
VC-1 480i

Workarounds for interlaced VC-1:
For best results buy, unless you already own, Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre 2 and use Jay Bee's VC1tweak which works for 32 bit OS or this one with 32/64 bit support and set VC-1 Tweaker (haali) merit to preferred with graphstudio or set to use with clsid's tool in Windows 7. It's been tested working on XP x86/64, Vista x86/64, Windows 7 x86/64 with the TotalMedia Theatre 2.1.6.119 patch mirror. I'm not sure if other v2 builds work or if TotalMedia Extreme works, but v3 does not work. TotalMedia Theatre 2 and 3 can be installed at the same time. Note for XP x64 users: TMT2 isn't officially supported, the player doesn't work but VC1tweak does. After installing you will get a BSOD on boot, you have to choose last known good configuration from the XP boot menu (F8 during XP logo) after that's been done it will boot like normal.

Another way if you are on Vista you can use the wmv9 decoder from Windows 7 with this tool which may output pixelated video.

As a last resort you can use PowerDVD 7 VC1tweak which always resizes interlaced VC-1 to 720x480 and may output pixelated video. It also includes PDVD7 MPEG2 and H.264 filters which don't resize neither does VC-1 with progressive video. Thanks to Joniii's VC1tweak without it this wouldn't be possible.

I suggest to use WMV9 by default since it's well tested and faster, and to only use Arcsoft/PowerDVD decoders when needed.

The only other alternative is to use MIN_M2TS=<size larger than problematic M2TS in MB> in BD-REBUILDER.INI which will not encode any m2ts under the size you set. It's usually fine for BD25 target but may not be when aiming for DVD5/9.

Last edited by Guest; 11th June 2009 at 20:14.
Old 9th May 2009, 12:46   #2  |  Link
jdobbs

Cool! I'll give this a try.
Old 9th May 2009, 16:42   #3  |  Link
Capsbackup

@turbojet;
Quote:
The only other alternative is to use MIN_M2TS=<size larger than interlaced VC-1 in MB> in BD-REBUILDER.INI which will not encode any m2ts under the size you set. Which is fine for BD25 but can be a real issue with DVD output.
This would be an excellent option in BD-RB, but it does not seem to work on the main movie, or what it sees as the main movie. For example, the movie Terminator 3 has two large .m2ts files that are the main movie. The larger is the one I would prefer to reencode, which is VC-1 1080P, 23.976fps. The smaller .m2ts, though not by much, is VC-1, 29.970fps, 1080i. This option does not work here since BD-RB, for some reason, will not allow this file to be skipped from reencoding. Regardless of what I set MIN_M2TS to, BD-RB will keep this one for reencoding. It would be nice to have the user be able to select which files to reencode for this type of example. But there is probably not many titles like this, and that would be for a different discussion in a different thread.
Old 9th May 2009, 17:24   #4  |  Link
drmih

The principal of this is really to recode the extras rather than an approach to the main movie. If you are going to bd-25, even if there are two versions of the film (I just did Dark City), by re-encoding the audio you can get both versions and the extras in very good quality in bd-25. The issue is where you want to go to bd-9 and the min_m2ts isn't applicable, or sensible in most cases. If the extras are sizeable, such as in 300 or Mummy 3 and also vc-1, then you are stuck without this workaround. In your case couldn't you use tsmuxer to create a version with the film you don't want removed before using bd-rb.
Old 9th May 2009, 17:43   #5  |  Link
Capsbackup

I don't have a problem doing movie only, just full backup to BD-25. I just have not been able to find a way to keep the entire movie, reencoding or not, and maintain audio sync for the main movie. I'm not trying to stray from this thread, just wanted to share where an example of MIN_M2TS did not work.
Old 9th May 2009, 19:13   #6  |  Link
Furiousflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
I don't have a problem doing movie only, just full backup to BD-25. I just have not been able to find a way to keep the entire movie, reencoding or not, and maintain audio sync for the main movie. I'm not trying to stray from this thread, just wanted to share where an example of MIN_M2TS did not work.
Your issue is an extremely isolated one.

It won't be resolved until BD-RB correctly handles that type of stream.
Old 9th May 2009, 19:39   #7  |  Link
Furiousflea

Giving it a shot now with Baraka...Will report back in an hour or two once it's done.
Old 9th May 2009, 20:41   #8  |  Link
Furiousflea

hmmm...Is everything supposed to get resized to 720p from 1080i...

Confirmed...

When you install the script - all video gets encoded at 720p!!! (All VC1 at least 1080i\p)

When you uninstall the script - back to normal!

What's going on here?

Last edited by Furiousflea; 9th May 2009 at 20:47.
Old 9th May 2009, 21:56   #9  |  Link
drmih

It's sort of working but I am doing Mummy 3 (I did the main movie and as far as I could get with the normal codec and waited for it to abort before switching to the workaround) and the m2ts file I was having problems with was just over 2Gb and now it's 100 Mb - reduced to 720 and horribly pixelated.

Interestingly I have allowed the encode to continue on the other none effected extras. They are fine quality wise and a better ratio of the original size.

UPDATE

Okay, the disc completed and was 7.41 Gb. The disc (hard disc folder) plays fine although as expected (as I'd checked the m2ts file) the problem file was way too small and the quality so pixelated it was just about unwatchable. However, it was only a 16 minute documentary so not the end of the world. It would be interesting to see if anything can be done about the issue.

Last edited by drmih; 10th May 2009 at 00:51.
Old 9th May 2009, 22:06   #10  |  Link
Furiousflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmih View Post
It's sort of working but I am doing Mummy 3 and the m2ts file I was having problems with was just over 2Gb and now it's 100 Mb - reduced to 720 and horribly pixelated.
Yep that's what I'm getting, 1.5GB down to about 70mb...But not pixellated...looks pretty darn good even considering it is 720p...pq is adequate for me..but being in 720p isn't.

