Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 27th August 2009, 02:22   #1861  |  Link
rickatnight11

Windows 7 (32-bit) Installation Guide
This guide was created from personal experience on Windows 7 32-bit RTM (build 7600). Your mileage may vary. I used the K-Lite Mega Codec pack, which comes with almost everything you need to get HDConvertToX working.
  1. Uninstall existing versions of K-Lite Codec Pack. I also recommend that you uninstall any of the media tools listed here, such as FFDShow, Haali Media Splitter, etc. This is important to make sure that there are no conflicting settings in K-Lite Codec Pack, and that no other utilities interfere with the pack.
  2. Download the latest version of the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack from http://codecguide.com/download_k-lit..._pack_mega.htm (you may also need to download an update that hasn't made it into a full pack. At the time of this guide 5.0.5 was the latest version with an update to bring it to 5.0.8. Download the full Mega pack first before installing an update.
  3. Install the full K-Lite Mega Codec Pack first
    1. In the Select Components section of the installation customize the following options:
      1. Set "DirectShow video decoding filters"-->VC-1 to ffdshow(wmv9)...
      2. ...and "DirectShow video decoding filters"-->"MPEG-2, DVD" to ffdshow (libmpeg2)
      3. Set "DirectShow source filters"-->"AVI splitter" to Haali
    2. Choose whatever options you like in the Additional Tasks section
    3. Do not check any of the boxes at the end of the installation to configure anything
  4. Optional: Install any potential update to the Mega Codec Pack
  5. Download and install Avisynth from http://sourceforge.net/projects/avis...8.exe/download
  6. Download and install the Preferred Filter Tweaker for Windows 7 utility from http://codecguide.com/windows7_prefe...er_tweaker.htm
    1. Run the installation from the zip file and set everything to ffdshow
    2. Hit Apply, and if you are running 64-bit Windows you will probably get a complaint about 64-bit Windows...hit OK to ignore this, and press Apply again. You should get a confirmation message this time.
    3. Hit finish only after you have gotten a confirmation message after hitting Apply.
    4. Restart the computer
  7. Now lets confirm that ffdshow has VC-1 and MPEG-2 decoding set correctly.
    1. Navigate to Start-->(All)Programs-->K-Lite Codec Pack-->Configuration-->ffdshow video decoder
    2. Select Codecs from the tree on the left
    3. Scroll down the box on the right to ensure that MPEG2 is set to libmpeg2 and VC-1 is set to wmv9
    4. Hit OK to save and close ffdshow video decoder
  8. Download HDConvertToX (if you have not already) from the first post in this thread, as well as the updated exe.
  9. Unzip the main program into a specific location, and then unzip the updated exe into the same location, overwriting the old exe.
  10. Enable Compatibility Mode for AVIMux-Gui
    1. From within the HDConvertToX folder navigate to applications
    2. Right-click on AVIMux_GUI.exe and select Properties
    3. From the Compatibility tab check the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2) from the drop-down box
    4. Press OK to save and close AVIMux_GUI.exe Properties
  11. You can now run HDConvertToX! On first run (and every other run, for that matter) you should hit the Update HDConvertToX button to update to the latest version

Following this procedure fixed the issue whipdancer reported about the Invalid arguments to function "isRGB" when analyzing an m2ts file. I will do my best to provide additional support if this procedure still doesn't help, but I honestly don't know which of the steps fixed my problems. As always, I hope this helps, and feedback is welcome.
rickatnight11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 02:22   #1862  |  Link
whipdancer

Error info

I am using Win 7 x64.

The error message is the same as previous.

First:

Then

Here is the avs file.

Code:
#HDConvertToX Avisynth Script
#
#Input File = d:\gran torino\bdmv\stream\00004.m2ts
#Original Resolution = 720x480
#Aspect Ratio = 1.7778
#Frame rate =29.970
#Number of Frames = 34021
#Lenght (hour:minutes:seconds) = 0:18:56
#Display Aspect Ratio = 1.7778
#Aspect Error = -1.2333
#
#Resized resolution = 720 / 400
#Crop Left = 0
#Crop Top = 0
#Crop Right = 0
#Crop Bottom = 0
#
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\AddGrain.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\AddGrainC.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\autocrop.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\Average.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\avss.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\ColorMatrix.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\deblock.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\Decomb.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\deen.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\degrainmedian.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\dfttest.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\DGAVCDecode.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\DGDecode.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\DirectShowSource.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\EEDI2.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\ffms2.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\FFT3DFilter.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\FluxSmooth.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\frfun7.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\gradfun2db.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\GrainOpt.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\hqdn3d.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\MSharpen.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\mt_masktools-26.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\mvtools.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\mvtools2.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\NicAudio.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\nnedi.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\RemoveDirtS.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\RemoveGrainS.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\RepairS.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\SangNom.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\SoundOut.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\TBilateral.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\TDeint.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\TIVTC.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\TTempSmooth.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\UnDot.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\UnFilter.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\VSFilter.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\yadifmod.dll")

Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\BlindDeHalo3_mt2.avsi")
Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\Deblock_QED_MT2.avsi")
Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\GradFun2DBmod.v1.3.avsi")
Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\Lem.avsi")
Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\LSFmod.v1.8.avsi")
Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\MCTemporalDenoise.v1.3.00.avsi")
Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\QMLF_3_motions.avsi")
Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\QMLF_5_motions.avsi")
Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\QMLF_7_motions.avsi")
Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\QMLF_9_motions.avsi")
Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\seesaw.avsi")
Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\spresso.avsi")
Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\hdconvert\filters\Srestore.avsi")
#Source File
directshowsource("d:\gran torino\bdmv\stream\00004.m2ts",audio=false)
last = isRGB(last) ? ConvertToYV12(last) : last
last = isYUY2(last) ? ConvertToYV12(last) : last

#Applying Resizing
LanczosResize(720,400,0,0,-0,-0)

#Insert Filters As Requested
ColorMatrix(mode="Rec.709->Rec.601")

hqdn3d(1)
whipdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 02:24   #1863  |  Link
rickatnight11

My guide should fix your problem then. I believe it's a combination of Windows 7 restricting the DirectShow filters so that ffdshow isn't being used, as well as AVIMux_GUI needing to run in Compatibility mode. Let me know how it goes. I had the exact same problem as you.
Old 27th August 2009, 02:28   #1864  |  Link
whipdancer

Additional thoughts

Since I've been trying so many different programs to accomplish this, I honestly can't say that I don't have codec conflicts of some kind, somewhere (mostly because I'm still learning this stuff).

I'm going to try rickatnight11's setup and see if that clears it up for me.

If that doesn't do it, i'll likely blow away my current installation and perform a clean Win 7 (X64) install (which is easy because my rips are on a dedicated hd, separate from the install drive).
Old 27th August 2009, 02:36   #1865  |  Link
rickatnight11

I agree, whipdancer. The issues with running this software in Windows 7 are three-fold:
  1. Windows 7 restricts the DirectShow filters, thus requiring the Preferred Filter Tweaker for Windows 7 tool to force ffdshow into the mix
  2. AVIMUX-GUI needs to be run in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
  3. In ffdshow VC-1 must be decoded with wmv9 and MPEG-2 with libmpeg2
Old 27th August 2009, 03:13   #1866  |  Link
whipdancer

So far so good

Woohoo! Successfully analyzed the m2ts file.

Now we'll see how it goes.

Um, any thoughts on how long it should take to convert to a WMVHD format? (Gran Torino is the movie).
Old 27th August 2009, 03:30   #1867  |  Link
rickatnight11

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipdancer View Post
Woohoo! Successfully analyzed the m2ts file.

Now we'll see how it goes.

Um, any thoughts on how long it should take to convert to a WMVHD format? (Gran Torino is the movie).
Glad it worked out! Converting will greatly depend on your computer specs, especially the processor. It's difficult to give an estimate, since it took me three days to figure out that my machine kept on entering standby. The process that takes the longest is the video encode, obviously.

I followed Adub's guide to convert a BluRay rip to x264 in mkv. On an Athlon II X2 250 3.0Ghz processor, the first x264 pass took about 7 hours, and I estimate that the second pass took between 10-15 hours. Tack on an extra hour or two for the audio encode, subtitle extraction/conversion, and final muxing, and my process probably took about 24 hours of actual work.

I should have done it on my primary gaming machine, which has a Phenom X4 9950BE processor, but it's in my bedroom, and I didn't want the fan noise all night(s). From minor tests it looks like that encodes just about twice as fast (rough estimate from some bitrate tests. My HTPC encoded at a steady 10MB/s, and my gamer seemed to encode at over 20MB/s.)

My gaming machine has an XFX Geforce GTX260 BE, and the HTPC has a Gigabyte Geforce 9600GT. I just got a license for NVTools, and I am interested to see what kind of speed increases I get (if any). I may just do the same encode again on both machines, and use the NVTools decoder to offload the processing to the GPU. It looks like HDConvertToX will run the audio decoding on the CPU and the video decoding on the GPU in parallel, which I think is badass.

In any case, your mileage may vary depending on your hardware. You'll want to kick of the batch before you go to bed. Hope this helps.
Old 27th August 2009, 03:34   #1868  |  Link
Crono141

Question about your guide: I use my PC as a ATSC TV tuner, and I had heard that switching your preferred MPEG2 codec from MS to anything else will break Windows Media Center live TV function. Is that still true?
Crono141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 03:37   #1869  |  Link
rickatnight11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono141 View Post
Question about your guide: I use my PC as a ATSC TV tuner, and I had heard that switching your preferred MPEG2 codec from MS to anything else will break Windows Media Center live TV function. Is that still true?
Yes, I believe it is. Can you try all steps in the guide except for changing the preferred filter for MPEG-2? I'm interested to see if that is even a necessary step.
Old 27th August 2009, 04:04   #1870  |  Link
whipdancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickatnight11 View Post
Glad it worked out! Converting will greatly depend on your computer specs, especially the processor <snip>.... a Phenom X4 9950BE processor, but it's in my bedroom, and I didn't want the fan noise all night(s). From minor tests it looks like that encodes just about twice as fast (rough estimate from some bitrate tests. My HTPC encoded at a steady 10MB/s, and my gamer seemed to encode at over 20MB/s.)....
I'm running a Phenom II X4 955BE @ 3.5Ghz, 6GB ram.

I'm encoding to WMV in an attempt to be able to play it on my XBOX360 (my regular DVD's i've been doing with handbrake to mp4).

For this test I set video to 1 pass quality with a value of 85. I'll see how it goes.

For audio it looks like I ended up with 2ch. I'll have to try to get 5.1 in the next test.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 27th August 2009, 04:07   #1871  |  Link
rickatnight11

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipdancer View Post
I'm running a Phenom II X4 955BE @ 3.5Ghz, 6GB ram.

I'm encoding to WMV in an attempt to be able to play it on my XBOX360 (my regular DVD's i've been doing with handbrake to mp4).

For this test I set video to 1 pass quality with a value of 85. I'll see how it goes.

For audio it looks like I ended up with 2ch. I'll have to try to get 5.1 in the next test.

Thanks for all the help.
Nice processor! That's my next CPU if AMD doesn't come out with anything new soon. I recommend doing 2-pass for the actual encode. I'd also recommend you stick with mp4s as well, but that's up to you. Let me know how it rolls!
Old 27th August 2009, 04:40   #1872  |  Link
Crono141

Good News. Setting both h264 and MPEG2 to FFDshow did NOT break live TV. I fired up MC, clicked Live TV, and it sat there for about 30 seconds "Searching for Tuners". Then it appeared, changing channels was ok, so no worries.

Whipdancer: I was in the same boat you were in with regards to XBOX360 and ripping my DVDs. I had my entire DVD collection ripped to VC1 WMV with WMA5.1 audio. Then I got a PS3, and non of the audio in any of those files would play (but the video would). Thus I embarked on my quest for the all in one everything goes format for both consoles that will get me the best video quality with the best audio quality. Here's what I've landed on, after probably almost 2 years of search and troubleshooting.

Encode to H264/AVC with AC3/DTS in the m2ts container. PS3 supports this natively (no transcoding required). I use the PS3 Media Server for my DLNA server, and it transcodes for XBOX360 dash board now very nicely. Also, if you're using XBOX360 as a Media Center Extender, your Windows 7 box will transcode the files on the fly to the extender for playback. Video Quality is heavily dependant on your PCs processor, but from the look of things, that won't be a problem for you. Standard Definition DVDs come through my network to my extenders very nicely, but 1080P HD content definitely suffers. I think 720p comes through fine on my quad core phenom 9550 2.2 ghz.

Just some advice from one 360 user to another. WMV is great, but file sizes are about twice as large as avc, and compatibility with other devices sucks.

Happy encoding!
Crono141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 05:50   #1873  |  Link
rickatnight11

I am having an issue with NVTools (NVbeta8). I have the license already, and, when I go to start the batch, the "DGAVCIndexNV.exe" application does pop up, but nothing is visible in the windows. It completes much too quickly in my opinion, and the final mkv is never created. I checked the "job1" folder, and it looks like the audio and subtitles encoded just fine, but the video didn't (mp4 file is 3MB, while the h264 file is 0KB.) I've attached everything I thought was helpful.

EDIT1: Check out the "batch.txt" attachment I just added. I looks like the command to call CUVIDServer.exe can't handle spaces in the path name. It needs quotes around it like the other lines.

EDIT2: The next problem I notice is that, when the batch runs CUVIDServer.exe it doesn't move to the next command. I believe this is because that process is supposed to run in the background while the next command runs, but the nature of batch files doesn't really allow that, as the next line will only execute, when the previous line completes. Since the server is still running, the line has not completed. I got around this issue by running CUVIDServer.exe on my own (or just closing the batch and running it again). It looks like HDConvertToX will need to run the CUVIDServer prior to executing the queue batch, or figure out a way to move onto the next line.

I do have a question about NVTools, however. I thought that it would be used to perform the actual encode on the GPU, but that notion seems to be wrong as x264 runs just like normal, flogging the CPU just like normal. Perhaps I am missing the point of using NVTools.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: txt Post_This_File.txt (4.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: txt queue.txt (2.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: txt batch.txt (8.5 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by rickatnight11; 27th August 2009 at 06:06.
Old 27th August 2009, 13:36   #1874  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickatnight11 View Post
Perhaps I am missing the point of using NVTools.
Apparently so. My NV tools are decoders, not encoders. I made them for these reasons:

1. To get fully correct decoding for AVC, MPEG2, and VC-1 streams.

2. To get access to the PureVideo deinterlacer.

3. To get cropping/resizing on the GPU.

4. With decoding, deinterlacing, and cropping/resizing all offloaded to the GPU, more processor is made available for the CPU-based encoding. How much of a gain you might see depends on how much of your processing you can offload and how powerful your processor is. Remember that decoding is a fraction of the load of encoding, so you should not expect massive gains by offloading just the decoding.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 14:23   #1875  |  Link
rickatnight11

I understand now. Thanks for explaining! I guess if the encoding were to take place on the GPU, the actual encoding tool (x264 in this case) would need to support it, wouldn't it?
Old 27th August 2009, 15:03   #1876  |  Link

That's right.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 17:09   #1877  |  Link
Sharc

@buzzqw
When XviD is selected as encoder and "Anamorphic Shape" is ticked, -par x:y should be calculated and included in the command line for the encoder (similar to --sar for x264).
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 23:47   #1878  |  Link
whipdancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono141 View Post
Good News. Setting both h264 and MPEG2 to FFDshow did NOT break live TV. I fired up MC, clicked Live TV, and it sat there for about 30 seconds "Searching for Tuners". Then it appeared, changing channels was ok, so no worries.

Whipdancer: I was in the same boat you were in with regards to XBOX360 and ripping my DVDs. I had my entire DVD collection ripped to VC1 WMV with WMA5.1 audio. Then I got a PS3, and non of the audio in any of those files would play (but the video would). Thus I embarked on my quest for the all in one everything goes format for both consoles that will get me the best video quality with the best audio quality. Here's what I've landed on, after probably almost 2 years of search and troubleshooting.

Encode to H264/AVC with AC3/DTS in the m2ts container. PS3 supports this natively (no transcoding required). I use the PS3 Media Server for my DLNA server, and it transcodes for XBOX360 dash board now very nicely. Also, if you're using XBOX360 as a Media Center Extender, your Windows 7 box will transcode the files on the fly to the extender for playback. Video Quality is heavily dependant on your PCs processor, but from the look of things, that won't be a problem for you. Standard Definition DVDs come through my network to my extenders very nicely, but 1080P HD content definitely suffers. I think 720p comes through fine on my quad core phenom 9550 2.2 ghz.

Just some advice from one 360 user to another. WMV is great, but file sizes are about twice as large as avc, and compatibility with other devices sucks.

Happy encoding!
Hey, thanks for the info! Lots of questions come to mind
Old 28th August 2009, 06:48   #1879  |  Link
Mrsash

Blue ray

buzz I am doing a blue ray rip of my media and the interlace test of 5% gives me this

http://forum.doom9.org/attachment.ph...1&d=1251438416

but mediainfo said its progressive. Which one should I go for?

Also adubs guide asks to use "Force directshowsource 2" will this work the best? Will it work with multithread avisynth?

Lastly is there a way to find out if you choose 1 pass encoding as to what the final size would be with

X264 in Mkv
1 pass quality
Crf value 20
extreme quality

thanks
Attached Images

Mrsash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 00:20   #1880  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

Yes it will work with Multi-Threaded Avisynth. As for if it is "best" is mostly dependent upon if you are having issues analyzing your source or not. If you can't analyze your source using the defaults, then use DSS2.

The thing with 1-pass encoding is that you DON'T know how big the final size will be. Period. If you are worried about file sizes, then use 2 pass.

Tags
bluray, hdc, hdconverttox, m2ts, network media tank, playstation, x264 gui