Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 5th December 2013, 22:11   #1  |  Link
Will_Barnhart

BD Rebuilder Aspect Ratio Incorrect

(((HELP))) I don't know if I put this in the right place, but when I try to backup a full BD (movie only) disc into a BD5/BD9, it DOES NOT keep the aspect ratio & stretches the video vertically (Top to bottom) making the subjects in the video look thin. How do I adjust this? Am I forgetting to change something in the settings? Thanks
Will_Barnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2013, 00:07   #2  |  Link
gonca

Could the wrong setting be in your playback device or TV?
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2013, 21:13   #3  |  Link
Will_Barnhart

BD Rebuilder Aspect Ratio Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
Could the wrong setting be in your playback device or TV?
I checked (PowerDVD 11) amd it's set to "Keep Aspect Ratio", so it's not that. Besides any other bluray I play works fine, backup or original retail.
Old 6th December 2013, 21:42   #4  |  Link
Ghitulescu

PowerDVD (and generally any software running on a computer) is not reliable in displaying DAR.
Old 6th December 2013, 22:55   #5  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_Barnhart View Post
I checked (PowerDVD 11) amd it's set to "Keep Aspect Ratio", so it's not that. Besides any other bluray I play works fine, backup or original retail.
How about the TV settings, zoom, stretch etc?
Old 7th December 2013, 16:25   #6  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
(((HELP))) I don't know if I put this in the right place, but when I try to backup a full BD (movie only) disc into a BD5/BD9, it DOES NOT keep the aspect ratio & stretches the video vertically (Top to bottom) making the subjects in the video look thin. How do I adjust this? Am I forgetting to change something in the settings? Thanks
Please give a specific example with settings and logs included, and I'll be glad to see if I can repeat it. But, I've done a few thousand backups in testing, and I'm not seeing your issue. If doing a full backup, the aspect ratio does not change from the original (it is kept intact). The probability is very high that your issue is the player.

Last edited by jdobbs; 7th December 2013 at 16:29.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2013, 10:42   #7  |  Link
Will_Barnhart

Ok, here's what I did:

The original is a large (12GB+) .mkv that I want to create into a 4.38 GB DVD/Bluray. First I use TsMuxer to create a "Movie Only" Bluray ISO. I then load it with Deamon Tools (Which I have done previously for full backups). I then use BD Builder to "Compress" it to DVD. I checked the TsMuxer finished bluray & the aspect ratio is perfectly fine. So it has to be once BD Builder has compressed it. I've tried it as a "full size" bluray & as a 8gb DVD size also & it turns out the same way. This has happened with two different bluray movies, so it's not just the movie either.
Old 8th December 2013, 12:09   #8  |  Link
gonca

Why don't you just import the mkv with BD_RB directly and take TsMuxer out of the equation?
Old 8th December 2013, 15:11   #9  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Ok, here's what I did:

The original is a large (12GB+) .mkv that I want to create into a 4.38 GB DVD/Bluray. First I use TsMuxer to create a "Movie Only" Bluray ISO. I then load it with Deamon Tools (Which I have done previously for full backups). I then use BD Builder to "Compress" it to DVD. I checked the TsMuxer finished bluray & the aspect ratio is perfectly fine. So it has to be once BD Builder has compressed it. I've tried it as a "full size" bluray & as a 8gb DVD size also & it turns out the same way. This has happened with two different bluray movies, so it's not just the movie either.
TSMUXER will accept discs with incorrect or illegal settings and mux them as if they are ok. Do as gonca suggested and let BD-RB handle the entire process via import. It will make adjustments as necessary.

Last edited by jdobbs; 8th December 2013 at 15:21.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2013, 17:58   #10  |  Link
Will_Barnhart

Ok, I tried import & it STILL "stretches" the video. I tried "UnCropMKV" & it seems to be working. I'll let you know when it's fiished.
Old 11th December 2013, 05:52   #11  |  Link
Will_Barnhart

Ok, I use "UnCropMKV", Then used BDBuilder & pointed to the folder the new files were saved to. It took about 8-10 hours.....but it worked! The aspect ratio is just like the original. So maybe UnCropMKV might be a good software to include, I think it's free if I remember correctly.
Old 11th December 2013, 14:23   #12  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

just import the mkv directly into BD-rebuilder next time. alot faster and less hassle
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 14:49   #13  |  Link
JJB

I had the same experience as Will B. Most downloaded MKV's have been cropped to save space but if converted to a AVCHD in TsmuxR or imported into BD-RB it will keep the same ratio.
Using UncropMKV returns it to 1920 0r 1280 size. Believe me I am no expert on this but I think some standalones will play the cropped converted MKV's correctly but some wont.

Just an observation.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2013, 15:16   #14  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJB View Post
I had the same experience as Will B. Most downloaded MKV's have been cropped to save space but if converted to a AVCHD in TsmuxR or imported into BD-RB it will keep the same ratio.
Using UncropMKV returns it to 1920 0r 1280 size. Believe me I am no expert on this but I think some standalones will play the cropped converted MKV's correctly but some wont.

Just an observation.
No. BD-RB doesn't keep the same ratio if imported into BD-RB and then processed. When you import it, you have a pseudo-BD, with nothing changed from the original. But if you then do a backup -- everything gets corrected (look in the PSEUDO folder to see the corrections that need to be made). Unless you import from a DVD or BD (which are already compliant), the pseudo structure is NOT ready to be burned.
Old 12th December 2013, 00:58   #15  |  Link
Will_Barnhart

So import, then backup in same process?
Old 12th December 2013, 01:06   #16  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

Not in the same process. It's a 2 step process.
The first is importing the mkv, splitting audio video and sub's from each other making it ready for backup. The second is then when the import is done, you hit backup and bdrb will do it's thing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2013, 06:26   #17  |  Link
Will_Barnhart

Well, for the Hell of it, I tried that & it still stretches it. It looks like the only way is with UnCropMKV.
Old 12th December 2013, 09:27   #18  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Well, for the Hell of it, I tried that & it still stretches it. It looks like the only way is with UnCropMKV.
Can you upload a short sample (2 .. 4 seconds) of your original .mkv?
UnCropMKV seems no longer to be maintained (?)

.... and keep an eye on rule 6) of the forum.

Last edited by Sharc; 12th December 2013 at 09:33.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aspect ratio