Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 12th September 2018, 08:41   #52381  |  Link
waldnebel

Is this new HDR to SDR conversion feature of madVR also an option if you have a HDR capable display with a fairly low maximum brightness of say around 300 nits? Might this HDR video look better converted to SDR?
waldnebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 08:41   #52382  |  Link
huhn

the FSE in windows 10 is simulated

10 bit windowed fullscreen was buggy on nvidia cards so madshi blocked it for nvidia cards so he just removed the block because nvidia fixed it.

source file bit deep information and range information are in the OSD.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 10:28   #52383  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostik View Post
I think madshi fixed some of the issues in his testing builds and will work when the final build is done.

Try this build for example:
http://madshi.net/madVRhdrRestoreDetails20.zip
Please do not post direct links to test builds in this thread, especially the latest one.

There seems to be many issues with test build 20 and linking it here might cause a lot of issues and confusion. Please can you delete this link (or at least provide a link to the post where Madshi linked to it, so that people know where to comment if they have issues with it)?

There is a reason why Madshi is doing this experimental work in a separate thread, and hasn't posted a public build yet.

If anyone has any issue with a test build, please post in the appropriate thread in the other forum, not here.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 12th September 2018 at 10:43.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 10:29   #52384  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldnebel View Post
Is this new HDR to SDR conversion feature of madVR also an option if you have a HDR capable display with a fairly low maximum brightness of say around 300 nits? Might this HDR video look better converted to SDR?
You should not need to do this, my ageing 2015 HDR OLED has very low nits and its generally fine with HDR content, stuff looks better than the original SDR blurays, there is only one exception i've found so far, star trek 2009 looks awful to me. its doesnt map very well on my display at all, skin looks bleached out and highlights are none existent at times, its all a bit yellow too. i've also tried using the HDR to SDR convert instead, still looks bad to me, its either just me or a bad conversion.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 11:55   #52385  |  Link
Axelpowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
check your GPU power setting and make sure it is not set to optimal.

after you did that can you make a screen of the OSD?
Hi,

Managed to solve the issue. Unchecked the enhancements.Now I can use chroma ngu sharp and lanzcos for downscaling. I also can now use again the mpc of my jvc and I get better sharpness.

Would like to use jinc, but it uses a lot of gpu and I get frame drops.

Regards!
Axelpowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 15:42   #52386  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldnebel View Post
It could make sense if you want to watch both SDR and HDR at the same brightness, likely at 300 nits. There is the issue of sharing a color gamut. If your display has a setting to automatically detect the input gamut and display it without a conversion (typically, Auto), it could be a good option. Otherwise, you would have to choose either BT.709 or BT.2020/DCI-P3 as the shared gamut between HDR and SDR. A 3D LUT could also solve this issue.

It also depends on the quality of the tone mapping provided by your display. At 300 nits, you lose a lot of detail through compression that madVR could restore with its highlight recovery setting. Also, some displays can't tone map all pixels with the correct hue. At least, with madVR you always get the correct hue. The image could also be potentially brighter. It depends on the display.

It is definitely worth trying. I would guess madVR would do a better job of tone mapping than a display that dim.

Here are a couple of images that show how highlight recovery strength works:

highlight recovery strength: none
highlight recovery strength: medium

This is also an image I made from the latest build that I think looks pretty attractive:

1,000 nits BT.2020 -> 150 nits BT.709 (390 target nits) (highlight recovery strength: medium)

Last edited by Warner306; 12th September 2018 at 16:10.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 19:41   #52387  |  Link
Damien147

What's better for Madvr?10 bit and 4:2:2 or 8 bit and 4:4:4?
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 21:25   #52388  |  Link
el Filou

Depends on your display. On most, 8-bit 4:4:4 will be better as long as you use RGB Full (not YCbCr).
Old 12th September 2018, 21:51   #52389  |  Link
Damien147

Yes,RGB Full.Thank you.
Old 12th September 2018, 22:23   #52390  |  Link
Asmodian

8-bit YCbCr 4:4:4 is not bad either, it is much better than YCbCr 4:2:2 and only very slightly worse than RGB (RGB cannot be subsampled).