Most likely won't play either if BDRB doesn't know it's not going to be 1080p on a SAD.
Old 10th May 2009, 07:44   #11  |  Link
turbojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiousflea View Post
hmmm...Is everything supposed to get resized to 720p from 1080i...

Confirmed...

When you install the script - all video gets encoded at 720p!!! (All VC1 at least 1080i\p)

When you uninstall the script - back to normal!

What's going on here?
You are right after some more tests some 1080 were being resized to 720 or even 480 in a couple cases. Very strange that a decoder would cause this, I will look and see if I can find a fix.

Quote:
Okay, the disc completed and was 7.41 Gb. The disc (hard disc folder) plays fine although as expected (as I'd checked the m2ts file) the problem file was way too small and the quality so pixelated it was just about unwatchable. However, it was only a 16 minute documentary so not the end of the world. It would be interesting to see if anything can be done about the issue.
Could you cut and post about the first 5 seconds of where it goes from good (if any part was good) to pixelated from the retail m2ts?
Old 10th May 2009, 11:01   #12  |  Link
drmih

I have just done 'The Changeling' and that was fine. The one problem file was reduced to 720 but the ratio between original and final was only 33%.
Old 10th May 2009, 11:19   #13  |  Link
turbojet

Tried other versions of PowerDVD 8 decoders and still the resizing issue.

Small update
- switched to using latest powerDVD filters that still work, 8.0.2217
- now all files get deleted from system directory
- unregistering corrected

I will try to make something with arcsoft decoders which isn't supposed to have the resize issue.

Last edited by turbojet; 10th May 2009 at 12:04.
Old 11th May 2009, 16:06   #14  |  Link
turbojet

I added info about arcsoft tweak which doesn't resize but you need to have arcsoft 2 installed.
Old 21st May 2009, 12:30   #15  |  Link
DonDan
Deblender

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
Another alternative is to buy, unless you already have, Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre 2 or TotalMedia Extreme and use Jay Bee's VC1tweak which works for 32 bit OS or one with 32 and 64 bit support and set VC-1 Tweaker (haali) merit to preferredhave with graphstudio.
I have tested it on XP 32 and Vista 64 with TotalMedia Theatre 2.1.6.113 and 2.1.6.115 patch and it didn't resize like PowerDVD does. I'm not sure if newer versions work but v3 does not work.
I have Arcsoft 2.25.102.52 installed (on win XP pro Sp2), changed the merit for the VC-1 Tweak to maximum and yet I miserably fail at playing interlaced VC-1 m2ts files. I can't get Graphedit to connect a full chain with VC-1 Tweak and Arcsoft in any way. (I have been trying around for half a day now...)
Any suggestions about what to do before I put my PC on fire?
Maybe someone can put up a screenshot of how he could build a chain with Haali and the Arcsoft codec?

Edit: Could it be the diffrent version I have installed? If so where can I get the other from, the officiall site only has v3 now :/

Edit2: Found the old version, installed and now I can play interlaced VC-1. Still can't open it in megui though (that's actually the goal :P ), throws a: "Exception EInOutError in module VC1Tweak_Haali.ax at 0001F91C. I/O error 103."

Edit3: Again I have been proven wrong. It doesn't matter what I open the m2ts with, I can only do it ONCE after every reboot. An a fresh boot I can either check the filter chain in graphedit, play the file or open it in megui. After doing one of those every other action will always result in a complete application lockup and the above error.

Edit4: Fixed by reinstalling both haali's splitter and the tweak... Video now playing but all stuttery. Could encode in megui but the resulting .mkv is this wonderfull: http://i44.tinypic.com/2ql7eoh.png
Guess I should start thinking about just giving up...

Last edited by DonDan; 22nd May 2009 at 14:06.
Old 21st May 2009, 21:53   #16  |  Link
Furiousflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
I added info about arcsoft tweak which doesn't resize but you need to have arcsoft 2 installed.
Worked a treat with no resize nonsense on my Vista 64 setup.

Thanx very much you been a great help
Old 23rd May 2009, 11:39   #17  |  Link
turbojet

DonDan: Can you try 2.1.6.119 patch and see what happens?
What movie and region of BD is giving problems?
What OS and is it x86 or x64?
Also could you cut a small video only part with tsmuxer where it crashes x264 with wmv9 and upload to a place like mediafire?

Microsoft and ffmpeg devs could use all the problem samples they can get, too bad they aren't easy to reach.
Hopefully we'll have a good, free solution soon from ffmpeg's google summer of code VC-1 interlaced support project
Old 23rd May 2009, 15:23   #18  |  Link
drmih

Is it possible to have TMT 2 and 3 sitting together? I am very happy with TMT 3 and don't really want to go back to v2 and wonder if they can be kept independent with a bit of tweaking?
Old 23rd May 2009, 16:19   #19  |  Link
GaPony

Quote:
Is it possible to have TMT 2 and 3 sitting together? I am very happy with TMT 3 and don't really want to go back to v2 and wonder if they can be kept independent with a bit of tweaking?
I'm pretty sure the TMT 3 FAQ noted that version 2 & 3 could reside on the same PC..
Old 23rd May 2009, 22:09   #20  |  Link
drmih

I am trying the arcsoft tweak but can't get bd-rb to pick it up. It still goes for x264. I have tried graphstudio and that picks up WMVideo Decoder DMO rather than VC-1 Tweaker. I have changed the merit of it, and also disabled vc-1 in ffdshow (although I'm not sure if that is relevant). In graphstudio, although it picks up WMVideo, if I replace it with vc-1 tweaker it plays the clips perfectly.

Any help?
Closed Thread