Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 19th October 2017, 07:33   #46701  |  Link
KeVe1983
Banned

Hey guys,

maybe someone can help.

I'm running Kodi 17.4 DSPlayer with madVR, LAV Filters, XySubfilter on Windows 10 with a Nvidia GT 1030 card and latest driver.
Desktop resolution is set to 4K native with RGB full.

HDR was not recognized.

So i switched Desktop to 1080p with RGB full and 12 Bit.
HDR was recognized fine and is switching on/off automatically.
But i only can play one 4K file.
If i stop the file and play the next one i will go back to my desktop in 4K resolution and the left top quarter is just black.
Have to kill kodi in taskmanager.

Then i switched back to desktop 4K resolution with RGB full.
I noticed the colordepht entry is just grey, it did not switch back to 8 bit automatically.

But HDR still plays fine on/off automatically, even after a reboot.

So switching to 1080p and back to 4K is the resolution for HDR.

My problem is TV Levels/PC Levels and normal SD, HD and 4K movies.

When i set madVR to PC Levels normal SD and HD movies looking fine, but HDR is to dark and a lots of details are missing.
When i set madVR to TV Levels normal SD and HD movies looking to bright or as they have to much contrast, but HDR is correct with right brightnes and colors.

How can i fix this?

Is it possible that madVR switch between PC and TV Levels depending on which kind of file is played?
Maybe by a rule or something like that?

Or do i need other settings in madVR?

Thanks
KeVe1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2017, 07:40   #46702  |  Link
cork_OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
@madshi
These new algorithms pretty darn good for image processing:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/121039
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/121038
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/121040

I think you should release a tool or even better a paint.net plugin for these, they're worthy of it. I couldn't get a palatable result result for these images with paint.net filters ( even including some third party plugins)
Photoshop plugin is more profitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
5) There's a new option called "don't reduce texture detail", which activates a slightly modified "reduce compression artifacts" algorithm. The original algo included some random noise reduction over the whole video frame. The modified algo tries to do noise reduction only near edges. The difference is not overly dramatic, though. Which option do you like more? I think I'm going to switch to the "don't reduce texture detail" algo variant and remove the option in the next build, but wanted to give you the chance to compare first.
It seems I was late for the discussion, but anyway: I prefer "don't reduce texture detail" for RCA strength 1-5 maybe 1-4. Not sure about higher strength RCA, I'll check later.
Old 19th October 2017, 09:50   #46703  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeVe1983 View Post
My problem is TV Levels/PC Levels and normal SD, HD and 4K movies.

When i set madVR to PC Levels normal SD and HD movies looking fine, but HDR is to dark and a lots of details are missing.
When i set madVR to TV Levels normal SD and HD movies looking to bright or as they have to much contrast, but HDR is correct with right brightnes and colors.

How can i fix this?

Is it possible that madVR switch between PC and TV Levels depending on which kind of file is played?
Maybe by a rule or something like that?

Or do i need other settings in madVR?

Thanks
first of all make sure it is working correctly with a player like mpc-hc.

now levels.
Quote:
changing from PC levels to Tv makes an image less bright and it losses a lot of contrast compared to the PC level screen.

so first of all you should make sure the levels are correctly setup for your screen.
you can start here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...libration.html
the black clipping file is all you need. 16 has to be black if anything below 16 is visible you are most likely running TV level where it should be Pc levels.

a file can be full range and that no problem as long as the file is correctly created with a full range flag if not it can only manuelly be fixed and the file could be considered broken.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2017, 13:31   #46704  |  Link
mrmojo666

Hi,
I was thinking.......
I know that amd is not the best for madvr, but rx460 is not a weak card. Seems that is not able to manage any artifact removal or upscaling that is not dxva.
just activating reduce banding artifact adds 10ms and gpu goes at 100%.

Seem a bit too much 100% gpu for this simple filter or for a bicubic upscaling from 1080 to 4k at 50fps

Are we sure that amd doesn't need some coding modification for work correctly as done for HDR switching ?
mrmojo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2017, 13:44   #46705  |  Link
huhn

AMD cards are generally good cards for madVR.
the problem are the newer AMD cards polaris has major problem with NGU.
in the same price range AMD cards are usually faster than nvidia cards for madVR.

but if i see this right you are using a rx 460 for UHD correct?
well it is a 2Gb version? if yes you may just run out of Vram and there is little to nothing AMD can do about this.
Old 19th October 2017, 13:45   #46706  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_OS View Post
Photoshop plugin is more profitable.
Perhaps. Though my impression is that madshi is not doing it for money.

Anyway, I was thinking of paint.net because it simple and freeware and quite widespread.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2017, 13:46   #46707  |  Link
aufkrawall

Deband isn't cheap for high res. And it sounds more like driver problems, I had a R9 390 and a GTX 980 and the 390 wasn't really worse.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2017, 14:05   #46708  |  Link
huhn

debanding is nothing a RX 460 can't do at 1080p50 it's so cheap.
my 960 doesn't really care about debanding and this card is only ~50% faster.
Old 19th October 2017, 14:34   #46709  |  Link
mclingo

Hi, started getting an odd problem recently, it either LAV or MADVR causing it but I cant decouple these to diagnose further. There seems to be a problem where changing back and forth from 1080p to 2160p and 3D I get a loss of handshake and I have to use DEVCON reset to get it back.

This is what happens (both KODI and MPC)

I play a 3D movie, after a few seconds on a blank screen my TV switches 3D mode and plays the movies no problems. If I stop the movie the TV comes out of 3D mode and then I get black screen.

If I put my HTPC into 1080p resolution this doesnt work so its something to do with how MADVR and LAV filters are dealing with refresh rate and resolution switching.

Any ideas anyone?
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2017, 14:38   #46710  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
I could swear it was slower in the past on Nvidia than it is now.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2017, 14:42   #46711  |  Link
huhn

@mclingo
lavfilter is not switching the resolution or refreshrate of your screen.

so what windows version and GPU driver are you using.

there was an windows 10 insider build back in the days that did just that for me with every resolution change.
Old 19th October 2017, 14:55   #46712  |  Link
Jtacdf

I think full hd to 4k upscaling, with most default bells and whistles activated, is an impossible task for the RX 460. It was only designed for full hd gaming after all. You might have to think of madvr full features performance in a similar mindset to gpu video gaming performance.
Old 19th October 2017, 15:44   #46713  |  Link
HillieSan

Quote:
in the same price range AMD cards are usually faster than nvidia cards for madVR.
What problem with NGU and RX?
HillieSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2017, 15:53   #46714  |  Link
HillieSan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojo666 View Post
Hi,
I was thinking.......
I know that amd is not the best for madvr, but rx460 is not a weak card. Seems that is not able to manage any artifact removal or upscaling that is not dxva.
just activating reduce banding artifact adds 10ms and gpu goes at 100%.

Seem a bit too much 100% gpu for this simple filter or for a bicubic upscaling from 1080 to 4k at 50fps

Are we sure that amd doesn't need some coding modification for work correctly as done for HDR switching ?
Use d3d11 with the RX card. You must set d3d11 in madvr and in LAV. Put the error detection on random or ordered in madvr (this is faster and you don't see a difference). Also, uncheck all 'trade quality for performance' options. Let the display switch to the frequence of the movie (23/24 Hz) and do not use 60 Hz.

Last edited by HillieSan; 19th October 2017 at 16:03.
Old 19th October 2017, 15:57   #46715  |  Link
HillieSan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtacdf View Post
I think full hd to 4k upscaling, with most default bells and whistles activated, is an impossible task for the RX 460. It was only designed for full hd gaming after all. You might have to think of madvr full features performance in a similar mindset to gpu video gaming performance.
I think that HD -> 4K with NGU medium will work on the RX 460 with d3d11 (not with d3d9) on 24 Hz (perhaps not on 60Hz). Most movies are 23/24 Hz.

Last edited by HillieSan; 19th October 2017 at 16:01.
Old 19th October 2017, 16:27   #46716  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillieSan View Post
I think that HD -> 4K with NGU medium will work on the RX 460 with d3d11 (not with d3d9) on 24 Hz (perhaps not on 60Hz). Most movies are 23/24 Hz.

I gave up my RX 480 in favour of the power saving on the RX 550, this was a really bad idea as it turned out, its pretty weak with MADVR, pretty much had to move down to laczos on everything, it never occurred to me how much GPU MADVR was using.
Old 19th October 2017, 16:30   #46717  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
@mclingo
lavfilter is not switching the resolution or refreshrate of your screen.

so what windows version and GPU driver are you using.

there was an windows 10 insider build back in the days that did just that for me with every resolution change.
MADVR is swapping resolutions and refresh rates to match the video, i'm using win 10 latest build ATi RX 550 latest driver.

it also happended when I switch my desktop from 1080p to 2160p manually so it may in fact be a windows 10 or ATI problem, I might roll back some GFX drivers this weekend.
Old 19th October 2017, 16:53   #46718  |  Link
Jtacdf

madvr is dependent on various component like Vram, shaders performance, FLOPS. It's one of the reason why I still stick with an r9 290x. Though it's getting really long in the tooth now and I'm considering a change of gpu.
Old 19th October 2017, 17:46   #46719  |  Link
mrmojo666

Thank you all for the answers and i want to say madvr is the best in smoothness (if i use all DXVA) and colors, much much better than EVR

Quote:

but if i see this right you are using a rx 460 for UHD correct?
well it is a 2Gb version? if yes you may just run out of Vram and there is little to nothing AMD can do about this.
it is a 4gb, gpu-z says 2,2 GB mem used

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Deband isn't cheap for high res. And it sounds more like driver problems, I had a R9 390 and a GTX 980 and the 390 wasn't really worse.
unfortunately it's happening from when i got the card and many drivers has been changed and it happens also with 578p 50 hz broacast streams

Quote:
debanding is nothing a RX 460 can't do at 1080p50 it's so cheap.
sorry i don't understand what do you mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtacdf View Post
DXVA upscaling is doing his job perfectly (5 ms) , I'm not interested in crappy low low res videos to upscale,I'm curious and i want just to try something different from DXVA, but seems pretty strange (for me that i don't know anything about GPu code developing ) that it is so awful even with simple upscaling algoritms or processing filters. With games it is not so terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillieSan View Post
Use d3d11 with the RX card. You must set d3d11 in madvr and in LAV. Put the error detection on random or ordered in madvr (this is faster and you don't see a difference). Also, uncheck all 'trade quality for performance' options. Let the display switch to the frequence of the movie (23/24 Hz) and do not use 60 Hz.
yep, i'm already using dx11 for lav and madvr. Weak performance is with PAL broadcast 1080i e 578p 50hz, honestly about movies I don't see any big difference using DXVA upscaling or NGU or whaterver watching BD disks.
Anyway i'm going to try the other proposed tweaks.

Last edited by mrmojo666; 19th October 2017 at 22:08.
mrmojo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2017, 18:21   #46720  |  Link
nussman

Afaik with D3D11 native decoding (GPU) deinterlacing is still not implemented in madVR. So atm its not recommend for pal broadcast. Hope we will see deinterlacing with D3D11 sooner or later, because D3D decoding works really well for me with AMD RX hardware.
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling