Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 15th September 2012, 11:01   #12181  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Note that thread priorities are always relative to the process, not the system. If you have performance issues, you might as well try to increase the priority of the whole player.
Old 15th September 2012, 11:47   #12182  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Was there a particular reason why LAV Splitter lowers the priority of the audio decoder thread while Haali Splitter, MPC-HC's Splitter, AV Splitter, and others all raise the priority?

Last edited by cyberbeing; 15th September 2012 at 11:50.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 11:51   #12183  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

A 20 year old PC could decode audio, so i simply gave priority to video. Once you don't have enough performance to do both, something bad will happen, no matter how its setup.
I could probably remove that code and make it have all the same priority.

PS:
Everyone else doing something in this DirectShow world most likely just means they copied from each other, not that there is a real reason to it.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 15th September 2012 at 11:55.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 13:13   #12184  |  Link
pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
A 20 year old PC could decode audio, so i simply gave priority to video. Once you don't have enough performance to do both, something bad will happen, no matter how its setup.
While it's true that pretty much any PC can decode audio, when you combine it with video and you prioritise audio below video, you're going to notice audio dropping first (when starved of resources) which is arguably bad because audio dropping is more noticeable than video lagging.

It would be good if you did remove the difference in priority ^^
pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 15:41   #12185  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I asked you before to stop posting about these things here, please take it to a more appropriate place. If you really want to know, buy the hardware and test, instead of posting random quotes from random review pages.
Old 15th September 2012, 20:01   #12186  |  Link
mandarinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie View Post
While it's true that pretty much any PC can decode audio, when you combine it with video and you prioritise audio below video, you're going to notice audio dropping first (when starved of resources) which is arguably bad because audio dropping is more noticeable than video lagging.

It would be good if you did remove the difference in priority ^^
That's true - when the audio decoding runs out of cpu cycles, it has very nasty effects - skips, repeated samples, artifacts. It is very unpleasant. On the other hand, a minor slowdown in video decoding won't usually even be noticed. The other splitters using higher priority for audio know what they are doing

/Well, they usually come from times when your average cpu didn't have ample performance headroom - I don't mean to bash LAV filters though./
mandarinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 06:35   #12187  |  Link
nlnl

nevcairiel
Do you have plans for .ifo support (dvd lists)?
nlnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 07:07   #12188  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlnl View Post
nevcairiel
Do you have plans for .ifo support (dvd lists)?
I cant say i do.
Old 18th September 2012, 06:06   #12189  |  Link
golagoda

After this commit .srt files inside .mkv files are no longer displayed by vsfilter (including xy-vsfilter) if Lav Splitter is used. It's pretty much pointless and most likely effects other subtitle renderers so it'd probably be good to revert it in the 1f0 repo.
golagoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 06:33   #12190  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by golagoda View Post
After this commit .srt files inside .mkv files are no longer displayed by vsfilter (including xy-vsfilter) if Lav Splitter is used. It's pretty much pointless and most likely effects other subtitle renderers so it'd probably be good to revert it in the 1f0 repo.
Why does everyone jump to reverting immediately when something doesn't work?
The commit there is perfectly fine, i just need to map the new codec id to the appropriate DirectShow type, and everything will work just fine again.

I rarely revert a commit, unless its really obvious the commit was wrong. In general, avoiding useless modifications to ffmpeg in my repo is the best course of action - because in the long run, it'll just cause grief to maintain these changes.
Speaking of, i should clean my patches again and submit some to ffmpeg for inclusion.

Anyhow, i'll add the new codec id to lavs subtitle types, and it will work just fine again, no revert required.
Old 18th September 2012, 15:24   #12191  |  Link
kolak

Have an issue with LAV decoder connecting to some Sony decoder in graphstudio- reported size biHeight= -1080 instead of 1080. Decoder is sending v210 format and in case of some other filters all works fine. Any way to fix it? I assume it's Sony decoder what is broken, but some other filters seams to still work fine with it.
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 23:31   #12192  |  Link
dansrfe

@nevcairiel

Feature requests:

-> LAV Decoder checkbox option to crop half of the picture for Full-SBS MKV files which are being played back on a 2D setup. I have a bluray disc from which I made a Full-SBS encode (to future-proof the encode for when MPC, LAV, and madVR get updated to support 3D, which I hop will happen).

Something even better would be something like what ffdshow raw filter has (I use this currently to crop videos) in which there are four text boxes around a rectangle which depicts the sides to crop from. That would be an excellent addition to LAV Decoder even though I realize it is not exactly a "decoder" function. It would help remove the occasional dependency on ffdshow raw that I have to use to crop material before it is sent to the renderer.

-> A tray icon for LAV Filters
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2012, 13:32   #12193  |  Link
hoborg

Hi.
I have just quick question - does Audio delay working even while audio bitstreaming?

How to start with Bitcoin
hoborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2012, 13:35   #12194  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoborg View Post
I have just quick question - does Audio delay working even while audio bitstreaming?
It should yes, because it just modifies timestamps, it doesn't actually change the audio.
Old 19th September 2012, 22:22   #12195  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Hi nev,
I tested it and LAV supports SHOUTcast streaming, but... How do I get the currently playing title and other dynamic meta-data?
Can you add support for the IAMMediaContent interface?
Or is there another way to get at the meta data?

P.S.
Do you have an ETA for a non-test release? I want to add an OPUS LAV profile to Zoom Player, but there are only test versions supporting it out right now.
Old 20th September 2012, 08:11   #12196  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I do not have an ETA, i'm still working on some features i want in the version, but work is going slow due to time constraints.
Old 23rd September 2012, 16:04   #12197  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

What about the SHOUTcast streaming meta-data?
I'm not sure how ffmpeg parses the meta-data, but it stands to logic it may just mean hooking the IAMMediaContent interface and grabbing it's data from an existing structure.
Old 23rd September 2012, 19:23   #12198  |  Link
Mercury_22

It's just me or... after last libbluray update playing the index.bdmv makes MPC-HC crash but playing the m2ts file it's working OK ?
Old 23rd September 2012, 20:42   #12199  |  Link
Sebastiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Why does everyone jump to reverting immediately when something doesn't work?
The commit there is perfectly fine, i just need to map the new codec id to the appropriate DirectShow type, and everything will work just fine again.

I rarely revert a commit, unless its really obvious the commit was wrong. In general, avoiding useless modifications to ffmpeg in my repo is the best course of action - because in the long run, it'll just cause grief to maintain these changes.
Speaking of, i should clean my patches again and submit some to ffmpeg for inclusion.

Anyhow, i'll add the new codec id to lavs subtitle types, and it will work just fine again, no revert required.
Thanks working again :P
Old 24th September 2012, 01:03   #12200  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury_22 View Post
It's just me or... after last libbluray update playing the index.bdmv makes MPC-HC crash but playing the m2ts file it's working OK ?
Should be fixed, was a stupid typo.

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter