Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Closed Thread

Old 26th June 2002, 11:52   #1  |  Link
perkst

Will there be an option to do DVD to DVD-R in later versions

I currently use DVD2SVCD to convert DVDs to DVD-R by allowing it to convert the audio to MP2 and re-encode the movie to 720 x 576PAL and manually stop the process when it finishes CCE. I then use DVDit to take the audio and movie and create the DVD-R.

In future version will we be able to select the output of DVD and have a bitrate matrix for this mode and a seperate one for SVCD. Also could an option be put in to stop after CCE and perhaps later versions could generate a DVD Folder view that could be burnt using Nero etc.
Old 26th June 2002, 12:37   #2  |  Link
dvd2svcd

Wouldn't this do what you want:

1. In the misc. tab select DVD2SVCD Level = Advanced
2. In the CD Image tab select "Don't make images"
3. In the bbMPEG tab under Advanced Settings DoubleClick on MPEG2 (not dvd, as bbmpeg wont create dvd compliant streams)
4. In the CCE tab under Advanced Settings Select "Close all GOPs"
5. In the bitrate tab change the cd sizes to 1024. Set the max. bitrate to 6500 and min to 2000 and max. avg to 6000
6. In the frameserver tab select resize to "DVD 720*480/576" or "CVD 352*480/576"
7. In the audio tab select "Do Not Convert Audio"
8. In the DVD2AVI tab set Luminance Gain to 5

I am however a bit unsure on pt. 5

Last edited by dvd2svcd; 26th June 2002 at 19:26.
Old 27th June 2002, 08:19   #3  |  Link
NSanity

i thought dvd was 9.5MB/sec max....

anywho...
Old 1st July 2002, 20:40   #4  |  Link
Faceman101

Most DVDs do not go that high, they hit about 5 to 6 average.
Old 3rd July 2002, 02:51   #5  |  Link
chainsaw135

@Nsanity, Welcome aboard also you can download bitrate viewer and view the vob files of any dvd movie, you will find that faceman101 is pretty much correct, and that a movie is around 5,000, 6000 not 9,000.. but just like anything else sometimes it can peak up to 9,000.
Old 3rd July 2002, 20:21   #6  |  Link
Mosaic

How to stop the resize?

I use DVD2SVCD b2 and I can see no way to stop the generation of the resize 480,480 script in the avisynth script commands.

I uses DVD2sVCD to make DVD-R with permanent subs .....so all I need is to kill the resize command.....any idea how to do this?

I wouldn't mind stopping the bbmpeg attempt to remux after the video encode as well.
Even though I use the "no change to audio" check box. It still wants to remux the audio & video.
Old 3rd July 2002, 20:39   #7  |  Link
dvd2svcd

Select Advanced Level in the Misc. Tab. Then you'll have a resize to option in the frameserver tab.
Old 3rd July 2002, 21:49   #8  |  Link
Mosaic

Ok Great

T.Y.V.M.!
Old 7th July 2002, 03:22   #9  |  Link
onerag9

I'm curious what settings you use to convert DVD to DVD-R w/ DVD2SVCD. I've tried numberous times, and i keep getting errors regarding the GOP for my video files. Ulead DVD MovieFactory says "The Gop is not valid for a DVD" or something to that effect, and DVDit PE gives me a similar error. Since you seem to have experience regarding this, can you please tell me what i'm doing wrong?
Old 7th July 2002, 05:30   #10  |  Link
Jason28

Did you try what DVD2SVCD wrote above? If you do you should be able to create DVDs like that with D2S no problem.
Old 7th July 2002, 16:27   #11  |  Link
baker

Yes but how about dvd2svcd authoring the dvd image and only reencoing if it needs to otherwise it just copys the dvd... cool.

baker
Old 10th July 2002, 20:27   #12  |  Link
comfysofa

Dvd - dvd'r ripping

Well - I need some help, it seems like this is the best place to ask - I cannot get rid of the audio sync problem - ive followed every tutorial going and i still get the same problem ive tried using ulead, dvdit and spruce up but none work - ive also tried loading in a muxed file but they all error/fall over and the only way to get to recognize the audio and video is to load them in separately - but then end up with the audio out of sync - by about a second or so........had this writer about a year and never managed to get a perfect rip.......end of my teather - anyone?????
Old 10th July 2002, 20:59   #13  |  Link
dvd2svcd

Ehhhh, are you using DVD2SVCD ?
Old 11th July 2002, 03:26   #14  |  Link
Mosaic

3 possible sync probs

My exp. has shown that sync probs comes from:

1) Not using DVD2AVI 1.76 .....other versions cause sync anarchy!
2) Orig. Movie itself does not start audio until a few secs have passed.
3) You tried to do Force film when u need IVTC or pure interlace.

Solutions are:
1) Get dvd2avi 1.76
2) Use ac3delaycorrector to force your authoring tool to start the audio later.
3) Inspect the playback in DVD2avi ...if the stats claims FILM 99% after playing for a while then use force film.

If DVD2AVI reports NTSC and u see (by stillframeing) 2 Interlace then 3 motion blur repeated........U gotta use IVTC. IF u see NTSC and no signs of interlaceing ...still USE IVTC.IF u see nTSC and ALL frames are interlaced ...then disable force film and IVTC and encode at 29.97fps.
If u using CCE 2.5 to encode an interlaced TFF movie....it will flip the fields and claim TFF, regardless of the source. U will have to do a PULLDOWN -no 2:3 and make the fields EVEN ...see the pulldown text file on this. With a BFF movie...u will have to PULLDOWN -no 2:3 and make fields ODD.

I just did a movie that had a 13.5 sec delay in the audio......and that movie was released in MAY 2002. I think they're doing that to confuse us.

BTW watch out for movies that switch audio bitrates for the logo/credits....this causes authoring tools to report inconsistent bitrate and choke. U will have to chop off the logo/credits with VOBedit/Vobsplit etc.
Old 11th July 2002, 19:24   #15  |  Link
comfysofa

dvd to dvd-r

right - here we go - i started using the settings as mentioned above and was using the muxed file that dvd turfed out (as per the settings) but the authoring software 3 different types - played the video but with no audio. I then started messing with the settings but still had no luck - then started to try to use the separate audio and video streams which produced the sync problem and thats where im at. with regards to the solution, im using build 3 of the dvd2svcd software which already has the dvdtoavi version that youre talking about, im not sure where the ac3 delay corrector is, ( sorry im not as clever as you, but hey, thats why im here...! )...the second paragraph, well im still studying that one......! Well im gonna go back and have a play - just out of curiosity what youve said needs to be done makes all the "how to" guides on vcdhelp and the like total horseshite.......cos ive been through em all.....

Thanks for your help all the same but i think im gonna need more....
Old 11th July 2002, 19:35   #16  |  Link
comfysofa

dvd to dvd-r

just out of curiosity which is better - to chuck in one complete mpeg (audio and video) or separate streams??
Old 13th July 2002, 02:03   #17  |  Link
we7313

This Doesn't Work!

I have been waiting for others to jump on this thread adding some intelligent input or point out the problems with DVD2SVCD's way of "trying" to create a dvd.

When you use DVD2SVCD's method the audio will not be usable by any DVD writer programs. Then when you have DVD2SVCD encode the audio the sound stuters & is way out of sync.

I've loved DVD2SVCD for the last 300 SVCDs, but now its time to start making dvds.

Can anyone help us out?
Old 13th July 2002, 09:08   #18  |  Link
Mosaic

we7313

U have not been reading the threads enuf.

What u ask has been hashed out several times in the last 3 weeks.

U don't used dvd2svcd audio btw ...u use the ac3 audio that dvd2avi strips out for u.
Old 13th July 2002, 09:17   #19  |  Link
Mosaic

comfysofa

U don't need anymore help ....do what i told u and u have no prob.

Don't ask for more help till u tried what I said.

Always use separate streams.....no muxing.

the guides u mentioned are just GUIDES.....details are up to u.

U can read how to drive a car...but U can't drive a car 'til u tried for a bit. The guide
won't tell u HOW MUCH to turn a wheel or how HARD to press brakes or how FAST to shift a gear.

After 80 dvd-r discs I still learn new things all the time.
Old 13th July 2002, 13:25   #20  |  Link
we7313

What DVD writing/authoring program are you using that will accept this sound. I have tried:

Ulead DVD Workshop
Ulead DVD MovieFactory
Impression 2.1
DVDit! PE
SpruceUp DVD Authoring
Prassi Primo DVD

Share the golden answer, or please point to the thread that I have faile to find.

-By the way, Ive been reading this message board daily for the last year.
Closed Thread