Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 5th April 2018, 10:20   #50061  |  Link
mclingo

interesting request, what about having a virtual HDR mode that conversts SDR to something that looks like HDR, now that would be cool.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 12:13   #50062  |  Link
ryrynz

Sony TVs can already do this, but it's not on the same level that this is on. It takes between three and 10 minutes to convert one minute of SDR footage. If they offered a cloud service madVR could tie into to make changes to the video that would be very cool.. but also a long way off, maybe madVR might do something many years from now.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 13:25   #50063  |  Link
mclingo

I meant a FAUX HDR mode like LG and SAMSUNG TV's have, VIVID with bells on, just adds a bit extra to the image, obviously nowhere near as good as real HDR mode but it would be a nice addition,
Old 5th April 2018, 13:31   #50064  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
interesting request, what about having a virtual HDR mode that conversts SDR to something that looks like HDR, now that would be cool.
Clean gpu driver installation after DDU, without changing a thing in madvr 1.2h expected frame drop, but i see drops occure more often when check osd.

But now any of the custom mode wont work for me, only EDID one, the rest give me blank screen, or is getting rejected by gpu.

Last edited by maxkolonko123; 5th April 2018 at 15:11.
maxkolonko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 15:53   #50065  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
I assume that is the problem because the x265 command-line changed some time in the past. Now it must be "--transfer smpte2084" or simply "--transfer 16".
I tested your proposal. Your assumption was right. Now my LG C6V switch to HDR mode. MadVR recognize the input as HDR, but the the colors are totally wrong on my TV. Some colors are too red, some are too blue....and with a lot of artifacts. I still do not know where the problem lies. After converting the HDR source to SDR the video displayed is quite acceptable.
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 15:55   #50066  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Its quite possible that your TV doesn't like non-BT2020 HDR, since that would likely never exist in the wild.
Old 5th April 2018, 16:08   #50067  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123 View Post
Clean gpu driver installation after DDU, without changing a thing in madvr 1.2h expected frame drop, but i see drops occure more often when check osd.

But now any of the custom mode wont work for me, only EDID one, the rest give me blank screen, or is getting rejected by gpu.

sorry if this is a silly question but have you set MADVR to passthru to display and meta data is ticked?

NVIDIA card or AMD?, are you going through a receiver, is it defo fully HDR passthrough compatible?,
Old 5th April 2018, 16:14   #50068  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
sorry if this is a silly question but have you set MADVR to passthru to display and meta data is ticked?

NVIDIA card or AMD?, are you going through a receiver, is it defo fully HDR passthrough compatible?,

What have HDR passtrough to do with none HDR movie?? pc to tv for video pc to avr for sound, nvidia card.

but like i said it has nothing to do with hdr, i just cant set any custom display mode apart EDID one
Old 5th April 2018, 16:17   #50069  |  Link
mclingo

sorry I misread the issue you are having.
Old 5th April 2018, 16:17   #50070  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:

Ok, so basically just to have a check and compare stuff, i decided to remove 23p and 24p string from madvr so basically movie is played with display refresh rate which is 59hz, and results are : 1 frame drop expect every 2.xx hour, 0 dropped frames whatsoever after 20min playback in madvr OSD !! when literally i usually get like 20droped by 20min with matching refresh rate 23.97fps
Old 5th April 2018, 16:18   #50071  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
sorry I misread the issue you are having.
it's ok
Old 5th April 2018, 16:22   #50072  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDVader View Post
I have a JVC DLA-RS400 projector which up-converts to 4k and can do HDR, albeit, badly (the HDR that is).

However, my existing HTPC setup is not ideal for 4k due to HDMI cable length and aging HD7950 graphics card.

So, is it possible to down convert but retain the wide color gammet content? If so, how should I setup the MadVR HDR settings? I'm running win7 to a 1080p Denon receiver (which prevents passing 4k to the projector.
You can calibrate your display for a wide color gamut in SDR mode (e.g. BT.2020), but the brightness will still be lacking. And your AVR may not passthrough the gamut. You would have to test. You would be referring to the HDR -> SDR conversion feature of madVR, which will passthrough the original gamut if you set this display is already calibrated to DCI-P3 or BT.2020 and set HDR to convert to SDR with pixel shader math.