4:2:2 means two out of the three image planes are at half resolution, the way humans perceive color is weird so we don't notice all the information loss but the signal does have a lower spacial resolution. Bluring together the color of every two pixels horizontally so you can get some extra steps between color values is not helpful and preserving the dithering at full resolution is important. The exception is when your display uses 4:2:2 internally, then it often isn't any worse to have the GPU do it first.
Old 12th September 2018, 22:34   #52391  |  Link
Damien147

I was 8 bit full RGB 4:4:4 but some settings made me wonder.Thanks for the info.
Old 13th September 2018, 01:42   #52392  |  Link
YGPMOLE

To keep the video signal untouched and to avoid unwanted colorspace conversion, I set the LAV Video decoder to output RGB24, madVR range at 0-255 and video driver to full RGB 4:4:4 (as from the F.A.Q.). Works fine for SD and HD 8 Bit videos WITHOUT hardware acceleration (unchecked for SD and HD files).

To watch UHD HEVC 10 Bit videos, I do need hardware acceleration, so I have to uncheck RGB24 8 Bit and output at P010 10 Bit dxva in the LAV video decoder.

In this case, does madVR the P010 -> RGB conversion? It's possible to avoid it (I mean, does exist a way to output RGB 10 Bit directly from the LAV filter)?
Old 13th September 2018, 02:20   #52393  |  Link
Asmodian

That is wrong. If you want to avoid unwanted color space conversion do not uncheck any options in LAV. You are forcing LAV to do a color space conversion. The video is not RGB. LAV does not do very high quality conversion to RGB either, since it should only very rarely be used. Leave LAV on defaults or even check every option (assuming you are using madVR). LAV will only do conversions if they are required (or forced by the user), otherwise it will pass the video to madVR completely untouched.

You do not want LAV to covert the P010 to RGB, let madVR do that. madVR is much better at it and this keeps all color space conversions internal to madVR, and in 16 bit.

Sorry to nitpick but "RGB 4:4:4" makes no sense and I don't think any driver has a "RGB 4:4:4" option.
Old 13th September 2018, 02:20   #52394  |  Link
Clammerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGPMOLE View Post
To keep the video signal untouched and to avoid unwanted colorspace conversion, I set the LAV Video decoder to output RGB24
You are actually doing the opposite of what you want to achieve. You are introducing an unwanted colorspace conversion. You are forcing LAV to upscale the chroma data to match the luma resolution bypassing madVR, so your chrome setting in madVR are having no affect at all.

Leave LAV colorspace options as default.
Clammerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2018, 02:21   #52395  |  Link
Megalith

I can't figure out why the 3DLUTs I get from DisplayCAL all result in a very dark picture. Source profile BT.709, destination profile default 2.2 Gamma, so it should be pretty straightforward (no HDR). The picture is easier to see on the profile without VCGT applied, though I heard that option should be checked.

Last edited by Megalith; 13th September 2018 at 02:27.
Megalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2018, 03:40   #52396  |  Link
Asmodian

In an effort to be on topic could you post in Display Calibration?
Old 14th September 2018, 02:37   #52397  |  Link
YGPMOLE

@ Asmodian & Clammerz

Thank you for the explaination!!! I was totally wrong thinking that the first spacecolor conversion was done by the O.S. when MPC-BE is playing the original YCbCr videos, because with LAV in default mode I got YV12 8 Bit output: instead, YV12 is the codec used to read the YCbCr information. My bad (and ignorance).

Asmodian, AMD drivers say RGB 4:4:4 Full RGB pixel format.

Last edited by YGPMOLE; 14th September 2018 at 05:36.
YGPMOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2018, 17:10   #52398  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGPMOLE View Post
Asmodian, AMD drivers say RGB 4:4:4 Full RGB pixel format.
Of course they do.

What are you doing AMD?
Old 14th September 2018, 17:35   #52399  |  Link
huhn

what am i missing here?
what is AMD doing wrong here?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2018, 17:45   #52400  |  Link
Klaus1189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Of course they do.

What are you doing AMD?
agree with huhn, what is wrong?

Driver displays RGB when you force LAV to output as RGB.
So what's the matter?
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling