Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 14th September 2018, 18:07   #52401  |  Link
Asmodian

I am simply mildly annoyed that they call RGB "RGB 4:4:4", as if there could be something like "RGB 4:2:2". Describing the chroma sampling pattern for RGB formats makes no sense.

But nothing is wrong with the image, and it does have full resolution "chroma".
Old 14th September 2018, 18:10   #52402  |  Link
huhn

AMD always did this.

and yes you can subsample RGB it simply doesn't make any sense.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2018, 18:49   #52403  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
and yes you can subsample RGB it simply doesn't make any sense.
Not with HDMI you can't.
Old 14th September 2018, 19:15   #52404  |  Link
Razoola

In relation to the new Nvidia RTX graphic cards and the video decoding they support I read the following for those intrsted (from guru3d)...

The video processor also has had a bit of an update and offers an improved video and hardware en/decoder. HEVC 8K30 HDR real-time sees 25% bitrate savings. H.264 up to 15% bitrate savings. Turing GPUs can drive two 8K displays at 60 Hz with one cable for each display. Turing’s new display engine supports HDR processing natively in the display pipeline. Tone mapping has also been added to the HDR pipeline. Tone mapping is a technique used to approximate the look of high dynamic range images on standard dynamic range displays. Turing supports the tone mapping formula defined by the ITU-R Recommendation BT.2100 standard to avoid color shift on different HDR displays. Turing GPUs also ship with an enhanced NVENC encoder unit that adds support for H.265 (HEVC) 8K encode at 30 fps. The new NVENC encoder provides up to 25% bitrate savings for HEVC and up to 15% bitrate savings for H.264. Turing’s new NVDEC decoder has also been updated to support decoding of HEVC YUV444 10/12b HDR at 30 fps, H.264 8K, and VP9 10/12b HDR.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2018, 20:15   #52405  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Not with HDMI you can't.
why should anyone sane add this.
Old 15th September 2018, 01:52   #52406  |  Link
YGPMOLE

Hi guys!

I didn't want to start a flame, just understand and learn a little bit more from who knows really more than I do!

That's my situation now: after checking every option in LAV, the output is NV12 for SD and HD 8 Bit (MPeg2 DVDs, and H264 .mkv) and P010 for HEVC 10 Bit UHD; with the same settings of before, madVR produces dropped frames: I suppose because colorspace conversion and chroma upsampling are on his shoulder, and I have to re-optimize.

If I simply enable SVP to do frame rate conversion for SD and HD, LAV changes automatically his output to YV12: I suppose to "talk" with FFDshow input, am I right?

In this situation, FFDShow output at NV12: wouldn't be better to force his output at YV12 (to avoid the YV12 - > NV12 conversion), and let madVR do directly the YV12 - > RGB conversion?
Old 15th September 2018, 02:18   #52407  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
That's my situation now: after checking every option in LAV, the output is NV12 for SD and HD 8 Bit (MPeg2 DVDs, and H264 .mkv) and P010 for HEVC 10 Bit UHD; with the same settings of before, madVR produces dropped frames: I suppose because colorspace conversion and chroma upsampling are on his shoulder, and I have to re-optimize.
yes chroma scaling cost a little bit.

Quote:
If I simply enable SVP to do frame rate conversion for SD and HD, LAV changes automatically his output to YV12: I suppose to "talk" with FFDshow input, am I right?
nv12 and yv12 are pretty much the same thing a conversation between them is very fast and lossless.

Quote:
In this situation, FFDShow output at NV12: wouldn't be better to force his output at YV12 (to avoid the YV12 - > NV12 conversion), and let madVR do directly the YV12 - > RGB conversion?
madVR can convert pretty much everything that lavfilter outputs directly to RGB.
Old 15th September 2018, 19:22   #52408  |  Link
kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
In relation to the new Nvidia RTX graphic cards and the video decoding they support I read the following for those intrsted (from guru3d)...

The video processor also has had a bit of an update and offers an improved video and hardware en/decoder. HEVC 8K30 HDR real-time sees 25% bitrate savings. H.264 up to 15% bitrate savings. Turing GPUs can drive two 8K displays at 60 Hz with one cable for each display. Turing’s new display engine supports HDR processing natively in the display pipeline. Tone mapping has also been added to the HDR pipeline. Tone mapping is a technique used to approximate the look of high dynamic range images on standard dynamic range displays. Turing supports the tone mapping formula defined by the ITU-R Recommendation BT.2100 standard to avoid color shift on different HDR displays. Turing GPUs also ship with an enhanced NVENC encoder unit that adds support for H.265 (HEVC) 8K encode at 30 fps. The new NVENC encoder provides up to 25% bitrate savings for HEVC and up to 15% bitrate savings for H.264. Turing’s new NVDEC decoder has also been updated to support decoding of HEVC YUV444 10/12b HDR at 30 fps, H.264 8K, and VP9 10/12b HDR.
Will the new GPUs output RGB 12/10bit@60Hz via HDMI? or is it still limited to RGB 8Bit@60Hz\12BIT@30Hz-23Hz since the HDMI connecter is the same 'old' HDMI 2.0b?
kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2018, 19:47   #52409  |  Link
huhn

on paper they have HDMI 2.0. so no.
but the fact they can send 8k 60hz means they may be able to patch it in.
Old 15th September 2018, 20:10   #52410  |  Link
el Filou

They can't claim they're HDMI 2.1 yet even if the hardware has been designed to be, because they have to wait for the official certification test spec: https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/ (section 'Testing and Certification FAQs')
Samsung just announced a 8K TV but when asked if it had HDMI 2.1 inputs they said they had to wait for the certification to say anything:
https://www.cnet.com/reviews/samsung-85q900fn-preview/ (search page for HDMI 2.1)

So if you absolutely want 4K 60 Hz 10/12-bit RGB, the best is to specifically ask NVIDIA if the cards support that, but not ask them if the cards will be HDMI 2.1.
Old 15th September 2018, 20:16   #52411  |  Link
kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
They can't claim they're HDMI 2.1 yet even if the hardware has been designed to be, because they have to wait for the official certification test spec: https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/ (section 'Testing and Certification FAQs')
Samsung just announced a 8K TV but when asked if it had HDMI 2.1 inputs they said they had to wait for the certification to say anything:
https://www.cnet.com/reviews/samsung-85q900fn-preview/ (search page for HDMI 2.1)

So if you absolutely want 4K 60 Hz 10/12-bit RGB, the best is to specifically ask NVIDIA if the cards support that, but not ask them if the cards will be HDMI 2.1.
The new GPUs have HDMI 2.0b ports so they don't claim to have HDMI 2.1 . I guess it is possible to use 4k 10/12bit@60HZ using DisplayPort. Or do you mean that the new GPUs have actually HDMI 2.1 ports but hdmi 2.0b is mentioned in specs because they are waiting for official cert?

Last edited by kostik; 15th September 2018 at 20:18.
Old 15th September 2018, 20:30   #52412  |  Link
huhn

GPU just have HDMI ports end of story. what type of signal it can send depends on there display engine. if there display engine can produce a signal that is HDMI 2.1 complain they can update the driver to do that.

that's why all kepler cards can do HDMI 2.0 with the HDMI 1.4 bandwidth the a b c was always meaningless for GPUs the display engine matters and well HDCP which can't be updated.
Old 15th September 2018, 20:34   #52413  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
that's why all kepler cards can do HDMI 2.0 with the HDMI 1.4 bandwidth
Adding features like that is just software though, what we're really after with HDMI 2.1 is increased bandwidth. Now they may have planned ahead for that, but its a different situation entirely, since it needs stronger hardware to be able to do the increased bandwidth.
Old 15th September 2018, 20:38   #52414  |  Link
huhn

according to the source the hardware to create a signal "like" that is present.

as said before you should never believe in such a thing and never buy hardware in hope they add it until they confirm it and/or it is added.
Old 15th September 2018, 21:11   #52415  |  Link
SamuriHL

Which is great and all but everything in your chain has to support it. Meaning you need a TV that can receive it even if the GPU is capable. And if you pass it through a receiver, the receiver must also be compliant. That's why Nev is waiting to upgrade all his stuff. LOL I got impatient and bit the bullet this summer so I'm stuck on HDMI 2.0 equipment. But if you want full bandwidth, remember that it's more than just a GPU upgrade.
Old 16th September 2018, 07:56   #52416  |  Link
jmone

The good news is when Madshi's HDR->SDR is done, we can just run everything in 8-Bit and there is plenty of Bandwidth with HDMI 2.0 even with UHD @ 60p. I'll not need to upgrade to 2.1 till 8K content comes out... and that is going to be awhile anyway.
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2018, 09:24   #52417  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Have Madshi stopped development of MadVr? There hasn't been any new release since late April as far as I can see.
Old 16th September 2018, 09:27   #52418  |  Link
kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betroz View Post
Have Madshi stopped development of MadVr? There hasn't been any new release since late April as far as I can see.
No. The next final build is coming soon.
Old 16th September 2018, 09:29   #52419  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostik View Post
No. The next final build is coming soon.
Ok thanks
Old 16th September 2018, 12:34   #52420  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
No, I just recreated my custom resolution yesterday. I had also used the clean install option when installing the newest driver (399.07). Also running win10 1803.

I did not need to restart or anything, it all worked in a nearly ideal fashion and I got down to ~1day between drops or repeats.
Just downloaded 399.24 and as per so many versions since 390.xx I cannot get it to keep a Custom Res I would like.

All I need to do is change 1 number, and it either does not save, it saves what I don't want, and it does its own thing at a seemingly locked nVidia framerate.

How did you get it to keep a custom res you actually needed, or how does it read it as whenever I have something in there it ignores it anyway ?
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling