Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 17th July 2005, 02:13   #1  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

avsFilmCutter Ver 2.0 b Video Editing tool for AviSynth

avsFilmCutter version 0.0.2.0 beta, version date 27 July 2007

avsFilmCutter is an AviSynth script editor with a built in viewer / player some of the included features are:
  • filter function documentation lookup
  • filter function parameter dialog, parameter look-up direct from AviSynth
  • Syntax Highlighting
  • One button/click script check with AviSynth error reporting (very much improved thanks to IanB)

Get avsFilmCutter version 0.0.2.0 beta:
http://www.avsfilmcutter.com
For trouble with viewing YV12 try a different decompressor or maybe you need one.
www.xvid.org You can install xvid on your computer.
The Xvid encoding package has a good YV12 vfw (video for windows) decoder. Just download and install the package.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56972
Helix YV12 / I420 VFW Codecs
The beta designation has remained to warn the user that the program is under heavy devolopment, very heavy. I try to release stuff that works. Everything is subject to change however. Therefore save your last version, you may like it better.

avsFilmCutter is free. Freeware, free software, I'll let the experts decide.

Last edited by Ebobtron; 28th July 2007 at 00:23. Reason: Version update
Ebobtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2005, 08:32   #2  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

Version 0.0.2.0 beta change log

Changes in version 0.0.2.0 beta - 27 July 2007

New:
  • For the video editor, two new items in the row button menu, Jump to Start Frame and Jump to End Frame. Another great idea from a user, thanks towtruck, aka Andy
  • Clip preview / edit dialog allows you to trim or extend the clips frames in a seperate pop up window, more from Andy.
  • In the main window menu you will find "Compression dialog" this will show the same video and audio codexs installed on your computer. The ability to save an *.avi should come soon.
  • avsFilmCutter released under an OpenSource license.
Fixes:
  • Huge bug in my method of reducing memory leaks when using AviSynth API. Some users would experience sudden program termination when switching to a viewer. Fizick, IanB
  • Script syntax or AviSynth error should prevent loading the video display. Error text displayed in Test box, last error retained see AviSynth Options | Display AviSynth Version
  • Loading Script with an error directly using media viewer terminated FilmCutter after reporting error.
  • When using the function lookup in AviSynth documentation feature with the path to the documentation incorrect, the SafeString update and pointer audits broke this. Only a new user or new installations would ever see this. If you did see it you had trouble. List of outcomes is very long.
  • Found the cause of encoder dialog window title haveing the encoder path almost off the page.
  • FilmCutter has had a string white space stripping ghost for sometime. Exercised one in the function parameter parser in mydlg.h
  • Encoding interface code had a few unintentional message boxes, sorry.
  • For those that edit using projects, if you had occasion to use the tabs on the editor they should work ASAP instead of waiting for the mouse to move.
  • Alpha video window poped a message box when closed
  • An illegal resourse assignment has been fixed 98 & ME and nt4 users, sorry I didn't know, rejoyce.(IanB)
  • Another issue with dynamic memory allocation resolved in the video interface.(IanB)
  • FilmCutter would choke on a corrupted ini file and loop endlessly.
  • Dialog bug in alpha 1 options dialog help button opens lots of help windows. Wow!
  • Ever wonder what your screen saver keeps coming back. You turn it off, it comes back. Oops, FilmCutter can disable screen saver and power saver settins but always restores them. If now checks the states and preserves your system settings.
  • Play was activate-able without a loaded video.
  • Script writing options dialog proc had some window errors.
  • Video scene editors time display could become inaccurate. Or sink the ship.
  • Found another divide by zero (they still crash). Syntax error could cause framerate to be zero. Total time amd scene time function go poof.
Changes:
  • More pointers to buffers corralled up so the memory associated can be reused or Released.
  • Moved many local variable definition statements out of conditional branches in WinMain with much care taken to make sure that memory allocated is reused not recreated.
  • FilmCutter would warn the user about needing SciLexer.dll and then go on to crash. FilmCutter now warns the user then terminate gracefully.
  • If the video viewer was in play mode when the user exited FilmCutter the system values for the following items remained false. Oops!
    SETSCREENSAVEACTIVE
    SETPOWEROFFACTIVE
    FilmCutter how issues a play stop command before exit, which changes the values to true.
  • If you change the file filtering in the file saves / open dialogs FilmCutter remembers your last file type, i.e. *.txt, *.avs. Believe it or not that is not automatic.
  • While bug hunting the parameter help dialog I added code to prevent parameter strings from exceeding 260 characters (max path length).
  • Some very old code died today, the checkstate of a hidden button is kind of unreliable. Because, you can not check it till it changes and windows will change it when it wants to.
  • Changed the way preview with script editor updates. If, when the user press F4 or clicks the update button, an error occurs the error (likely syntax) will display and the update will not be done. Current frame and state shall remain.
  • Small changes to the source / project switching. Scene list remains active but the row buttons become disabled when project radio button is selected.
  • Finally remembered to put the max and restore things on the main menu list so you can maximize the window while using the video scene editor without having to be all tricky back though the script editor menu.
  • Rearranged the scene editor view / mode. Added a scene preview button, added the third window to "mutli-frame editor". Big rewrite to the video veiw code, also changed trackbar style to move frame# tool-tip to above frame slider.
  • Changed the way the source / project radio buttons work. FilmCutter will prompt you if it needs the project data saved.
  • The AviSynth interface has been completely rewritten. Along with his help to resolve a nasty crash issue I introduced, Ian Brabham's generous code contribution to FilmCutter gives it vastly improved error handling capabilities. Ian added three Safe AviSynth functions that simplify and standardize error trapping and reporting. See "AviSynth Error Reporting" in the user's guide.
  • The "filmcutter.ini" file write routine has been completly rewritten. A little faster I hope, much simpler.
  • Added the code needed for the save wave function to be able to read wave format WaveFormatExtensible when the format is used in AviSynth.