However, before you test, you will need a graphics card with a 10-bit HEVC decoder, as your current card will not be able to downscale 4K -> 1080p, nor will it be able to decode it.

Last edited by Warner306; 5th April 2018 at 16:58.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 16:24   #50073  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:

You can only use the optimized EDID mode, or that is the only one you can set to measure the timings? If that is all you can accept to measure the timings, then there is no problem. What about the optimized modes? Can you select any of them? And are you certain you are still dropping frames with an expected frame drop every 1.2 hours? You shouldn't need a custom mode and madVR shouldn't be that inaccurate. You should do more testing.

I wouldn't sacrifice frame rate matching for a few dropped frames that are hardly noticeable.
Old 5th April 2018, 17:01   #50074  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
You can only use the optimized EDID mode, or that is the only one you can set to measure the timings? If that is all you can accept to measure the timings, then there is no problem. What about the optimized modes? Can you select any of them? And are you certain you are still dropping frames with an expected frame drop every 1.2 hours? You shouldn't need a custom mode and madVR shouldn't be that inaccurate. You should do more testing.

I wouldn't sacrifice frame rate matching for a few dropped frames that are hardly noticeable.
I couldn't use any other for measure timing then EDID/CTA so after playing a movie and checking measured timings I can only use optimized EDID mode, can't choose any other after measured timings even when it shows 90% compatibility, from CVT to optimized pixel clock none of them can be accepted.

CVT v1-v2 blank screen till prob 20sec is gone to accept it, every pixel clock end up with disturbed image on TV, even when quickly disconnect hdmi cable and connect back i can see time to accept this mode i click yes then getting error about gpu rejecting this mode.

At the moment i have in custom mode " current timings " currently used by the GPU..... current timings,mesured timings and EDID/CTA all 3 shows same numbers and 1 frame drop every 1.07hours see screnshot -> https://imgur.com/a/OzZ5c

I won't sacrifice it either but i just want to find why is like that, i even choose in nvidia control panel to max performance from adaptive mode, it did more time to expected frame drop but yet still after playing movie for some time and checking osd i see noted drops there
Old 5th April 2018, 17:04   #50075  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
I won't sacrifice it either but i just want to find why is like that, i even choose in nvidia control panel to max performance from adaptive mode, it did more time to expected frame drop but yet still after playing movie for some time and checking osd i see noted drops there
That sucks. I am sorry I encouraged you to reinstall your drivers, as this fixed my issue.

Your new stock clock looks good and there doesn't appear to be a need for a custom mode. I have no explanation as to why you are dropping frames with an expected frame drop every hour or so.
Old 5th April 2018, 17:11   #50076  |  Link
huhn

are you using a 3d LUT?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 17:46   #50077  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
are you using a 3d LUT?
where i can check it ? but i doubt that i do if u mean external 3d lut file

i got tick displaye is calibrated, disable gpu ramps, bt.709, pure power curve 2.20

Last edited by maxkolonko123; 5th April 2018 at 18:20.
Old 5th April 2018, 19:36   #50078  |  Link
mparade

Has madVR been improved considering the type of 3D input recently? I have FTAB sources to send to madVR with "--frame-packing 4" option signalled in the stream itself or can a simple naming rule be working with madVR to treat such a 3D format properly? Or still only AVC&MVC-3D is working?

I converted my BD3Ds to FTAB format while saving 50-60% storage space using some "transparent" x264 encoding settings so it would be great to be able to watch them using the astonishing capabilitites of madVR.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 5th April 2018, 19:39   #50079  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Its quite possible that your TV doesn't like non-BT2020 HDR, since that would likely never exist in the wild.
I think so because all bt2020 HDR sources are being displayed properly.
Old 5th April 2018, 19:56   #50080  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparade View Post
Has madVR been improved considering the type of 3D input recently? I have FTAB sources to send to madVR with "--frame-packing 4" option signalled in the stream itself or can a simple naming rule be working with madVR to treat such a 3D format properly? Or still only AVC&MVC-3D is working?
H.264 MVC is the only supported 3D format.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling