Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 15th January 2016, 12:46   #1  |  Link
merceg100

Subtitles in Blu Ray a-top of black bars and their position

Hi, could someone explain me how to alter settings in tsmuxer under subtitle tab in order that they are not shown in black bar area. I was always using recommended settings (bottom offset of 52 pixels) but in that case if I have line of subtitle that has two rows, first row would be in picture area and bottom row would be in black-bar area. Now I'm planning to go for 2.35 aspect ratio fixed frame screen and mask the black bar beneath and up from screen so that black bars are even less visible. Does anyone know correct setting in subtitle tab so that both rows of subtitle are in picture area? Another question is if there is a program which can place subtitles wherever you want them to be, but not all of them, just a few that is found on original blu-rays. Lets say that you have hard coded subtitle inside of picture of Blu ray like in Lord of the rings when they speak elvish, and you just want those several subtitles to be shown up in the area not commonly on bottom 'cos they would overlap with hard coded ones. Is there a program that could do that? Thanx!
merceg100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 13:51   #2  |  Link
Ghitulescu

A Bluray has a fixed size of 1080. And tsmuxer starts from the bottom.

If you intend to crop the image, it's no longer a BD.

I never had any issue with tsmuxer and 2 lines, even 3, of text.
Old 15th January 2016, 15:00   #3  |  Link
merceg100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
A Bluray has a fixed size of 1080. And tsmuxer starts from the bottom.

If you intend to crop the image, it's no longer a BD.

I never had any issue with tsmuxer and 2 lines, even 3, of text.
I'm not intending to crop the image just push bottom line of subtitle higher that to fit in picture area. Still I would probably go route one by pushing higher with bottom offset and start muxing until I find perfect fit. It will take me some time but after several passes I'll probably find one that suites me best. Don't know how You manage not having trouble with those if You put values which are recommended in this tutorial:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=150511

Still I'm looking for program that can place several subtitles on top of screen, and all the others on bottom, is that in any way possible?
Old 17th January 2016, 10:25   #4  |  Link
Ghitulescu

I use the same font face and size, but not bold, for I use myself bold for some important information.
Old 17th January 2016, 10:52   #5  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by merceg100 View Post
Still I'm looking for program that can place several subtitles on top of screen, and all the others on bottom, is that in any way possible?
BDSup2sub.
Old 17th January 2016, 23:11   #6  |  Link
merceg100

Quote:
BDSup2sub.
TNX! You might know if there is a way to filter lines which are only on top? Let's say that You have only 10 lines in subtitle that are show atop (just beneath upper black bar) and all the rest are shown above lower black bar. Is there a setting in any of those programs that can filter and show me only the once that are above (below upper black bar)?
Old 18th January 2016, 10:36   #7  |  Link
merceg100

Quote:
BDSup2sub.
With this program I can't save .sup files in which I changed line position and overwrite or create another .sup file, I can only transcode it to .sub file. Is there a program that can change line position and just save changes without transforming it to another type of file?
Old 18th January 2016, 14:45   #8  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
TNX! You might know if there is a way to filter lines which are only on top? Let's say that You have only 10 lines in subtitle that are show atop (just beneath upper black bar) and all the rest are shown above lower black bar. Is there a setting in any of those programs that can filter and show me only the once that are above (below upper black bar)?
If software would take place of people, people will be fired.

No, there is none AFAIK.
Quote:
With this program I can't save .sup files in which I changed line position and overwrite or create another .sup file, I can only transcode it to .sub file. Is there a program that can change line position and just save changes without transforming it to another type of file?
I use this regularly to work my BD subtitles. You do probably something wrong. Are you sure you have read how to use it?
Old 18th January 2016, 15:08   #9  |  Link
merceg100

Quote:
If software would take place of people, people will be fired.

No, there is none AFAIK.

I use this regularly to work my BD subtitles. You do probably something wrong. Are you sure you have read how to use it?
People are already fired...

Yes, I found it, my setting for export was on SUB/IDX and I just had to change it for SUP/BD. Sorry mate
Old 11th October 2016, 11:02   #10  |  Link
Szymszel

Is It possible to create Blu-ray sup file with normal subtiles and with few upper subtitles in BDSup2Sub application?
Szymszel is offline   Reply With Quote