Last edited by Ebobtron; 28th July 2007 at 00:39. Reason: version update
Old 20th July 2005, 22:31   #3  |  Link
dr.Prozac

Seems nobody is interested so I decided to write something.
I really appreciate your effort. I appreciate you want to share your application for free. Doesn't matter if it works perfectly or it doesn't. This is just the beginning and I can see you have many new and great features to create in the future.
I was just testing your soft. In my opinion you did a very good job. Just think also about more comfortable gui so that every, even less advanced users will be able to use it intuitivly. Also, when it is the first run, many various windows, confirmations ect. appear. is it neccesary ? Next thing, every user is able to run AVSEdit even if this tool is not installed in the system. So, then we can see the Message (Create process failed).
These are the things I have noticed for the time being. Of course don't think it was my purpose to find fault your work. No. Programming is also one of my interests and I also develope my own free application writen in Delphi. I just know that it's quite difficult to find every bug and to judge your own program. Nothing is more helpful than users opinions

good luck!
Prozac
Old 21st July 2005, 05:28   #4  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

@dr.Prozac

Thanks for the kind words and for showing an interrest.
Quote:
Just think also about more comfortable gui so that every, even less advanced users will be able to use it intuitivly.
I noted in the original “know issues” list that the trim edit view had problems. However, I did not see how horrid it was to anyone but me till after I had it out. Version 0.2b is better. I hope more feedback will lead to a better working layout.
Quote:
Also, when it is the first run, many various windows, confirmations ect. appear. is it neccesary?
I also warned about stray popup message boxes. I left those in the program for the first release because I would know where the program was crashing if FilmCutter did not startup on some systems. In addition, I wanted the user to know that the program was going to write to his hard-drive. Not very elegant but it works and they are temporary. Moreover, there are a few I have forgotten about so let me know please.
Quote:
Next thing, every user is able to run AVSEdit even if this tool is not installed in the system. So, then we can see the Message (Create process failed).
I left the Launch AVSEdit feature in the script edit menu because I wanted feedback on whether anyone would like it. I am sorry that for those without AVSEdit that it is not included. Version 0.3b will add a tool bar of six user-defined buttons so you can add or change to suit your needs
Quote:
Nothing is more helpful than users opinions
Absolutely, much of the programs structure depends on the features so feedback from users will definitely define the program in the future.

There are many ideas yet to implement and I have held back to see if it will run on other systems. I would like to know if the program runs on 98, ME, Win2K and other configurations than just mine before I continue with the project.

Again, thank you for the feedback. I hope you can find use for the program

Last edited by Ebobtron; 21st July 2005 at 05:32. Reason: context error
Old 30th July 2005, 21:58   #5  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

Some people say, no news is good news. Others remind that if you cannot say something nice, say nothing at all.

I wonder which applies here.

For all of you who have looked the program over and are still shaking your heads, I am sorry. I also would like to thank anyone who has tried the program. This version should provide enough features that a person could do something with it.

Version 0.4b is a fix for 0.3b.

Version 0.0.0.4b is up on the website.
http://members.aol.com/avsfilmcutter/

Going to California to visit the Mouse, August 7 thought the 13th. If you post a comment to the forum or email. You will not get a response during that time, I will be with my granddaughter.

Don't really think it will be a problem.

Changes in version 0.0.0.3b 7/30/2005
  1. filmcutter.ini is not compatable between versions 0.2b & 0.3b/0.4b. Please delete filmcutter.ini or place version 0.4b in a new folder.
  2. Select/Add encoder now handles cancel from the add encoder dialog
    properly(will not add a NULL encoder) no more NULL encoders.
  3. "Script Write" now has a dialog box allowing selection of Aligned or
    UnAligned Splice.
  4. Script edit view has a six button tool bar on the right. Button six is shared
    with trim edit view and is meant for your external viewer.
  5. Quick internal preview of unsaved script available thought menu or F5.
    External viewer will also display unsaved script when launched from script editor.
    Pressing F5 will play the current viewed script.
  6. Script editor and viewer windows both track the source/project checkbox.

Thanks
Ebob

Last edited by Ebobtron; 1st August 2005 at 18:17. Reason: Omission
Old 1st August 2005, 18:37   #6  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

Adding F5 shortcut key to the script editor window resulted in the 't' key being ignored by my message loop.

Cannot tell you why. Did a quick rewrite and now the F6 button play/stops the video and the F5 key works as well.

Other little fixes too, look at the change log in the downloaded file.
Old 8th August 2005, 14:33   #7  |  Link
danpos
BDVD Team

@Ebobtron

Is your website down?

Cheers,
danpos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2005, 06:45   #8  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpos
@Ebobtron

Is your website down?

Cheers,
It has not been down; tracking has been reporting hits all week though 12 August. Please try again if you already have not.
Old 13th August 2005, 21:28   #9  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

@ nnigam

Quote:
No need to bang your head. NT 4 is outdated now, and we should be upgrading to XP in the next month or so. I got busy with a couple of tasks this weekend, and so completely forgot to test under XP Pro SP2 and media center at home, but will test and let you know.
I would generally agree with that. It would be nice to know if there are issues unique to NT 4.xx or any version for that matter.

Quote:
As for the buttons, I get a window with no menus, and six buttons on the right which when clicked open a lauch tool dialog with the message untitled, and an ok button which closes the dialog box.
That message box is a stray used to debug the program, sorry. Open an existing script or save one and the box will display the file name. Right click the button and you will get a dialog box for that button allowing you to select which external program you would like to launch with that button. Once an external tool has been selected for a button the icon for that tool will show in the button. Clicking that button will launch the tool which should open the saved file( not the viewed data ) after clicking OK in the message box showing the file name. Oops. Next version will trap the modified flag and ask the user if they would like to save the viewed data before launching the tool. F5 will play the viewed data and tool button six will not ask but send the viewed data in the script edit window to your external viewer or whatever program you desire.

Quote:
Right clicking, I can open an avs file. Then from rightclicking for preview, I am unable to get the file to play back. However, if I hit F5, then I do get the preview.
This is my fault. The three view choices are not clearly described in the menu as view choices and will be addressed in ver 0.5 of the program. At this time the script loading into the veiwer is sort of up in the air due to the video viewer’s ability to crash the program if the script crashes AviSynth. Untill I come up with a way to prevent the crash or trap the crash and report it so that the user has some warning that the script is the problem, this is going to be a little confussing.

Quote:
When my avs file is in the editor window, All buttons are still blank. When I press F5 for the preview all the buttons are gone.
Yup that is what is going to happen. The program changes views to do this. Press F5 again to return to the editor or F6 to stop and start play.

Quote:
In the trim/Edit window, only the encode, write script, delete, insert, play and 4 movement buttons are visible. There are 3 other buttons that do not have anything in them.
Yes, that is correct. The button above the check box is a repeat of button six from the edit view. Meant for your external video-viewer choice, the button should display the icon of the external viewer once it has been configured. The other two buttons do nothing but latch down or up in the current version and will be programmed as scan forword and scan reverse in a furture version of the program. The far right button which sends the frame numbers to the list windows should display filmcutter’s icon.

Quote:
Let me play around it with some more and then I will be able to give a better idea. I tried to paste the image here, but somehow am unable to.
Hope the above info helps you, help me. For which I am very grateful.
Images posted to the forum must be reviewed by the forum before they can be viewed, it can take a day or so.

Once again, thank you, for your time and interest in the program, any info positive or negative is helpful. It is very easy as the programmer to have tunnel vision and miss how misleading a few poorly chosen words can be.

Last edited by Ebobtron; 14th August 2005 at 03:51. Reason: contents
Old 14th August 2005, 09:42   #10  |  Link
Nic

ebobtron: Would you consider making it opensource? Wouldn't mind adding some bits. Been wanting to write something similar for ages, but as dragongodz points out, I can't start another project I won't finish...

-Nic

EDIT:
ps
On windows2000 I have the same problem as is reported on NT4. Strange. I could fix it if only the source was available..... lol

Last edited by Nic; 14th August 2005 at 09:55.
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2005, 00:02   #11  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

@Nic
I‘d love some help.

As far as open source, she is nowhere near ready for that; nor do I think my ego is either.

Version 0.5b is underway let me finish that and do some cleanup, I‘ll send you details on the source when 0.5 is done. I think I can put all that together in about two weeks, currently resting from my vacation.

As far as the issues with NT 4.x and Win2000.

Nnigam’s last post suggests that he can see the text in the buttons that have text.

I think my menu structure is so poorly written that intuitive is the last thing it might be called. My wife clams that communication is not one of my skills. If you select the “Preview” window view from the script editor the script will not automatically load, which at this time is by design. If you load a script from file or save the script you are working on the “Trim Edit” window will load the video and because I use the same instance of the video viewer for both “Trim Edit” and “Preview” the video will already be loaded. Furthermore, if you load a script while in one of the views with a video window, the script will load.

F5 or view script (see how dumb my labels are, sounds like script view) saves the text in the script editor window and then loads the saved file “preview.avs” into the viewer and again it uses the same video viewer and view as “Preview“. Just switching views will not load the script. So I added the shortcut.

As for the rest, the program has no title or menu bar. I am shooting for menus that apply to the task and so they are right under my finger.

If there is more than I have been able to gleam from nnigam’s posts please elaborate.
The program is cookie dough and we can make it what we what it to be.

Version 0.5b should contain the following enhancements.
  • Cleaned up menus, which should make more sense.
  • Editable tool button dialogs and a button click will prompt the user to set the button up if it has not been configured to launch a tool.
  • Prompt the user to save the script before launching the tool from a tool button.
  • Program will test the script output before loading to detect script errors and resize the video window to make error reports from AviSynth easier to read.
  • Crash detection for really bad scripts.
  • Script properties display.

I want to get working on the parts of the program that made me start this thing.

So if you have time to help I would be honored and I have many questions.
If you do not OK. Your software has been a great aid to me. You showing an interest in FilmCutter has made my day.

Thanks Nic
Old 15th August 2005, 01:49   #12  |  Link
danpos
BDVD Team

@Ebobtron

I wanna try your app but I don't get a successful download from your website (and the guilty is my crap ISP ... ). Could you host it in another place as rapidshare.de for instance? Forgive me for any inconvenience!

TIA,
Old 15th August 2005, 05:35   #13  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

@danpos

Ok, here is the link.

http://rapidshare.de/files/3992969/F...4beta.zip.html
Old 15th August 2005, 05:46   #14  |  Link
danpos
BDVD Team

@ebobtron

Thank so much for your attention and support, mate!!

Old 5th October 2005, 05:44   #15  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

New version 0.0.0.7b

Mostly a bug release.

Finally got the trim edit view closer to where I what it. I have renamed it to video edit view.

For the next version, I am working on color space detection, audio stream info and a draft mode for the video editor view to speed up (maybe) preview.

As for future feature additions. Anyone have a preference?
Batch encoding or an input Wizard. Or something else perhaps?

Last edited by Ebobtron; 6th October 2005 at 01:42.
Old 8th October 2005, 15:59   #16  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

New version 0.0.0.8b

Mostly a bug release.

Select New Project did not reset the check box or all the source/project flags.

You may delete an encoder from filmcutter's encoder list.

Script output properties now displays the audio sample rate and the color space output by AviSynth. It displays "YUY2", "YV12", and "DIB ". DIB shows up for either RGB32 or RGB24 (guess I will have to dig deeper). Soon you will be able to tell FilmCutter which color space your external encoder expects to see.

In addition, I think my idea about a draft mode preview may be very lame.

Thanks again for looking in,
Ebobtron

Last edited by Ebobtron; 20th October 2005 at 16:49.
Old 26th October 2005, 19:12   #17  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

Version 0.9 beta has a reworked status bar. You can save your project output scripts without messing up the current project. The encoder application dialog box has been reworked to allow color-space testing before launching the encoder. Max number of unique encoder configurations increased from nine to 99. I have also enabled very basic avi viewing (note the retro file open dialog box with preview). See the change log at the top of this thread.

http://members.aol.com/avsfilmcutter

http://rapidshare.de/files/6795203/F...9beta.zip.html
Old 2nd November 2005, 21:08   #18  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

Hello all,

Version 0.0.1.0 beta is up and ready for download.

More work done to the encoder dialog box to fix and improve.

Added tab control to the script editor. When a project is open the user can switch between source and project scripts in the editor window by clicking on a tab. see the change log in this thread.

http://members.aol.com/avsfilmcutter
or
http://rapidshare.de/files/7103415/F...0beta.zip.html

Wish everyone has a happy and safe holiday season.
ebobtron
Old 2nd November 2005, 23:42   #19  |  Link
Fizick
AviSynth plugger

Ebobtron,
May you consider to implement in AVS script editor:
1. select avisynth function from menu list:
2. select parameters for selected fuction from list

see here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...114#post729114
Old 3rd November 2005, 08:34   #20  |  Link
Ebobtron
Errant Knight

Hi Fizick,

You have given me an early Christmas present, thank you. I have always considered such a feature far too difficult to maintain.

I have been thinking about an implementation of the TransAll plugin for FilmCutter’s scene editor. If the plugin is in the directory, the feature is available.

This certainly changes my thinking.

There is one problem though; you people are about eleven years ahead of me. I could use a little help in catching up. I have no clue how to read data from the dll.

Can someone volunteer to catch me up?

Update:
As of 11/10/05 I know how to access avisynth.dll to obtain filter lists and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizick
Ebobtron,
May you consider to implement in AVS script editor:
1. select avisynth function from menu list:
2. select parameters for selected fuction from list

see here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...114#post729114
Thanks again,
Ebobtron

Last edited by Ebobtron; 10th November 2005 at 16:58. Reason: Issue update