Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 19th September 2014, 16:24   #1  |  Link
Orf
YAP author

YAP (Yet Another Player) v0.9.5

YAP: Yet Another Player is a desktop application - media player. Targeted for use on computers running Windows OS to create a library of media files, playback them, and also view DVB broadcasts. The best effect from using a media player is achieved on media center computers in multi-monitor configurations and controlled by remote control.

Project home page links

0.9.5 changes

Description

Gallery

Download

Help and support

Credits
Big thanks to Shiandow for shader developing and image processing consulting.

Notes
If someone want/can help to improve this project, feel free to join in.
What I think are the parts of a project that need to be addressed:
- Shader developers. If you can implement some image processing algorithm or improve existing ones, YAP shader pack editor is a good place to start
- Better graphics. Graphic designers can make YAP looks better.
- Translators. If you want to see it in your own language, you can spend some time and translate it.
- Ideas and suggestions about further improvements/features YAP miss/must have.
- Testers. Are always needed and welcome.

But if not, you can simply have fun with it.

Last edited by Orf; 12th March 2019 at 13:23.
Orf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2014, 00:33   #2  |  Link
Milardo

Hi, i have tried out your program, somewhat, but how does one add 3rd party directshow filters? Also, can i request some features? Integrated lav filters? Capture card support? Let me know thanks.
Milardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2014, 05:36   #3  |  Link
Orf
YAP author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milardo View Post
but how does one add 3rd party directshow filters?
Not sure I understand this. What goal you are trying to reach ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milardo View Post
Integrated lav filters? Capture card support?
Again, what do you mean by LAV integration ?
Old 20th September 2014, 06:03   #4  |  Link
Milardo

Well, if i wanted to use this filter in your player, usually one has to add it in the player so it will use it.

http://www.dmitrirender.ru/

and there are others out there that one has to add manually because that is the only way to use them.

MPC-HC and kmplayer have lav filters integrated into player so you don't have to install the separate package. Is that something you can do?
Milardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2014, 08:28   #5  |  Link
Orf
YAP author

@Milardo
The one by your link is a video renderer. This is different. Adding a video renderer required some testing and code changes. And the filter by your link is not a free one.
As for the other filters, Yap will use them automatically, if DirectShow decide to load it to the graph. The same about LAV, it is not required for Yap to function, but LAV can be used (and I use it myself) if installed. I do not think Yap should install LAV automatically and force someone to use it. Also there's no support for capture and I do not even imagine how it should look like inside Yap.

p/s Before implementing any new features, I plan to fix all bugs in current version and release version 0.7
Old 20th September 2014, 17:17   #6  |  Link
huhn

dmitrirender
is not a video renderer. it is just an frame interpolation filter it is not renderering videos at all. it like xyVSfilter it takes the decoded frame and do "things" with it.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2014, 07:52   #7  |  Link
LDD9O

Seem quite a fair time went into making this.

Few problem I find with it is;
(1) The setting/option, it annoying having to use it. Each time I change something, I have to right click to open the context menu again to change something else.
(2) The clog(?) wheel in the main player that look is a "Setting" icon is actual some kind of debug(?) or notification
(3) View mode icon - Right clicking on it should open a list of view mode available rather than the usual context menu

Overall it quite a good player but at the moment, there no reason replace it with my current player
LDD9O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2014, 09:31   #8  |  Link
Orf
YAP author

@huhn
Maybe, I never use it myself, but it site says something about dmitrirender should be installed as a custom renderer in players that support it. In case it is a in-between processing filter I do not see a reason why DS can't put in the graph Yap builds
@LDD9O
(1) Context menu just mirrors navigator view mode called main menu (F8). You can change setting from there. It doesn't auto close
(2) When this wheel is rotating, that indicates one or more processes is running in the background. You can see what is happening from it hint. Maybe it really look confusing, not sure about it
(3) The list is present in navigator menu, I guess the icon you mean is short link to cycle view mode action (F1)
Old 22nd September 2014, 14:03   #9  |  Link
Orf
YAP author

Link to the manual added to the first post. Should clarify things a bit.
Old 26th September 2014, 19:09   #10  |  Link
Orf
YAP author

One week passed, one thousand views registered, three persons replayed...I wonder does it means no one else care to try it and give me some more feedback maybe?
Old 26th September 2014, 19:49   #11  |  Link
turbojet

As someone who often watches in window mode I appreciate the auto hiding of toolbars. In a brief test I noticed a few issues:
1. scrollbar thumbnail stuck on and couldn't figure out to remove it
2. Maximized window to fullscreen then back to window goes to a default size, expected maximized

Some things it's missing that are important in a mediaplayer imo:
a. pixel shaders
b. auto play when media is opened
c. large time display (second important thing on toolbar imo but usually one of the smallest)
d. options to declutter the toolbar, the top line of toolbar is unnecessary imo, ditto with messages and status icon in lower left.
e. tv tuner support (this is probably a lot of work)
f. maybe an additional skin option or skinning support (default isn't ugly but some may prefer different looks)
Old 27th September 2014, 10:11   #12  |  Link
Orf
YAP author

turbojet, thanks for the feedback
Quote:
As someone who often watches in window mode I appreciate the auto hiding of toolbars.
Yap do auto hide toolbars or you mean something different ?
Quote:
scrollbar thumbnail stuck on and couldn't figure out to remove it
Sounds like a bug to me, how to reproduce it ?
Quote:
Maximized window to fullscreen then back to window goes to a default size, expected maximized
There's two buttons in full screen mode maximize and restore. Turning full screen mode off always works like restore. Is that behaviour case confusion ?
Quote:
pixel shaders
what you use this for ?
Quote:
auto play when media is opened
There's no "open" action at all. Media is imported once and then it stays in library database
Quote:
c. large time display (second important thing on toolbar imo but usually one of the smallest)
What time do you mean here ? Clock ? If yes it is located in the caption of information panel (I)
Quote:
options to declutter the toolbar, the top line of toolbar is unnecessary imo, ditto with messages and status icon in lower left.
It is a group seek bar. You can seek entire group here. The lower seek bar is item seek bar where you can seek only through current item. When item is not a part of a group, both seek bars looks the same and one of then is unnecessary, yes, I simply do not hide it
Quote:
tv tuner support (this is probably a lot of work)
I do use TV tuner myself. It have special application (player) with it. What are the benefits of putting all that stuff inside media player ?
Quote:
maybe an additional skin option or skinning support (default isn't ugly but some may prefer different looks)
As I mention in first post, I need a graphics for that, and I can't do it myself
Old 27th September 2014, 14:38   #13  |  Link
Orf
YAP author

Screenshots added to the first post
Old 2nd October 2014, 22:52   #14  |  Link
turbojet

Yes I meant toolbars and it's mostly ignored to auto hide and glad it's in YAP. I'm going to use numbers and letters to reply because there's no nested replies in this forum. Strict replying to your post wouldn't make any sense and manually nesting takes quite a bit of work.

1. Scrollbar thumbnail sticks for about a minute the first time for every video I've tried. Consecutive thumbnails go away as expected.
2. Going back to previous window state is what's common and expected.

a. pixel shaders for sharpening for me
b. ok then auto play from library would be welcome and is expected from a media player
c. not the clock but the currrent timestamp and length of media playing, it's small, tough to see on tv's
d. group toolbar is very confusing
e. for a nicer gui and ability to use madvr, pixel shaders, etc. every pcr software I've used has an average gui at best and lacks a lot of ability
f. ok, like I said it's not an ugly design imo but it's cluttered.
Old 3rd October 2014, 14:32   #15  |  Link
Orf
YAP author

turbojet
Quote:
Yes I meant toolbars and it's mostly ignored to auto hide and glad it's in YAP
Guess you've meant that autohide delay is too long. I think you are right, I'll lower it a bit
Quote:
Scrollbar thumbnail sticks for about a minute the first time for every video I've tried. Consecutive thumbnails go away as expected.
Never seen it myself. Can you give me step by step guide of what you are doing from player start to the point this bug first appears ?
Quote:
Going back to previous window state is what's common and expected.
Accepted. Subject to change before 0.7 will be released
Quote:
pixel shaders for sharpening for me
Did you use it with madVR only ?
Quote:
ok then auto play from library would be welcome and is expected from a media player
Yap has an option On start up/Restore playback(disabled by default). If you close Yap when it is playing something and this option is enabled Yap will resume playback next time it will be started. Is that what you want ?
Quote:
c. not the clock but the currrent timestamp and length of media playing, it's small, tough to see on TV's
I wonder, what is screen resolution of you TV ? And if you talking about fullscreen mode, try to enlarge value of Interface/Fullscreen font size multiplier option. Maybe it will do the trick
Quote:
group toolbar is very confusing
You say it is confusing, but you didn't say why. Groups inside playlist is the feature no others players had I think, and it is one of the things why Yap was created. So may be is just look unusual to you. Look closely at the screen shots, I've tried to illustrate what playlist groups and group seek bar is about
Quote:
for a nicer gui and ability to use madvr, pixel shaders, etc. every pcr software I've used has an average gui at best and lacks a lot of ability
I understand the point. But it is not about just add a support, it's about writing several more players, assuming there're different types of capture cards. We have to be realistic here, it can take unpredictable amount of time....
Old 3rd October 2014, 23:27   #16  |  Link
turbojet

There's nothing wrong with the auto hide toolbars, I was praising it.

1. Open video, press play and hover the timeline, the thumbnail stays for a long time the first time, then it's normal.
2. OK

a. I use madvr with Lumasharpening, MadVR alone even with Lanczos8 is still a pretty soft picture in most situations for me.
b. No, I mean when opening a video it plays instead of having to press play
c. 47" 1080p it's somewhat difficult to read, on a 1024x768 CRT it's unreadable.
d. Confusing because there's 2 trackbars, I can see advantages of it in some cases though
e. Yup, I said it was probably a lot of work in initial posting, I can understand not wanting to take it on

I use Potplayer which has the capability to do all of this plus a lot more but apparently they use edited open source code for their closed source player which I don't agree with. I'm really open to changing players but have never seen alternatives offer half of what I demand from a player.
Old 4th October 2014, 06:23   #17  |  Link
Orf
YAP author

turbojet
Quote:
Open video, press play and hover the timeline, the thumbnail stays for a long time the first time, then it's normal
It stays longer when the mouse over some control and when the state is not playing, and as I said before I will change the delays a bit
Quote:
I use madvr with Lumasharpening, MadVR alone even with Lanczos8 is still a pretty soft picture in most situations for me.
I see. Will see what I can do after 0.7 will be released
Quote:
No, I mean when opening a video it plays instead of having to press play
I think finally I've got it. When you change current item in playlist Yap restores the same state it was before (paused for example) and you want to always start playback of new item ? If yes, I can add option for that
Quote:
c. 47" 1080p it's somewhat difficult to read, on a 1024x768 CRT it's unreadable
Did you try option I've mention before to enlarge all the fonts ?
Quote:
I use Potplayer which has the capability to do all of this plus a lot more but apparently they use edited open source code for their closed source player which I don't agree with. I'm really open to changing players but have never seen alternatives offer half of what I demand from a player.
Well, suggest what you missed at the first time, that the one of the things what this thread is about
Old 16th October 2014, 15:30   #18  |  Link
Orf
YAP author

Version 0.7 released, changes:
Code:
  (+) Option added to switch control bar between basic and extended modes
  (-) Status bar was removed cause people think it is confusing
  (*) Return from full screen mode restores previous windowed mode
  (*) Several bugs fixed
Old 17th October 2014, 19:38   #19  |  Link
turbojet

Changelog lists some positive changes but unfortunately I can't play anything with 0.7. Message is "Import completed, 0 files were added"
Old 18th October 2014, 06:21   #20  |  Link
Orf
YAP author

Strange, nothing was changed in the import. Normally such thing only can happen, when you import folder and no files with extensions listed under "Options/Supported media extensions" was found...