Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 12th January 2016, 13:45   #20201  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

From the description in that bug report it sounds like they're using the AMD custom 3D API which was made for Windows 7 (but might still work on Windows 8+). madVR is using the official Windows 8+ Direct3D APIs instead. I can't say for sure whether they have the same problem or not. I've only tested if 3D generally works, I've not had a chance to watch a full movie and look out for delays or other issues.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 18:17   #20202  |  Link
NikosD

I remembered the other player I thought it could play MVC MKV files but I'm not sure it does.

I can't test it.

It's called Bino3d
http://bino3d.org
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 18:44   #20203  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikosD View Post
I remembered the other player I thought it could play MVC MKV files but I'm not sure it does.

I can't test it.

It's called Bino3d
http://bino3d.org
That one doesn't seem to support MKV MVC files, only 3D files encoded as "normal" H.264.
Old 12th January 2016, 19:41   #20204  |  Link
fluffy01

I was just wondering... Do you have any plans of implementing DXVA2 decoding of MVC?
I once looked at the specs, and it seems like a pretty simple and straightforward interface for it.
That way, we don't have to depend on the Intel API.
fluffy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 19:56   #20205  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

There are no plans. Its not quite as simple as you portrait it, I'm afraid.
Old 12th January 2016, 20:13   #20206  |  Link
fluffy01

Sorry to hear that. And you are right. I only did a quick readthrough, never actually tried to do it myself.
I am not a C/C++ programmer. I mainly program Delphi and C#.
It looked pretty simple, though, but as you said, there is probably more to it than that.
Old 12th January 2016, 20:18   #20207  |  Link
fluffy01

Oh, almost forgot... I reencoded some of my 3D-blurays into a HSBS video, a long time ago, for easy viewing. I tagged the video stream in the mkv-files as being SBS, I was wondering if LAV Splitter/Video is reading and sending this information on to madVR? Because I can't seem to get it to realize, that it is in fact 3D.
Old 12th January 2016, 22:32   #20208  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Is there an SBS flag in the container? If so, maybe LAV could export it somehow (e.g. IPropertyBag) in some future version, would be helpful for me.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 00:26   #20209  |  Link
Nullack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullack View Post
Hello Hendrik, with todays nightly I have observed I can no longer seek forward or backward by clicking the mouse in the player's seek bar somwhere else other than current playback and have it work OK in webm / VP9 using this sample for example:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...9-4K-HD-Sample

Im not sure when this was last working/if it worked off the top of my head. I tried seeking in other container and video codec formats, all is seeking OK including even similar footage such as VP8 / webm

Thanks
Looking a bit deeper at this there seems to be some ffmpeg level discussion about seeking in VP9. Handy that Hendrik is also a ffmpeg contributor
Nullack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 01:34   #20210  |  Link
Duffy Moon

Not sure if anyone can help with this, or even if it's an LAV issue (but it doesn't happen with my TiVo) but when I watch some video files via MPC, my amplifier shuts itself off on occasion.
It's not set at a high volume, so I don't think it's a signal overload (although it does seem to happen more often when there's a sudden loud noise on the soundtrack). I have tried checking clipping protection and using DRC, but they made no difference. It only happens on about 1 in 100 files, but when it happens, it's very annoying!
Duffy Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 05:07   #20211  |  Link
Nullack

Hi Hendrik. Say a user has got the tickbox for prefer audio stream with the highest quality enabled in the lav splitter config. Its rare but it can happen that a bluray disc has both a TrueHD and a DTS HD MA track. I've noticed LAV splitter will default to TrueHD. Since TrueHD and DTS HD MA are both lossless, it doesnt make a difference which one is chosen if they can decode that chosen one in their audio system. And I realise you needed to pick one of them in this case. However, it is generally acknowledged that DTS is a better option than AC3. So when a user might have older audio gear that only does the old standards like DTS or AC3, the better outcome in this circumstance would be to default to DTS HD MA since that will fallback to DTS and not TrueHD which would fall back to AC3. Thanks
Nullack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 09:09   #20212  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullack View Post
Looking a bit deeper at this there seems to be some ffmpeg level discussion about seeking in VP9. Handy that Hendrik is also a ffmpeg contributor
Seeking in that file works fine, its just slow because the file doesn't contain a proper seek index. Nothing that can be done about that, other than remuxing it of course.
Old 13th January 2016, 10:25   #20213  |  Link
dansrfe

Bug: AC3 track is prioritized higher and selected instead of ATMOS/TrueHD track of same language.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 10:30   #20214  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
Bug: AC3 track is prioritized higher and selected instead of ATMOS/TrueHD track of same language.
It is most definitely not, unless the AC3 track has more channels.
Check your player, some players like to override stream selections.
Old 13th January 2016, 17:42   #20215  |  Link
dude2012

DXVA2 Native or Copy-Back in Windows 10?

Is there a consensus as to which is better with Lav 0.67.0? I've read posts including from Nev saying DXVA2 is better than CUVID in Windows 10 but not sure which to pick? BTW I have an Nvidia GTX770.

Last edited by dude2012; 13th January 2016 at 17:58.
dude2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 18:57   #20216  |  Link
fluffy01

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Is there an SBS flag in the container? If so, maybe LAV could export it somehow (e.g. IPropertyBag) in some future version, would be helpful for me.
It is not just a SBS flag. It is actually a Stereoscopy flag, which allows a multitude of different 3D types.

The MKVToolNix GUI offers a dropdown with 15 different types of 3D (Including Mono-2D), so you can look there and see what is supported.

Setting this flag actually causes MKVToolNix to default the extension of the file to .mk3d instead of .mkv, so perhaps add this extension to LAV, so we can double-click this type instead of having to either change the extension back to .mkv or manually drag and drop the file in the player.
Old 13th January 2016, 19:01   #20217  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I can probably export this metadata in some form, but I haven't seen many files use it. But no harm anyway!
LAV supports the .mk3d extension, file associations are managed by the player however, and not the splitter.
Old 13th January 2016, 19:08   #20218  |  Link
fluffy01

I usually add this flag to the 3D movies I recode, and if LAV and madVR starts to support it, then I bet that loads others will start to use it as well
Old 13th January 2016, 21:10   #20219  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
It is most definitely not, unless the AC3 track has more channels.
Check your player, some players like to override stream selections.
I'm on the latest nightly for MPC-HC, the "Prefer audio stream with highest quality" option is enabled in LAV Splitter.

MediaInfo:

Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 640kbps [A: AC-3 [eng] (ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1, 640 kb/s) [default]]
Audio: TrueHD 48000Hz 8ch 9216kbps [A: ATMOS [eng] (truehd, 48000 Hz, 7.1, s24)]

I'm not sure what default audio track means. Did this override priority selection? None of the other files with multiple audio tracks show this.

Last edited by dansrfe; 13th January 2016 at 21:13.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 21:14   #20220  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

The "default" flag overrides everything, don't set it if you don't want that behavior.

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter